• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mario Kart 8 Deluxe gameplay

Maybe :(
But i think we can all agree that - as simple as Nintendo wants to keep the settings in games like Mario Kart - two sliders for music and SFX volume wouldn't hurt, would they?

Exactly that! It's such a common option. It wouldn't overwhelm anyone. Fingers crossed that the Switch version offers this, but of course I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

And I'll still play the hell out of this game again. Very hyped to have the best Mario Kart with me on the go!

jacobeid

Banned
I don't disagree with more audio options, but for those with problems with MK8, you should do some investigating to see how your sound system is set up. MK8 has very balanced audio on Wii U.

Still deciding whether to buy this for Switch now or wait for a B2G1 sale later in the year. I already put 100+ hours into the game on Wii U and battle mode was never really my thing.

boiled goose

good with gravy
MK8 is a game that could have used Smash style achievements. The game had no incentives for me to experiment with characters and karts.

Shahadan

I don't disagree with more audio options, but for those with problems with MK8, you should do some investigating to see how your sound system is set up. MK8 has very balanced audio on Wii U.

Still deciding whether to buy this for Switch now or wait for a B2G1 sale later in the year. I already put 100+ hours into the game on Wii U and battle mode was never really my thing.

Nothing to do with sound systems. It's a common complaint because there are a lot of sound effects all the time and no sound options.
Some will be bothered by it, others won't.

I bought Wii U for Mario Kart 8 and all those great games shown in E3 2014. Man, it's already been three years. Time surely pass quick.

I will pick up MK8D on Day 1.

I sold my Wii U and MK8 and will get MK8D Day One, and it might be the most played switchgame, if it gets the playtime it got on Wii U, whenever my brother was around we went online 2p and always had a blast! Now even on the road or when I visit him, perfect game...

Rodin

Pink boost alone would be a reason for me to buy the game considering how much time i spend in time trials to get really good times. This should add a new layer of strategy and change how to approach the stages, can't wait to see the new world records.

Playing it on a portable console will also be an incredible jump from MK7.

I am afraid of the "carrying 2 items at the same time" thing, won't this make the races a spam fest and disrupt the flow too much? I hope not.

TheMoon

Maybe :(
But i think we can all agree that - as simple as Nintendo wants to keep the settings in games like Mario Kart - two sliders for music and SFX volume wouldn't hurt, would they?

I have been yelling about audio options in MK for decades, yes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am thinking about going digitally since it would be nice to have this game ready to go whenever I want to play a race without having to switch cards, but I expect the digital version to be more expensive then the physical one :(

Is it a full price game? I have mine preordered physically from amazon for £40 so if it's full price it'll be £60 digitally

Stoze

I am afraid of the "carrying 2 items at the same time" thing, won't this make the races a spam fest and disrupt the flow too much? I hope not.

You can hold 2 items but you can't acquire/use them any faster (unless they added more item boxes), so I don't think it will be as drastic of a change as it sounds like. We'll see though, I can see first place being much easier to defend, when it was already the easiest position to hold once you got there after the initial scramble.

Oh. Hmm.. £10 premium to have it always available? Although after our family is done with Zelda then MK will probably be a permanent fixture in the card slot anyway

Tbh MK is probably the only retail game on any console I'd consider going digital for as it will get the most play time by far. but seeing as I'm only paying £33 for it I won't this time.

I've probably played more Double Dash than any other MK (by a factor of 100 probably) but I'm very excited about this new third power slide. I haven't played MK8 in a while, it doesn't require snaking to get the power slide boost right? That was something which really raised the skill barrier in DD.

everything is 60 except local 3-4 player splitscreen.

No 60fps 16 player split screen? Preorder cancelled.

the last Mario Kart I played was 7 on the 3DS. How does this compare to that?

An improvement in every way. You get more characters, more items, more courses (a couple of the 3DS courses got remade, even), the flying + underwater gimmicks combined with the, imo, better anti-grav one, better online, and better graphics.

Futureman

I have a Prime trial that ends in 2 weeks... I should probably just go ahead and preorder for $48.

So in the Wii U version you had to do grand prix mode to open everything up but in this one everything is just unlocked from the beginning? That's kinda dumb...

Kebiinu

Banned
Guys! Guys!

What about Mario Kart TV? :)

If they brought it back with additional editing features, I'd be so hype. I really enjoyed playing around and uploading my craziest races, only the loading times pushed me away.

It's not as good as 7 in its WiiU incarnation IMO. Item balance is all over the place, something that was perfected in 7. Kart customisation is a big step back (and the balancing of the kart classes are a joke in 8), and while 7's battle mode isn't fantastic it's still better than the mess that passes off as battle mode in 8. 7 also allows you to hold up to 2 items at once, something that was oddly removed in the original version of 8. 7's problem is that it's a bit content starved so 8 has it beat there, but the actual mechanics were a step back imo.

Having said all that though 8 Deluxe looks to fix most of my issues with 8 and could be the definitive game in the series.
After DS version that is :p

Berordn

Guys! Guys!

What about Mario Kart TV? :)

If they brought it back with additional editing features, I'd be so hype. I really enjoyed playing around and uploading my craziest races, only the loading times pushed me away.

MKTV is on the menu screen shots we've seen. Presumably back in its entirety from the Wii U version.

TheMoon

How did you miss the heaps of praise MK8 got buried under? It's the best Mario Kart out there.

Is battle mode online?

Of course.

Are there actually new Amiibo costumes? Does anyone know what they are?

mk8damiibo2_thumbkausn.jpg

Inkling suit is the only new costume.

Top Bottom