• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Other M Gameplay Trailer

I dislike the English voices. Also, there better be an option to turn those tutorial pop-ups off.

I don't know. I'm not feeling this game anymore. It just seems too much along the lines of being an interactive film. I guess that's what accessible design is these days.

Nessus

maharg said:
Because they never killed off all the metroids before.

To me it seems very unlikely that the BSL station was the *only* Federation installation containing Metroids/Metroid cell cultures.

I mean, I know it's a video game, but if you look at it:

Between Samus arriving on the Ceres station in the intro to Super Metroid, and her leaving presumably no more than a couple weeks later, they managed to mail away cell culture samples (that would survive to be used to make the vaccine in Fusion) prior to the destruction of the station by the Space Pirates.

After seeing how vulnerable they could be, and how much the Federation's enemies would love to get their hands on any samples, you'd think they'd produce as many copies as possible.

The cinematic aspect doesn't bother me, but the controls definitely do. Moving with the D-Pad through fully 3D environments is not my idea of fun.

Analog controls were invented for a reason Sakamoto.

TunaLover

Willy105 said:
Why slow down?
There is a sequence in which Samus is holding her cannon arm walking slowly, I though it could be posible just walk. I love explore areas, see details and such, and it's kinda hard do that to such speed, hopefully there is a visor mode so it's cool.

Analog controls were invented for a reason Sakamoto.
Nintendo invented analog controls, they can destroy them if they want.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I actually thought that the new videos looked pretty good. I don't have the same excitement level as I usually do for a new Metroid but I think that, at the very least, this is going to be an interesting and unique game. I'm not sure how it'll stack up to the other Metroids but it'll definitely be a unique game that's worth playing. I still do kind of think that the game might have been better suited to 3DS as opposed to Wii but maybe if it does well we'll see some others like it later on.

Boney

Banned
TunaLover said:
There is a sequence in which Samus is holding her cannon arm walking slowly, I though it could be posible just walk. I love explore areas, see details and such, and it's kinda hard do that to such speed, hopefully there is a visor mode so it's cool.
There are "investigation" parts, where the camara shifts behind the shoulder RE4 style. And if you wanna look, 1st person is your best bet (ugh).

WillyFive

Dr.Hadji said:
Samus, like Mario always moves with with run button held down for me.

There's a run button?

(I only played Metroid Zero Mission)

Samus always seemed fast enough for me. It's not like Mario where he pretty much just strolls when not running.

What are people talking about with always running? They show her stopped for a while, doesn't seem like it's stuck running.

Edit: Wait, you use the dpad to move instead of the analog? Am I reading that right?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What are people talking about with always running? They show her stopped for a while, doesn't seem like it's stuck running.

Edit: Wait, you use the dpad to move instead of the analog? Am I reading that right?
The game controls with the Wii Remote held sideways.

For some reason.

WillyFive

I like using the Wii remote only, because it's annoying having to use both the Wiimote and Nunchuck at the same time. It's a lot easier and faster to just pick up the remote and go.

Boney

Banned
Willy105 said:
I like using the Wii remote only, because it's annoying having to use both the Wiimote and Nunchuck at the same time. It's a lot easier and faster to just pick up the remote and go.
?

Willy105 said:
Yeah, fuck decent controls.

slaughterking said:
"The word he so obviously chose, 'cringe', [awkward pause] pierced my heart."
Seriously. Get this JRPG emo-nonsense out of my Metroid!
Samus is supposed to be the biggest bad-ass in space, being called an outsider shouldn't make her break out the razors.

Otherwise it looks pretty fun. I hope it controls well.

Beth Cyra

Willy105 said:

Joke?

I mean the Nunchuck is like almost nonexistent so it's weight shouldn't make it any harder, and since they are connected I can't believe it would be any faster to grab the Wii Remote with out the Chuck.

Maybe it's just me though. If the WiiM/Chuck combo's buttons had been better placed it would be my favorite controller of all time. I freaking love the split hands.

dkeane

Looking forward to this. I don't understand the complaints about the controls, all the levels I've seen are laid out in grids so there's very little reason to travel diagonally.
But this does concern me because it makes me think there won't be more organic settings.

mantidor

In those last videos at comic con I just hope the guy playing sucked because that was frustrating. Now I'm a bit wary about the controls.

What I see is that the level design is not really 3D, is actually a 2.5D, the design obviously shows the lack of need of analog, all levels are very squared and rectangular. I can see that as a barrier though, when people see 3D they expect Mario 64 controls so it might take some time getting used to it.

I'm not liking the graphics though, they are great on technical level but the use of color is terrible. I am a fan of color but Samus yellow suit is a pain to the eyes, the monsters aren't that much better, specially when put against those dark corridors. Well, at least I no longer care for the voice acting, I'm not a fan but I'll live.

I made the JP boxart my iPhone wallpaper (granted I edited it just a tad).

othermiphonewall.jpg

robor

Boney said:
Except this is only the case with Super Metroid?

Am I the only one who thinks this looks really really good?
It gives a different impression than Super, but it still feels very atmospheric, fast and great looking.

I don't know maybe I should lay off the crazy pills.

Hells of no. This Comic-Con demo just re-enforced my hype for this game. I thought the dialogue was very appropriate and like Hadji it gave a real isolated feel to Samus. I also love Adam, he sounds like a total asshole and the way his team just left her there truly felt like they captured that isolated feel. Totally pumped.

Some stuff worth noting though regarding the dude playing the demo:

- He's playing the game like he's playing for his life. Button mashing to the max.

- He's disregarding some of the new mechanics employed in this game (i.e. dodge, auto-lock).

Overall it looks fantastic. The composer is doing a stellar job, he's displayed some really elastic composition techniques (tension-build-release). I also love how some of the enemies actually knock Samus over, a very cool penalty which gives the enemies more depth as to how they can punish the player. Oh and the FMV to in-game transition is just insane; showing complete command over the hardware Project M is working on.

Oh and the only people who need to lay off the crazy pills are the people calling you crazy for finding interest in this game.

Top Bottom