• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hot Shots Golf/Everybody's Golf/Minna Golf Beta Test

Hope they start moderating the names when the actual game comes out. I've already seen some ugly stuff and I have zero interest in seeing that when the full game is out.

Hope the Pro version at least adds some level of AA. Should come fairly cheap considering how unintensive the main game is. Other than that, it looks like the Hot Shots Crack I've grown to know and love.

LordofPwn

Disappointing is a bit of an understatement.
Dropped frames while trying to take a shot on numerous occasions. throws off timing. Graphics are a bogey, UI/nav is bad.

The character creator was better than I anticipated though.

Graphics are fine but everything else is a slog to get to the gameplay. There is a good game in here surrounded but unnecessary crap.

It seems incredibly easy to ignore considering you can jump straight into a 9 hole game from the menu and then it teleports you from hole to hole (much like the original).

The characters may have lost a lot of their charm, but the game play is solid and fun.

Dragnet

Has anyone found a way of joining friends yet? Looks like some of the framework is there for it! Me and the buds just wanna jam!

Nothus

So what's everyone's best results for the nine holes?
I've managed to finish 8 under so far. The guys at the top of the leaderboard have scores of 15 under par! I mean, am I missing something because I can't see how the hell you could even achieve such a score.

Intel_89

Overall impressions seem like people are happy with the gameplay, but disappointed with the graphics/sound.

Hoping gameplay makes up for the rest.

Even then, I think the characters look pretty decent despite how janky everything else is and I'm really digging the soundtrack but the characters voices are beyond terrible. But yeah the game is fun. This could work as a PS+ game, at 40€ though I doubt it'll manage to sell a ton at launch.

Steiner

Banned
To be honest, I thought everything was solid. I've played a few HSG games and I came in with the expectations of a HSG game. Was not disappointed.

I did not notice extreme aliasing. It is minor, and not disruptive at all. I think the game looks fine.

Just press start and select nine holes to do a traditional round, guys. You don't have to run from hole to hole.

Gameplay is solid. I had no frame rate issues messing up my shots at all. Zero. I had a lot of fun, and I like that your stats and clubs are leveling up and gaining experience with every good shot. I've already been pulling off some cool trick shots.

I like having people running around. The world feels alive that way. It has that magic of HSG World Invitational online lobbies where you could run and jump around with your friends.

I also enjoyed the music and didn't end up turning it down. Different strokes (golf pun).

Also keep in mind that betas are their own separate build of the game that "goes gold" in its own way and takes time. We're playing an old build of this game, so visuals and performance aren't going to reflect the final version faithfully. No idea why some of you are judging this like you would a final retail version.

I'm getting back on the green today and can't wait.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I would love to play this beta. My friends and I have far more hours logged into the PS3 game than any other game on the system. We still play it together regularly.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I was buying anyway, but I was part a Turf War win last night for the record books, that definitely would've swayed me if I were on the fence. Playing 5 holes, it was us ahead by a lot on 2 holes, them also ahead by a lot on 2 holes, and us trailing by 2 points on the 5th home, with only a few seconds left. The tornado cups were turned on, which, for those yet to experience it, means there are vortexes active over the cups on each green, and near shots have a far greater chance of being pulled in. On a par 5 which I did not have time to finish, I hit my third shot as essentially a buzzer beater, as the clock ran out while my shot was in the air. I got a great forward kick from a small ridge in front of the green, and that ball looked like it had a string on it, pulling it towards the cup. It had just enough roll to get near enough to get caught in the vortex, rolled in as an eagle. Boom - 4 points, and our 2 point deficit ended up as a 2 point win, giving us the match.

So awesome!

Turf War is extremely fun

Even then, I think the characters look pretty decent despite how janky everything else is and I'm really digging the soundtrack but the characters voices are beyond terrible. But yeah the game is fun. This could work as a PS+ game, at 40€ though I doubt it'll manage to sell a ton at launch.

