• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (Wii) Famitsu scan

ZeoVGM

Banned
Maxrpg said:
Sonic the Hedgehog all over again :lol :lol

When will SEGA learn that putting realistic people in their video games does not equal success?? I assume there'll be some sort of love story somewhere.

I'm amazed that people say things like this without knowing anything.

Capoeira said:
Looking better from the last time I saw it, at least in a technical sense. It still looks very... gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just very... gay looking.

You're an idiot.

How ****ing old are you?

meppi

I'm starting to understand why Yuji Naka didn't want to do a sequel for all these years.

You're doomed if you try, you a bit less doomed if you don't...

FightyF

Banned
Maxrpg said:

When will SEGA learn that putting realistic people in their video games does not equal success?? I assume there'll be some sort of love story somewhere.

:|

I don't care if it's low poly or whatever, I just hope it has a clean look with some decent texture filtering and some AA.

That's all I want.

Every Wii game should be rendered at 800 by 600 and supersampled to TV res!

ethelred

It does seem to look quite a bit improved in these shots... here's hoping, anyway. It's not that the visuals themselves are that important, it's just that nothing about this game (from the visuals to the controls to the music to the framerate) should be sloppy or below par; Iizuka's team needs to be more on the ball than they've been in years to create a sequel worthy of the original.

StevieP

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
:|

I don't care if it's low poly or whatever, I just hope it has a clean look with some decent texture filtering and some AA.

That's all I want.

Every Wii game should be rendered at 800 by 600 and supersampled to TV res!

You don't get AA in the incredibly vast majority of "HD console" games (despite the bullshots), you think they're going to put AA on the Wii? :lol

Acosta

Looking good so far, the story suits good wirh Nights and the graphics are looking "dreamy". here is hope they nail the controls, given is the most important issue.

FightyF

Banned
StevieP said:
You don't get AA in the incredibly vast majority of "HD console" games (despite the bullshots), you think they're going to put AA on the Wii? :lol

As I mention in my posts, poly count shouldn't matter. HD games don't only have to deal with an incredibly high resolution to begin with, but they are also scrutinized for their poly detail because the flaws are easier to notice in HD.

On the Wii, that isn't a concern. So a game can be lower poly, and people don't mind. Wii Sports is the most popular title and it looks really simple. But looks great because it has a nice clean look. I've seen it stretched on an HDTV, so I don't know if it has AA or not, but it isn't an ugly game at all.

Secondly, I mentioned how the Wii should do it. What other console had games that were supersampled for AA?

That's right, the Dreamcast. It's all up to the developer, really. If the DC had enough fillrate...

I think for the Wii, a focus on clean looking games with a good artstyle is a better approach that trying to milk the Wii for all the polygons it's worth.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
neo2046 said:
1 page only, waiting for the other page :D

neo.gif

Well done fellah! This stuff looks excellent. Definitely interested in seeing how this turns out, despite not playing the original but liking the look of that one too.

Nakasan

Oh wow. NiGHTS' CG model is so spot on it actually cant be described.

The new girl looks right in line with NiGHTS universe stuff, but it does make me sad that Claris wont be making a return.

Good to see the rings back and a baddie. Looking forward to the second page!

I like people trolling by the way, it at least makes me know whose opinions I should actually read and whose to pass over.

NiGHTS forever baby.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Looks better. Hope there are some positive impressions from E3.

Sho Nuff

Banned
WOW WHAT HAPPENED

THE GRAPHICS GOT SHRUNK DOWN INTO A 2 INCH PICTURE AND GOT SCANNED BY SOMEONE AND NOW THE GAME LOOKS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

Amir0x

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
WOW WHAT HAPPENED

THE GRAPHICS GOT SHRUNK DOWN INTO A 2 INCH PICTURE AND GOT SCANNED BY SOMEONE AND NOW THE GAME LOOKS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

The CG though... nice stuff.

aoi tsuki

Amir0x said:
The CG though... nice stuff.
i prefer the younger look of Clairis and Elliot, personally. Not a dealbreaker though.

And to those who didn't know, the original had a widescreen option as well.

Also, i ran across this page much too easily just now while looking for the character select music.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I hope the CG has the same nailbiting dramatic impact as that of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG on Xbox 360 and PS3

Maybe NiGHTS will start mackin on the little kids

Amir0x

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
I hope the CG has the same nailbiting dramatic impact as that of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG on Xbox 360 and PS3

Yeah Sonic the Hedgehog really put up an impossibly high mark of excellence in the CG story scene, that said I think NiGHTS can do a pretty job there.

I mean the material of a creepy dreamy flying jester is pretty vast.

Nakasan

Sho Nuff said:

...yerr probably...

Anyway, the CG is good, the world which is seen seems nicely stylised. I remain optimistic!

That 2nd page does NOT seem to be coming up in this topic... anyone know where else might have it?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Story about a girl playing a violin who becomes nervous and can't play.. Nights helps to kill her nightmares that are causing this fear

Likewise for the boy counterpart but hes playing soccer.

Boss was a big jester ball you had to toss it up a tower but it could hit you and knock time off your total time if you didnt catch it correctly.. It was really cool looking.. If you did get hit you would also stun yourself and the ball could fall all the way down.
This is the sort of thing I'd like to hear more of: actual gameplay impressions. NiGHTS' art direction is cool and all, I know, but it's not the reason I still play the Saturn game from time to time. These screens don't say a whole lot about the game's structure; there's not even a HUD or anything. "More blue spheres and rings plz" indeed. I'm hoping for the ability to explore on foot sans egg timer and for Reala to play a bigger role as the key adversary.

omg rite said:
I'm amazed that people say things like this without knowing anything.
I'm not.

meppi

Capoeira said:
Old enough to make an astute observation and use words like astute.

Using words like astute to make yourself look smarter than you really are is just so... gay. :p

Maxrpg said:

Idiot. :lol

Rlan

Looking back, the designs of Claris and Elliot were pretty weird. Their style wasn't like.. anything I can really remember. Particularly the big eyes and rounded chins.

claris.jpg

Nintaiyo

The CG looks pretty good, but the ingame shots look pretty much the same. The environments look good, but he character models need work, particularly NiGHTS him/herself.

dock

I really like Helen Cartwright, she's got a great costume design and works fine for the NiGHTS universe. I love the shoes and jacket in particular.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sho Nuff said:
WOW WHAT HAPPENED

Beat me to it. Sans all the caps and shit. Direct feed pictures please. =(

thefro

JDSN said:
Cool, it doesnt look like a first gen Dreamcast title anymore.

I hope the music is great.

Naofumi Hataya who was the lead composer for the original is doing the music, so I think we're in good hands.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sho Nuff said:
WOW WHAT HAPPENED

:lol

You can't judge graphics based on these screens. Although it looks like the bloom lighting has been turned up a notch.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Like ethelred said this game needs to be 100% on point, to be a worthy follow-up to the original. I've got extremely high expectations for this game, so I'm hoping for the best.

Jammy

Banned
:lol at the people talking shit about this game without knowing anything about the first nor who is making this one.

Squeak

The game still looks strangely empty and soulless compared to the original, but then again we haven't seen gameplay footage.
I don't see the rationale behind the redesign of Nights with the weird eyelashes and the Spanish pimp bullfighter decoration on his clothes. The org. design was much cleaner and nicer looking.
sevenchaos said:
Maybe I'm missing your point but 3D Sonic was shit from the beginning.
Sonic Xtreme looks like it could have been really really good. Solving the issue of a high speed racing platformer with manual camera, with the ingenious use of fish eye lens rendering and spherical levels (looks like SMG might have taken a few cues from that idea).

Top Bottom