• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Jersey Teacher Tells Students To Speak American Not Spanish

Hypron

Not to mention riddled with spelling mistakes and an almost zealous hatred of the letter U.

To be fair the British added "U"s to words kinda recently to make them look more fancy/like French unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: ok after checking what I said above is not really true, I shouldn't always believe what I read on neogaf I guess. Spelling of English words was a complete mess apparently until it got standardized differently on each side of the Atlantic.

Iksenpets

Banned
I was half-expecting a twist where the teacher was saying this to students in a Spanish class, just because the depths of these people's stupidity are never ending.

Apart from the "speak American" nonsense, how is this issue actually handled?

If a student wants to speak Spanish in class(or any other language), can they just do that? What if the teacher or other kids don't understand Spanish?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
To be fair the British added "U"s to words kinda recently to make them look more fancy/like French unless I'm mistaken.

As a someone who edits a lot of work from American writers for a Canadian publication, the lack of "u" in certain words is becoming a huge trigger for me.

American spelling SCREAMS at me now no matter if I'm working, browsing the web, or reading a book.

Hey OP, people don't write articles for you to copy and paste the entire contents of the article onto another website for people to read the whole thing without ever going to the original article.

Just another reason why education in this country has become a fucking joke in the world. Have people like this teaching children and spouting this shit.

Enzom21

If a student wants to speak Spanish in class(or any other language), can they just do that? What if the teacher or other kids don't understand Spanish?
Do you think students are talking to the teacher in Spanish? Sounds to me like they were speaking to other Spanish speaking students in Spanish.
What is your issue with that?
How are teachers supposed to teach kids if they don't speak the same language?
Or whats the plan for these situations?
Who said they don’t speak English?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How are teachers supposed to teach kids if they don't speak the same language?
Or whats the plan for these situations?

It was a long time ago, so I HIGHLY doubt it's the same, especially because of the super-uniqueness of my situation - this is just reminds me of a fun story from my childhood... But in 3rd grade, the elementary school on my father's military base in southern Cali was under construction, so they had all the kids from the base in public schools nearby for a year.

First day of class, and the entire chalk board, class plan, and most the books were in Spanish. Teacher was bilingual, but truly, 30 out of the 35 kids were primarily Spanish-speaking, English-printed books were few, and even class plans in my language were absent. My parents were relatively progressive, but that didn't really fly for them. Many other parents were the same. Unfortunately, though, there wasn't much of a way around it.

Long story short, I - along with 3 or 4 other kids - were given permission to just attend each of the three 3rd-grade teacher's lessons during designated times. Of course, with 35-40 kids in a class, no one paid any attention to us. I don't think I took one test other than the state-required ones. Did a single report. Never did homework. I just went from each class when it was fun/convenient. I spent 2-3 hours a day in recess in lunch. I have three class pictures, lol.

Do you think students are talking to the teacher in Spanish? Sounds to me like they were speaking to other Spanish speaking students in Spanish.
What is your issue with that?

Who said they don’t speak English?

Oh, I thought this was about the language spoken in class.
Wasn't clear from the article that this was just about the students talking to each other.

As a teacher, it can be a difficult issue, primarily because students can speak in a non-English language to say things they shouldn't be saying. At my last school, one of my coworkers kept Google Voice Translate on her phone in her pocket at all times so she could tell what the students were saying, because often they use Spanish to say things like "fuck this bitch" to each other and we have no idea.

On the other hand, I have a lot of students who are illegal immigrants or refugees, and they don't know a lick of English. The only way they CAN learn is by speaking Spanish. Saying "You can't speak Spanish" is like saying "You can't speak" to them. I try to pair these students with a bilingual student who can explain what's going on in class in their native language, and this also means they have someone to co-learn with in their native language. I'm fortunate that our current textbook is also available in Spanish.

After a while teaching, you tend to learn to look at facial expressions to know what the students are talking about. When students are talking about math, they rarely make big smiles and big expressive hand gestures. If students are talking in Spanish like this, I say "It's fine that you are speaking in Spanish, but I need you to be speaking in Spanish about math, not others things." If students are talking about math, they tend to have a focused look on their face, as they are trying to understand things. And that's what it generally comes down to - the appropriate thing is to allow student learning in their native language to help their learning ability.