My guy looks like a burnout druggie and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

krae_man

I managed a -5 yesterday which is pretty good when you can only drive it 200 yards.

I won't be able to play a ton and build my stats till Sunday.

Setzer

To be honest, I thought everything was solid. I've played a few HSG games and I came in with the expectations of a HSG game. Was not disappointed.

I did not notice extreme aliasing. It is minor, and not disruptive at all. I think the game looks fine.

Just press start and select nine holes to do a traditional round, guys. You don't have to run from hole to hole.

Gameplay is solid. I had no frame rate issues messing up my shots at all. Zero. I had a lot of fun, and I like that your stats and clubs are leveling up and gaining experience with every good shot. I've already been pulling off some cool trick shots.

I like having people running around. The world feels alive that way. It has that magic of HSG World Invitational online lobbies where you could run and jump around with your friends.

I also enjoyed the music and didn't end up turning it down. Different strokes (golf pun).

Also keep in mind that betas are their own separate build of the game that "goes gold" in its own way and takes time. We're playing an old build of this game, so visuals and performance aren't going to reflect the final version faithfully. No idea why some of you are judging this like you would a final retail version.

I'm getting back on the green today and can't wait.

Awesome! Great to hear!

I asked this yesterday but didn't get a response. Can you change the weather/seasons like you could in HSG4?

turf war is a bit of a shambles people take forever to hole out so you're stuck in the mean time which people warping through while you're stuck in your finishig pose.

I've managed to finish 8 under so far. The guys at the top of the leaderboard have scores of 15 under par! I mean, am I missing something because I can't see how the hell you could even achieve such a score.

Aren't there 3 holes you can get hole in one? I could see it possible.

HoTHiTTeR

Aren't there 3 holes you can get hole in one? I could see it possible.
Yeah, and I've eagled the first two holes. There some some savants in the EU and JP zones that are insanely good. They also used traditional shot on the last game, vs the circle shot that they got rid of in this version.

Any concern with this game is pretty much wiped out with this beta, real bummed that it's still three months away.

I saw the Vs. Character thing, and I assume that's the same as in previous games where if you beat them you unlock them (Although I don't expect anything too crazy as far as characters go, seeing Suzuki gives me a little bit of hope).

If you do, I hope they have set stats for their clubs and stuff (making them like old HSG characters).

Overall though, it feels really good to play a new Everybody's Golf game. It's going to be a long wait once this beta ends.

Yoshida, need his ass whooped for not having a studio, he is over, not integrate VR into a game like golf that lends itself very well to the concept.

purbeast

Anyone have a spare code? I doubt anyone will at this point but worth a shot!

Also, do they have the advanced shot mode where you press the clicks during the actual swing and not with the 3 click bar? I always preferred that mode in HSG:OOB. From the video's I've seen, I don't see that anywhere.

So your driver maxes out at 230y in the beta (with a power shot).

I also found out that on hole 3, if you aim your first shot way off to the left (make it land on the 1st hole fairway), you can get to the green in 2 if your club is leveled enough. Once I get my 3w leveled enough I should be able to get on the green in 2 consistently without relying on wind.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I also found out that on hole 3, if you aim your first shot way off to the left (make it land on the 1st hole fairway), you can get to the green in 2 if your club is leveled enough. Once I get my 3w leveled enough I should be able to get on the green in 2 consistently without relying on wind.

Well hopefully they'll fix that in the full game because it should be out of bounds?

purbeast

It's not out of bounds to hit onto other holes in golf. It's only out of bounds if you hit it past the white out of bounds markers. This is just new to HSG since before each hole was alone by itself (and actually all golf games now that I think about it).

It's not out of bounds to hit onto other holes in golf. It's only out of bounds if you hit it past the white out of bounds markers. This is just new to HSG since before each hole was alone by itself (and actually all golf games now that I think about it).

