• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

ps2+fat+console.jpg

TEN MORE YEARS

2 more years and it will mark the 10th anniversary of its discontinuation.

Rolf NB

Revision 2 patch:
Code:
== //global list of all sata devices
-- SataDevice sataDevices[1];    //one should be enough for anybody.
++ SataDevice theSataDevice;     //one should be enough for anybody.
==                               //Also, hardcoding this, because we're idiots.

@commit log:
@changed from array to scalar. We can only ever have one anyway

Revision 3 patch:
Code:
== //global list of all sata devices
== SataDevice theSataDevice;     //one should be enough for anybody.
==                               //Also, hardcoding this, because we're idiots.
++ //support old array access syntax
++ SataDevice& sataDevices[3];   //only aliases for now FIX THIS LATER
++                               //three should be enough for anybody
++ for (int i = 0; i < 3; ++i) {
++   sataDevices[i] = theSataDevice;
++ }

@commit log:
@had code that used the array-style variables, which broke in latest revision
@added back old array-style access as an alternative to make old code work again
@made extensible xD

Haha, where's this from?
Nothing :_)

BKK

Full software PS2 BC isn't quite a reality even now. They have had a PS2 emulator in FW for a while now but hadn't actually used it because only a very small amount of games worked with it and even those needed to be optimised on a case by case basis. Re-introducing PS2 BC seems off the cards for now especially since they can milk that limited amount of games on PSN.

Not to mention HD re-releases. They struck gold with that and I can't see them backing out at all.

Full SW emulation, not full compatibility, even the partial SW/HW emulation used in some early models of PS3 didn't have full compatibility. The full SW PS2 emulator included in earlier FW ran at low framerates, it wasn't advanced enough to be released to the public.

The final point is valid, but only a very small percentage of PS2 games will ever get HD remakes, I'd say that PS2 classics would be a bigger incentive for Sony not to release a FW update for the emulator to work with discs.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect the return of BC.

I thought their full SW emulation solution was relatively bespoke, and there are like 80 titles available from the PS2's enormous library.

They're not going to reintroduce the Graphics Synthesizer chip as it would defeat the point of the cost reduction.

Maybe PS4? When the bell finally tolls for PS2.

I don't think it's a bespoke emulator created on a case by case basis, according to a poster who knew someone who worked on QA;

About time they announced this. So sony have been working on this for a while now, they just finished with their QA testing in Liverpool 2 weeks ago. Here's basically what I know:

No remastering, just smoothing/screen size options like PS1 emulation.
Not all games are supported, shadow of memories & Hitman 2 are examples of games that just didn't work and they don't plan to try and get them to work. They also seem to be covering a huge list of games even fairly unknown games like The Seed: warzone.
No button remapping options, like PS1 emulation, for now.
No trophies or anything along those lines.

Apart from that everything should be what people are expecting. There doesn't seem to be any bells and whistles on it, it's straight up PS2 emulation.

Which sounds just like a general PS2 emulator rather than a bespoke emulator made for each game. That's also how early builds included in older FW were, general, not bespoke. Anyway, if Sony don't bring PS2 BC back to PS3 I'm sure that it will be hacked back in eventually (see Cobra USB).

If Sony haven't dealt with PS2 BC all throughout this gen, why would they start now during the final stretch of this generation?

Because the HW cost too much to continue including, and a full SW solution has only been available recently.

Theonik

Full SW emulation, not full compatibility, even the partial SW/HW emulation used in some early models of PS3 didn't have full compatibility. The full SW PS2 emulator included in earlier FW ran at low framerates, it wasn't advanced enough to be released to the public.

The final point is valid, but only a very small percentage of PS2 games will ever get HD remakes, I'd say that PS2 classics would be a bigger incentive for Sony not to release a FW update for the emulator to work with discs.
My point is that while they do have a full software emulator it's quite poor and only works with a small amount of PS3 games because it doesn't fully emulate the PS2, proper full SW emulation on the PS3 is still off the cards. Also iirc the classics being released now were games that already run well on the old emulator with some game specific fixes.
As for the second part I did say that it was off the card because they can currently sell you the PS2 games that do work on PSN, meaning the PS2 classics, and in addition the other popular games can be released as HD collections. It makes no sense on their part to give that up and I'm not sure they even think it would add enough value to even be a priority.

BKK

My point is that while they do have a full software emulator it's quite poor and only works with a small amount of PS3 games because it doesn't fully emulate the PS2, proper full SW emulation on the PS3 is still off the cards. Also iirc the classics being released now were games that already run well on the old emulator with some game specific fixes.

