• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

yami4ct

To anyone who didn't have a chance to, I recommend to check out chapters 198-199 (they're this episode) in the manga. I really, REALLY like the art and style in the manga, it's worth seeing even after watching the episode. Pitou's eyes are the stuff of nightmares.
aGqS9WF.png

For as much, deserved, shit as Togashi gets for his abstract, scribble art, it does really work in some instances. In moments of pure terror, it really helps showcase the franticness. It also gives Pitou an almost supernatural, demonic feel to her.

yami4ct

Such a great episode. Anyone else notice how great the music is?

Once the show really started going, the music has been amazing. Truly a joy to listen to. With this episode, using instrumental takes on some of the different ending themes for emotional moments? Brilliant. Reason is a fantastic song anyway, but it worked so well as an instrumental piece of background music.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
People find Neferpitou a good design/intimidating?

wut

yami4ct

People find Neferpitou a good design/intimidating?

wut

I definitely like Pitou's design in a lot of ways. She's a lot like a cat, an animal that clearly makes up a major part of her ant structure. She appears harmless on the outside, but that masks a really evil, vindictive preditoral instinct. She clearly likes playing with her prey like a cat does as well. She's intelligent and can turn on a dime from calm and collected to crazy and violent. Those are the things that certainly make her a frightening ant.

The only part of her actual design I'd say is intimidating at all is her face. Her eyes and her expressions are so evil and demonic. They're haunting and the anime has done a fantastic job at getting those ideas across so far I think.

Overall, I really do like Pitou a lot. She's one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, pure villains in the Hunter x Hunter world. She's so damn frightening. She lacks a moral compass like Hisoka does, but she also doesn't have any motivation to constrain her power. Hisoka holds back because he wants to see valuable prey develop. Pitou doesn't have that hangup and that makes her super dangerous.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I find her dull. She has absolutely no real motivation to be doing anything other than just "im a monster lel". Her design is comically nonthreatening. Her expression is really just not that demonic, especially from a series that has characters like Illumi who actually have do have terrifying faces - they just make her gaze threatening using the whole "woosh scary red filter" effect rather than looking into what actually makes someone's gaze unhinged. She's just been given an assortment of random evil powers, most of which we've seen before, except this time they're 11/10 just because (probably in actuality due to the fact there's not much to distinguish her from others. I mean hell, we've already on what, 3 or 4 feline Chimera ants?).

She's a giant villainous Mary Sue.

Kyuur

Eh, I find her dull. She has absolutely no real motivation to be doing anything other than just "im a monster lel". Her design is comically nonthreatening. Her expression is really just not that demonic, especially from a series that has characters like Illumi who actually have do have terrifying faces. She's just been given an assortment of random evil powers, most of which we've seen before, except this time they're 11/10 just because.

She's a giant villainous Mary Sue.

Her motivation is to protect the hive.. just like all the other ants. Certainly less interesting than say, Hisoka's personality but you can't say there is no rhyme or reason to what she does. Also, Hisoka doesn't look comically unthreatening as well? He's a god damn clown, he's scary because of how he acts and can appear when he wants to.

We haven't even seen any 'powers'... just basic nen usage / animal traits amplified.

Yonafunu

Guys, let's try not to talk about anything that hasn't been shown in the anime yet, including character traits and stuff. Give the anime-only viewers time to get a feel for the characters on their own, without 'explaining' the character to them. I mean, we've only seen Pitou for 2 episodes so far, so of course someone who hasn't read the manga can have a different opinion about Pitou than someone who has, simply because they've only just been introduced to her.

Sorry for all this stuff, I just really like fresh reactions, and seeing people react to stuff on their own, without having been told what to react (to put it a little extreme).

vareon

I used to dislike Chimera Ant until I realized that the whole HxH story prior to it was a giant training arc for Gon and Killua, as they put it themselves in the last episode.

