• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NA Nintendo stuff (Pikachu N3DS XL, Selects games, MS Superstars Mar 24rd)

That feeling when you think oh I'll get that Kilby game for $20 but then you remember that you bought it at launch and never played it.

Fireblend

Banned
Also, if anyone's sleeping on Kirby Triple Deluxe... I know Kirby games usually don't make much news (which is unfair because the reason they don't is they're incredibly consistent and usually great) but this one's among the best platformers of the generation. Grab a copy.

Robobot is great too. We all need more Kirby in our lives.

BowieZ

Banned
pkWDpGq.png
GWGXQP6.png

Nice to have a XL with the proper SNES buttons.
Still cannot fathom why they choose to place the art upside down.

18-Volt

I give that Pikachu 3DS 17 minutes. Or even less.

in teams or free-for-all in local multiplayer matches

But why? Oh, I should answer my own question: Japan really loves local handheld multiplayer.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mario Sports Superstars: The action-packed game launches on March 24 and offers five full-featured sports like Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Baseball and, for the first time in a Mario sports game, Horse Racing. Each sport stars Mario and his friends (and enemies!) from the Mushroom Kingdom and can be played in local or online multiplayer modes. (Players must own the game and a Nintendo 3DS system to compete in multiplayer mode.)

And I'm out. No thanks, Nintendo. My kids and I can play Mario Party, Zelda Triforce Heroes, and many others with single-card play. Not going back to this.

lenovox1

I know their reasoning for putting Mario Sports Mix on 3DS with the install base and all, but it really would have been a perfect early life cycle concept game for the Switch that could have made full use of the consoles features between the motion controls, HD Rumble, touch screen, and IR sensor. Seems like a missed opportunity.

You act like it will never get a Mario sports game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Because it looks good while the 3DS is closed, which is the only time a player will actually look at the back of the system anyway?

But if you use the official charging cradle it'll be upside down, which is why n3DS plates are designed with the illustration the other way round.

Regiruler

With Nintendo charging for online on the Switch they can't keep releasing games like Tank Troopers with just local multiplayer. Especially when the team's last game did have online.

I'm more worried that the game signifies that they're cutting support for 3DS and Wii U online earlier than expected.

This is the first time we heard about the Mario amiibo cards isn't it? That's kind of a big thing, we should have gotten like an amiibo direct talking about the new figures. I'd you weren't on a gaming site you'd never know about the other Zelda ones that got revealed...

Vitacat

Still love my 3DS's. Glad they will still be supported for a while. Sure, 3DS is crappy technology these days, and the screens are painfully low resolution etc., but it's also a unique system that feels very different from consoles.

I will probably buy a Switch, but I do not see it as a replacement for 3DS at all. My tiny New 3DS (dual IPS) with faceplates is beautiful and easy to take along anywhere. The Switch is relatively huge, even compared to a 3DS XL, and is a console in terms of experience it offers. Much closer to Vita (albeit not as portable as Vita) than 3DS.

NoKisum

Is this going to be the standard response for 3DS games being released from here on out? I keep seeing it over and over.

Yeah it's confusing. Everyone wants assurance that Nintendo won't just up and stop supporting the 3DS, and in the same breath want those 3DS exclusives only on Switch.

Bluth54

Is this going to be the standard response for 3DS games being released from here on out? I keep seeing it over and over.

The Switch lineup is so starved for games it seems like putting these 3DS games out on Switch at the same time with improved visuals would be a good move.

I really really wanted Mario Sports to also come to Switch. Looks like it's not. =(
It's still not confirmed though and I think it can come.

I feel like something is wrong with Nintendos schedule. They're releasing BotW on March 3 and then they decided to wait until April 28 to release Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?? That's such a big gap when they could've launched the Switch late March to close the gap.

I think some kind of Nintendo title is coming between March 3 and April 28 because all that's there right now are small games and indie games.

These region specific Nintendo selects almost feel designed to frustrate.

Good on America getting Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros at last (Europe has had it since June 2016) but why no Star Fox 64? I guess America will have Kirby: Triple Deluxe over Europe and Australia though. But maybe Star Fox still sells enough at $40 while sales were flatlined in Europe or something...I can see Kirby not selling due to a newer game being out.

