• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

zero_suit

vareon said:
We've seen too little of the new series to make conclusions, but the old series (+ OVAs) are really, really good. It's very faithful to the manga except a tiny bit of filler episode that you won't realize anyway since it's pretty good and consistent with canon.

When that girl was trying to kill Killua?

I always thought Kurapica was a girl. I guess I still have to wait another 7 years to find out what happens after the original series ended.

This is terrible in comparison to the original. I'm trying to just bear with it and watch it, but having seen the original series about 20 times from start to end, I just think the art, atmosphere, acting, etc... is SO much better.

Clegg

Jesus Christ ,why all the doom and gloom? The overreaction to 1 bad episode is strange.

If the show is still poor after 4/5 episodes then we can criticize.

But after 1 episode? Thats just silly.

Mumei

:|

I didn't particularly like the first episode, and I definitely didn't like Gon's voice.

Oh, well.

Clegg said:
Jesus Christ ,why all the doom and gloom? The overreaction to 1 bad episode is strange.

If the show is still poor after 4/5 episodes then we can criticize.

But after 1 episode? Thats just silly.

I don't normally judge a show after 1 ep but this time we have the old version to compare it to .
Then there all bad things we hearing about like this

- Kaito will not be introduced as usual
- Hisoka will not be "perverted" anymore. They are changing his personality.
- They are downplaying / or omitting the violence from the original

Piecake

gundamkyoukai said:
I don't normally judge a show after 1 ep but this time we have the old version to compare it to .
Then there all bad things we hearing about like this

- Kaito will not be introduced as usual
- Hisoka will not be "perverted" anymore. They are changing his personality.
- They are downplaying / or omitting the violence from the original

Well, that blows. Ill watch it once it gets up to the GI arc, but I don't think I want to watch anything before that now

I thought it was alright. I didn't mind them rushing because I've already seen the original series, and I suppose they anticipated a lot of people who were going to watch this had seen it already. Still not as glorious as I had hoped, hopefully it picks up over the next few episodes.

Jex

Ezalc said:
Well I've never seen the original, and I enjoyed the first episode of this so I want to check the series out, should I just watch the old one instead or just follow this new one?
I'd probably go check out the original to see how you feel, it's superior to this version (from what I've seen).

As I've said elsewhere:

[Hunter X Hunter Reboot 1]

I can't really recommend this to anyone. Not because it's bad, but because it's very...'eh'.

If you are already familiar with the original series, you may be happy to see the show move past a lot of the introduction stuff and into main arc as quickly as possible. But if you've already seen the original I don't see this as being much better, in terms or art, animation, detail choreography etc. It has that cheap, modern, low-detail look that isn't very appealing. So this isn't a FMA: Brotherhood situation where at least it looks great.

If you're one of those people who has not seen the show before I really wouldn't recommend watching this version, unless you can't sit still for three minutes without having something happening.

This reboot compressed the events of the first three episodes into a single piece (with some changes and alterations, obviously). I don't really like that, at all. The pacing of the events, the character interactions and development, important and weighty choices...they are all gone or severely reduced. For example, in the original, Gon's mother
doesn't want him to go take the Hunter exam. There's some family tension that lasts two episodes - in this version it's a few lines. That's it. You can't make us care about all this in two lines, there's no time for anything to develop.
That really kills the whole scene for me, and robs it of any impact.

I really think the original shows pacing, which focused on letting events unfold naturally. The actual direction is very...unremarkable as well. Scenes exist and connect, but nothing interesting is being produced.

I would recommend checking out Hunter X Hunter Orginal 1-3 and see if you prefer that version.

I think we should wait a bit before writing this one off. A condensed intro isn't the end of the world, especially for fans of the original who already know what happened. The rumors about censorship are much more worrisome.

Right now, I'm just ecstatic that there's a chance we might get to see the Chimera Ant arc animated because as all fans of the manga know, Togashi's art goes to shit.

Erigu

cosmicblizzard said:
Right now, I'm just ecstatic that there's a chance we might get to see the Chimera Ant arc animated because as all fans of the manga know, Togashi's art goes to shit.
I wouldn't say that. At all.

Ezalc

Jexhius said:
I'd probably go check out the original to see how you feel, it's superior to this version (from what I've seen).

As I've said elsewhere:

[Hunter X Hunter Reboot 1]

I can't really recommend this to anyone. Not because it's bad, but because it's very...'eh'.

