• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Jersey Teacher Tells Students To Speak American Not Spanish

Oh Lord, this is surprisingly close to where I used to live, just two towns over. I feel like Bergen County is more left leaning than most of the country, but I'm not really that surprised that this happened. After something similar went down in LA, which has a significantly larger Hispanic population, I've become aware that there are at least some people who are going to pull this type of shit anywhere you go in the US.

Hope they get what's comin'.

zeemumu

wweYpML.gif

"Speak American" is a well-known BS line thrown by Rush Limbaugh and crew.

That's where it's from. It's intentionally mocking. They obviously know American is not a language. Makes the insult worse actually.

I used to listen to the NFL on the Armed Forces Network back in the early nineties, and there was legitimately a PSA they played all the time that claimed some words were American in origin, and "that's why we speak American" .

I get that you want the students to speak English, because they are in class and not everyone might speak Spanish there. But her argument for it is total bullshit.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is New Jersey above or below the Mason-Dixon line?

Asking for a friend that's a teacher

Ignorance is an insult, we're one of the blackest states in the US, fully blue outside of our shitty governor

Anyways, its easy for people who use english only to feel disadvantaged by latino folks who can talk about anything without them understanding it, that's where the racism starts.

Nephtis

"Speak American"?? looool

If this was an English class (or ESL class) I could understand it. I wouldn't put it in such an asshole way, but I do support discouraging students from speaking in their native tongue during class.

But to do so anywhere else is stupid. This substitute teacher needs to be fired and/or lose her license.

Is not "American" half spanish and portuguese?
Well no.

Usually when people say ”American" in context to language, they're talking about the American dialect/accent of English.

If they wanted to refer to Spanish or Portugese dialects, they'd use the Spanish or Portugese words for "American" instead.

Also, American Portugese is commonly referred to as Brazilian, American Spanish likewise gets called Mexican a lot.

I somehow doubt there would be anywhere as near as much outrage in this thread if the teacher referred to those languages using those words.

Top Bottom