• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Obsidian countdown teaser [Update 2: Kickstarter? One more day!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
I know I'm probably in the minority here but I'm really hoping it's not any fantasy/medieval RPG, despite that image hinting otherwise. I am so incredibly burnt out on those.

Corto

What's The Black Hound?

Can we get a rundown on all potential projects that may be tied with Obsidian employees?

Planescape
Icewind Dale
Wheel of Time
Dungeon Siege

All of these were hinted/mentioned by Obsidian folk in a way or another, in the last years, months.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
yeah, this going up on Obsidian's own site is unusual, don't think any publisher is attached, at least not at the moment. Kickstarter makes a lot more sense here.

That's one thing that has thrown me off.

However, the only other possibility I can see is that, if it is Dungeon Siege 4, Square Enix might feel it's better to market it directly to Obsidian's fanbase than put up a teaser site of their own given how their teaser sites tend to end.

Radogol

Wouldn't he need the D&D and Baldur's gate license to do that game? I thought Atari had it.

Baldur's Gate, not at all. It was a Baldur's Gate game in name only.

Forgotten Realms license? Maybe, although there's nothing inherently FR about the concept.

What's The Black Hound?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

It was such a personal project for Sawyer, he decided to make it as a Neverwinter Nights 2 mod after the game was canceled. He ran a development blog but it seems to be gone now.

Pooya

That's one thing that has thrown me off.

However, the only other possibility I can see is that, if it is Dungeon Siege 4, Square Enix might feel it's better to market it directly to Obsidian's fanbase than put up a teaser site of their own given how their teaser sites tend to end.

Don't think Obsidian's fans would be interested in a Dungeon Siege 4 though :p

It would be interesting to see Overhaul develop an official BG3 while Obsidian go ahead with a Black Hound project. It would probably redefine the idiom "spiritual sequel".

I can't help but feel rope kid is trolling us hard and we'll end up somewhat disappointed.

Vamphuntr

Nope, Wizards of the Coast reclaimed the rights from Atari last year. D&D is a free agent now.

I see, thanks for the heads up. I just googled that up and apparently they had a legal dispute with Hasbro and Wizard of the Coast about the rights.

The Black Hound rights should be returned to Wizard then? Sega had bought them from Interplay then Atari had bought them from them but now all of the D&D rights are back in Hasbro/Wizards' hands?

Baldur's Gate, not at all. It was a Baldur's Gate game in name only.

Forgotten Realms license? Maybe, although there's nothing inherently FR about the concept.

I guess it could be smart to drop the BG from the title but at the same time you also lose visibility. I do wonder how much are we talking to get a license from Wizards to do a D&D game. I guess they could do like Bioware and build their own universe to save money.

DocSeuss

Is it wrong that I want Obsidian and China Mieville to collborate on a game?

@people who showed me what The Black Dog is, cool, thanks.

Fjordson

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I'm really hoping it's not any fantasy/medieval RPG, despite that image hinting otherwise. I am so incredibly burnt out on those.
I'm kinda with you. I've always loved fantasy, but I guess after Skyrim and Witcher 2 back to back I'm a little burnt out.

Sothpaw

DS3 was trash and the Wheel of Time series is trash.

This is obviously a teaser for a PC exclusive NWN3 built in the Infinity Engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
yeah, this going up on Obsidian's own site is unusual, don't think any publisher is attached, at least not at the moment. Kickstarter makes a lot more sense here.

I thought about this a bit more for other examples, and it occurred to me that Insomniac currently has a teaser for their EA published game.

Persona86

Banned
It doesn't look like Fallout, but I wish it was. Fallout has a LOT of room for improvement, which is great because they are fun games with great potential.

One of the problems with Fallout games is the loot, there is almost nothing interesting (which makes sense since it's basically the remains of what once was)

I wish there was a elder scrolls/fallout type game in a modern style world. Then there would surely be loot worth stealing ( because stealing is fun when it's something you want ;))
Just imagine an RPG like these games in a modern world era. Why isn't there any like this?

Derrick01

Banned
I'm kinda with you. I've always loved fantasy, but I guess after Skyrim and Witcher 2 back to back I'm a little burnt out.