If you are already familiar with the original series, you may be happy to see the show move past a lot of the introduction stuff and into main arc as quickly as possible. But if you've already seen the original I don't see this as being much better, in terms or art, animation, detail choreography etc. It has that cheap, modern, low-detail look that isn't very appealing. So this isn't a FMA: Brotherhood situation where at least it looks great.

If you're one of those people who has not seen the show before I really wouldn't recommend watching this version, unless you can't sit still for three minutes without having something happening.

This reboot compressed the events of the first three episodes into a single piece (with some changes and alterations, obviously). I don't really like that, at all. The pacing of the events, the character interactions and development, important and weighty choices...they are all gone or severely reduced. For example, in the original, Gon's mother
doesn't want him to go take the Hunter exam. There's some family tension that lasts two episodes - in this version it's a few lines. That's it. You can't make us care about all this in two lines, there's no time for anything to develop.
That really kills the whole scene for me, and robs it of any impact.

I really think the original shows pacing, which focused on letting events unfold naturally. The actual direction is very...unremarkable as well. Scenes exist and connect, but nothing interesting is being produced.

I would recommend checking out Hunter X Hunter Orginal 1-3 and see if you prefer that version.

Well I watched episode 1 and then skipped to 4 since I saw the first episode of the reboot and I didn't want to see the boat stuff again. Is there a major difference between the reboot and the original in those scenes? I'll go back and watch episodes 2 and 3 if necessary.

Erigu said:

Come the fuck on your going to defend scribbles .
Yeah we all know it got fix in vol format but most people remember those weekly chapters with bad art .
I just hope they slow things down a bit when get to important parts of the manga.

Erigu said:

That we'll see Chimera Ant arc or that the art goes to shit? If it's the latter, the art is very clearly chicken-scratch outside the tankobons for a while. If it's the former, well we can only hope.

upandaway

Just thought I'll put this disclaimer in case some guys didn't notice.

The first episode, for whatever pages it followed (all of chapter 2, and about ~8 pages of chapter 1), included everything panel for panel. The only reason it's a blitz compared to the old anime is because the old anime integrated a lot of small filler.

Me and pretty much everyone agree that the small padding was great, but I'm just putting this out there: I don't think they're trying to run through the content. They're trying to adapt the manga obsessively to the panel, and the result is something fast.

The difference between the two is what will happen once the walls of text kick in. The former means skipping or simplifying the fuck out of them, and the latter means explaining the entire thing word by word (which will probably be a slower/equal pace than the old anime).

cosmicblizzard said:
That we'll see Chimera Ant arc or that the art goes to shit? If it's the latter, the art is very clearly chicken-scratch outside the tankobons for a while.
To the point where it's noticeable in volume scans, there are ~15 of those chapters. (3-4 of those animated in GI Final OVA) And I don't see how the rest are relevant when they were fixed for the volume stuff.

The scribbles were terrible, but it's overblown. The real issue was always the hiatuses.

Cwarrior

Hunter x Hunter R1(rewatching the old one back to back)

And so it begins

-a lot more cheerful, colourful even the music is more whimsical, everything so happy compared to the original (no dark forest,murky swamps and rundown homes)
-the art is simple with a lot less detail like anime of today
-its moving really fast they skipped a lot
(kite,training,mito telling gon the truth about his father)
-Music is really good but the original ep1 had god tier music
-lol at ending song(its awful) here the Original
-OP is ok but weak compared to the Original

Looks department
hxh ova 1>hxh>hxh R >hxh ova 3> hxh ova 2

-kurpica looks a tiny bit less like a girl
-leorio is still cool
-mito looks a lot younger
-nit pick I don't like how kurpica and killua eyes look
-Remove kite wasn't such a big deal since they can easly cover that in a flash back but removeing a lot of the interaction with mito-san really took a lot away from it.
-no clue how they’re going to handle things like
gon loseing his hands
-the ending also gives me a lot of hope hint at killua dark past and hisoka still haveing the rape face.

good episode doesn't matter to me if it's not like the original at least at this pace am getting closer to the
ant arc.

If you’re new to hxh then I also say try out the first 3 episode of the original.

Erigu

gundamkyoukai said:
Yeah we all know it got fix in vol format but most people remember those weekly chapters with bad art .
Yeah, most people don't buy the books, I noticed that...
And rough art isn't necessarily bad art either: the guy's drawings and layouts are particularly expressive and effective. Few shônen manga authors can compete.

