• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Konami horizontal arcade shooter - Otomedius!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wow, this really came out of the blue! Looks like one of those games that never leave Japan, so I hope Konami sells it as DLC for the 360/PS3.

STG!

What board does this game run on? And what's the deal with the touch panel controls, seems like a pretty standard shooting setup to me.

Flyer:

otome.jpg

It looks like it's running on one of Konami's WinXP PC-based boards, like their recent Bemani stuff. It's a little too clean-looking to be on PS2 hardware at SD, and the 16:9 display in a couple of the shots makes me almost positive it's next-gen hardware.

Zerodoppler said:
The spirit of Parodius lives on, but why the hell did they have to ruin it with pedo art. :(((((
I don't see how that art is pedophilic. The girls are cute and wearing very fetishy maid-like costumes, but they don't look particularly young. Gaffers seem to be getting more and more oversensitive about this kind of thing.

Mugen

Banned
jiji said:
I don't see how that art is pedophilic. The girls are cute and wearing very fetishy maid-like costumes, but they don't look particularly young. Gaffers seem to be getting more and more oversensitive about this kind of thing.

yeah well, people with sick minds tend to think sick things. The guy is most likely a pedo or have pedo tendencies. That is why he automatically judged those pictures as pedophilic.

jiji said:

I'll admit that I haven't seen much anime, but the girl in blue looks to be about twelve years old with her tits hanging out. Pedo might have been a strong word, but I think it's at least questionable design.

Zerodoppler said:
I'll admit that I haven't seen much anime, but the girl in blue looks to be about twelve years old with her tits hanging out. Pedo might have been a strong word, but I think it's at least questionable design.
Ah, yeah, entrenched in that end of things as I am, she looks around sixteen-eighteen to me. The girl in pink is certainly a bit younger, though. And, yeah, they seem to have known exactly what they were doing in choosing that character designer, who's well-known for his perviness.

ghibli99

Downloading first vid...

...OMG, download faster, damn it (200KBps)...

...watching...

...OK, looks like this game has the killer fat penguin guys, just like Parodius. I'm all over this game. :D

shuri

Banned
jiji said:
Because a lot of gaffers are getting tired of artstyle in games that carters to animu freaks and hentai degenerates.

The End

Smiles and Cries said:
I want this game for my Wii... this has to come on Wii

there's almost certainly enough buttons on the wiimote if you hold it NES style, but there's no advantage to putting this on the wii.

The End said:
there's almost certainly enough buttons on the wiimote if you hold it NES style, but there's no advantage to putting this on the wii.

its called a Wii, what else can you ask for?

classic controller for the win

The End

I mean, cost aside, the PS3 is by far the most import-friendly this gen, and I'd love to see it there just for that reason.

hitoshi

ORLY?

Since when? I've thought it is the 360, just simply browse through Play-Asia's catalog, nearly every J-NTSC game can be played on NTSC or PAL systems (not to mention that those versions are cheaper).

shuri said:
Because a lot of gaffers are getting tired of artstyle in games that carters to animu freaks and hentai degenerates.
Well, it's probably not going to change in the near future. Might as well either get used to it or simply ignore the games that have it.

hitoshi said:
ORLY?

Since when? I've thought it is the 360, just simply browse through Play-Asia's catalog, nearly every J-NTSC game can be played on NTSC or PAL systems (not to mention that those versions are cheaper).

Not a single japanese game on X360 has been region free so far. The once at Play-Asia are asian versions.

man, the older i get the more i despise this cutsey japanese shit. they need to chill with that crap and keep it on ds for all the little kids where it belongs...

Tellaerin

shuri said:

And a lot of us are getting tired of being characterized as 'freaks' or 'degenerates' for liking Japanese(-style) art. That doesn't seem to stop anyone from making obnoxious remarks, though.

Hmm... maybe I ought to start calling anyone who likes Western art in games a pinheaded warmonger, and let everyone know how disgusted I am that Western game developers keep catering to these mouth-breathing psychos with hideous, so-called 'realistic' character art. Or do obnoxious stereotypes like that only fly when Western game fans are dishing them out? :p

icecream

Public Health Threat
All this hating would make sense if we were taking about some high profile game, but this is just a simple shooter guys, no need to attack the game here. It's probably not even leaving Japanese arcades...

icecream said:
All this hating would make sense if we were taking about some high profile game, but this is just a simple shooter guys, no need to attack the game here. It's probably not even leaving Japanese arcades...

It's a Konami shooter, though. Konami's shooters are among the best (Gradius!)... it'll get a home port somewhere, almost certainly.

Tellaerin said:
And a lot of us are getting tired of being characterized as 'freaks' or 'degenerates' for liking Japanese(-style) art. That doesn't seem to stop anyone from making obnoxious remarks, though.

