• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Overwatch Animated Short: "Rise and Shine"

KLoWn

The Bastion cinematic remains their best work by far, one of the biggest reasons being that no one is fuckin talking.

KarmaCow

Did they anything about when that skin is going to be in the game? Because they must have made an in-game version of it.

Cool short. A-mei-zing, even. I'm always looking forward to the next one.

The thing that's continually impressed me with these shorts is how Blizzard manages to pack a nice little feel arc in each of them (except maybe the Soldier one), which is doubly impressive considering their runtime. Also love how they build the lore with each one.

Good job, Blizz.

Yukinari

Still dont think Blizz holds a candle to Valve in terms of making memorable comedy gold that people will quote for years to come.

Like the Junkrat short that promotes the new map is the closest they got to replicating one of the "Meet The" videos in quality. They have all these amazing characters in OW and yet they do the most boring shit with them like in the Hanzo+Genji short.

Ballsy to make such a long short with so much talking. That said, effort doesn't make characters talking exposition to themselves good form, but they made the most of it.

I-hate-u

D.Va doesn't.

"The destruction caused by the omnics here... It reminds me of home."

I hope Zarya is next

zarya_c__omnic_wars_by_mutterwerks-dabda1j.jpg

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

duckroll

Damn Blizzard CG is still top notch. I know losers have a knee jerk reaction to Bolt when they see Mei, but I think it was really cute to show how she got Tangled up in this situation. Was really neat to see her create those Frozen platforms with her ice gun too. Haters should just Let It Go.

Akainu

*opening seconds hot take* Is it just me or does she seem way too chil...coo...ok with the idea of starving to death.

kurahador

Love the short, but at this point I'd rather see how the characters interact with each other. I mean their best animated shorts all featured more than 1 character.

Yukinari

Not saying it doesn't exist, but remind me about one, or two.

"It costs 200,000 dollars to fire this weapon, for 12 seconds"

"This, is a bucket"
"Dear god"
"Theres more"
"NO"

"Kill me"
"Later"

Thats just a small sample of quotable stuff i still see to this day among TF2 players old and new. And thats from the shorts, not even mentioning the comics or in-game stuff.

OW tries to make its characters fun too with the unique voicelines in-game but the outside media never reflects that.

That was a really big deal made about her companion running out of batteries on an extremely temporary basis that in no way caused lasting harm. Like man, that should have been the first thing she thought of. The solar panel then being able to charge the thing kinda throws the entire energy crisis presented in the short into question as well. She could have left the whole time, but I guess she had to gather up the courage to leave and that was the point of the whole tower thing, rather than calling for help as mentioned earlier?

Felt kinda sloppily planned and written honestly. At least the melodrama was actually called for when she found out her compatriots were dead, and Mei being a real cutey as always helps to salvage things.

I always forget these don't use the in-game models, so it caught me off-guard at first. I really enjoyed it. Pleasantly surprised that Mei got the next short.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I love playing as Mei and this was amazing, eat shit haters.

Top Bottom