Then they ran like hell. It's both hilarious and puts things into perspective that this isn't the anime where the heroes summon "Friendship power!!" out of their asses and win. They are still children, even a child prodigy like Killua is a child compared to experts on their field.

At this point I completely forgot what happened in the manga except some of the biggest plot points and the finale chapters. Good ride ahead I guess.

fun eps. I do find it a bit disappointed that the new hunters are naturally super smug and talk smack like every shounen thingy ever.

So the whole talk about power level not mattering... well... ok. (._. )

So my biggest question in the newest episode is whether or not
Kite would have lost if Gon and Killiua weren't there, they seem to hint he wouldn't have lost his arm, that would have given him a better chance at winning.

I'm going to assume he would have lost either way since they're trying to show off the Royal Guard power.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I think
he would have lost too if Gon and Killua weren't there. Pitou is incredibly strong.

smurfx

get some go again
what good is having crazy nen abilities when you can't even respond fast enough to somebody with incredible speed and power? pitou would have killed kite either way. his nen ability is also a huge liability as well.

what good is having crazy nen abilities when you can't even respond fast enough to somebody with incredible speed and power? pitou would have killed kite either way. his nen ability is also a huge liability as well.

Did we ever find out what his best roll was? I think the best we saw was 2, that giant scythe.

Radec

Was it Morel or Morau?

So my biggest question in the newest episode is whether or not
Kite would have lost if Gon and Killiua weren't there, they seem to hint he wouldn't have lost his arm, that would have given him a better chance at winning.

I'm going to assume he would have lost either way since they're trying to show off the Royal Guard power.

I bet Kite would have died either way. Pitou is just on a different universe, especially in the coming episodes.

I think Pitou haven't even discovered his ability yet last episode.

That's just pure raw power of her Nen.

Lulubop

Morel is the official translation.

In the manga Crazy slots comments that a good roll is coming up, so take that as you will concerning number 3.

Rootbeer

Banned
This thread is really hopping after ep 85 :) I'm so pleased with the quality and execution of this adaptation. And so much great stuff to come!

Rootbeer

Banned
Really curious about what that wand thing kite rolled does.
naruto style nen clone? ;)

Expect the unexpected. And it's still shounen.

Hmmmm.

Supposedly it is (ep 85)
a mace. In the manga he is shown spinning it in his hand. It's unknown what properties it may have outside of that. But if it's like the other ones it's probably showy and pretty brutal

Lirlond

If it catches up it ends on an "ending" so we should be good, but I'm hoping for a few more volumes this year. However unlikely it may be.

upandaway

I'm really not optimistic about any new chapters before the anime catches up.. if he wanted to do it, the movie + volume releases in December-January would have been the perfect time.

Hopefully however long it is, we'll get an amount of chapters proportional to it (keeping up with the 1 per month average).

LogicStep

This show is the shit, the bad guys are retarded strong, her design is the shit. She looks fucking scary especially knowing her strength. Just pure power, it's like a demonic cat ready to fuck you up. Perfection. I wonder where this goes. They're going to switch between Gon and Killua to Netero's group as the show progresses? I wonder how they'll stack up to the bad guys.

Theoretically, does Kurapika stand a chance against Pitou if he had his resolve against Ants instead of Spiders? He did claim he gets 100% mastery in every category.

LogicStep

Theoretically, does Kurapika stand a chance against Pitou if he had his resolve against Ants instead of Spiders? He did claim he gets 100% mastery in every category.

No way, he just learned about nen when Gon did. No way he's stronger than someone like Kite.

I'm an anime only viewer for this show so this is speculation.

Moaradin

I need to go back and rewatch because I still don't understand how his shit works. Could he change his condition thing to Ants instead of Spiders if he wanted?

upandaway

In terms of a simple 1v1, that's hard to believe. If he had his own plans and weaknesses to exploit and all that in place, then it's another "anything is possible" like Morel said. Kurapika has maybe 2-3 instant kills that work regardless of the opponent's strength, if he can pull them off (Chain Jail, Judgement Chain, and possibly the index finger chain that still hasn't been revealed).