This is the first time we heard about the Mario amiibo cards isn't it? That's kind of a big thing, we should have gotten like an amiibo direct talking about the new figures. I'd you weren't on a gaming site you'd never know about the other Zelda ones that got revealed...
Given how well received amiibo sections of directs are I don't think that would be great. Not to mention amiibo cards being a missed opportunity (instead of being 'counts as' figure they are just something else to collect).

Plus an amiibo direct with no news of Cloud, Corin and Bayonetta? (still can't believe Box Boy, Alm and Celica are getting figures before those)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

People hated on cross generation games during the early PS4/Xbone days, because they felt it held them back, and yet want Switch games to be cross generation with the 3DS?

How very strange.

KaneU

It's weird that they are adding only 2 new games to the Selects line. I hope NOE announces at least 5 new games, as they usually do.

Trevelyan

Banned

I feel like something is wrong with Nintendos schedule. They're releasing BotW on March 3 and then they decided to wait until April 28 to release Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?? That's such a big gap when they could've launched the Switch late March to close the gap.

I think some kind of Nintendo title is coming between March 3 and April 28 because all that's there right now are small games and indie games.

Yeah, I feel I also recall some leak that said it was heading it's way to the Switch as well. I truly hope it does, as Mario sports games have always been synonymous with spring and summer for here. It's like comfort food.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Well, with 1,2 Switch and Snipperclips or whatever is called, N will release 4 games within 2 months (considering Mario Kart in April)

Than there will be Arms in Spring,
Splatoon in summer,
FE Warriors (that seems co-developed by Intelligent System, in some form) in Autumn,
Mario Odissey in Holiday
Xenoblade 2 in Holiday

I think that the first party/second party lineup has been scheduled pretty well (if nothing will be delayed, without being substituted by something else)

Mr Swine

Banned
I've got a non sexual feeling that 3DS is going to have a life very similar to the original gameboy - i.e. it will be around for at least three more years...

I honestly don't see that, I see it doing okay this year and then into the slaughter house since this will compete with Switch

Trevelyan

Banned
Well, with 1,2 Switch and Snipperclips or whatever is called, N will release 4 games within 2 months (considering Mario Kart in April)

Splatoon in summer,
FE Warriors (that seems co-developed by Intelligent System, in some form) in Autumn,
Mario Odissey in Holiday
Xenoblade 2 in Holiday

I think that the first party/second party lineup has been scheduled pretty well (if nothing will be delayed, without being substituted by something else)

I'm going to say XB2 will be pushed to Spring for US, and we will get Pikmin 4 and Retro's game this year still to round out the back end with Mario, FE Warriors and Pokemon Stars.

maxcriden

Splatoon in summer,
Mario Odissey in Holiday
Xenoblade 2 in Holiday

I agree with you, but I think more game(s) must be coming this year, whether or not XC2 hits. I don't believe LKD's leak list has been debunked yet, and both she and Eurogamer heard Pikmin for this year. So I think that is probably coming. Then there are rumored titles for this year like Rabbids RPG which would be semi-first party and Pokémon Stars. Regardless of whether these rumors pan out, Nintendo has at every recent E3 announced one or more games to be released the same year, so I expect they will do the same here; plus, most Nintendo Directs include at least one announcement of a game to be released immediately or within six months so there's that as well. How many of these would be eShop-only games like Pushmo I'm not sure, but I expect at least one more retail first party game for this year beyond the announced list of games.

I'm going to say XB2 will be pushed to Spring for US, and we will get Pikmin 4 and Retro's game this year still to round out the back end with Mario, FE Warriors and Pokemon Stars.

FWIW, just in case you're interested, Pikmin per LKD's leak was rumored to be a reboot or remake of the first game. I would be amazed if we saw all three of Pikmin, Retro and Pokémon this year. Maybe they will want to hit that hard in time for the holidays, though.

Everyone is often so quick to write the 3DS off as finished, and then Nintendo goes an announces more reason to buy one.

It makes sense. Switch is designed a home console that's portable, though not exactly ideal as a dedicated handheld.

They also have some RPG in the works (Oasis something? name escapes me) and Dragon Quest XI is being made for it as well.

Long live the 3D king!

bman94

That Mario SuperStars cover is GOAT.

So aggregating that they are still adding Nintedo Select games and Star Fox 64 3D still isn't one if them.

Also sucks that the Pikachu 3DS XL is thr only one with SNES styled buttons. I really want the 3DS with those style buttons but that Pikachu 3DS is definitely not my style.

Top Bottom