• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V previews coming 6/9 (no story info though)

eso76

- But here is when it gets rough

The problem was that once asked for an investigation that would take, say, four hours of real time to complete.

"I noticed an option to finish instantly".

When selected, it appeared an error message on the screen that told me that certain options were not available without access to the PlayStation Network.

Yup, sounds like microtransaction.
Wouldn't surprise me to learn
Konami's business strategies are one of the reasons behind Kojima's departure

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think people will eat crow when it comes to the story and cutscenes of this game. Kojima always talked about the story in his interviews, how he tries to write Big Boss so that people still have a sympathy for him even though everyone knows he will turn into the villain.
The story will have to be amazing to hold a candle to the Witcher 3, so far the dialogue and pacing of conversations certainly doesn't.

FiraB

Banned
Yeah, Sony must make an absolute fucking fortune, charging that much on the store.

It's a wonder people pay it.
New Zealand Sony store prices are a joke as well, I buy everything from my NA account because Sony NZ is a absolute fucking ripoff. Digital and I still have to pay $119 for a game? Why?

Digital was suppose to reduce the costs, not keep them the same or increase them.

TheBoss1

New Zealand Sony store prices are a joke as well, I buy everything from my NA account because Sony NZ is a absolute fucking ripoff. Digital and I still have to pay $119 for a game? Why?

Digital was suppose to reduce the costs, not keep them the same or increase them.

Really? Damn!

The story will have to be amazing to hold a candle to the Witcher 3, so far the dialogue and pacing of conversations certainly doesn't.

The Witcher 3 goes for a different kind of story. One that can be molded by the player when it comes to interacting with the small elements of the world. What MGS as a series provides, is a narrative to something bigger. In the past, you'd get the small elements through codec dialogue, but it all contributes to the narrative of the world.

They're both going for different things.

it's also just a an early chunk of game we're talking about her. TLoU is a masterpiece of storytelling, writing and acting to me. but i certainly wouldn't call in that if I just played the first 3rd of the game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The Witcher 3 goes for a different kind of story. One that can be molded by the player when it comes to interacting with the small elements of the world. What MGS as a series provides, is a narrative to something bigger. In the past, you'd get the small elements through codec dialogue, but it all contributes to the narrative of the world.

They're both going for different things.
True, but that doesn't have anything to do with dialogue or character writing not to mention that the Witcher 3 does have an overarching narrative. Both things that the writers at CDPR nailed. Conversations feel natural, dialogue doesn't sound hokey unless it's done for comedic value. In fact, its' even more commendable considering how much dialogue and voice acting is in the game with the amount of choices provided when they could've easily just taken the bioware route and provided clear good and evil choices with a jesus like savior of a protagonist.

jwk94

it's also just a an early chunk of game we're talking about her. TLoU is a masterpiece of storytelling, writing and acting to me. but i certainly wouldn't call in that if I just played the first 3rd of the game.

Are we still talking about the 12 hour thing? Because if so, 12 hours is absolutely not an early chunk. That's a long time to ask someone to invest.

kotor22

A good question to anyone who was at the event, how much they recognized from the trailers cutscenes in their preview. I dont mean to say specifics I mean like ..."I dont remember seeing anything from these trailers in the event, well except for this and this" but without spoilers? Maybe it was too risky... 'cause I know they can't talk about story whatsoever. I guess I answered my own question, haha.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
"The Phantom Pain is a game that can also suddenly change in a survival horror game when
the Skulls decide to thwart your missions. It is also a game that doesn't eschew to give you the opportunity to kill/attack African child soldiers and face the consequences.
The Phantom Pain is more than a game; it is the first real interactive product which differentiates itself completely in a positive way from anything I've been able to play previous generations.(Sorry, Bloodborne. Not even close.) The Phantom Pain feels like something from the future. And to think that I have only played sixteen hours and that you can easily invest ten times as much time in the final product if you want to experience everything. Hideo Kojima, you lovable bastard, you; I love you. If the remaing part of the Phantom Pain is as good as the first sixteen hours, then it will not only become the Game of the Year, but perhaps one of the best games of all time. And I say this while being completeley sober."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167765421&postcount=5621

robb_w7

Banned
Playstation store is always stupidly inflated prices regardless but i did think the same seeing it. Bastards.

Yeah its always insanely priced, i do not get why someone would pay more to have it digitally when they can order it to their home on Day 1.....

Makes no sense

Tho this sort of pricing has been going on for a while now so i guess their are some mentally insane people who are buying game at that price

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

QnKEsGt.gif

MNC

Sucks about the story, but the MGS open world gameplay is so good. I guess Kojima wanted to make a game instead of a movie for the final episode.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You know what this game is missing? 80's action flick music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85v2gBLNOos

The soundtrack better be Rambo 3 as fuck. It would be amazing if someone could create a Kojima Productions logo animation and run it on top of the Carolco jingle, then mod that into the PC version.
Yeah, Metal Gear has captured certain aesthetic with its music before, so I hope they nail it again. I fear the game may be light on music because of its open worldiness, though.

Ratrat

Why are people comparing this with the Witcher 3? it's not going to be anything like that game at all. Snake is not going to free roam doing missions for random villagers and killing monsters.

t_berta

Neo Member
Why are people comparing this with the Witcher 3? it's not going to be anything like that game at all. Snake is not going to free roam doing missions for random villagers and killing monsters.

because typical neogaf users have absolutely no idea how games work

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Is this about the thread with microtransactions?