Now, you also get kids who taunt their teachers in a foreign language because they are little jerks and know we don't understand. These students are completely fluent in English, but they are using their second language as a tool for class disruption. Some teachers I know tell these students to speak English, and I think that's fair of them. I usually say one of the 3 or 4 Spanish phrases I know back to them while nodding like I understand, which gets them to laugh, and they understand that while I know I don't understand them, I'm also not intimidated. Once I get to know a classroom, I might go over to a bilingual student and ask him or her (usually her, because the boys "don't snitch") what was said.

To sum up: it's a complex and sometimes frustrating position to be in for the teacher.

Generally if you have a student that speaks little to no English they either have classmate who is fluent in both languages sit next to them to help or there is an adult para who accompanies said student to the class, at least for the core classes. I know students who have English as a second language are generally encouraged to speak only English as much as possible to help learn the language.

In terms of speaking another language to other students during the class that the teacher can't understand, I would leave that up to the teacher to make the best determination. It's usually easy to tell when students are saying things they shouldn't be saying in another language to not get in trouble

It's certainly not as easy to just say "students are allowed to speak any language in the class at any time". No, that's not always ok.

99Luffy

Banned
Racist thing to say. But I do think its rude to speak another language in a group setting, not super rude but equivalent to whispering.

Man, as a kid, I used to get the “oh you speak English so well!”

I used to take it as a compliment till I became an adult and realized what they really meant.

NekoFever

I am so tired of folks using the military as an excuse for their bigotry and racism
It annoys me so much. Why is “there are soldiers” an argument for anything?

I understand that it’s a dog whistle but it’s so ingrained that even people who hopefully know better end up paying lip service to it. Like every argument in favour of the kneeling protests from a prominent person has to open with “my x served in the military”, like that’s a requirement in order to have an opinion.

Gattsu25

Banned
The teacher knows this, everyone who uses this insult knows this. The whole point of the insult is to call Spanish speaking people unamerican.

Do you have evidence that this teacher is self-aware?

Having had a number of conversations where people straight-faced complained that people don't speak "American" I'm not willing to give that benefit of the doubt.

How is this not an immediate dismissal?

Because replacing a teacher takes time? This isn't a job where you stock shelves. This teacher is currently responsible for the education of over 100 students. You need to find someone who is:
1) Qualified.
2) Able to pick up where that teacher left off.
3) Able to become familiar with all of the systems of that school and district.
4) Currently unemployed!

It's not easy to find all of these things in the middle of the school year. Students losing a teacher mid-year is devastating to student education. You're going to lose at least a month of instructional time as a result of the transition, and that's if you can find someone for the job.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
YQXamkX.png

Fuck that teacher.

Racist thing to say. But I do think its rude to speak another language in a group setting, not super rude but equivalent to whispering.
It's actually very rude in most contexts. That said Spanish is my favorite language and I relish the opportunity to speak it when appropriate.

Dunlop

Don't think it is really that surprising.

I worked as a waiter decades ago and had a customer get upset about the lunch menu and demand I get him one written in American.

After a few seconds on stunned silence on my part I realize he meant English so I politely and him to look in the other side of the card where the English version was lol.

This was in Quebec.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

Many modern teaching philosophies encourage students to learn in what ever language they feel most comfortable with and what language will afford them the most success. So for instance if a student works better at math in Spanish, they should do so. However if the goal of the class is to learn English, that's the language that should be spoken. For example, I allow my students to speak in Arabic during math and science because the goal is to understand mathematical and science related concepts. But I don't allow them to speak Arabic during literacy because the goal during that time is to strengthen their english ability.

As for other people's questions about how this person became a teacher, the same way you find turdchortlers in any profession, sometimes they just slip through, bully their way in, kiss the right ass, or hide their shitty side well. She may also be an excellent teacher beside this glaring flaw, or might have been at one point.
Or maybe she has been garbage from the start but the school district doesn't give a shit because the US is facing a massive teacher shortage and the pay and benefits aren't remotely high enough to encourage enough people to take up the profession, meaning some areas of the country are forced to "take what ever we can get."

Top Bottom