Initial models of PS3 had full HW BC (EE+GS chip), second generation models had partial HW BC (GS HW, EE SW), the PS2 classics emulator fully emulates both the EE & GS in software. This is what is meant by full SW BC, not how well it emulates it. No emulator is perfect, so saying it's not proper full SW emulation doesn't make all that much sense from a technical point of view.

I don't think we really know what percentage of games work with their emulator until a newer FW gets hacked, but according to someone who worked on QA "They also seem to be covering a huge list of games even fairly unknown games like The Seed: warzone.", so it doesn't sound like just a small amount of games.

As for the second part I did say that it was off the card because they can currently sell you the PS2 games that do work on PSN, meaning the PS2 classics, and in addition the other popular games can be released as HD collections. It makes no sense on their part to give that up and I'm not sure they even think it would add enough value to even be a priority.

By this logic (which Sony may well share) they should have also removed disc based PS1 BC when they removed PS2 BC, and should not include disc based PS1 or PS2 BC in PS4, in which case I won't be buying one. At this stage of PS3's life at a $179 price point a lot of sales from now on will be to late adopters and developing countries, for these segments I believe it does add value and adds a significant incentive to upgrade (PS2 has sold over 50 million units since PS3 released).

androvsky

I don't think we really know what percentage of games work with their emulator until a newer FW gets hacked, but according to someone who worked on QA "They also seem to be covering a huge list of games even fairly unknown games like The Seed: warzone.", so it doesn't sound like just a small amount of games.

Now that you mention it, iirc they also tested Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, which were already announced for an HD collection at the time the QA would have been happening iirc. It doesn't seem to make much sense to run through so many games to test unless they were planning on a general BC firmware update. Would they normally waste QA resources on games that were never going to be released on PSN? Yes, the publishers would have to know what games actually work, or are at least close, but that's better solved by just adding the BC to dev units and letting the publisher figure it out. The programmers working on the emulator already knew it was pretty solid, otherwise they wouldn't have had that big QA push in the first place.

i wonder if a major firmware update will come with this new model release..
There's almost certainly going to be a major firmware update, hopefully they don't mess up the XMB too much this time. Anyone else think it's strange Sony would announce the Laugh Factory app a month and a half ahead of time? And although Crunchyroll said their app would come out in summer, according to the blog post it'll be fall, along with Neon Alley. I suspect the next wave of apps are going to basically be links to the browser, maybe with cached icons so you feel like you're getting something when you download the app. Hell, the Video Unlimited app is still a preview.

Arkam

ps2 is about to last two gens. any other console done that?

The only thing I can think of is the GameBoy. But that was a handheld, so I guess that's different. Just about all the other consoles stopped getting software within the first 2 years of a newer gen.

Oh and this new PS3 is UGLY! I know you can make sexy hardware Sony so this is unacceptable.

The last few pages have renewed my interest in buying that One Piece LE PS3. My wife would not be pleased with a third Playstation in the house...

Utako

Banned
The PS3-4000 isn't small enough.

I can't believe they need what appears be a chassis three to four times larger than the Wii for 6-year-old technology. Even if it does have a HDD. Ridic.

Hopefully the current slim will be discounted to make room when this releases. If the rumor of a 16gb ps3 are true, I'm hoping to pick up a hdd ps3 for under $200.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

I can't believe they need what appears be a chassis three to four times larger than the Wii for 6-year-old technology. Even if it does have a HDD. Ridic.

You should give Sony's hardware engineers some pointers.

Rolf NB

The Wii is 11-year-old tech and the PS3 is 10x+ faster across the board. A slightly larger box is well justified.

coldfoot

Banned
Code:
//global list of all sata devices
SataDevice sataDevices[1];     //one should be enough for anybody.
                               //Also, hardcoding this, because we're idiots.
;p

It's one thing to modify a script in your home Linux box, another to do it and test it extensively before pushing it out to 60 million PS3's with different hardware.
This also still does not address the fact that a board with 2 SATA interfaces is more expensive than a board with one SATA interface.

I still have not heard any arguments on how is it beneficial for Sony to do this instead of sticking 16GB of flash in a SATA interface.

ps2 is about to last two gens. any other console done that?
For 1st party software releases:

Famicom/NES (1983-1994) PlayStation and Saturn launched 1994
PC Engine/TG16 (1987-1999) Dreamcast launched 1998
Super Famicom/Super NES (1990-2000) PS2 launched 2000
NeoGeo (1990-2004) Xbox/Gamecube launched 2001
PlayStation (1994-2005) Xbox 360 launched 2005

Rolf NB

It's one thing to modify a script in your home Linux box, another to do it and test it extensively before pushing it out to 60 million PS3's with different hardware.
This also still does not address the fact that a board with 2 SATA interfaces is more expensive than a board with one SATA interface.