Jigolo

I don't think so. Morel put it best by what he said to Killua. Most of the time, you won't even know your enemies moves/nen power. That was the case when Uvo fought Kurapika and that's what I think was a big advantage for Kurapika. Uvo not knowing. If Uvo'd known Kurapika's secret I wouldn't be too sure he could've beaten Uvo

yami4ct

I need to go back and rewatch because I still don't understand how his shit works. Could he change his condition thing to Ants instead of Spiders if he wanted?

Ok, Kurapika's one of the stranger characters of the series as he has a lot more complicated set of nen rules than most hunters.

First of all, the condition. From my understanding, once it's set it's set. That's the point of the restriction. If Kurapika could willy nilly change his condition whenever he wanted, it wouldn't be a restriction. What he could do do is develop new techniques with new conditions. I don't think there's any limit to the techniques you develop. The only thing it takes is more training.

As for the Emperor Time ability, it's unrelated to the condition. It's a specialty ability that, once his eyes turns read, he gets 100% mastery over techniques of any category. We still haven't seen the full capability of it, but it's something that's frightening in it's possibilities. He could learn any non-special technique he could possibly want to. The difficult part would, again, be the training to get those abilities.

As for Kurapika vs Pitou, I don't think Kurakia could win at his current level. Without his conditional ability, he's not really much or any stronger than Gon and Kil. With time, he could definitely win, but you could say that about any character.

Kyuur

Kurapika's main ability (Judgement Chain) relies on being able to get 'Chain Jail' off on his opponent (so they cannot block the chain with their nen). I don't think he can simply create a new technique like Chain Jail, but if he had originally designed it to work against the ants, he could win if he could get Pitou in Chain Jail.

Manga Spoilers on Pitou

But no, not really. Kurapika wouldn't be able to get anywhere close due to Pitou's En.

upandaway

I don't think so. Morel put it best by what he said to Killua. Most of the time, you won't even know your enemies moves/nen power. That was the case when Uvo fought Kurapika and that's what I think was a big advantage for Kurapika. Uvo not knowing. If Uvo'd known Kurapika's secret I wouldn't be too sure he could've beaten Uvo
That was part of Kurapika's calculations though. He deserves full credit for it.

zero_suit

No, he made an oath to use the chain against the Spiders only. If used against someone else, he would die.

yami4ct

Kurapika's main ability (Judgement Chain) relies on being able to get 'Chain Jail' off on his opponent (so they cannot block the chain with their nen). I don't think he can simply create a new technique like Chain Jail, but if he had originally designed it to work against the ants, he could win if he could get Pitou in Chain Jail.

Manga Spoilers on Pitou

But no, not really. Kurapika wouldn't be able to get anywhere close due to Pitou's En.

He probably couldn't develop a chain jail for ants instead of spiders, but I do think he could develop some crazy powerful anti-ant techniques with the power of his emperor time.

I think Kurapika's power kind of can be broken down like this. If he knows his enemy well. If he knows their strength, weaknesses and personality, he can develop specific techniques to counter them. With information ahead of time, Kurapika can take on opponents far more powerful than him. Without that information, he's no stronger than Gon and Kil.

Radec

But Uvo used his 100% of his power and abilities during that fight.

He's the strongest of all Ryodan in brute strength so no one can break Kurapika's Chains if they got a hold on any members. Then they won't be able to use their nen as well.

Sure Uvo might have used En to see Kurapika's chains before it captures him but what can he do to someone who takes his Nuclear fist and still recovers easily ?

Uvo is outclassed in every way by Kurapika.

As for the rest, I think these guys would have died too (I remember them being mentioned):

-Franklin
-Machi
-Shalnark
-Pakunoda
-Kortopi
-Shizuku

Top Bottom