• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hot Shots Golf/Everybody's Golf/Minna Golf Beta Test

krae_man

I love what they did with the flyers in this game. Instead of them being random, there's a specific spot in the impact area that is black. Hit your impact press in there, and you get a flyer. There were multiple times I landed in a fairway bunker and didn't have the club length to hit the green, but intentionally did a flyer hit and made it.

hort22

hey Griss are you sure on the no links course...in the list of greyed out courses, course 5 looked like it had potential to be a links style course.

Griss

hey Griss are you sure on the no links course...in the list of greyed out courses, course 5 looked like it had potential to be a links style course.

I'm not sure, no, but it was called "Imperial Gardens" and looked like, well... gardens. Looked like either an Augusta National type 'manicured course' set up or a castle-themed course. Of course, that's going from a name and a tiny, tiny thumbnail, so it's all conjecture. But I think if it was a links course it would be fairly obvious.

I can't boot the game up any more to check, but if I recall correctly the course list was:
Eagle City G.C - Parkland Course (classic municipal / city style)
Alpina Forest - Alpine / Forest Course (no shit)
Kamaloa Beach - Seaside / Resort Course (sounds hawaiian)
Vortex Valley - Desert / Canyon course
Imperial Gardens - Gardens / Castle?

EDIT: Gematsu shows that there will be 5 DLC courses - one as a preorder, a pack of three and then another one. Two of them are called 20th Anniversary Commemorative courses - implying returning favourites. So that's 10 courses total, which is awesome. Not a fan of preorder DLC, but as I'll be preordering this, I'll have 6 courses on day 1.

So, if you could bring back two courses from past games which would you choose for the 20th anniversary DLC? Taking into account the list above, I suppose, otherwise I'd always choose the beach courses, lol, but we're already getting one.

jpg

Neo Member
If I had to pick my favorite courses from World Invitational, I'd say La Province and Northern Fox, and I choose those partly because of the music, so they better bring back the music with the courses. I didn't love the music from the course in the beta, so I hope the others are an improvement.

I have one question after playing the beta. So is "Daily Ranking" the new "Daily International Tournament?" This was one of my favorite parts of playing World Invitational, just hopping on once a day to play the daily and seeing where I ranked the next day. I have to say though, if we can re-enter the tournament as many times as we want to try for a better score I don't know if I like that.

hort22

well castle style could be related to links...although it could also be united forest like...which was on 3 and fore.

so they will be re releasing 2 older courses with the same 9 hole open world treatment?

favorite game has always been fore so maybe a couple from that game...always liked how you could change the weather to all 4 seasons and each course would play different with each setting.

If I had to pick my favorite courses from World Invitational, I'd say La Province and Northern Fox, and I choose those partly because of the music, so they better bring back the music with the courses. I didn't love the music from the course in the beta, so I hope the others are an improvement.

I have one question after playing the beta. So is "Daily Ranking" the new "Daily International Tournament?" This was one of my favorite parts of playing World Invitational, just hopping on once a day to play the daily and seeing where I ranked the next day. I have to say though, if we can re-enter the tournament as many times as we want to try for a better score I don't know if I like that.

I don't think they would bring back Northern Fox, because it's already a classic course (from Fore).

I want Crown Links from Out of Bounds, mainly because of that insane par 3 that is just a downhill slope into water. Getting a hole-in-one on that is still my favorite HSG memory.

Second one would be Day Dream from Fore, but I don't think they would add two final courses. Silk Road Classic would be awesome but that would overlap with Imperial Gardens it seems like.

kdoll08

I really enjoy the daily tournament the way it is setup in World Invitational right now also. I hope when the final game comes out it is a one time daily and not enter as many as you like. 3 months is going to be a long wait. I had a great time with the beta and discussing it with friends while playing. I'll write up my total thoughts sometime soon and share them.

krae_man

I really enjoy the daily tournament the way it is setup in World Invitational right now also. I hope when the final game comes out it is a one time daily and not enter as many as you like. 3 months is going to be a long wait. I had a great time with the beta and discussing it with friends while playing. I'll write up my total thoughts sometime soon and share them.

I hope the leaderboards don't punish missing dailies. I'll be at PAX two days after the game releases.

Guess I could try remote play on Vita if the lag isn't too bad. Then again, at least I'll rank if I can't do well.

I remember with World Invitational in the beginning, if you missed a daily, you were fucked, you lost those points and you could never get them back.