Yep, as long as there are no OOB markers between holes, it's fair game. It's really awesome that you can actually do that now. Used to play golf on a lot of tight courses with holes packed next to each other, and playing off the wrong fairway was a pretty common occurrence.

Guy at the top of the leaderboard now has a score of 25 under par lol

Okay, this seems impossible with the current stat cap in the beta. This means they cleared the course in 11 strokes, SEVEN holes in one.

Edit: Since the game is recording everything, they should let you watch the replay of the highest scoring holes in the single hole challenge.

PSFore

Neo Member
we are too ashamed- with this global sever it's a whole new world of competition- and the Japanese are kicking our behinds.

jpg

Neo Member
Someone was kind enough to gift me their EU beta code. I created an EU PSN account and I'm downloading the beta now. Does the beta require PS+ since it's an online beta? Also can I pay on my US account once I've downloaded and launched the beta application using the EU account?

Someone was kind enough to gift me their EU beta code. I created an EU PSN account and I'm downloading the beta now. Does the beta require PS+ since it's an online beta? Also can I pay on my US account once I've downloaded and launched the beta application using the EU account?
You can play on US account. Just make sure your EU account is set to primary PS4

Grassy

Disappointing is a bit of an understatement.
Dropped frames while trying to take a shot on numerous occasions. throws off timing. Graphics are a bogey, UI/nav is bad.

The character creator was better than I anticipated though.

I haven't experienced this once in the beta. Maybe try and rebuild your PS4 database? It could also be something to do with your internet connection I guess.

-8 for me as well, that was with an eagle on one of the par 5's and two holes where I only got par, so I should have gone -10.

On hole 5(I think, par 5) you can see the furthest drives off the tee are on the fairway on the hole to the right, well except for the furthest drive which I hit last night :)
My shot bounced up off the edge of the fairway on the right hand side and just rolled for ages, I think it was ~266 yards so I was pretty stoked with that.

Okay, this seems impossible with the current stat cap in the beta. This means they cleared the course in 11 strokes, SEVEN holes in one.

Edit: Since the game is recording everything, they should let you watch the replay of the highest scoring holes in the single hole challenge.

There must be some kind of bug where you can move out of the tee area and move all the way to the green for your first shot, select the putter and get an easy hole-in-one.

krae_man

I wonder how making the game so you can walk from hole to hole quickly is going to impact the final game.

Kind of feels like cheating to aim for a fairway of an entirely different hole to hit a par 5 in 2.

Are all the courses going to have little to no out of bounds?

purbeast

I wonder how making the game so you can walk from hole to hole quickly is going to impact the final game.

Kind of feels like cheating to aim for a fairway of an entirely different hole to hit a par 5 in 2.

Are all the courses going to have little to no out of bounds?

Serious question - are you new to the series? I ask because pretty much all of the games in this franchise have had holes with shortcuts or multiple routes to the hole, some more than others, so having this shortcut on a par 5 isn't anything out of the ordinary. Also hitting a par 5 in 2 isn't unrealistic by any stretch, that is the norm for getting eagles.

krae_man

Serious question - are you new to the series? I ask because pretty much all of the games in this franchise have had holes with shortcuts or multiple routes to the hole, some more than others, so having this shortcut on a par 5 isn't anything out of the ordinary. Also hitting a par 5 in 2 isn't unrealistic by any stretch, that is the norm for getting eagles.

I'm not new to the series. Hitting a Par 5 in 2 when you can only hit it 210 yards is not normal.

Short cuts and multiple routes to the hole is not the same as landing it on another holes fairway. Using another holes fairway in hole 3 in this beta is not the same as rolling it down the Aqueduct on that par 4 on La Provence Resort.

Griss

Well, before I give my thoughts on the beta, take a look at this shot...

Chip in on hole #2
this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif
I'll be honest I laughed my ass off. And I'm impressed that it can happen, as it's true to the rules of golf. Did this happen in other Everybody's Golf games? I've put in 100+ hours and it's never happened to me before.

Top Bottom