• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Motorstorm: Apocalypse screens

Rattles

Beta footage Here

Please tell me environment destruction happens online. Vehicle physics also looks stupid and with all the other vids vehicle damage looks toned down aswell :/

Manp

GrayFoxPL said:
Well tie me naked to a gorilla cage and stick banana up my arse if this doesn't look like the funnest racer of this generation!

Can't wait!

i'd start coding a funnier racer right now just to see that

ElRenoRaven

NumSkull- said:
Beta footage Here

Please tell me environment destruction happens online. Vehicle physics also looks stupid and with all the other vids vehicle damage looks toned down aswell :/

Well judging by that video it doesn't appear they do. I'm ok with that though as long as the online is smooth and fun. I'll be damned if I don't get on the online this time. I haven't the first two because I bought them late and by the time I did it was only the hardcore online.

Kinspiracy said:
Day Never if they don't find a way to tone down the rubberbanding.

They addressed the issue of rubberbanding

Jamie Brayshaw | February 8th, 2011 at 11:49 am
Keeping that trend going, hopefully you’ll love Apocalypse *even more*! :)
The AI has been overhauled for MotorStorm Apocalypse so that it behaves more realistically and, importantly, so that it can’t do anything that the player can’t do.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/08/motorstorm-apocalypse-video-interview-2/#comment-517841

razielim

I say bring on the rubberbanding!

If I wanted to race by myself I'd do a time trial. I love the urgency/tension it creates. And I've never lost a race due to just one minor mistake. While it may be true you can't have a huge fuck up that's what keeps it exciting for me.

ElRenoRaven

razielim said:
I say bring on the rubberbanding!

If I wanted to race by myself I'd do a time trial. I love the urgency/tension it creates. And I've never lost a race due to just one minor mistake. While it may be true you can't have a huge fuck up that's what keeps it exciting for me.

I somewhat agree. I prefer if there is that that it's not an insane amount. If it's way behind ok. If it's right on my ass then no. I've seen times you're going full speed, the AI is right behind you and it's still gaining on you even when you have a faster vehicle. That's just too much there. If an AI gets within say a quarter a lap or less it should lose the rubberbanding because if you crash it can easily catch up or overtake you.

Anyone else playing the beta? I can't help but feel disappointed. They've totally changed the physics and handling model. It doesn't play like Motorstorm any more, not even a little bit. It's like Flatout Ultimate Carnage or Burnout or something. The handling of the bikes is all kinds of wrong and nothing like before.

Maybe it'll grow on me, but this isn't the same Motorstorm I knew and loved, any more.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'll actually throw my hat in and say I honestly don't mind rubber banding also.

I'm still not convinced on the game having a good selection of multiple routes for different vehicle classes though.

EDIT -

chalkitdown1 said:
Anyone else playing the beta? I can't help but feel disappointed. They've totally changed the physics and handling model. It doesn't play like Motorstorm any more, not even a little bit. It's like Flatout Ultimate Carnage or Burnout or something. The handling of the bikes is all kinds of wrong.

Maybe it'll grow on me, but this isn't the same Motorstorm I knew and loved, any more.

Damn :(, I knew it, your comparison to Flatout compares well with my own, which isn't good, looks like they've turned Motorstorm into a 'regular' arcade racer with some nice environmental effects.

Rattles

chalkitdown1[/QUOTE said:
Damn i don't even know what to say.. huge MS1 fan "loved the more realistic physics" PR was fun for what it was but this one just looks crap...

Wtf are devs thinking when they decide to change a good formula to something the fans never wanted in the first place.

Rattles

chalkitdown1 said:
I wouldn't say the game is crap, it's just......... not Motorstorm.
I probably wouldn't call it crap if it wasn't called motorstorm. But i can't help but feel disappointed with where their taking this franchise.

Having been playing it for about 2 hours straight now, I gotta say it's growing on me. The three tracks in the beta are fantastic. I just wish the handling was like it used to be. And the Superbikes are complete shit. I can't wait to try the dirtbikes in the full game to see if they (hopefully) control like they do in Pacific Rift.