Acerac

Banned
Qatar said:
I hope there's as much gore as it was before, specially Killua's scenes.
but from the art, it seems that that they are targeting much younger audience, which sucks >_>
But the first anime was already targeted at a young audience...

They couldn't possibly censor it more, could they?

Oh well, I'll be checking it out anyways.

*edit*

Reading the entire thread, that's horrible. We already got a neutered version of the Hisoka v Kastro fight. All I wanted from the original anime was to see that fight fully animated. I suppose I'll never get that. =/

Lirlond

Erigu said:
Yeah, most people don't buy the books, I noticed that...
And rough art isn't necessarily bad art either: the guy's drawings and layouts are particularly expressive and effective. Few shônen manga authors can compete.

If you want to be pretentious and not use shounen, I'd like to point out that its shōnen, with a macron.

Cwarrior

Now I need a hisoka avatar

Can someone avatarzie this for me

hisoka3qo0.jpg

Hxh_murderous_hisoka.jpg

Erigu

Lirlond said:
If you want to be pretentious and not use shounen, I'd like to point out that its shōnen, with a macron.
Gee, that was really necessary. Who's sounding like a pretentious ass, here?

But for your information and since you seem so concerned about that, I type "shônen" because:
1) the "shounen" spelling doesn't sit all that well with me because I have, I believe, good reasons to prefer Hepburn romanization (on top of simply being used to it due to my classes)
2) it really isn't that uncommon for the circumflex to be used in place of the macron
3) I do, in fact, lack a macron key on my keyboard, whereas I have a circumflex one

Are you satisfied?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely inferior to the first series, but it's still Hunter X Hunter.

Will keep watching for a bit to see how it goes. I definitely miss the atmosphere of the old series, though.

Lirlond

Erigu said:
Gee, that was really necessary. Who's sounding like a pretentious ass, here?

But for your information and since you seem so concerned about that, I type "shônen" because:
1) the "shounen" spelling doesn't sit all that well with me because I have, I believe, good reasons to prefer Hepburn romanization (on top of simply being used to it due to my classes)
2) it really isn't that uncommon for the circumflex to be used in place of the macron
3) I do, in fact, lack a macron key on my keyboard, whereas I have a circumflex one

Are you satisfied?

Well, that depends, are you speaking Japanese here or English? If we look at several other borrowed english words from Japanese, honcho(hanchō), tycoon(taikun), karate(spelled the same, but pronounced differently), now if we consider shounen as the borrowed english form of shōnen, which is has done, if informally, look at any anime/manga genre listing(A poor source I know, but its the only common usage in english), and you will see the colloquial use it has generated.

I will admit ignorance to the circumflex replacing a macron, I've only seen it used for pitch contractions, and not a length indicator. As for why I called you pretentious, you were using a Japanese word in an English sentence, without using the (informal) anglicised spelling. If you met someone who used French randomly in the middle of a sentence would you not also find them pretentious?

Erigu

For fuck's sake...

Lirlond said:
Well, that depends, are you speaking Japanese here or English?
I used "shônen manga", a Japanese term.

you were using a Japanese word in an English sentence
Indeed.

without using the (informal) anglicised spelling.
"Informal", indeed.
I'm simply using the romanization system that makes the most sense to me.

If you met someone who used French randomly in the middle of a sentence would you not also find them pretentious?
"Shounen manga" isn't English either.

Completely forgot to post my impressions here from the anime thread.

Hunter x Hunter R 1

This was the intro condensed. As Cwarrior said, they cut out a lot. What took the first series 3 episodes to do only took this 1. I don't know if moving at such a fast-pace is a good idea, but I guess it's fine if they don't plan on making it ongoing and ending after a year.

The tone is different. Not drastically, but it's noticeably more colorful and light-hearted. That is fine when things are just starting up, but I don't know how long they can keep it up with how dark the series gets both tone and content-wise unless they plan to censor the shit out of it including plot.

The absence of Kaito isn't as bad as I expected. By omitting some of the intro, it leaves room for a flashback later. In fact, he showed up in the hunter silhouette at the beginning, so that's not too bad. If they indeed make it to the Chimera Ant arc, they should be fine.

The ED is definitely giving me hope that there won't be as much censorship as I was expecting. Showing
Hisoka's insane faces and implying stuff about Killua's past
is definitely making me less worried. The rumors about the censorship may have been exaggerated but I guess we'll see.

Overall, good episode. Whether they butcher it or not, I plan on watching this to the end.

