• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mass Effect Andromeda screenshots

So aside from the fact that they look incredibly beautiful I found this particular screenshot from gameinformer interesting.

It shows button layouts, and the fact that there is in-fact an ability slot that uses both bumpers (which I hate by the way, no game should force you to press two buttons at the same time to perform one action, it's cumbersome).

I also notice the icon for the second companion, which would appear to be the female human Cora and a reflection of her appearance? Looks like she (Cora) might be rocking a haircut similar to that of fem Ryder?

Most important thing in this thread.

Also I completely agree. If they went with a "modular" system where you hold a button to change what other button inputs do, I think that would be okay. People who've played FFXIV on console know what I'm talking about. Essentially you either hold L2 or R2 to change what the four d-pad buttons do or the four face buttons do. It feels pretty natural and is a great way to map a lot of inputs without feeling cumbersome.

Hitting L1+R1 at the same time while also having L1 and R1 do separate powers is just going to me using the wrong power a shit ton.

Van Bur3n

Curious as to what all of these planets will have to offer in terms of exploration.

But I'm really liking the idea of the jet pack. I feel its going to add some nice verticality to some of the level design, and hopefully with that it will lead to much more engaging combat rather than the waist-high wall fest of ME2/ME3. That last game play footage they had at the Game Awards showed that vanguard looking player jumping around the battlefield with their biotics and it was looking great.

I've liked the information we've heard so far on it, but I could use a little more to grab me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Those aren't ugly screenshots by any stretch of the imagination, but they really don't look like something I'd choose to use a screenshot of. A few in particular look like textbook examples of things that'll be "better in motion."

its like a screenshot i'd up taking on my ps4 because of that delay in taking a screenshot lol

Lt-47

These...these are not strong screens.

Anyone--like me--who is already excited by the game will not be deterred but these do not look great.

Their marketing department needs to try harder.

It's screenshot of actual game play, no fancy framing/camera work here so of course they look a bit "uninspired". (I don't why they posted these tho, I guess there are from the nvidia video)

meerak

Why is it that devs so often give out (or allow the release of) such poor quality screenshots to represent their games.

99% of people looking at screenshots just don't give a shit like you think. Proof's in the pudding. This is how screenshots have been treated since the dawn of time. Most people are more excited by "LAVA!" "JETPACKS!" and really aren't squinting over IQ.

sono

Yes. That's why they went with the new title, to try to avoid scaring people off who haven't played the first three.

Although I cant imagine why in the world there are people waiting for this who havent played them. They are brilliant.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Have they mentioned anything regarding multiplayer in this? I have it pre ordered with 20% off but I might go digital to Game Share with my brother.

Have they mentioned anything regarding multiplayer in this? I have it pre ordered with 20% off but I might go digital to Game Share with my brother.

they haven't dug deep into it but they've said it's definitely going to have a MP component and I think it's supposed to be similar to ME3's.

robotrock

Banned
Genuinely confused as to what's wrong with it. Just because it's capture mid-gameplay with motion blur?

It's primarily the angle of the shot itself. I'm not really sure what they are trying to show with it. The motion blur doesn't help either.

I prefer my screenshots of video games to be mid-gameplay, but this one isn't pleasant to look at.

These screenshots aren't doing anything for me. This is the kind of reveal that would make a big splash as a teaser 6 months to a year ago, not as a primary source of information 2 months before release.

Bessy67

So aside from the fact that they look incredibly beautiful I found this particular screenshot from gameinformer interesting.

It shows button layouts, and the fact that there is in-fact an ability slot that uses both bumpers (which I hate by the way, no game should force you to press two buttons at the same time to perform one action, it's cumbersome).

I also notice the icon for the second companion, which would appear to be the female human Cora and a reflection of her appearance? Looks like she (Cora) might be rocking a haircut similar to that of fem Ryder?
The double button press seems awful. I wonder what the y button does now that it can't be used for a power like in ME3...

It fucking sucks that Amazon give a pithy £2 off preorders here compared to the 20% the US gets. I might just wait for the post release drop now.

The double button press seems awful. I wonder what the y button does now that it can't be used for a power like in ME3...
Don't all characters have access to a jetpack now? If so then my guess is that Y maps to its use.

