• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

So I think I have figured out the pricing.

$199 - 250GB
$199 - 16GB Wonderbook edition (competes with Kinect)
$249 - 500GB

Eventually I think we will see Wonderbook stripped out and the 16GB sold for $149.

coldfoot

Banned
I think once a HDD is inserted the PS3 will automatically copy all of the data from the flash onto the HDD and ignore the flash partition from then. I don't think they will put any flash storage in the HDD models.

JBOD partitions have been supported in Linux over 10 years, you know, the feature that Windows is only getting in 2012 where you can make a single giant partition from a bunch of smaller drives. It might be very little effort to do the same in the PS3, so if you add a HDD to the 16 GB flash model, you get HDD + 16 GB of storage.

The HDD models will not have flash, just like the Xbox models with HDD are missing the 4GB flash in the arcade model.

Seems like Sony forgot how to design consoles. The PSOne and PS2 Slim were very sleek and nice designs, but this is butt ugly, you can't even see the PS3 logo, it's just a plain black brick.

So I think I have figured out the pricing.

$199 - 250GB
$199 - 16GB Wonderbook edition (competes with Kinect)
$249 - 500GB

Eventually I think we will see Wonderbook stripped out and the 16GB sold for $149.

Lot of people jumping through a lot of hoops trying to argue the PS3 won't go under $199 when doing that is exactly the 16gb model appears to be designed for.

Exply

Neo Member
tumblr_m6ag8seFmy1qde5so.gif

I seriously hope they are fake.

Is Sony making a profit yet on each console they sell and if not will this SKU now enable them to?

the ps3 has been profitable for about two years

"The game business achieved a profit in the fourth quarter due to strong sales of first-party software and the elimination of negative margins on the PS3," said Nobuyuki Oneda, chief financial officer of Sony, at a Tokyo news conference. He was referring to the fourth quarter of Sony's fiscal year that runs from April to March.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196214/sonys_playstation_3_turns_profitable.html

Sealda

Banned
I like how people always thinks some ugly ass console from the late 80s or 90s is the best looking console ever. Just basically, because they had that console when they were kids and thinks its cool to like something old school.

When the PS2 was released, most people did not even talk about how the console looked. Some magazines, commented that it had a slick retro look, thats it.

But as time progresses, all of sudden everyone hail the PS2 as the greatest looking console ever.

People even defending the NA snes? whats next, SNES Jr.?

I like how people always thinks some ugly ass console from the late 80s or 90s is the best looking console ever. Just basically, because they had that console when they were kids and thinks its cool to like something old school.

When the PS2 was released, most people did not even talk about how the console looked. Some magazines, commented that it had a slick retro look, thats it.

But as time progresses, all of sudden everyone hail the PS2 as the greatest looking console ever.

gameboy

Coal

Damn, these last few pages have just screamed this:

Stop_liking_what_I_dont_like-n1315212424812-1.jpg

That being said, I think this new PS3 looks like shit and hope they change it.

Audioboxer

I'll wait for some better pictures (slim looked worse pre-announcement), but so far I'm not liking it :/

Not entirely sure why there would be a grill on top, unless the smaller design really needs all the vents/cooling options it can get.

If it's not slot loading it's useless to me as well as my PS3 Slim slides nicely into a narrow TV unit.

Protocol7

Holly hell is this a joke? Hope the improvements will be worth this atrocity...
And why going back to that hideous plastic/finger print free abuse look... seriously...

I don't understand the the third view of the second pic Oo ?

Erasus

Looks awful. I like the design of the OG PS3 and PS3 Slim. PS2 and PS2 slim are awesome designs too.

But this grill, and what look like a manual disc load just looks cheap

Was so excited for this but... damn that looks so ugly :(

It's like Sony is still stuck in the 80s when it comes to electronics design.

Grim1ock

Banned
Was so excited for this but... damn that looks so ugly :(

It's like Sony is still stuck in the 80s when it comes to electronics design.

You're kidding right?

Have you seen any recent sony products from sony electonics themselves? Especially their Vaio laptops?

This is what happens when you have accountants in charge of console design. Ever since Ken left the company the ps3 slims have looked like shit.

The OG ps3 especially white to this day looks fantastic as hell

This is just not true. I remember a lot of talk about the PS2 design when it was unveiled.
In fact a magazine I had at the time had a full two-page spread solely dedicated to the design philosophy and interviewed the designers who spoke about their space concept with the console (black = space, blue = earth, glitter effect = stars) and even a lot of my friends were excited about the design (it was similar to the Minidisc players we all had at the time) so yeah, PS2 design has been beloved since day one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looks good, will cop the 16GB version if they price it sensibly - £119.99

Current cheapest price on the 160GB is about £190. How on earth do you figure out a sensible price is £120? I guess new models and price reduction rumours bring out the wish-fulfilment in people. £149 if you're lucky,nthose other prices are already discounted.

Replace the grill and it's not bad at all. I agree the past consoles wasn't quite the looker. The only console that looked decent is PSONE, PS2 Super Slim, and Gamecube to me.

Durante

I wonder how the same company can design this and Vita.

To be fair, the front looks really nice, it's just the top that kills it.

I cannot believe that this is going to be a toploader. Toploaders were great for when consoles were kid's stuff that is placed in front of the TV instead of a rack and maybe had their advantages for cartridges that had to be pushed into a slot. Nowadays they seem to be unpractical.

Sethos

Banned
newps3.jpg

Not so bad looking now, huh? :)

Erm yes, it's exactly the same why would it suddenly look better?

Also an awful design, why the hell would I want a toploader when it's sitting on a shelf, under my TV, packed away? I'd have to get on my knees and start rummaging around all the way in there to change a disc.

kvn

I cannot believe that this is going to be a toploader. Toploaders were great for when consoles were kid's stuff that is placed in front of the TV instead of a rack and maybe had their advantages for cartridges that had to be pushed into a slot. Nowadays they seem to be unpractical.

That's why the lid slides to open.

Coal

Has the slide top been confirmed by anything, or is that speculation? Because I just don't see why they would do that OR top loading, it's pretty perfect as is if you ask me. Doesn't really make sense to change it.

Majine

Banned
Has the slide top been confirmed by anything, or is that speculation? Because I just don't see why they would do that OR top loading, it's pretty perfect as is if you ask me. Doesn't really make sense to change it.
Yeah, the discloading process can't even take up that much space inside the machine because the Wii has that too. They must've chosen that route to make it look as cheap as possible so people will buy it.

tsumineko

Wow, I mean, the original design looked bad, then it got a little better with the slim, and now they've just gone batshit with this cheap looking slab. Toploading is so 1990's.

Durante

Well, I'd assume they want to get this model to $99 at some point in the future, and a top loader is cheaper than a slot-loading drive.

newps3.jpg

Not so bad looking now, huh? :)

Well, I think these pics make it look a lot better. Also people commenting about the top slider lid, I think this is in direct response to the PS2 slim which a lot of people wanted to have a laptop style disc drive or some sort of sliding tray so they could stand it up on a shelf and not worry about the lid needing room to open.

Top Bottom