Griss

well castle style could be related to links...although it could also be united forest like...which was on 3 and fore.

so they will be re releasing 2 older courses with the same 9 hole open world treatment?

favorite game has always been fore so maybe a couple from that game...always liked how you could change the weather to all 4 seasons and each course would play different with each setting.

It's interesting that you mention 9 hole treatment, as in the final game I imagine the front and back 9s will be separated. Makes sense, but I wonder how they'll handle that. When you play 9 the game will probably have to load the back 9 and take you to a different 'server'.

It'll also be tricky for them to fit classic courses with holes that were never designed to 'fit together' into a cohesive course design.

I don't think they would bring back Northern Fox, because it's already a classic course (from Fore).

I want Crown Links from Out of Bounds, mainly because of that insane par 3 that is just a downhill slope into water. Getting a hole-in-one on that is still my favorite HSG memory.

Second one would be Day Dream from Fore, but I don't think they would add two final courses. Silk Road Classic would be awesome but that would overlap with Imperial Gardens it seems like.

Crown Links? You sadist.

I personally love Harvest Hills from EG6 and also Great Safari C.C. from EG5. Easy-to-moderate difficulty, fun and unique settings. Those would be my picks.

-NeoTB1-

Honestly, this was my biggest gripe in an otherwise fantastic beta experience. I thought the music from the past couple of games (especially World Invitational) was great and fit the courses well. I didn't really get the same feeling here with Eagle City CC, but it could be I'll warm up to it the more I play. Still, I probably logged somewhere around 10 hours into the beta this weekend. I really dig the course and style of play. The social aspect was kinda fun, too... although I'm sure it will be a smoother experience come retail. Both modes were great fun. August 29 can't get here soon enough!

kdoll08

Ok so I guess I will post my thoughts on the beta both positive and negative.

Let's start with the positive. I really love the 9 hole connected course layout. It's pretty cool running around with a bunch of people on the course and once you start a real round they don't get in the way at all. I think they have made changes to the physics of the game that seem closer to real golf, especially with the way the ball rolls on the green compared to previous titles. I enjoy the character creator and building up my own golfer from scratch, I have always wanted this in a Hot Shots game. It looks like there will be tons of customization and some of you guys are much more creative than I am. One world server is awesome and there were around 7000 people that played the beta. Compared with how empty the game usually is on the U.S. server this is a welcome change even if it will be harder to make g0 rank now. Turf War is a lot of fun if you have at least 4 people per team and they seem to know what they are doing. This will be a great way to kill time when there is a wait for a tourney to start. I think the game environment looks great on the course and can't wait to see some of the new courses. From messing around in the menus it looks like we will get at least 10 course with the DLC that has already been announced, there were only 9 in the last title. It also appears that vs character will be returning based on the character screen and the hub world menu. Lastly it's nice that we seem to be getting 3 tee lengths now so we aren't approaching a par 5 with a 9 iron joy.

Ok now for the negative. I really wish we still had 2 click putting. Although I feel like I adjusted to it fine but on longer putts I want more control back in my hands. Also the lack of swing types is concerning although this could just be the beta and we will get more at retail release. I really don't like the idea of consumable balls that you need to keep buying. If Clap Hanz needs to sell DLC and wants to let us buy costumes that is fine but I don't want to have to keep spending real money to get infinity balls for every round I play. I think they need to adjust how the levels for clubs go up. Unless you are hitting for the green the only stat that goes up is power. They need to adjust this for clubs like 1w-5w so that they can get control stats boost easier in my opinion. Lastly there were a few bugs in the game with regards to the scoring and matchmaking for Turf War. As long as those are ironed out before release I will be happy.

Overall I had a great time with the beta and can't wait until August 29 for the final game.

Ok so I guess I will post my thoughts on the beta both

Ok now for the negative. I really wish we still had 2 click putting. Although I feel like I adjusted to it fine but on longer putts I want more control back in my hands. Also the lack of swing types is concerning although this could just be the beta and we will get more at retail release.

I wanted to ask if anyone had leveled up enough to have one of the alternate swing meters offered to you, as was the case with Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational? I know I liked the fourth one offered that required the play to gauge the "power" click from the animation, rather than the swing meter. I know this wouldn't necessarily address the 2-click putting you're asking for, but perhaps there's something more laying in wait in that regard as a 'level up' bonus option in the future?

Griss

Ok so I guess I will post my thoughts on the beta both positive and negative.