I still have not heard any arguments on how is it beneficial for Sony to do this instead of sticking 16GB of flash in a SATA interface.
Why so serious? The code was fabricated and a joke. I don't want to know what kind of company would even start rolling their own block device code base these days, let alone lets code as boneheaded as the stuff I posted form the foundation of their systems.

I never argued for 2 SATA interfaces. I agree it costs more, and those are the bad kind of costs: per-unit costs (different/more interface chips).
The thing I did argue for was just soldering the flash chip onto the board, saving on the interface, and writing/reusing some code to address it. It doesn't take much programmer time to do, and it's a one-time fixed start-up cost that can be amortized quickly.

Again, Sony is a vertical hardware company. They have plants. Plants that already manufacture flash-using devices in large volumes, and they source the flash chips in bulk. They don't need to fill someone else's pockets if they can do it themselves.

A small standard SATA "SSD" module contains its own circuit board with controller chips and fancy hotpluggable physical connectors and some metal casing so you can screw it in standard 2.5" bays. None of these bits and materials are needed just to get 16GB of flash storage into a device. Why pay for them?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The Wii is 11-year-old tech and the PS3 is 10x+ faster across the board. A slightly larger box is well justified.

That's ignoring that the Wii came out in 2006, when it wouldn't have been 11 year old technology (I don't even know where you're pulling that number from, but sure.) It would've been like 5... maybe 6 years old. PS3 is now almost 6 years old. So yeah, it's not unreasonable that one might think they could shrink the system down more by this point.

16GB? does that make any sense? Isnt that like storage for 3-4 big games?

I think ribbed top looks OK, but the glossy plastic on the edges looks really cheap and ugly. What it really needs is some woodgrain.

1ti5V.jpg

Now that's a sexy console.

Lookin' Pimp. Might've considered getting one if I had a penthouse with 1970's interior, shelving it right next to my peace poster and close to my bong.

Rolf NB

That's ignoring that the Wii came out in 2006, when it wouldn't have been 11 year old technology (I don't even know where you're pulling that number from, but sure.) It would've been like 5... maybe 6 years old. PS3 is now almost 6 years old. So yeah, it's not unreasonable that one might think they could shrink the system down more by this point.
Gamecube released in 2001. Wii/Gamecube architectures are the same, just the clock speed increased (+50%), and the 16MB A-RAM was switched out for a 64MB DDR3 chip.

So would it have been technically feasible to build the Wii innards in 2001? I'm saying yes. Controllers and "platform vision" aside, the chips could have been made.

Apple released a 733MHz G4 Mac also in 2001. I mention this because it's pretty much identical to Broadway in architecture and clocked virtually the same. So the Wii CPU was basically out on the market in 2001. Actually, they also sold dual-cores up to 800MHz. Still 2001.

So Nintendo wasn't pushing clocks on the CPU side. They stayed at around 2/3rds of what they could have achieved. Why shouldn't I assume they were conservative to the same extent on the GPU side as well?

onQ123

PS3 has a harddrive Wii didn't

coldfoot

Banned
I never argued for 2 SATA interfaces. I agree it costs more, and those are the bad kind of costs: per-unit costs (different/more interface chips).
The thing I did argue for was just soldering the flash chip onto the board, saving on the interface, and writing/reusing some code to address it. It doesn't take much programmer time to do, and it's a one-time fixed start-up cost that can be amortized quickly.
Soldering the chip on the board is not a 1-time cost since you need to have a place for it and make the board larger to accomodate for it. It's also unknown how much those 1-time costs are and how much they can be amortized this late into a generation.

A small standard SATA "SSD" module contains its own circuit board with controller chips and fancy hotpluggable physical connectors and some metal casing so you can screw it in standard 2.5" bays. None of these bits and materials are needed just to get 16GB of flash storage into a device. Why pay for them?
All that material costs a couple dollars, (all PS3's already have a metal casing to mount the HDD, and you'd need to provide it anyway if you intend to make it upgradable) and it does not need to be duplicated for other models that come with the HDD. Compared to making the whole board larger, even for models that have HDD's or managing and making two different motherboards, I'd say it's a better solution. Then there is the elimination of one-time programming and testing costs that come with adding a new interface.

Paracelsus

So uh...do you think that fake wooden thing could actually become a thing?

You know, kinda like a kickstarter to fund some stickers or a faceplate or something.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So uh...do you think that fake wooden thing could actually become a thing?

You know, kinda like a kickstarter to fund some stickers or a faceplate or something.

Perfectly possible, there are stickers for current PS3 models so I'm sure some site will have some eventually for the new model.

Utako

Banned
The Wii was not 11-year-old tech when it was introduced. The GameCube was even newer than the PS3 is now. So there ya go, not so justified, merely a poor job done.