Erm, no. :(

This is about Konami disbanding Kojima Productions, all KP's staff serving out the remainder of their terms as contractees until they expire on 12/31, all KP marketing abruptly ending, a mass conspiracy of "what the hell happened" amidst it all, Kojima himself no longer being allowed to market his own game and legitimate questions erupting in the media on whether or not it'll even be in the game, Konami moving wayward of the console gaming space in general...

...the list goes on, but suffice it to say you have some heartbreaking catching up to do, my friend.

RangerBAD

This is about Konami disbanding Kojima Productions, all KP's staff serving out the remainder of their terms as contractees until they expire on 12/31, all KP marketing abruptly ending, a mass conspiracy of "what the hell happened" amidst it all, Kojima himself no longer being allowed to market his own game and legitimate questions erupting in the media on whether or not it'll even be in the game, Konami moving wayward of the console gaming space in general...

...the list goes on, but suffice it to say you have some heartbreaking catching up to do, my friend.

We do at least know that staff members' names show up at the end of each "episode" in the game including Kojima's.

Shit.... I've been in full Witcher mode the past few weeks so I haven't kept up, I was just searching and found this

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/what-s-going-on-with-konami-kojima-and-metal-gear-/1100-6426954/

End of an era

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
We do at least know that staff members' names show up at the end of each "episode" in the game including Kojima's.

True that! Forgot about that one. It's definitely the least they can do.

And, sorry to break it to ya, person I broke it to just now. (I'm on mobile and forgot your user name, haha. Sorry.)

SomTervo

So I got hold of the UK's Official Playstation Magazine on Saturday and I read the 16-page MGSV special in great detail. There were a couple of tidbits which really clarified some discussions happening in this thread. The following has all been printed but there seems to be very slight misinformation/misinformed discussion surrounding it:

No story/universe spoilers below.

1. MGSV: TPP's mission structure

1.1. Story/campaign mission structure

- main story missions are "Episodes". Eg episode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc, etc. Very like a TV show
- these are unlocked in a non-linear fashion and don't need to be completed in order
- for example you unlock episodes 3, 4 and 5 simultaneously, and you need to complete any two of these to unlock episode 6.
- there were indications that you can 'miss' game content (eg Buddies, key tools) if you, for example, chose not to do episode 4
- the key 'choke point' missions like episode 6 will progress the story in a big way and probably open up another 'batch' of simultaneous episodes
- very much like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, or Thief 3, every Story mission has 1 or 2 Primary objectives and up to 3-4 'secondary objectives'. These aren't necessary and aren't game-changing, but will net you some great resources (eg blueprints or money). They really promote exploring the level and engaging with the gameplay more.
This has me super excited, secondary objectives are a huge part of good game design imo and they've been neglected for years.

1.2. Side ops

- most side ops will net you extra resources, gadgets or weapons.
- however, some are marked as 'Important' and these might suddenly turn into full-blown story missions

2. Overworld/open world structure

2.1. Spawning/travelling

- when you boot the game you will spawn on the Chopper, your main base of operations (I'm not 100% on this but it was inferred and makes the most sense)
- you can choose a mission (episode or side-op) direct from there and immediately land on location, or
- you can choose Mother Base/Forward Operating base and land there, or
- you can choose an open world landing point (without activating a mission) and land there for free roam

- none of the bases the writer encountered in Afghanistan or South Africa were as big as Camp Omega in Ground Zeroes.
This really disappointed me, but hopefully he only saw 50% of the game's locations. I want a Grozsny Grad killer, goddamnit.

2.2. How do story missions or side ops differ in deployment?

- missions (any type) are activated by selecting them on the iDroid (on-foot or in-chopper)
- they fall into two categories: ones that can be started by going to an area/point by your own methods, or ones which require chopper deployment (you have to be on-chopper to deploy them)
- you can start some story missions (episodes) from the open world but not all. For instance, (hypothetically), you may be able to begin Episode 4 by selecting it in the iDroid and travelling to a point on Afghanistan's map. But you may only be able to begin Episode 5 by immediate helicopter pick up and deployment (helicopter landing must be part of the opening cinematic/mission structure or something)

- you can travel to all side ops from the open world (a big blue circle will highlight the side op's active area) or you can choose to deploy from helicopter

2.3. Mission area limits - possible problem

This was highlighted in other posts and other previews.
- side ops have no area limits. You can't fail a side op by leaving the area.
- story missions (Episodes) do have area limits. Sometimes they are large and forgiving. Other times they will funnel you artificially into a tight path.
- the reviewer said he experienced failure because of an arbitrary zone
- however, he said this worked in terms of the game's difficulty balancing. The game would be pointlessly easy if you could ride the long way around a base to entirely avoid an encounter while on an important story mission. The 'active area' mission mechanic means that, like in earlier MGS games, we have to travel through outposts or bases to proceed, even if there's technically a mile of desert to one side that we could travel through

3. MGO

- smaller PvP encounters
- very similar structure to MGO2 that came with MGS4.
- some other stuff I can't remember which was nice but not substantial

Yeah, the games will be 95% different – the comparisons are only happening because the consensus is they're the two biggest GotY heavyweight contenders this year. Which is fair game imo.

Top Bottom