• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Langrisser game announced in Famitsu magazine (3DS, Summer 2015)

Nairume

Banned
Looking into the new artist is turning up a good bit of erotica

Guess it's appropriate if they aren't going with Urushihara :V

L~A

First official pics from Famitsu:

l_54d1be9f95cadgduwf.jpg

l_54d1be9f190e501ux7.jpg

l_54d1bea011f3c26ugs.jpg

l_54d1bea047e83j8u28.jpg

Mr. RPG

I've never played one of these games before. I'm extremely excited.

I really hope this is released in North America!

Those pics look ok imo. I like the 2D sprites on a 3D background look of the main battle map which will be what I will spend the most time looking at. Looking at the picture it looks like commanders will have 6 troops like Der Langrisser rather than L1's 8. A good choice imo since L1 would get overcrowded at times..

What the devs REALLY need to get right is the music (uptempo & melodic), the 16bit originals were some of the best music on the MD and SNES.

Voliko

SonyToo!™;150603344 said:
Those pics look ok imo. I like the 2D sprites on a 3D background look of the main battle map which will be what I will spend the most time looking at. Looking at the picture it looks like commanders will have 6 troops like Der Langrisser rather than L1's 8. A good choice imo since L1 would get overcrowded at times..

What the devs REALLY need to get right is the music (uptempo & melodic), the 16bit originals were some of the best music on the MD and SNES.
I kind of hoped Iwadare was composing if only to hear another Iwadare soundtrack

I kind of hoped Iwadare was composing if only to hear another Iwadare soundtrack

If he was I'm sure we would know by now, he did work on that vapourware Langrisser Schwarz MMO in 2010 so who knows what happened. I haven't listened much of his more recent soundtracks so I can't say if his musical tastes continue to be a good fit for the series or not. (IIRC isn't he into making more orchestral type music rather than simple melodies with rich electronic sounds that Langrisser is known for?)

Shame Ryu Umemoto is no longer around as he would have suited Langrisser to a T imo.

Nairume

Banned
Out of curiosity, I checked into the two staff members we've heard about (aside from the artist).

Shohei Sato, who is listed as the director, actually has some prior connection to Langrisser/Masaya. Mobygames lists him as being given a special thanks/technology credit in Langrisser V and was also a producer and group manager for the 2009 revival of Cho Aniki. Prior to working at Extreme, he was a GM at Masaya's parent company (which may explain his credit in L5). Weirdly enough, Extreme's own website says Sato is actually the President/CEO of Extreme, not Soshi Saito.

Soshi Satio doesn't seem to pull anything up that isn't news about Langrisser 3DS working off the same translated source, so maybe there's a mistranslation/miscommunication somewhere in there.

Extreme's history also makes it seem like one of the first major things they did after they were established was to work out a deal with NCS to work with/manage Masaya properties in NCS's place, so I wonder if maybe Extreme is actually a bunch of Masaya alums splitting off from the parent company to function on their own (not that it means much for Langrisser, since we know where the main people behind that went).

Durask

You people are too jaded and pessimistic

As someone who played most Langrisser games (L1 on PCE and MD, L2 on MD and Der L on SNES, L3, L4 and L5 on Saturn) I am psyched.

Steampunk setting looks interesting as well.

Also the music on their website is one of the old Iwadare tunes so hopefully he'll be on board.

duckroll

Nairume, I think there's a misunderstanding there. Soshi Saito is the lead designer and director of the game. Shohei Sato is the CEO of Extreme. Those were the roles listed in the interview.

Nairume

Banned
Sites reporting on it must have been using this thread for information, since I saw the switch up elsewhere too :p

But, yeah, their own site shows Sato as their CEO.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got so excited when I read the title, my interest dropped when I saw the pics. Urushihara is one of my favorite anime artists and I love his work in the Langrisser series. Hopefully the series will live up to the rep of the classic SRPG series but we'll see. Anyways, more SRPGs is good news.

Durask

It's generic but not awful

Also Urushihara's proportions were super freaky sometimes - pay attention to his legs and arms

Top Bottom