• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Selects Announced for US for release on March 11 (3DS/Wii/Wii U)

JoeM86

Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong Games Join Line of $19.99 Nintendo Selects

REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 29, 2016 – Starting on March 11, some of the most popular and critically acclaimed Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games become a part of the Nintendo Selects program and will be available at a suggested retail price of only $19.99 each. Wii U games like Super Mario 3D World, an imaginative four-player adventure with Mario and friends that received numerous Game of the Year awards and nominations when it first launched in 2013, join Nintendo 3DS standouts such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, one of the most critically acclaimed Nintendo 3DS games of all time.

“Whether you just picked up a new Wii U or Nintendo 3DS system over the holiday season or want to expand your ever-growing game collection, Nintendo Selects are a great, affordable option,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. “Not only are these games easier than ever to enjoy, but they also represent some of our highest-quality offerings in recent memory.”

Other Wii U games joining the Nintendo Selects family are Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3 and NES Remix Pack. Fun Nintendo 3DS games Yoshi’s New Island, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Mario Party: Island Tour can also be purchased at the new low suggested retail price of $19.99 each on March 11. Additionally, a group of classics from the Wii console that can be played on Wii U will be available at the reduced Nintendo Selects price. This includes Super Mario Galaxy 2, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario All-Stars.

That's a lot of quality games.

Rundown from the confusingly worded PR

Wii U
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
NES Remix Pack

3DS
Yoshi’s New Island
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Mario Party: Island Tour
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Super Mario All-Stars.

VegiHam

Region in the thread title? You done good OP, be proud!

Hoping Europe gets our second wave of 3DS selects/first wave of Wii U ones soon.

Azuardo

Oh man, hope this is the same for Europe soon.

3D World is ridiculous prices over here, so it's still one I haven't picked up. Luckily got DKC for somewhat cheaper than normal, but both those games go for high prices. If 3D World hits Selects range here, I'm right on it at last.

Warning: Don't buy Yoshi's New Island. Unless you suffer from Insomnia and trying to induce sleep. Seriously, it's that boring.

kulapik

Oh man, hope this is the same for Europe soon.

3D World is ridiculous prices over here, so it's still one I haven't picked up. Luckily got DKC for somewhat cheaper than normal, but both those games go for high prices. If 3D World hits Selects range here, I'm right on it at last.

It's already on Europe like that, at least on 3DS.

Yukinari

Still mad about no Star Fox 64 3D for the US considering this would be the perfect time with Zero coming out.

And yes everyone should buy Pikmin 3 and Tropical Freeze while ignoring all the 3DS titles except Ocarina.

maxcriden

Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong Games Join Line of $19.99 Nintendo Selects

That's a lot of quality games.

Rundown from the confusingly worded PR

3DS
Yoshi’s New Island
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Mario Party: Island Tour

Sorry, bit confused--

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is mentioned in the PR but not in the rundown. Is it not discounted?

If it is, wahoo. I've been looking to re-buy it digitally at a discount....

Still mad about no Star Fox 64 3D for the US considering this would be the perfect time with Zero coming out.

And yes everyone should buy Pikmin 3 and Tropical Freeze while ignoring all the 3DS titles except Ocarina.

@_@ I mean...I know opinions vary on YNI but DKCR 3D is a terrific port. Granted the 30 fps makes time trials insanely difficult but otherwise it's a stupendous port. You get used to the 30 fps pretty quickly, there's new content, and no shake-to-roll mechanics.

TheMoon

Sorry, bit confused--

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is mentioned in the PR but not in the rundown. Is it not discounted?

If it is, wahoo. I've been looking to re-buy it digitally at a discount....

Of course it's included :)

Joe just forgot.

Hopefully EU prices will also be adjusted.
Was waiting for a Pikmin 3 and NES Remix price drop.

And why is Lego City Undercover not on that list? That game is really ridiculously overpriced at the moment. Even on the second hand market it's an expensive game.

Oh, and obligatory recommendation for 3D World, that's easily my most played Nintendo game in the last years. It's a steal for that price.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Almost jumped on Pikmin 3 at full price when it was becoming a rare find.

Now I can get one for $16 with the GCU discount. Serendipitous.

edit: Wait, OoT 3D is part of this, too? Ditto for that.

maxcriden

Of course it's included :)

Joe just forgot.

tumblr_lu9lsxBGuG1qcscw9.gif

Thanks!! OOT has long been hard to find at a discount. I got a cart for around that in value IIRC but someone (I think on GAF?) wanted one at cost-ish so I sold it without playing more than a few mins of it. Then I waited patiently for an eShop sale b/c I'd prefer to have it digitally but one never came. Now, with Nintendo surely reducing the eShop price to match, my patience will pay off.

NotLiquid

People need to fucking buy Tropical Freeze now. Best platformer on the system, if not one of the best Nintendo's put out in the last decade.

Ridley327

Hopefully EU prices will also be adjusted.
Was waiting for a Pikmin 3 and NES Remix price drop.

And why is Lego City Undercover not on that list? That game is really ridiculously overpriced at the moment. Even on the second hand market it's an expensive game.

I suspect that LCU is probably never going to hit NS due to the licensing involved. A strange thing to consider, given how quickly other LEGO games hit the bargain bins, but the way this whole game was set up was way out of the norm.

I wonder what they have in store for the second wave that the marketing leak said was to launch closer to the fall.

maxcriden

People need to fucking buy Tropical Freeze now. Best platformer on the system, if not one of the best Nintendo's put out in the last decade.

Mind-boggling to think that for $60 MSRP you can get three of the best games of the gen, and probably of all time.

ramparter

Banned
Please NOE. Those are some really good games for a crazy price considering it's Nintendo. Even on Christmas sale, they weren't that low.

I suspect that LCU is probably never going to hit NS due to the licensing involved. A strange thing to consider, given how quickly other LEGO games hit the bargain bins, but the way this whole game was set up was way out of the norm.

Jup, most Lego games are ridiculously cheap on Steam after a year, LCU on the other hand is in Belgium and most EU webstores (amazon etc), still a 45+ euro game. Mostly 60 euro even...
It's a pity because I like the Lego games and this one got good reviews (apart from the really long load times apparently).

TheJoRu

3D World, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3 and Galaxy 2 are must-haves. Especially the last three. Get them now.

Seriously. Get them now. Now.

EDIT: Ok, they release on March 11, so you can wait until then. But not a second longer.

Red Hood

Banned
The real news is that Pikmin 3 got reprinted. I bought it a few months ago for 30$ in the expectation that it wouldn't get reprinted, and now I get burned, lol. Still haven't played it. And great prices for DKCTF and SM3DW.

Ridley327

Oh good, they did take out the NWC logo on AC:CF's art. That would have been a stupid thing to leave in with the whole service being dead.

Top Bottom