• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Heavenly Sword gameplay screenshots

Speevy said:
Hot stuff. HS=Must buy
Speevy...what happend to you? You bought a Wii and now a PS3.

Are you okay...?

Edit:
And the demo was great. I noticed tearing once(The screen split in half lol). Apart from that it was easily playable anyone who says elswise is out to lunch. Sept 9 it's mine.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
CrushDance said:

Are you okay...?

Edit:
And the demo was great. I noticed tearing once(The screen split in half lol). Apart from that it was easily playable anyone who says elswise is out to lunch. Sept 9 it's mine.
Drugs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
CrushDance said:

Are you okay...?

Edit:
15 dollars down so far. Will have to make it happen within my next 3 paychecks.

Chrono said:
What exactly does screen tearing mean? Is it that horizontal 'split' between the top and bottom parts of the screen? I don't see it in those pics... that happened to me when I played the Sigma demo and DMC3 on my monitor - turning the TV off then on fixed it... I guess that won't work with Heavenly Sword? :p

It's a strange kind of horizontal split in the picture that ripples down the screen. Jak and Daxter was the first place I encountered it but I didn't know it was called 'screen-tearing' for a long time. I can't say I've ever really been bothered by it, it's certainly never deterred me from playing a game.

bud said:
why is there tearing in the third screenshot? i thought it was going to be locked at 30fps.
When Nariko jumped down the pillar where she fought the guys and it crashed it lagged for a bit when she landed. It was really quick but I caught it.

There's still some things to work out. I think the retail game will be much better.

But to be honest, I hate the character designs of the snake lady and the fat guy and the enemies are to bland as well.

I was expecting tons of different enemies but for the most part it seems just like these guys and what really bothers me as well is the "lets stand around and watch Nariko fight parts" in the pictures posted you can so Bohan doing that, as did mr. fox.

It's just so lame...

I would have rather it had the tone of the anime shorts. Bohan seems like a retard...all the enemies seem like retards.

/bitch

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
freethought said:
It's a strange kind of horizontal split in the picture that ripples down the screen. Jak and Daxter was the first place I encountered it but I didn't know it was called 'screen-tearing' for a long time. I can't say I've ever really been bothered by it, it's certainly never deterred me from playing a game.
My thoughts exactly. Unless it is something so bad that is actually throws the gameplay and timing of things. In that case then I see no developer actually releasing such a product.

antiloop

CrushDance said:
When Nariko jumped down the pillar where she fought the guys and it crashed it lagged for a bit when she landed. It was really quick but I caught it.

There's still some things to work out. I think the retail game will be much better.

But to be honest, I hate the character designs of the snake lady and the fat guy and the enemies are to bland as well.

I was expecting tons of different enemies but for the most part it seems just like these guys and what really bothers me as well is the "lets stand around and watch Nariko fight parts" in the pictures posted you can so Bohan doing that, as did mr. fox.

It's just so lame...

I would have rather it had the tone of the anime shorts. Bohan seems like a retard...all the enemies seem like retards.

/bitch

I agree on the regular enemies but I like the other characters.

antiloop said:
I agree on the regular enemies but I like the other characters.
I'm not saying the game is bad or anything. But EVERYTHING apart from some characters seem generic in the games whole scale. Like when Bohans men are taking the clansmen away they all look the same AIEEE!

I think the focused on this "beautiful, epic, martial arts, drama" a wee bit to much. I want crazy enemies!

Speevy said:
I'm great. Warhawk later this month.
:lol

Chrono

Banned
Ok, just one last question... :p

What's the difference of screen tearing when it's the game's fault, like I guess here in Heavenly Sword, and when it's just your TV/monitor? I know with the latter it's because the monitor is out of sync with the console or just can't draw as many frames... in my case like I said turning the TV off then on fixes this when playing 60fps games like DMC3. What's happening in the console for a game like HS for this to happen regardless of what monitor/TV you're using?

Edit: what the hell, another question. Sometimes I see black streaks flickering around a game screen - this is noticeable in MGS3... what is that called? I originally thought that was screen tearing.

Edit 2: I just checked the screen people were saying it has tearing and and now I can't unsee it. Dammit. :lol It should be less noticeable while playing though.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Holy shit at all the people having tearing issues. I've played the demo numerous times and have yet to come across tearing once. The only problem I've encountered was that the music would drop out for a few seconds.

Anyways, game looks superb as usual.

Guts Of Thor said:
Holy shit at all the people having tearing issues. I've played the demo numerous times and have yet to come across tearing once. The only problem I've encountered was that the music would drop out for a few seconds.

Anyways, game looks superb as usual.

if you watch some vids, it does seem to be a problem in some stages...but if it is ironed out for release, excellent. I dont think they should release a game until most of the technical issues are resolved, I dont mind waiting longer

f@luS

More than a member.
some tearing aint that bad guys, get over it. It will be like ninja gaiden , one tearing every 3minutes, who care. its not like splinter cell on xbox which had every 10sec.

XSamu

Banned
The awesomeness dropped by a couple of the degrees now Ninja Gaiden 2 has been pretty much announced for TGS.

damn I hope NG2 will have as much of diversity in the levels as Heavenly Sword, would be nice to not only fight in Tairon etc :/

XSamu said:
The awesomeness dropped by a couple of the degrees now Ninja Gaiden 2 has been pretty much announced for TGS.

damn I hope NG2 will have as much of diversity in the levels as Heavenly Sword, would be nice to not only fight in Tairon etc :/

not for me....Im looking forward to HS more, NG is dope, and Im sure it will be prefered by hard core action enthusiasts...but HS looks to be superior in art, world design, music and story.

