• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Phantom Hourglass pics! (Gets improving!)

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
nicks are so impersonal said:
sea FTL

can't be worse than Wind Waker, though

C'mon, we don't know yet how the sea plays this time. It will be no long sessions on the sea because it's a portable game, and Nintendo knows that stuff.

I am more worried in the action part of the game. I don't like Diablo like action. I hipe it's fun enough!

YourMaster

I really don't like how this looks. I prefer the 2D zelda's and these screens make it look like this game has the gameplay of the other 3d zelda's. Still great, just not as great as I would've liked.

And Link looks like a child here, don't like that either, small boys don't fight evil.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eh, the characters look OK, but the environments are beyond bad. It looks incredibly generic and boring. As was the case with the first media, the dungeons seem to have no flair. Should have been 2D.

tanasten

YourMaster said:
And Link looks like a child here, don't like that either, small boys don't fight evil.

:lol

C'mon. Blame people who say that 2D art looked better in Minish Cap. Not true at all!

The game isn't finished yet. Since they had and Art team dedicated to the game, it's easy to see the improvements. As poor the geometry is, the game will look fantastic in the game.

Edit: Checked Minish Cap screens again ->
the-legend-of-zelda-the-minish-cap-20050110100026535.jpg
ztmcga051.jpg

3168_05.jpg
ztmcga042.jpg

Well, the art team has a long job to do :lol :lol :lol :lol

teiresias

I haven't played a Zelda game pretty much since LttP because I never really got into the 3D games in the series, I played up through like the Water Palace in OoT and just lost interest.

How's Minish Cap? I wouldn't mind playing some of the handheld games, including Phantom, though Shane's impressions of the multiplayer on 1upYours a while back weren't really making me clamour to play that aspect of the game.

I have faith in the touch screen controls; Nintendo have never forced them on to a game that didn't need it.

I just hope the dungeons are good.

tanasten

teiresias said:
I haven't played a Zelda game pretty much since LttP because I never really got into the 3D games in the series, I played up through like the Water Palace in OoT and just lost interest.

How's Minish Cap? I wouldn't mind playing some of the handheld games, including Phantom, though Shane's impressions of the multiplayer on 1upYours a while back weren't really making me clamour to play that aspect of the game.

I really didn't enjoyed Minish Cap. I don't like none of the Capcom's Zelda to be true.

Minish is a OK, but not a marvellous game.

Hunahan

Banned
Graphics look fine, but I was never really worried about the graphics.

Let's see how it plays, because the all-touch-screen control the last time around really didn't have me convinced...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It's weird...the characters look great, but against the blurry, low-detail backgrounds it's almost like they were pasted into the images.

Thermite

looks good, I'm still a little skeptical on how well it'll play out using just the touchscreen though.

is this still slated for an 07 release?

I hate this pitiful ****ing excuse for a Zelda game. I'm sick of Nintendo throwing in gimmicks for their own games all the time. Zelda DS had SO much potential and Nintendo just wasted it on gimmicks.

mr_nexus

Banned
I love the look of everything in this game except the dungeons. They look so boring and why are the walls only 4 feet high? The ocean looks really nice in this game. I will buy it anyway, gots to get my Zelda fix.

Chris Michael said:
I hate this pitiful ****ing excuse for a Zelda game. I'm sick of Nintendo throwing in gimmicks for their own games all the time. Zelda DS had SO much potential and Nintendo just wasted it on gimmicks.

How can you tell all that based on just these screens?

Chris Michael said:

what is this potential that nintendo hasn't met for this game that is still months from release that you have never played?

Deku

Banned
The 3-D is really impressive, particularly the close up conversations with NPCs and inside the town.

Salmonax

Chris Michael said:
Can you send me the copy you've been playing if you don't want it?

Chris Michael said:

"I go on message boards and complain about games I've never played before."

Chris Michael said:

ooh boy here we go again.

Midna

Banned
E-phonk said:
The game looks great, but the screenshtos have JPG artifacts at places where you can be sure it's the JPG compression and not "teh bad textures".

Yeah jpeg artifacts make so many screenshots look ugly. I know websites need to be wary of bandwidth but would it really hurt to lower the compression a bit?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
joke's on people who take chris michael seriously.

hint: dont bother replying to him.

Gekkonidae said:
How can you tell all that based on just these screens?

I don't want to draw the path of my boomerang.

I don't want an on-rails Zelda by drawing the path of my ship.

I don't want to control Link with my ****ing fairy.

I just want Zelda. The traditional Zelda formula, for me at least, will never get old. And Nintendo just wants to **** up all their franchises by adding "innovation". Well, innovation got us shit games like Starfox Command and Metroid Prime Hunters.

The only good that has come out of this new philosophy that Nintendo has had is Kirby Canvas Curse, and that came out nearly 2 years ago. Not to mention by HAL, whose games will always be awesome... because they GET IT.

Chris Michael said:

I just want Zelda. The traditional Zelda formula, for me at least, will never get old. And Nintendo just wants to **** up all their franchises by adding "innovation". Well, innovation got us shit games like Starfox Command and Metroid Prime Hunters.

The only good that has come out of this new philosophy that Nintendo has had is Kirby Canvas Curse, and that came out nearly 2 years ago. Not to mention by HAL, whose games will always be awesome... because they GET IT.

Okay you officially are stupid.

Chris Michael said:
The traditional Zelda formula, for me at least, will never get old.

Well, for me and many others, to be exact, for every true Zelda-fan, the so-called "traditional formula" HAS BECOME old already. But im sure you want the series to die when noone buys it anymore because it´s just the same over and over again. *sigh*

Error said:
joke's on people who take chris michael seriously.

hint: dont bother replying to him.

Then why bother having him around at all?
At least with most joke characters in this forum they're funny from time to time.

Salmonax

Chris Michael said:

I just want Zelda. The traditional Zelda formula, for me at least, will never get old. And Nintendo just wants to **** up all their franchises by adding "innovation".
You should check out the Virtual Console. Plenty of franchises frozen in time there.

Salmonax said:
You should check out the Virtual Console. Plenty of franchises frozen in time there.

If I could have VC on the go, that'd be great.

I don't have time for consoles anymore, I barely even have time for portables.

Much better now that we have screenshots to look at, other than tons of little Red X's all over the place!

Ah well, can't wait to own this gem! So nice. So nice.

D.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Man, I just HATE the look of this game. an example of being too ambitious with the technology. They should have just made it look amazing in 2-D with great effects and animation, rather than this barely-passable 3d.

While I am sure that this game will be one of the best looking DS games in motion and will certainly be fun to play, I am still disappointed at the choice of the devteam to not make Four Swords Adventures DS. As much as I love single-player traditional Zelda games, Four Swords Adventures for the GC was one of the best multiplayer experiences out there, and with the DS's easier multiplayer (and even online) abilities, it would have been a perfect experience.

... however, thinking about it, I would love to see a Four Swords Adventures Wiimake using the DS and/or online functionality.

What do we know about the actual gameplay of Phantom Hourglass, other than it has one main central dungeon and several smaller ones?

Top Bottom