Tip of the day; If you look behind you while racing in Pacific Rift, the AI can't cheat. They only cheat when you can't physically see them, so look behind you at every possible opportunity and you'll end up winning races quite comfortably.

chalkitdown1 said:
Anyone else playing the beta? I can't help but feel disappointed. They've totally changed the physics and handling model. It doesn't play like Motorstorm any more, not even a little bit. It's like Flatout Ultimate Carnage or Burnout or something. The handling of the bikes is all kinds of wrong and nothing like before.

I'm playing the full game, and I agree totally. I've played for two hours or so, and just rage quit because of the terrible, terrible handling and stupid bugs like catching on random geometry or not seeing where to go because the camera was caught under a falling building (!).

Some quick first impressions:
- The destruction going on around the track is wonderful. The devs were probably pissed off when Split Second kind of beat them to it, but it's still awesome to see shit get wrecked. HOWEVER:
- I can't see shit. A fine example takes place in the second track: A tower is collapsing right in front of me, kicking up a huge cloud of smoke which hinders me in seeing where exactly the tower fell, and I run straight into it.
- Some tracks are good, others terrible. One has you racing on the roofs of crumbling skyscrapers. I have no idea how many times I didn't know where to go or why I sometimes crashed into thin air and fell off the buildings because of the awful handling. One of the worst driving stages I've played.
- The camera is all over the place if you try to make a handbrake turn. The speed and handling as well.
- The animations between the races in the story mode are stupid. I didn't like them in Mirror's Edge either, but at least they kind of made sense in a highly stylished game like that. Here they look out of place and contains nothing of interest. They also look great, but animates like a six year old Newgrounds flash.
- Why is there an army going around killing people because they don't want to be evacuated from the collapsing city? "You must evacuate with us now, or you'll die in the earthquakes!" It makes no sense.

I might be overly negative here because I just ragequitted the game, but there are so many things they could've done to make it a more streamlined game. Like in, say, Burnout Paradise - when you're driving and scraping against a wall, they've specifically made the game so it doesn't have something sticking out that makes you crash. Here you'll never want to be anywhere near a wall - but you always are because the damn vehicle doesn't do what you want it to.

Oh well, off to play some more. Maybe it gets better.

I didn't like the skyscraper rooftop track at first either, but I love it now. I've played it about 20 times tonight. I'm kinda getting used to the handling too but I wish it wasn't so different. Superbikes are still shit.

Mesijs

Playing the full game as well for review purposes. I do really like it, but poster above me is right that some tracks are just too chaotic and unclear, that´s kind of a pity. This doesn't happen too much until now, luckily.

I do like the ´story´ elelement actually, it ties in well with the atmosphere even though you have to get used to it.

But the game looks amazing and controls well. I guess I can't say too much due to NDA but I'm positively impressed.

depward

Watched that beta video. I really just dislike the handling of when you hit a bump and you're in the air... and you then position your bike / car so it looks unnatural in the air and then once you hit the ground, off you go in that one direction. It just looks weird and seriously has always bugged me about every single Motorstorm game I've played.

FoxHimself said:
- The camera is all over the place if you try to make a handbrake turn.
Now THIS, I will agree with. It completely spazzes out when you go around a hairpin or when you hug a wall. It's really annoying.

Speaking of hairpins, there doesn't seem to be much use for the brakes any more. You can Ridge Racer the fuck out of tight corners, now. Turn into the bend, pedal to the metal, no problemo. Car just whips around it. Really odd.

Thrakier

chalkitdown1 said:

Hmm...I don't know, but Flatout for me always felt more "sim-like" compared to Motorstorm. Motorstorm is somewhere between Flatout and Burnout...quite arcadey but not "on rails" like Burnout. However, Burnout 1 and 2 felt quite different compared to the rest of the series.

chalkitdown1 said:
I didn't like the skyscraper rooftop track at first either, but I love it now. I've played it about 20 times tonight. I'm kinda getting used to the handling too but I wish it wasn't so different. Superbikes are still shit.

The worst part of the handling is the whole "the longer you hold the stick to the side the faster you turn" stuff. It's makes the vehicle feel like it weighs a thousand tons, even if it is a dirt bike or a big rig.