Z3F

Banned
artredis1980 said:
28129611220070818115653.jpg

Loved every pic except for this one. Something just doesn't look right here. And can someone tell me why the hell we're talking about DMC and Gaiden here when none of their games are even close to be released. This comparison stuff is getting out of control.

Z3F said:
Loved every pic except for this one. Something just doesn't look right here. And can someone tell me why the hell we're talking about DMC and Gaiden here when none of their games are even close to be released. This comparison stuff is getting out of control.

see it in motion...that stage looks spectacular...the lighting and the atmosphere are excellent

Z3F

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
see it in motion...that stage looks spectacular...the lighting and the atmosphere are excellent

After some consideration, I think that shot looks weird because the camera's so far away that it just looks like a bunch of stick figures. Everything just looks kinda low-poly from that far away. Perhaps, it's just to show you what you're going against? Also, it'll be kinda hard to see what moves you are pulling off when she is that small.

Steroyd

nategc said:
is it me, or did this pic pretty much summed up my fears for this game.

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/28129611220070818115653.jpg[IMG]

i hope that the enemies don't just stand there and just wait to get hit like they did in the demo. Because in this pic they are just looking at you until the first wave gets depleted :P[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you complained about that while watching a Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee movie, which the devs are aiming to achieve.

OMG Bruce Lee sucks they only attack one at a time in his movies 11!!!1!11

Thank god I don't notice tearing or textures bunch of miserable people.

DSWii60

I just saw a part of the final battle of the game (and some other parts):

In the part of the final battle which I saw, you have to fire and guide cannonballs (guiding done using the sixaxis) onto the army attacking below. The other part which I saw was where Nariko was attacking this fortress in a jungle-like environment and could take out enemies using fire-arrows which she could fire and then we could guide with the sixaxis towards the barrels which then exploded killing all enemies around them.

General thoughts:

The combo system + stance system look good and each enemy needs to be approached in a different way with a different stance and using different combos. The AI is good during the actual fight, but what I don't like is that when you come across a group of enemies, only the one you are fighting actually does anything, the rest just hang back doing nothing until you get really close to them.

Z3F

Banned
Steroyd said:
I'm sure you complained about that while watching a Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee movie, which the devs are aiming to achieve.

OMG Bruce Lee sucks they only attack one at a time in his movies 11!!!1!11

Thank god I don't notice tearing or textures bunch of miserable people.

For some reaon, HS reminds me more of 300 than Chinese martial arts movies even though HS has an Asian setting.

SamBishop

Banned
Z3F said:
After some consideration, I think that shot looks weird because the camera's so far away that it just looks like a bunch of stick figures. Everything just looks kinda low-poly from that far away. Perhaps, it's just to show you what you're going against? Also, it'll be kinda hard to see what moves you are pulling off when she is that small.

Or maybe it looks like that in game. It won't matter by the time you get there, though, because you will be on a goddamn mission to wreck shit. That's all I can say.

Guts Of Thor said:
Holy shit at all the people having tearing issues. I've played the demo numerous times and have yet to come across tearing once.
Consider yourself lucky. The demo had its fair share of tearing (which was commented on in the demo thread). Just hope they get it sorted out so it's a rarity rather than fairly common as seen in vids of the game.

Psychotext said:
Consider yourself lucky. The demo had its fair share of tearing (which was commented on in the demo thread). Just hope they get it sorted out so it's a rarity rather than fairly common as seen in vids of the game.

I experienced tearing in the demo but I'm so caught up in the action that I don't really notice.

Yeah, this is by far one of the best looking next-gen games coming out this year. I don't blame people for being slightly underwhelmed by these shots but the actual game tells a different tale. It's amazing.

Cmagus

wow they need to hurry up and get this game out.There are too many screens and videos now lol I stopped watching I mean I've seen so much I feel like I've already played half the game

Kyo

Kyo said:
I know the selection isn't the best, didn't have much time for those screenshots on Friday and for some reason the game crashed on me twice while loading a certain level I wanted to show. We'll have more shots next week and those will be more carefully chosen, I promise. :)

I'd like to keep the promise made above. Our review of the game just went up (it's in German though, the rating is 81%). We've released several batches of in-game screenshots in the last two weeks and I've hand-picked about 20 shots to go with the review. Those showcase the amazing graphics of the game much better than that first batch, so check them out:

http://www.videogameszone.de/?menu=browser&article_id=611861&mag=25
As usual you'll only get the full resolution when you click on "Bild in Originalgröße" below.

Here's one of my favorite action shots:
Heavenly_Sword_PS3_PLAYZONE-042.jpg

All framerate and tearing issues aside I think this is one of the most beautiful games around! :)

itxaka

Defeatist
I did understand that you couldn´t get the tearing to show on a screenshot??

anyway, if tearing no buy. If addresed or just little, must buy while waiting for GOW3. Just hope that the arrow-sniper missions are not as boring as they appear on the videos.

Kyo

itxaka said:
I did understand that you couldn´t get the tearing to show on a screenshot??

Oh, quite the opposite. Tearing makes taking screenshots quite difficult - thank god we have capturing hardware that runs at 60 fps, even with the worst tearing we usually get some clean frames inbetween (at least with 30fps games). I do mention the tearing in my review but I didn't pick any shots with obvious tearing to illustrate that point. It's not really that big a deal during the actual fighting, it just looks really bad when the camera pans from left to right to show some landscape.

Top Bottom