Let's start with the positive. I really love the 9 hole connected course layout. It's pretty cool running around with a bunch of people on the course and once you start a real round they don't get in the way at all. I think they have made changes to the physics of the game that seem closer to real golf, especially with the way the ball rolls on the green compared to previous titles. I enjoy the character creator and building up my own golfer from scratch, I have always wanted this in a Hot Shots game. It looks like there will be tons of customization and some of you guys are much more creative than I am. One world server is awesome and there were around 7000 people that played the beta. Compared with how empty the game usually is on the U.S. server this is a welcome change even if it will be harder to make g0 rank now. Turf War is a lot of fun if you have at least 4 people per team and they seem to know what they are doing. This will be a great way to kill time when there is a wait for a tourney to start. I think the game environment looks great on the course and can't wait to see some of the new courses. From messing around in the menus it looks like we will get at least 10 course with the DLC that has already been announced, there were only 9 in the last title. It also appears that vs character will be returning based on the character screen and the hub world menu. Lastly it's nice that we seem to be getting 3 tee lengths now so we aren't approaching a par 5 with a 9 iron joy.

Ok now for the negative. I really wish we still had 2 click putting. Although I feel like I adjusted to it fine but on longer putts I want more control back in my hands. Also the lack of swing types is concerning although this could just be the beta and we will get more at retail release. I really don't like the idea of consumable balls that you need to keep buying. If Clap Hanz needs to sell DLC and wants to let us buy costumes that is fine but I don't want to have to keep spending real money to get infinity balls for every round I play. I think they need to adjust how the levels for clubs go up. Unless you are hitting for the green the only stat that goes up is power. They need to adjust this for clubs like 1w-5w so that they can get control stats boost easier in my opinion. Lastly there were a few bugs in the game with regards to the scoring and matchmaking for Turf War. As long as those are ironed out before release I will be happy.

Overall I had a great time with the beta and can't wait until August 29 for the final game.

I agree with all of that with the exception of the putting. In real golf, keeping your putter straight through your stroke is half the battle (distance being the other half). In 2-click putting, distance was the only concern. The new way is better as you have to execute the stroke 'straight' as well, you can now push or pull putts like in real life. All of that's not considering reading the putt, of course (maybe the biggest part of the whole thing), I'm just talking about the stroke itself.

But otherwise I agree that the levelling system and potential for microtransaction abuse are my biggest concerns. And I also agree that they need to have different swing options again - my favourite was the curved bar to set power that became a circle to set tempo / accuracy. Would love to see that return.

shandy706

Well, before I give my thoughts on the beta, take a look at this shot...

Chip in on hole #2

I'll be honest I laughed my ass off. And I'm impressed that it can happen, as it's true to the rules of golf. Did this happen in other Everybody's Golf games? I've put in 100+ hours and it's never happened to me before.

Bahaha

Can't wait to get this game.

Setzer

I agree with all of that with the exception of the putting. In real golf, keeping your putter straight through your stroke is half the battle (distance being the other half). In 2-click putting, distance was the only concern. The new way is better as you have to execute the stroke 'straight' as well, you can now push or pull putts like in real life. All of that's not considering reading the putt, of course (maybe the biggest part of the whole thing), I'm just talking about the stroke itself.

Agreed. I always wondered why they never used 3 clicks for putting before but I view this as a good change.

As far as DLC goes, it will piss me off if they make the online portion of the game Pay2win. I'm fine with there being different costumes you can buy or even new courses but if they go as far as making better clubs and balls available in the shop then I'll probably not even bother with the online part of the game.

purbeast

I don't think anyone has stated this yet, but do they have the "advanged" shot system in this game, which was the default in HSG:OOB, where you do the 3 clicks at different stages in the backswing, instead along the horizontal bar? I hated that the PSVita port on PS3 didn't include this.

Griss

Agreed. I always wondered why they never used 3 clicks for putting before but I view this as a good change.

As far as DLC goes, it will piss me off if they make the online portion of the game Pay2win. I'm fine with there being different costumes you can buy or even new courses but if they go as far as making better clubs and balls available in the shop then I'll probably not even bother with the online part of the game.

Agreed regarding the DLC. However as I'm not much of an online gamer and just play to beat my personal best each time it's not a make or break for me. But yes, it would be disappointing to see them do what they did with EG6 and sell the best clubs and balls online so that to compete you really needed to shell out.

I resisted that and it didn't effect my enjoyment of the game and I could do so again, but it would be disappointing.

