• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

Frosted

My new PS3.

untitled1020.jpg

Ran rp

Yeah, looks like a Duracell branded PS3SS. I want more of ArtGAF to come up with their own renders. They've all been interesting so far.

The more you consider it, the more it makes zero sense for the HDD slot to be omitted. Eventually this will be the only PS3 sold at retail, and to restrict hard disk size in such a way is simply untenable. It will have a slot for a hard disk, I'd wager.

External USB. Even the PS2 had them on early non-HDD bay launch units.

Alright I got a question. Should I wait for the new super slim, or pick up a 160gb PS3? My local store has a $50 gift card offer when you purchase the 160gb model making it basically $200. My tipping point is the larger drive and that it can go vertical. Can the new super slim do as well?

Mario007

Alright I got a question. Should I wait for the new super slim, or pick up a 160gb PS3? My local store has a $50 gift card offer when you purchase the 160gb model making it basically $200. My tipping point is the larger drive and that it can go vertical. Can the new super slim do as well?

Don't think it can, but honestly we don't know the prices of the new models. The rumored price for the 250 GB one is 229, I think, which would mean you'd be paying 30 more for 90GB of storage space.

Pooya

options:

1) wait for this to be announced, then there should be a price cut or the older models will get reduced price to clear the stock, then buy the current slim model.

2) get on that deal right now, it's good enough, it probably won't go lower than 200.

I wouldn't buy this new model over current model personally, ps3 production quality has been getting worse and worse because of Sony trying to save money on everything and anything including parts like fans, heatsinks and LEDs even. the newer it gets it doesn't mean it would be better.

Thanks! I hadn't thought about the cost savings measures that could lead to a more flimsy product. It makes sense, especially with the new PS4 coming, Sony probably went as cheap as possible. I can forsee a lot of broken lids on the new super slim

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

None of us will actually know at this point, lol, but from the pictures it looks like the previous models which all have that flat base on the right side so it is very likely that it will be able to stand vertically.

As for size, depends how much you want I guess, whether you want to pay now and use that gift card to essentially reduce the price as long as there is something else you want to use that card towards or wait for the 250gb model which is apparently $229.
Though I imagine the current models will be sold off to make room for the new ones, which would be a good point to pick one up.

omonimo

Banned
Seriously I want to leave a punch in the face of the man who thought to place this horrible grid front...it's so beautiful without that...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My Ps3 just bit the dust, should I just wait for this? Also, in terms of selling my old unit on Ebay for parts, how do I ensure that no one steals my PSN data? My Ps3 flashes the red lights.

It did last me 5 years, so I guess I shouldn't be too upset. It was the 80gb BC model. It served me well. *salutes*

My Ps3 just bit the dust, should I just wait for this? Also, in terms of selling my old unit on Ebay for parts, how do I ensure that no one steals my PSN data? My Ps3 flashes the red lights.

It did last me 5 years, so I guess I shouldn't be too upset. It was the 80gb BC model. It served me well. *salutes*

I'm not 100% positive but I think if you just pull out the hard drive and pop it back in it forces reformat. So everything would be wiped. Or just buy a cheap internal and keep that and put the other one in.

Best Buy's selling the 160gb for $229 this week. Worst case scenario you upgrade now and eat the $30 if Sony sells that super slim at 200. If your looking new

Mit-

I'm starting to doubt this thing's existence -.- Or atleast it being released in the near future.

This has been announced and isn't scheduled to be out until Assassin's Creed releases at the end of October:

live0168.jpg

Would they really release a new model before this bundle? Would they really release a new model so late into the holiday season, after Assassin's Creed III is released?

Maybe it'll come out next spring.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm starting to doubt this thing's existence -.- Or atleast it being released in the near future.

This has been announced and isn't scheduled to be out until Assassin's Creed releases at the end of October:

Would they really release a new model before this bundle? Would they really release a new model so late into the holiday season, after Assassin's Creed III is released?

They are not going to show a unit that has not been announced. They will just change the picture later.

Mit-

They are not going to show a unit that has not been announced. They will just change the picture later.

I tend to think that if it were actually a superslim bundle, they just wouldn't show a picture of the bundle at all, or hold off on announcing it (it would be a great announcement to make alongside the unveiling of the new PS3 model).

Also, 320GB is not one of the listed capacities for the new models. Would they really put this thing up for preorder and then drastically change the final product, offering a completely different PS3 in the bundle? I know that in most people's opinions you'd be getting a better deal out of it, but isn't that false advertising to some degree?

I'll gladly eat my own words if a new model is announced before November, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like that happen before, and really don't think we'll see that superslim before then.

Was there only one leak source? Or was it confirmed from multiple sources?

live0168.jpg

Or only the new 16gig flash unit has the new look and the HDD models look like the slim.

Triple U

Banned

live0168.jpg

Well bundles usually happen when they are trying to clear stock which would make sense in this case. I mean they wouldn't have all these submissions to the FCC just for show.

Mit-

Well bundles usually happen when they are trying to clear stock which would make sense in this case. I mean they wouldn't have all these submissions to the FCC just for show.

I get that, but the problem is the timing. If the new PS3 model is out, who's going to buy the old PS3 model just to get a small discount on the game? Hell, if it's still $300 when it comes out, would it even be a deal anymore? (assuming the new model comes at a lower price, or atleast causes the old models to drop in price)

LuchaShaq

Banned

I got a PS3 for 215$ almost 2 years ago brand new on amazon. Just check their new listings every few weeks you will easily find one under 200.

Mandoric

Banned
External USB. Even the PS2 had them on early non-HDD bay launch units.

Nope, launch PS2s had a PCMCIA slot where the HDD slot eventually went, and the HDD solution was built around an IDE controller card for that. (The network adapter itself is just a PCMCIA modem/NIC/IDE adapter with a slightly different, repositioned connector.)

Still a standard interface, though. If the PS3 HDD slot disappears it'll probably just be replaced with an external SATA connector, no need for software revision.

PSY・S;41191150 said:
Sony's waiting for a TGS/later reveal and don't want people to stop buying the current model in the meantime? I dunno.

This was the rumor. The stock on the current slim was still too high.

Miles X

Best place to ask I guess, was the Xbox 361 just made up or any truth to the rumour like there is with this PS3 Super slim?

Oemenia

Banned
PSY・S;41191150 said:
Sony's waiting for a TGS/later reveal and don't want people to stop buying the current model in the meantime? I dunno.
Im in a real big dilemma, theres a great deal going but im going to have to wait more than a month for the new model to be announced and then who knows how much longer for a good bundle.

Just dont want to regret getting the current version...

Miles X

Im in a real big dilemma, theres a great deal going but im going to have to wait more than a month for the new model to be announced and then who knows how much longer for a good bundle.

Just dont want to regret getting the current version...

Can you wait a couple of months? If you're in the US Black Friday is bound to have a crazy amount of deals.

I wonder why they're remodeling it again. Trying to grab the last of the crowd that they can before the new generation? Will they be able to sell enough this late in the generation to cover the cost of producing all these?

I doubt it. The sales will pick up for a little bit, but after that, it's just going to go back to regular numbers.

Top Bottom