Thrakier

FoxHimself said:
The worst part of the handling is the whole "the longer you hold the stick to the side the faster you turn" stuff. It's makes the vehicle feel like it weighs a thousand tons, even if it is a dirt bike or a big rig.

Hm...wat? Is there a racing game you can compare this too? To which racing game would you compare Pacific Rift?

I love my Motorstorm, all this negativity in this thread makes me cry. :(

Thrakier said:
Hm...wat? Is there a racing game you can compare this too? To which racing game would you compare Pacific Rift?

I love my Motorstorm, all this negativity in this thread makes me cry. :(

I don't know really. It just feels weird. Say if you're riding a bike and then quickly jab the analog stick all the way to the side. You'll start turning, and then a moment later suddenly turn much faster. Combining it with the handbrake is very tricky and makes the camera go nuts.

Thrakier

FoxHimself said:
I don't know really. It just feels weird. Say if you're riding a bike and then quickly jab the analog stick all the way to the side. You'll start turning, and then a moment later suddenly turn much faster. Combining it with the handbrake is very tricky and makes the camera go nuts.

Hm. And this is true for every vehicle?

I would have preferred the PSP Motorstorm to never have been made.

That way, MS3, would have the awesome, off-road snow environments and not the tired, post-apocalyptic stuff.

RisingZan

Neo Member
Can anyone in the beta speak to the inclusion of semi-specific vehicle routes? Outside of car handling, this has always struck me as THE element that defines Motostorm gameplay.

RisingZan said:
Can anyone in the beta speak to the inclusion of semi-specific vehicle routes? Outside of car handling, this has always struck me as THE element that defines Motostorm gameplay.
This and the use of the environment to effect boost (mud, water, lava) and traction of different vehicles classes.

There's loads of different routes in the 3 tracks in the beta, but they don't seem to be vehicle specific. Any vehicle can take any route as far as I know.

Afrikan

Earl Cazone said:
this will probably bomb really hard

why do posters just drop in to say stupid shit like this in various threads?.... how about you make it interesting and bet your account or something huh?

as far as some of the complaints about the physics or what ever...from the beta video I saw, it just seems like they got rid of the "moon" physics so many people have been complaining about for years......but I'll say they have also seemed to make it more user friendly than before (like folks have complained for YEARS about how little rocks cause them to crash)..now it seems the tracks are alittle more forgiving with debris...which I wish wasn't the case.

also, if you are driving a bike, ATV, and now apparently a speed bike....it is always hard to control (with the camera acting funky) if you speed out and turn just alittle bit, it has been like that since the first Motorstorm. Now if the cars did this, then ok there is a problem.

also as far as the beta video, I would bet that it was just a option to turn off the natural destruction for that race...and to be honest, thank god they give you that option, instead of forcing you to race the same disasters everytime..

thuway

Earl Cazone said:
this will probably bomb really hard
I don't know how shit like this actually gets through the cracks. If this was said about a Metroid / Mario game, the world would be in peril. Sigh... never change GAF...

Thrakier

RyanardoDaVinci said:
I would have preferred the PSP Motorstorm to never have been made.

That way, MS3, would have the awesome, off-road snow environments and not the tired, post-apocalyptic stuff.

Uhm...snow is awesome and post apocalyptic is boring? Ok...

herod

thuway said:
I don't know how shit like this actually gets through the cracks. If this was said about a Metroid / Mario game, the world would be in peril. Sigh... never change GAF...
In this thread, MotorStorm deserves as much respect as Metroid or Mario.

Bebpo

Banned
Disappointed at these early impressions. Isn't this the first Motorstorm after the Wipeout team was merged into their team? I was expecting all kinds of magic :(

evolution

Im so ready for this. I'm not worried about the handling impressions. I don't trust others opinions when it comes to stuff like that, ill wait to play it myself. I'm more interested in how the online is shaping up to be honest.

Demo out today. The Mainline level is so much better than the 'static' version in the beta. So much shit going on. Shame it's only one stage, it's a really short demo.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Are trains still on schedule for a convenient crash even though every natural disaster has hit the area?
do people really go racing in volcanos? if you're looking for realism in a motorstorm title at this point, i can only presume you didn't like the first two.

Top Bottom