• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon Sun & Moon trailer revealing the final starter evolutions & more

CazTGG

I'm guessing that Decidueye's hidden ability is Compound Eyes and not Sniper, partially because owls are well known for their eyes being particularly well adapted for seeing in the dark, but also because Sniper seems like too obvious an ability to be granted, not to mention that it won't help out much outside of maybe a gimmicky Lens/Focus energy set that Kingdra would likely perform this role better due to its greater bulk, assuming it even learns Focus Energy and has a more offensive spread of stats. Compound Eyes might not be that big a boon compared to, say, Contrary, but it could help patch up Power Whip's spotty accuracy, once again operating under the assumption that it learns that move.

I don't think Sinnoh remakes are going to happen this gen. I think it's more likely we'll get sequels/3rd version to Sun and Moon this go around. Game Freak takes about 2 years to release the next pokemon game on a new console. So I could see them pull a Gen 5. Have Sun and Moon 2 release Holiday 2017 or Spring 2018, and the Gen 8 releases on Switch, Fall 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if Gamexplain was on to something with possible gym leaders in Alola. However, I think they will save gym leaders for Sun and Moon 2. I also would expect 20-30 more alolan forms and possibly 5-10 megas.

Neiteio

It's most likely deh-sid-you-eye. As in deciduous trees; trees that shed leaves annually.
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

I'm surprised some are having trouble with Decidueye's name. It's most definitely a combination of "deciduous" and "eye."

It's a great name. No need to change it.

Kind of sucks but Decidueye hidden ability is most likely going to be Levitate. He's a bird and ghost.
Ground-type immunity on top of Normal- and Fighting-type immunity is pretty nice

Yeah, he already resists Ground, but still

I don't think Sinnoh remakes are going to happen this gen. I think it's more likely we'll get sequels/3rd version to Sun and Moon this go around. Game Freak takes about 2 years to release the next pokemon game on a new console. So I could see them pull a Gen 5. Have Sun and Moon 2 release Holiday 2017 or Spring 2018, and the Gen 8 releases on Switch, Fall 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if Gamexplain was on to something with possible gym leaders in Alola. However, I think they will save gym leaders for Sun and Moon 2. I also would expect 20-30 more alolan forms and possibly 5-10 megas.

I'm hoping we get Sinnoh remakes just so that getting Defog on a mon isn't a complete pain.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

I'm surprised some are having trouble with Decidueye's name. It's most definitely a combination of "deciduous" and "eye."

It's a great name. No need to change it.
Yeah, everyone learns the word deciduous in second grade, it's mandatory in all English speaking countries.
Don't be an idiot.

Derwind

Geeze. I just watched this video where this guy tries to explain why "Decide-you-eye" is grass/ghost and he's going on about how Mexican folklore has an evil owl witch ghost and the goddess of the dead uses owls as messengers. Its design and description has absolutely nothing to do with these cultural references.

My thoughts are it's ghost type because it's figuratively a ghost. It's a sniper assassin that can mask its presence. Like how assassins and snipers irl can be called ghosts. This one is so good at it that it's ingrained in its being.

There was a rich playboy owl, while on a boating trip and cheating on his girlfriend with her younger, hotter sister, got into an accident where the world thought him dead.

However we find out through a series of flashbacks that he got trapped on an island halfway across the world.

When he finally returned home, he only saw greed and corruption destroying the place he once loved.

So to fix this, he needed to become someone else.. become something else...

Dartrix evolved into Decidueye.

There was a rich playboy owl, while on a boating trip and cheating on his girlfriend with her younger, hotter sister, got into an accident where the world thought him dead.

However we find out through a series of flashbacks that he got trapped on an island halfway across the world.

When he finally returned home, he only saw greed and corruption destroying the place he once loved.

So to fix this, he needed to become someone else.. become something else...

Dartrix evolved into Decidueye.
To be fair the sister had some nice hooters

Strimei

A seemingly crucial pokemon introduced in Sun/Moon is basically an artificial Arceus designed to fight Arceus.

We're going to Sinnoh.

Toxi

Banned
I'm guessing that Decidueye's hidden ability is Compound Eyes and not Sniper, partially because owls are well known for their eyes being particularly well adapted for seeing in the dark, but also because Sniper seems like too obvious an ability to be granted, not to mention that it won't help out much outside of maybe a gimmicky Lens/Focus energy set that Kingdra would likely perform this role better due to its greater bulk, assuming it even learns Focus Energy and has a more offensive spread of stats. Compound Eyes might not be that big a boon compared to, say, Contrary, but it could help patch up Power Whip's spotty accuracy, once again operating under the assumption that it learns that move.
Compound Eyes is restricted to arthropod-based Pokemon since, you know, they have compound eyes.

Seil

Kind of sucks but Decidueye hidden ability is most likely going to be Levitate. He's a bird and ghost.

Currently, every single Pokemon that has Levitate has it as their primary ability. And the Bronzor line is the only Levitate line that's capable of having a different ability. It'd be pretty unusual to say the least.

Personally, I think Sniper would be incredibly fitting, especially if it happens to learn Laser Focus.

I still think Juniper is way better, but unfortunately that pun isn't as apparent in English

I also really like it, it's a shame it falls apart in English.

HawthorneKitty

Someone did fanart of the fanart:
pf7WTJP.png
http://shuryukan.tumblr.com/

Leaf was always my favorite female trainer design. It is tragic that she doesn't exist.

Also, I like to think I'm reasonably well educated, but I didn't recognize "deciduous" as being the basis for Decidueye's name until it was pointed out to me. While I then recognized the word, I had to look it up to remind myself what it meant.

Think I'm gonna play as the girl this time around. Went guy in Y so gonna mix it up, and no doubt the girls will have better customisation.

Think I'm gonna play as the girl this time around. Went guy in Y so gonna mix it up, and no doubt the girls will have better customisation.

Pokémon was my first video game. It was the first brand that I fell head over heels into and I was pretty much inseparable from its world for several years. My attachment to Red was/is very strong and it's hard for me to imagine Gen I Pokémon without thinking of Red first. Even with Gold/Silver, the first thing that comes to my mind is the ultimate battle with Red inside Mt. Silver.

I put Pokémon down well before Ruby and Sapphire, but I returned to the series for Fire Red and Leaf Green. Because of the inseparable expectation, I played as Red again.

But I became fascinated with the idea of Leaf. I was never the one to play a Pokémon game more than once, a campaign was always permanent for me, so my opportunity to play as Leaf was restricted. But I loved her design and the idea of young girl with the same implied tenacity as Red being a trainer in his stead. Despite my memory of Red being an inextricable center of my Pokémon experience, the curiosity of Leaf in his place motivated me to pick Dawn in Diamond/Pearl. I never went back. My selection of female characters and avatars became a non-negotiable habit.

So I have Leaf to thank for that, even though she's the female character option I have never actually played. I think that's why I most want to see her again.

All that said, the female trainer in Alola has a weird hat.

Siege.exe

I'm hoping that by the time I'm able to pick up my copy from mail services, there'll be a list of all the haircut options. No (decent looking) fro, no male trainer.

People are too dumb to recognize the name Pokémon if the font is different?

I never got why people used that excuse, Japan changes the font style for the logo every generation and never had a problem selling. You don't have to worry about brand recognition when you're already one of the best selling IPs of all time.

Ground-type immunity on top of Normal- and Fighting-type immunity is pretty nice

Yeah, he already resists Ground, but still

Immunity to Spikes,Toxic Spikes, Sticky Web, and all Terrain moves as well.

Depending on it's stats and how wide it's movepool is, Compound Eye could certainly come in handy. You could be looking at an almost 100% accurate Sleep Powder. Or even a Will-O-Wisp that would never miss.

Too bad about the English logos...

My main issue with the Pokémon logo is that the bottom of the N doesn't line up with the bottom of the P which causes issues when trying to line up subtitles or whatever. It usually means they just shoehorn the subtitle underneath it, typically in a straight line, because anything curved or trying to fit in the gap just wouldn't look right.

The only games in the mainline series that have gotten away with it in my opinion is XY and that's because they were able to have it to the side which actually looked quite nice.

Seil

My main issue with the Pokémon logo is that the bottom of the N doesn't line up with the bottom of the P which causes issues when trying to line up subtitles or whatever. It usually means they just shoehorn the subtitle underneath it, typically in a straight line, because anything curved or trying to fit in the gap just wouldn't look right.

The only games in the mainline series that have gotten away with it in my opinion is XY and that's because they were able to have it to the side which actually looked quite nice.

We also miss out on stuff like the Mega symbol in the XY logo and the crystals in the S&M logos. And just in general the yellow pokemon text looks like shit in comparison imo to a fully stylized logo.

We miss out on these great stylized logos and it sucks.

Kyzer

Banned
ok so Incineroar has actually really grown on me and I also am suddenly super hyped for battle tree...not quite as cool a setting as pokemon world tournament but it has potential to be really damn fun

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I just remembered B2W2 basically had a "Battle Tree" in the White Treehollow...

pz3LYxZ.png

Maybe Benga (who I forgot about till just now) will pop up.

Seil

I just remembered B2W2 basically had a "Battle Tree" in the White Treehollow...

pz3LYxZ.png

Maybe Benga (who I forgot about till just now) will pop up.

I'd actually like something like Black Tower or White Treehollow instead of just another Battle Tower clone, but really proper frontier facilities are grossly under-appreciated imo.

So many people ignore the battle frontier or pass it off as boring/watered down competitive stuff but really that's what the Tower and its clones are to me. The other frontier facilities all add a twist to things that makes them a sort of game within the game. Sure, they involve battles, but they turn battling into a minigame in a sense. Some examples:

Battle Factory: You use rental Pokemon and when you defeat someone you're able to swap out one of your Pokemon.

Battle Pike: You go into one of three rooms, which can involve different events. Single, doubles, wild pokemon, healing, surprise status effect, or even nothing at all. You rely on a combination of luck and prediction based on hints given by NPCs.

Battle Arcade: Another luck involved facility, but here it's all battles with random effects. You might get weather effects or trick room, status affliction, be granted held items or berries etc. (or give your opponent held items/berries instead lol)

Battle Castle: As you win here, you earn CP, a special currency for use within the Battle Castle, by doing certain things in battle. You can use this currency for perks like held items, and even reducing the level of your opponent's pokemon.

Hell, there's even the Battle Palace where your Pokemon fight for themselves!

HawthorneKitty

I'd actually like something like Black Tower or White Treehollow instead of just another Battle Tower clone, but really proper frontier facilities are grossly under-appreciated imo.

So many people ignore the battle frontier or pass it off as boring/watered down competitive stuff but really that's what the Tower and its clones are to me. The other frontier facilities all add a twist to things that makes them a sort of game within the game. Sure, they involve battles, but they turn battling into a minigame in a sense. Some examples:

Battle Factory: You use rental Pokemon and when you defeat someone you're able to swap out one of your Pokemon.

Battle Pike: You go into one of three rooms, which can involve different events. Single, doubles, wild pokemon, healing, surprise status effect, or even nothing at all. You rely on a combination of luck and prediction based on hints given by NPCs.

Battle Arcade: Another luck involved facility, but here it's all battles with random effects. You might get weather effects or trick room, status affliction, be granted held items or berries etc. (or give your opponent held items/berries instead lol)

Battle Castle: As you win here, you earn CP, a special currency for use within the Battle Castle, by doing certain things in battle. You can use this currency for perks like held items, and even reducing the level of your opponent's pokemon.

Hell, there's even the Battle Palace where your Pokemon fight for themselves!
Fuck the Palace; I'd sacrifice every battle facility if we can avoid it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Battle Factory should be the one that returns every game, getting a chance to use Pokemon you don't have time to train is great.

I had a blast using Spinda of all things in Platinum's.

Immunity to Spikes,Toxic Spikes, Sticky Web, and all Terrain moves as well.

Depending on it's stats and how wide it's movepool is, Compound Eye could certainly come in handy. You could be looking at an almost 100% accurate Sleep Powder. Or even a Will-O-Wisp that would never miss.

Kind of surprised there's not an ability that gives 100% accuracy to status moves. Prankster would still probably outclass it though.

Top Bottom