That fucking PSU. Powerbricks are far more convenient than a single enormous box.

gcubed

The Wii was not 11-year-old tech when it was introduced. The GameCube was even newer than the PS3 is now. So there ya go, not so justified, merely a poor job done.

waiting for someone to tape a hard drive and power supply to a Wii with duct tape and take a picture. Merely a poor job done

That fucking PSU. Powerbricks are far more convenient than a single enormous box.

if only the wii was as powerful as the ps3, then it would make sense to compare sizes.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

You are trolling, please don't fill anymore of this thread with nonsense.

Soldering the chip on the board is not a 1-time cost since you need to have a place for it and make the board larger to accomodate for it. It's also unknown how much those 1-time costs are and how much they can be amortized this late into a generation.

All that material costs a couple dollars, (all PS3's already have a metal casing to mount the HDD, and you'd need to provide it anyway if you intend to make it upgradable) and it does not need to be duplicated for other models that come with the HDD. Compared to making the whole board larger, even for models that have HDD's or managing and making two different motherboards, I'd say it's a better solution. Then there is the elimination of one-time programming and testing costs that come with adding a new interface.

The SATA to flash controller hardware alone tilts the cost analysis in favor of soldering on the motherboard. And as I've already pointed out, they could easily package the flash internally as a daughter board or USB drive (which is how the 360 does it) eliminating all your down sides...

coldfoot

Banned
The SATA to flash controller hardware alone tilts the cost analysis in favor of soldering on the motherboard.
Because you won't need similar hardware on the motherboard and the flash will just be able to magically interface with the PS3 system?

PS3 OS is not designed for the primary storage to be connected via USB. Even if it was, a USB/SATA 2.5" HDD enclosure, with casing, cables and all, is $4 on eBay, so you're obviously overstating the costs.

And as I've already pointed out, they could easily package the flash internally as a daughter board or USB drive (which is how the 360 does it) eliminating all your down sides...
The PS3 already has a place to plug in a daughterboard, it's called a SATA slot. Making another one is just extra cost.

Because you won't need similar hardware on the motherboard and the flash will just be able to magically interface with the PS3 system?

Or a much simpler USB interface...

PS3 OS is not designed for the primary storage to be connected via USB. Even if it was, a USB/SATA 2.5" HDD enclosure, with casing, cables and all, is $4 on eBay, so you're obviously overstating the costs.

The PS3 OS can be modified. It's software. It's designed to allow flexibility. And the excess costs you are quibbling over against putting flash on the motherboard can be measured in pennies.

The PS3 already has a place to plug in a daughterboard, it's called a SATA slot. Making another one is just extra cost.

But still less than the cost of designing and building your SATA slot module.

coldfoot

Banned
Or a much simpler USB interface...

The PS3 OS can be modified. It's software. It's designed to allow flexibility. And the excess costs you are quibbling over against putting flash on the motherboard can be measured in pennies.

But still less than the cost of designing and building your SATA slot module.

Say whatever you want, it's just not gonna happen and you'll have 16GB flash connected via the SATA slot in the new PS3. Allowing USB as system drive opens the PS3 to all sorts of hacks and security vulnerabilities and they won't do it.

Baron

So what's up with the latest rumors on this system - is the hard disk slot still in? I'm looking to replace and retire my 80GB system while it still works, but I'm not up for a 16GB flash max. If I can't add a 750GB+ hard disk to this, I'll just buy the previous slim.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So what's up with the latest rumors on this system - is the hard disk slot still in? I'm looking to replace and retire my 80GB system while it still works, but I'm not up for a 16GB flash max. If I can't add a 750GB+ hard disk to this, I'll just buy the previous slim.

I think its definitely still in. The whole point of the flash is to let them sell it cheaper out of the box. Then you can add a hard drive at will.

Baron

I think its definitely still in. The whole point of the flash is to let them sell it cheaper out of the box. Then you can add a hard drive at will.

The more you consider it, the more it makes zero sense for the HDD slot to be omitted. Eventually this will be the only PS3 sold at retail, and to restrict hard disk size in such a way is simply untenable. It will have a slot for a hard disk, I'd wager.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The more you consider it, the more it makes zero sense for the HDD slot to be omitted. Eventually this will be the only PS3 sold at retail, and to restrict hard disk size in such a way is simply untenable. It will have a slot for a hard disk, I'd wager.

Right. Another way it to think how it fits into the grand strategy. They want you to get PS+ and its instant game library. With 16 GB fixed you cant even get a quarter of the games offered.

Also, they can sell hard drives as accessories and make profit on that avenue as well.

Also, the PS4 is rumored to have 16GB of flash, so this may simply be a test run for developers on PS3 on how that can be used and best exploited when the time comes. The 16GB flash, RAM, classic hard drive and disk all as sources of data.

Top Bottom