Ifrit

I'll wait for comments about the censoring before watching this series or the old one (newcomer here)

Kazerei

Banned
Ifrit said:
I'll wait for comments about the censoring before watching this series or the old one (newcomer here)

Just watch the old one. The new series is faster-paced, but otherwise doesn't seem to have any improvements over the old one.

Ifrit

Kazerei said:
Just watch the old one. The new series is faster-paced, but otherwise doesn't seem to have any improvements over the old one.

Faster paced series IS an improvement for me since I don't really have much time to catch up quickly on a 60+ episodes anime series, specially if there's a faster filler free alternative.

I just hope the animation and content are not dumbed down in this one

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The filler in the original Hunter X Hunter is competent enough to watch unlike most other shounen.

Ep 2 is up.

Looks like they're slowing down, but only slightly. Rather than covering 3 episodes, this one covered 2. Still a break-neck speed and they cut out the bus scene which I kind of liked :/. It also didn't show what happened to the guy that answered the quiz wrong which hopefully isn't alluding to significant censorship. We should find out in a few episodes, but I'm still not convinced considering the ED.

Looks like they're gonna slow down a bit based on the preview for the next episode. Let's see how that goes.

Effect

cosmicblizzard said:
It's going a lot faster than the original. It covered 3 episodes in 1, so it might be caught up pretty quickly.

I'm not sure that's actually a good thing. The original anime version when it was covering the actual chapters had very little to no filler. Outside of the normal stuff that helps better transition to another scene. There is one arc I recall during the ship part of the Hunter exam that was clearly filler though. However that filler actually made that part of the story better I think. Due to that, condensing the episodes even more then the original anime is looking like a big negative to me.

I'll stick with the original anime until they pass the point where it left off. That reminds me I need to pick up the remainder of the box sets. I think I only have the first two.

Trojita

I didn't post about my impressions for the 1st episode. It was pretty terrible, I'll have to see what the rest of the episodes are like before I make a final judgement. A lot of changes from even the manga. They added a goofy character on the ship for no fucking reason and replaced the competent ship crew with a bunch of bozos. Leorio tells Kurapica that he is going to end the Kurta bloodline. WTF!?

Trojita

Wolf Akela said:
I've never read the manga. What were the fillers in the original anime adaptation?
Little things here and there that they sprinkled in but cohesively work with the narrative, unlike a lot of other shounen anime.

The Battleship part of the exam was complete filler, but it is considered some of the best filler in an anime.

That was filler? It was really amazing episode! :eek:

I still don't get the positive/optimistic vibe from the remake but I've yet to watch ep 2.

Ep 2
tumblr_lsswphPjVP1ql3y03o1_500.png

The facial expressions, lol. The quiz part is thus far my favorite part of the series. Deep questions. Gon is shockingly fast and powerful though. Good. Im curious to see what the exam entails once they arrive since what they are doing now makes it seem, to appear to me, be more than a test of just strength.

Cwarrior

Hunter x hunter R 2

Great episode 2 in 1, handled really well nice fast paced with a lot happening in the ep, nothing of importance was lost apart from one bit
how leorio pass the test by being a boss which should of been in there

Funny thing is between the first two episode a whole episode worth of leorio scene are skipped(most of it being filler to be fair), only one being important the one I mentioned above.

2 in 1 eps a nice middle ground

upandaway

Maybe it's just a psychological thing (because I watched the original anime plenty times) but I just can't get any of the new VAs to sit with me. Leorio and Gon are fine but Kurapika, the grandma and the monsters had really weird voices.

I can't imagine why they "censored" the dude's scream in the quiz. They didn't even say that path was full of monsters. Surely a sign of things to come.

cosmicblizzard said:
Ep 2 is up.

Looks like they're slowing down, but only slightly. Rather than covering 3 episodes, this one covered 2. Still a break-neck speed and they cut out the bus scene which I kind of liked :/. It also didn't show what happened to the guy that answered the quiz wrong which hopefully isn't alluding to significant censorship. We should find out in a few episodes, but I'm still not convinced considering the ED.
The first cue of censorship should be within the first half of the next episode

If I remember right
a guy gets his hands cut off by Hisoka

Cwarrior said:
Funny thing is between the first two episode a whole episode worth of leorio scene are skipped(most of it being filler to be fair), only one being important the one I mentioned above.
The only thing they skipped so far from the manga is the dude's scream during the quiz. So not "most" but "all"

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Original series is so good (until Greed Island) that I really have no interest in this remake. Maybe until it starts covering material I haven't seen yet.

Top Bottom