Hmm... maybe I ought to start calling anyone who likes Western art in games a pinheaded warmonger, and let everyone know how disgusted I am that Western game developers keep catering to these mouth-breathing psychos with hideous, so-called 'realistic' character art. Or do obnoxious stereotypes like that only fly when Western game fans are dishing them out? :p

Why can't everyone just agree that both art styles are great and just argue about which pictures they like more... :)

Sorry for the old bump, but I stumbled upon this this past week and was wondering if there was any news of a home release? I'm totally gay for Yoshizaki's work. :(

Additionally, the male character never got his credit:

ca_emon.gif

Official Site

Jonnyram

Finally played this at the weekend - my local arcade has two machines :D

So, it makes good use of the Konami arcade card, whereby you collect experience to unlock weapons for your custom weapon set. You also unlock different difficulties for each stage, depending how good you are. It seems I pretty much suck though...

The gameplay is basically Gradius, but with a couple of key differences.

1) You don't have lives - you have two shield bars. Your shield energy wears down gradually, and when one bar runs out, you fly off the screen and drop all your power ups. Options stay on the screen and float by, a la Salamander / Gradius V, but all other power ups go. Then repeat.

2) In the sixth slot, instead of shield, there is a "blast" selection. You start with two blasts and you can use them whenever you want to do some whopping damage and give yourself a small bit of invincibility. You can hold up to two at any time, and when you've got those two charged, the blast selection is no longer available. Not sure if this is the same across the board - I stuck to Vic Viper for the two games I played. And there are two ways to use your blasts. One is a single button press to let off a bomb-type explosion. The other is a hold-button-charge-until-ring-is-full thing. After you let it off, you get to touch the screen as much as you want over a period of a few seconds, selecting targets to hit. This could be good, but I used it at a super lame section. The bad part about this type of blast is that you lose all your power-ups, including options. So probably best used as a last resort... unless it's a score orgy type deal. I didn't check.

The first two stages were pretty rocking, but I didn't get any further. I wish arcades let you plug in headphones too... I couldn't tell what the hell the characters were saying and there were no subtitles :/

Okay Treasure and Konami.....2D Shooter Fight Off for Xbox Live Arcade supremacy!

Ready?

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I like how the edge of her outfit is red where the nipples are, so when you look from the side it looks like you can see them. Real clever Japan. Real clever.

That aside, meh. The anime art seems plain.

JRPereira

Hot diggity damn! New x-dius!

My penis is going to go up up down down left right left right b a select start all night.

Take THAT oversensitive gamers - now you have to choose between your beloved konami code and the h-game creepiness!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I like the idea of this game. I love the Parodius games so it's nice to see the series, or at least the concept, live on in some way.

I wonder as much as anyone what happened to the days where shooters had actual spaceships, but to be fair, the Parodius games had some playable character designs that were almost as...provocative....as these designs.

Mockingbird said:
I like how the edge of her outfit is red where the nipples are, so when you look from the side it looks like you can see them. Real clever Japan. Real clever.

That aside, meh. The anime art seems plain.

Mine Yoshizaki criticism coming from someone with this:

AA4avatar.jpg

as an avatar?

Take a long walk off a short pier, buster. >:|

Zerodoppler said:

What?

The End said:
And the advantages of putting it on the 360/PS3 are...people aren't saying put it on the Wii to use the controller, they're saying it because they HAVE a Wii and WANT to play the game. Geez...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I finally had a chance to play this last weekend as well. Aside from the shield bars and the added blast option, the game play is exactly like the Gradius/Parodius games. The graphics themselves are clean, but quite simple; I don't think the Playstation 2 or Wii would have any trouble handling a perfect conversion, and the use of touch screen in the game is minimal and could easily be replaced by a cursor or just d-pad commands.

Otomedius's art is handled by Yoshizaki Mine, the artist best known for Keroro Gunso. I like his art a lot; it's also quite clean and bright. I'd describe the character design as very "moe," but really, when you're playing, it's nothing more than a typical Gradius ship with legs and a torso sticking out, and it didn't appear that the girl (and the one male character available) getting shot did any damage; the hit box seems to be around the ship only.

The game seemed pretty good and challenging. My only real problem is that for a game that clearly leans towards Parodius, it was nowhere near as original or as wacky as those games were. The older games' sprite-based art also works better compared to the simplistic polygons being used in Otomedius as well. I'm not about to go out and get a Konami E-musement card to save player data, but I'd definitely buy a home version if they release one.

Jonnyram

Lyte Edge said:
I'm not about to go out and get a Konami E-musement card to save player data, but I'd definitely buy a home version if they release one.
But you can use the E-musement card for everything, right? And it's only 300 yen :)
I'm gonna work on proceeding through the game as much as possible though. While I agree it's not as absurd as Parodius, I do think the level design is quite nice. Level 2 has a strong Gradius V vibe in the way it rotates and stuff.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Imm0rt4l said:
oh lord.....I had all but erased images of that game from my head.

You can never escape Cho Aniki. It and its images of cranial gardening will remain haunting the depths of your very soul for eternity.

Top Bottom