Are we the evil aliens invading another galaxy this time?
That's a good question. From a story perspective, it's hard to justify us fighting some 'big bad' when we are the ones encroaching on their space. The game could get around that by having us meet some friendly aliens that need 'saving'. Or it could simply have some other race launch an unprovoked attack while we offer an obvious olive branch of diplomacy. Both options still lack the punch of protecting your home planet from an invader.

i appreciate, very much, that these definitely are NOT bullshots.

that being said, compression is awful, so can't tell that much - but looks good enough to me.

#inmyveins

Whompa02

Looks... pedestrian.

ah_yes__quite__by_kainbloodbane-d3cemk1.jpg

For real tho: Personally the execution is really nice. Here's hoping the story is worth telling. So far I've loved Mass Effect. The ending to 3 was rough but hopefully this goes beyond that and can bring back that sense of wonder the franchise is known for

Fallout 4 released so soon after The Witcher 3 that Bethesda probably didn't have time to raise their game in response to CDPR's opus... but it's been long enough since ME3 and Inquisition that Bioware has no excuse. I expect Witcher-quality character models, side quests, world and monster design, etc in Andromeda.

Nothing I've seen so far hints at that level of jaw-dropping quality, and that worries me this close to release.

RedSwirl

The shots in the OP look a lot like Mass Effect 3. That is to say: a regular-ass third person shooter.

I love those shots of the ship

CES%202017%20Screenshot%2003.jpg

THIS is what I want from Mass Effect. This is the most appealing screenshot out of the new batch, but I know that backdrop is just nothing more than a backdrop and not real playable space. This is why I haven't gotten excited about Andromeda yet.

Renekton

Fallout 4 released so soon after The Witcher 3 that Bethesda probably didn't have time to raise their game in response to CDPR's opus... but it's been long enough since ME3 and Inquisition that Bioware has no excuse. I expect Witcher-quality character models, side quests, world and monster design, etc in Andromeda.
Witcher 3's monsters are bland and the world is intentionally depressing. Models are so-so as they have stiff animation compared to FFXV's main characters. Sidequests are majority batdetective mode follow red trails.

CDPR fans should hibernate for Cyberpunk instead of imposing Witcherism on other RPGs.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This game is really coming out in couple of months? Feels surreal.

Feels so surreal: I think I like it.

Marketing ramp up should be going full tilt after today one would think....it's been nigh on a media blackout such a massive franchise.

Day one, I might even double dip on PC/PS4 Pro for the 4K love.

TirMcGrey

I'm not really feeling this game too much. The environments look gorgeous, for sure, but they're mostly backdrops that don't really add much for gameplay and after 3 with the series mainly going for the "balls to the wall gunplay with a dash of "magic/psychic" gameplay, I'll give this a rental over a first day purchase.

Especially if anything like the 3rd's multiplayer is added on, making it half baked in terms of getting the most out of the single player.

Point by point...

Witcher 3's monsters are bland

I mean, I don't see other AAA WRPGs with creatures on the level of Noon Wraiths, The Crones, Fiends, Devourers, Leshens, etc.

the world is intentionally depressing.

More like a "realistic" depiction of a war-torn nation. A place like that would absolutely be a craphole, not a pretty paradise.

Models are so-so as they have stiff animation compared to FFXV's main characters.

FFXV is my GOTY, and the animations are absolutely a cut above TW3 on average. The level of detail on models in both games is amazing though, and miles above Bioware's shiny plastic dolls.

Sidequests are majority batdetective mode follow red trails.

And they still have best-in-class writing that makes doing every single one worthwhile. Hell of a lot more than can be said for the vast majority of Bioware and Bethesda quests.

CDPR fans should hibernate for Cyberpunk instead of imposing Witcherism on other RPGs.

Why? I'm not saying every AAA RPG should be like The Witcher, I'm saying that every AAA RPG should be trying to live up to the rising standards of the genre instead of just coasting by on incremental upgrades to aging formulas. (And again, I love and have played every one of Bioware and Bethesda's games to death, but I'm not blind to what they need to improve.)

Renekton

I mean, I don't see other AAA WRPGs with creatures on the level of Noon Wraiths, The Crones, Fiends, Devourers, Leshens, etc.
Those don't even outshine last gen ME technohorrors like Brutes or Banshees. And then Soulsborne monster designs are so much better that Leshen would look like a meek npc merchant there.

Those don't even outshine last gen ME technohorrors like Brutes or Banshees. And then Soulsborne monster designs are so much better that Leshen would look like a meek npc merchant there.

Soulsborne is the top of the genre, but that's why I specified Western RPGs (WRPGs). I haven't seen any mention of a Bioware monster outside of the Banshee in ages.

Top Bottom