Yeah I know the WRPG genre is kind of synonymous with that setting but I wish they would expand some. Alpha Protocol was great, let's have another modern day realistic RPG. It doesn't have to be a spy/stealth RPG but another one in a unique IP (since AP cannot be used unless Sega wants it to) would be welcome. Or hell do a brand new sci fi RPG. I just cannot take much more of these games with un-pronounceable regions or hard to remember lore with elves and dwarves. I could not even begin to care about Lord blalkejlwejv killing the demon god aljewoiufawsjv in avlkjdsfv 163.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I just cannot take much more of these games with un-pronounceable regions or hard to remember lore with elves and dwarves. I could not even begin to care about Lord blalkejlwejv killing the demon god aljewoiufawsjv in avlkjdsfv 163.

What if we do that, but to help differentiate it, have a WoW-esque cartoony artstyle. *trollface.gif*

Persona86

Banned

Nah I'm with you. See my above post.

Now that I rememeber, the creators of The witcher is making a futuristic RPG, should be great!

Derrick01

Banned
What if we do that, but to help differentiate it, have a WoW-esque cartoony artstyle. *trollface.gif*

Ironically WoW is one of the only games of that type that I was able to memorize most of the lore that came before the game. Dunno what made that such a special case for me.

Fjordson

I can still enjoy WoW because it's moved way past the serious fantasy thing. There's a bunch of other genres mashed in ther and it can be pretty light hearted (I know that turns a lot of people off, but I'm okay with it).

Just straight up fantasy is a little dull for me at the moment. I'm sure that'll change in time, just a weird time right now where I've played a lot of fantasy RPG's.

I thought about this a bit more for other examples, and it occurred to me that Insomniac currently has a teaser for their EA published game.

There was that Team Bondi thing a week or so ago aswelll but I can't seem to find it now so no idea if publisher was mentioned

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'd be interested in a fantasy RPG if they did anything at all interesting with the setting. So that's what I'm hoping for

ArjanN

I can still enjoy WoW because it's moved way past the serious fantasy thing. There's a bunch of other genres mashed in ther and it can be pretty light hearted (I know that turns a lot of people off, but I'm okay with it).

Just straight up fantasy is a little dull for me at the moment. I'm sure that'll change in time, just a weird time right now where I've played a lot of fantasy RPG's.

I think that's more due to fatigue from there being a million generic shitty fantasy stories. If the actual story/characters etc. are good the setting is largely irrelevant IMO.

Perkel

Banned
Oh my.

Dungeon Siege 4. I personaly don't like at all DS series (didn't play DS3) hope it's something different than DS4

no. kate beckinsale avatar or gtfo.

Fjordson

I think that's more due to fatigue from there being a million generic shitty fantasy stories. If the actual story/characters etc. are good the setting is largely irrelevant IMO.
Yeah, that's true. Witcher 2 is an example of that I guess. I was sort of feeling this before I even started it, but still loved the game and found the setting to be pretty interesting.

no. kate beckinsale avatar or gtfo.
Haha, but..but...I'm on a Star Trek binge lately! KB will return at some point, Troi can't dethrone her for good.

Decado

I don't care what it is, I still want it!

I would actually be cool with Dungeon Siege 4. DS3 was very solid, if unambitious, and I vaguely recall some interview or post-mortem where they talked about a bunch of ideas they wanted to explore if they did a fourth one, and they seemed pretty cool.

Was one of them a good camera?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
am I the only person thinking "licensed lotr game"?
After WB cancelled a licensed LOTR game after two years of development and probably about $10-15 million dollars spent on production? I dunno.

Haha, but..but...I'm on a Star Trek binge lately! KB will return at some point, Troi can't dethrone her for good.

that's okay then, apart from anything else it makes you seem like a much more calm and sensible version of david jaffe.

After WB cancelled a licensed LOTR game after two years of development and probably about $10-15 million dollars spent on production? I dunno.

it was mostly the art style and the mentions of fellowship in the code which made me think lotr. that being said, considering that nearly every fantasy setting apes middle-earth and the word fellowship has been around a long time it's probably a big stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom