• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

Wow, it is really smaller. lol Didn't even notice at first. Still, it is very ugly. >_>

from the front it looks pretty slick and sexy imo. its just the ridges on the top that seem off. I wouldnt call the console ugly though. Why do some many people think it looks horrible? I remember people saying the same thing about the PS3 Slim.

A 16gb ps3 would ultimately be bad for the consumers since so many ps3 titles require large mandatory installs

not to mention it would add a third sku to the market, and I dont think that would be a good thing. 3 skus is too much no?

so does this pretty much throw jeff_rigby's theory about a ps3.5 out the window?

spwolf

And quiet would be nice. My slim makes an awful droning noise after an hour's play time.

if it wasnt like that from the start, you need to clean it up with vacuum... it means dust has built up inside and air cant get in too cool the cell.

UrbanRats

Looks pretty fucking ugly so far.
I haven't liked any of the PS3 so far.

Compared to the PSOne and PS2slim, it's not even close.

Amir0x

Banned
I dunno, when it comes to revisions, other than price... I think the look of it and any potential upgrades are all people look at.

Still I'd take the grill PS3 if only so I can have full BC,. Fuckin' assholes removing that shit :p

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
800px-Sega-Saturn-Console-Set-Mk1.png

SEGA was the only company that know how to design sexy game consoles.

So what consoles aren't ugly?

The N64, XBOX and Atari are all ugly. Sorry.

The GameCube isn't ugly, per se, it just looks like a cheap toy.

The PS2 was also ugly.

The PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS2 slim were pretty nice. So was the original 360.

The 360S, new and old Wii and PS3 Slim are nice. The PS3 original was sexy, except for the font.

Picobrain

Banned
Ugh I was planing to wait to get the new slim but after seeing this ugly thing I'll get PS3 slim. This is definitely THE ugliest console ever produced. I still can not understand how could they design this.

acm2000

Wtf is that... Holy jebus, I honestly didn't think they could make an uglier console Than the ps2, then, they made the ps3, now.... Oh boy, they have topped them both.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the ridge design to avoid fingerprints and aid grip for a top loader?

Curious how a 16GB flash version would be cheaper than a 250GB HDD. I guess HDD prices are still high.

Having a non-HDD version, maybe this one is designed to be easier to add a HDD, and Sony will sell official upgrades? Eg a simple slot in drawer (and you can DIY if you want because it'd just be a normal HDD with a cradle bolted to it

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How would it work when you upgrade and add a HDD? Don't think the PS3 supports multiple storage drives, so would you have to do a system transfer across to the HDD, then the 16GB sits unused? Will the HDD versions also have the flash drive in them or will Sony remove the to save costs?

The low end hard drive models are already $249. They can't introduce a new price reduced version with a hard drive at the same price point. The existing slim will look better than the flimsy, top loading new one at $249. Logically, the new model must be accompanied by a price drop across the whole line. The $199 price point is the sensible place to go for the low end hard drive model. If the 250gb ends up where it should at $199, it's not hard to imagine the 500gb ending up at $249. All that's left is the 16gb model. It has to be significantly cheaper than the 250gb model (and we know it should literally be about $40 less to actually build) so $149 makes a lot of sense. Sony could soft pedal the price drop to like 170 or 180, but it will definitely be less than 199. I think $149 makes the most sense. Sony is still really good at cost reduction, and switching out a mechanical hard drive for flash eliminates a huge fixed cost from the BOM.

More like $199 for the flash, then $229 and $249

You save money dropping the HDD, but 16GB flash isn't free. Expecting a $100 price cut is unrealistic (but happens every time there is a new console revision coming out)

Massa

How would it work when you upgrade and add a HDD? Don't think the PS3 supports multiple storage drives, so would you have to do a system transfer across to the HDD, then the 16GB sits unused? Will the HDD versions also have the flash drive in them or will Sony remove the to save costs?

1. That's why I believe will happen. A first time setup for the HDD would copy over files from internal storage to the hard drive.

2. Most likely they'll remove it, no reason not to.

onQ123

Is the ridge design to avoid fingerprints and aid grip for a top loader?

Curious how a 16GB flash version would be cheaper than a 250GB HDD. I guess HDD prices are still high.

Having a non-HDD version, maybe this one is designed to be easier to add a HDD, and Sony will sell official upgrades? Eg a simple slot in drawer (and you can DIY if you want because it'd just be a normal HDD with a cradle bolted to it

because the 16GB of flash can be made on the board & don't take up any space vs a hdd.

& it might be the same flash that they are going to be adding to the PS4 board so they should be getting a pretty big discount on the chips.

Proxy

So much hyperbole in this thread. Anyway, I'll reserve judgement till I see the final unit in better shots.

Rolf NB

After running various CSI-quality edge-detect filters
in GIMP
, I still don't see an externally accessible HDD bay. Anywhere. Don't think there is one. Best case, HDD is accessible down through the top as well.

Vormund

Still I'd take the grill PS3 if only so I can have full BC,. Fuckin' assholes removing that shit :p

Me too. I'd Give the other PS3 to my mum as a blu-ray player and for some of the PSN games.

I don't know why Sony just can't release a model for those willing to pay for it.

That certainly looks interesting, but I'll withhold complete judgement until the official photos are released. Pure-shit cheap cell phone quality photos aren't going to really give the best impression, so I am eager to see the design straight from Sony.

If anything, I'm more interested in the 16GB SKU, assuming it ever actually comes to fruition. I'm not a fan of that amount of storage space at all, but with a likely reduction in cost of materials, internal components and a possibly cheaper BD drive (hello tray or lid!) the lower space could push it just enough into the the extremely affordable range, like $149 or lower area. I wonder if Sony will be going to a fixed HDD that is not upgradable... not having to worry about the housing and door for HDD could reduce costs even further.

I wonder when they are going to announce this... gamescom is my guess.

NekoFever

It's like Sony wants the grill jokes to start again.

I've hated the look of both previous PS3s, though, so why break the habit of a lifetime?

onQ123

in GIMP
, I still don't see an externally accessible HDD bay. Anywhere. Don't think there is one. Best case, HDD is accessible down through the top as well.

Maybe this is the PS3go & there is no Blu-ray drive & the top is where the HDD drive is & you can only download games or play them in the cloud?

Everybody Panic!

773e758f_th_oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

plainr_

in GIMP

Maybe they're going to allow external hard drives. ;)

More like $199 for the flash, then $229 and $249

You save money dropping the HDD, but 16GB flash isn't free. Expecting a $100 price cut is unrealistic (but happens every time there is a new console revision coming out)

16GB flash is almost free, an 8GB chip comes in at $3 for bulk pricing, so 16GB would be $6 for the flash, compared to around $50 for a HDD.

I think once a HDD is inserted the PS3 will automatically copy all of the data from the flash onto the HDD and ignore the flash partition from then. I don't think they will put any flash storage in the HDD models.

coldfoot

Banned
16gb with complimentary 1 year PS+ sub so you can save to cloud. Make it so Sony.
LOL, it makes so much sense to give out a sub that contains 100+ GB of games every year in a console with 16GB of storage.

My predictions: 16GB $199, 250GB $249, 500GB $299. 250GB model comes with 3-month PS+ and the 500GB comes with 1-year of PS+ subscription.

Top Bottom