I don't think anyone has stated this yet, but do they have the "advanged" shot system in this game, which was the default in HSG:OOB, where you do the 3 clicks at different stages in the backswing, instead along the horizontal bar? I hated that the PSVita port on PS3 didn't include this.

There were no alternate swing modes in the beta - just the bog standard flat bar. I don't think anyone knows for sure if there will be alternate swing modes.

purbeast

Thanks for the alt swing info. I really hope they add the advanced swing back, I preferred that greatly to the traditional 3 click.

I really hope they add the advanced swing back, I preferred that greatly to the traditional 3 click.

i'll be shocked if they don't offer the advanced swing meter options. I encountered a lot of people online who preferred them. It's a bit troubling that I've seen nothing in any official literature about this yet, but Clap Hanz has their own way of doing things.

purbeast

i'll be shocked if they don't offer the advanced swing meter options. I encountered a lot of people online who preferred them. It's a bit troubling that I've seen nothing in any official literature about this yet, but Clap Hanz has their own way of doing things.

I don't remember 100% but I thought in HSG6 (the Vita port) that it did not have the advanced swing. I am pretty sure it only had the traditional 3 click.

Griss

I don't remember 100% but I thought in HSG6 (the Vita port) that it did not have the advanced swing. I am pretty sure it only had the traditional 3 click.

It had multiple swing options, it just didn't have the one where the power you set was based on where the golfer was in the animation itself. That one was from EG5 (Hot Shots: Out of Bounds). To be fair, it really was so damn difficult to judge what was 75% or such like with that system.

purbeast

It had multiple swing options, it just didn't have the one where the power you set was based on where the golfer was in the animation itself. That one was from EG5 (Hot Shots: Out of Bounds). To be fair, it really was so damn difficult to judge what was 75% or such like with that system.

There was a flash at 25%, 50%, and 75% in that swing mode. After I got used to it the advanced was definitely my favorite.

The last Hot Shots Golf game I bought for my PS3 was Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational, and I recall it having an Advanced swing interface that used the golfer animation (and possibly a flash... it's been a long time since I've played it) as the "Power" click of the 3-click process.

krae_man

There was a flash at 25%, 50%, and 75% in that swing mode. After I got used to it the advanced was definitely my favorite.

Well in OOB the advanced shot got a yardage boost. That's why everyone liked it. Now, you buy yardage boosts with real money.

BigEmil

Crossposting from first party thread for mobile Everybody's Golf:

ForwardWorks YouTube channel finally posted gameplay footage of Hot Shots Golf mobile looks lit:

https://youtu.be/ayBu5vaQIG4

Description through Google translate:

" That national golf game appeared in the smartphone!
"Mingol" announcement promotion movie
A national golf game where you can enjoy anytime, anywhere.
Raise your own character, go round the course of the world, aim for the best player! In the case of
Everyone, everyone, easy operation, everyone is scary and exhilarating shot!
▼ Pre-registration is in process! Detail · For further information from here
"Mingol" official website
https://www.mingol.com "

And then much more details and images and stuff in that Mingol website including pre-registration etc

kdoll08

I setup a Japan Apple account so I can download this to check it out. It does seem odd to me though that they choose not to do the 3 click shot system. That seems like a natural for a phone game. It's free so I'll at least give it a try.

krae_man

Is this really the case for the PS4 game?

It didn't have a power advantage in the Vita/PS3 game. It was just an option you could pick if you want.

Damn the beta is over? Sad I never got a code. Back to the hunt for the WI platinum on Vita.

All I need is a Albatross and the damn thing just won't happen. Hole in ones, and chip in eagles greater distances then some of these approach shots on short par 5's? No problem. Alby? damn thing just won't drop.

neilyadig

It didn't have a power advantage in the Vita/PS3 game. It was just an option you could pick if you want.

I was referring to buying yardage boosts with real money - is this the case? I haven't read anything about microtransactions for yardage boosts in the PS4 game

Originally Posted by krae_man
"Well in OOB the advanced shot got a yardage boost. That's why everyone liked it. Now, you buy yardage boosts with real money."

Is this really the case for the PS4 game?

I've been digging around trying to find some mention in any of the previews I can find, but there is no mention made anywhere that I can see about and advanced shot meter(s). That doesn't mean that they won't be there (and I suspect they will), it just means that Clap Hanz is keeping their cards close to their vest.

Ravage

Just saw some footage of Turf War on Youtube, and i gotta say...it looks really fun!

Never knew i wanted a mode like this lol.

Top Bottom