• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 teaser - Spartan Locke armor set

Vire

I kind of hate that the very first time we are seeing Halo 5 single player is through a Gamestop ad that looks like it was directed by Michael Bay.

I feel like I need to take a shower.

That's the Gamestop dude. He's in all their commercials.

And yeah, he's pretty bad.

They need to find a new dude or get someone who can fit the atmosphere of the video. I was watching it and was like: "Yeah if this was a live action movie it would...WTF That voice doesn't fit at all!!"

Totally killed it for me.

They need to find a new dude or get someone who can fit the atmosphere of the video. I was watching it and was like: "Yeah if this was a live action movie it would...WTF That voice doesn't fit at all!!"

Totally killed it for me.
Yeah, so cringeworty. Hopefully they upload and use that commercial without that voiceover too. Sounds like 20 year old dude bro overacting.

un1que

I wonder if the environments will be destructible and you can thrust through them?

It's Probably just to jazz the trailer up though.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but the name Locke is really off-putting. It sounds... focus-tested.

This. This is my core problem with 343i. Everything sounds so goddamn focus tested, and not made out of inspiration, passion or joy. Say what you want about Bungie, but they seeped with passion and inspiration back in the Halo days. Just the way they dealt with the community was unparalleled. It was like this little club we were all welcome to be a part of, where we could share and laugh, play and create.

Bungie was like a vintage vinyl shop, while 343i feels more like an Apple Store.

Computer

I like seeing Spartans be able to throw their weight around and do more then just being good at shooting guns. The ad was very dark and to fast at times. I had to watch it a few times to make out what the hell was going on.

Somnia

This. This is my core problem with 343i. Everything sounds so goddamn focus tested, and not made out of inspiration, passion or joy. Say what you want about Bungie, but they seeped with passion and inspiration back in the Halo days. Just the way they dealt with the community was unparalleled. It was like this little club we were all welcome to be a part of, where we could share and laugh, play and create.

Bungie was like a vintage vinyl shop, while 343i feels more like an Apple Store.

Pretty amazing how much Bungie has changed with Destiny then community wise.

I actually really like the Locke name and can't wait to see what 343 has cooked up for Halo 5.

edit: People complaining need to remember this is a GameStop trailer for pre-order stuff, it's not an MS trailer for Halo 5.

Solidsoul

Banned

I love Bungie as much as the next guy but it's not like everything they did was perfect. They both have there strengths and weaknesses. One major strength I think everyone takes for granted is 343'a ability to flesh out the universe and keep everything together and making sense. Bungie kind of played fast and loose with continuity. Also, 343 has never downright told the community to deal with it the way Bungie had in the past.

On topic, this trailer was awesome. Keeping in mind this was your standard gamestop preorder commercial I see nothing wrong with the voice.

V-Faction

Hmm. Hmmm!

Soooo, is Master Chief Collection worth it? What if for just Halo 4? I may have to catch up.

(Completely didn't realize this was a Gamestop commercial till I heard the announcer)

jelly

343, you better be allowing us to buy armour and skins and keeping the maps free..

It would be nice but Microsoft like more revenue streams not one stream replacing another and are terribly short sighted, risk averse with the games. Front load those sales, maximise map DLC and move on to the next game. Would love to be proved wrong, community is always the right course.

Somnia

Hmm. Hmmm!

Soooo, is Master Chief Collection worth it? What if for just Halo 4? I may have to catch up.

(Completely didn't realize this was a Gamestop commercial till I heard the announcer)

It's worth it for sure. For the most part I've had 0 issues in my re-playing of all the Halos for Halo 5. Multi seems to work really well for me now too.

Mesonak

Hmm. Hmmm!

For sure. You can get it for a massive discount too since it's so long after release. Buying it at launch was a nightmare due to all the issues.

TheOddOne

Hmmm have you tried #HuntingTheTruth?
KeyAndPeele-substitute-teacher.jpg

RoKKeR

I kind of hate that the very first time we are seeing Halo 5 single player is through a Gamestop ad that looks like it was directed by Michael Bay.

I feel like I need to take a shower.

The Gamestop guy's voice will do that for ya.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They keep trying to shove this new character down our throats

The entire thing is just so forced and cheesy
Would you have liked the trailer if it was Chief instead of Locke? I'm feeling pretty neutral on Locke so far, but this trailer was dope imo.

watership

They keep trying to shove this new character down our throats

The entire thing is just so forced and cheesy

What do you mean forced down our throats. If you ask the casual, they don't even know who this is. Why is it forced? Just because the plot of H5 seems to be some sort of adversarial relationship with the chief?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't like the trailer with any character. The entire thing is dude bro Spartan smash.
Hmm, I didn't get bro vibes, no more so than in other Halo stuff. It was a dude with a gun trying to look tough and cool, so yeah, there was a bit of bro-ness. It felt kinda anime inspired to me.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I wouldn't like the trailer with any character. The entire thing is dude bro Spartan smash.

Hate to break it to you but the main fanbase that's attracted to Halo is dudebro's.

I am personally a fan, Halo 1-3, and while I don't consider my tastes dude-bro-ish, that's definitely the game's main target market. Ads will target them.

oh, so then you dont like spartans in general

You can like the Halo theme and still consider the trailer dudebroish. It's. If they changed his costume with that of Superman no one would of noticed it was a Halo game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Awesome.

The opening, with the pelican, and many other assets looked like it could be in engine to me. Of course other things, specifically and especially, the smoke and dust, looked way to good to be anything but cg. Probably farmed out to a cheaper CGI studio with in game assets ala last e3's multerplayer reveal trailer

FordGTGuy

Banned
The most drastic example of "rewriting of the mythology" on Bungie's part was making a game whose events don't line up with the dates stated in a book that gets the year of its own events wrong by a decade for most of its chapters.
343, on the other hand, hired a celebrity sci-fi writer and used his talents to tell a gripping story about cavemen walking around and eating bugs for 300 pages. Is that an actual story? Because if so, stories suck and we'd be better off without them.

Wait, what? Did the books do something to their brains? I've only read up to Primordium, am I going to be okay? I don't want to end up like one of those poor souls. :(

Or you know... completely ignoring Fall of Reach in the game Reach.

So I can only get this armor at GameStop, sigh. Well I wonder what the limited editions will have. I might go put 5 dollars down on it.

blamite

Eh, not really feeling it. Looks lore like a new Crysis or something than Halo to me.

343's strategy with Locke seems to basically "he's Palmer, but we're going to go way out of our way to show you that he's The Cool New Guy before the game comes out so you're not so hostile when we replace the Chief with him." Which I'll admit is an improvement, but they still haven't given much in the way of reasons to care about him other that he's a Badass hunting the Chief because of Reasons. I don't really see what part of that could cause people to declare themselves #teamLocke, but more power to ya I guess.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Looking at the dust, this is no way in game, but looks pretty cool nonetheless.

Synth

Eh, not really feeling it. Looks lore like a new Crysis or something than Halo to me.

343's strategy with Locke seems to basically "he's Palmer, but we're going to go way out of our way to show you that he's The Cool New Guy before the game comes out so you're not so hostile when we replace the Chief with him." Which I'll admit is an improvement, but they still haven't given much in the way of reasons to care about him other that he's a Badass hunting the Chief because of Reasons. I don't really see what part of that could cause people to declare themselves #teamLocke, but more power to ya I guess.

How many reasons can they realistically give you before the character gets to star in their first game? Maybe let Halo 5 happen, and then start to judge the character. Maybe "because of reasons" will make more sense then?

Top Bottom