• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

I guess you don't remember when the PS3 Slim was Ugly as FUCK.. & everyone was hugging their PS3 Phats.

sony-ps3-slim-leaked-photos-01.jpg

Nothing has changed over the years. It's still pretty ugly. Okay, ugly might be a bit too harsh. But it does look like some cheap home electronic device.

16GB €100 - €140 I think.

The Ps2 recieved its first $130 price in mid 2006 if I remember correctly, 5 years after launch which is where we are now.
It's also true that the Ps2 launched at half the price of the Ps3...

thelastword

Banned
My launch version died last year.. :( My Slim is going well and thank god for this huge disc space...because now I finally take advantage of Playstation Plus.

I still have another Launch version that I haven't turned on since March 2008...so it still has the old firmware.

anyone know how much this thing would be worth for someone?
So you had two, cool. I guess it could be worth something, but it might still be a risky proposition for a buyer, since ylod might be inevitable anyway. In any case, some guys here have had no issues with theirs, so perhaps your second one is one of those golden ones. It's up to a buyer who really wants one though, there's no great reward without risk. Hopefully you get a buyer.

Nothing has changed over the years. It's still pretty ugly. Okay, ugly might be a bit too harsh. But it does look like some cheap home electronic device.

I used to think that but then I saw it in person. Still had my doubts but now that I actually own one after my Phat died, I love it. It has issues such as lack of USB ports, but design wise, I think it's fantastic. I love the matte finish and I think it looks really stylish. Goes well with everything I own too.

If they are selling a 16gb unit maybe they will sell offical HDD upgrade kits so Random people who dont know how screw drivers work can upgrade there hard drive?

Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap what it looks like as long as it's cheaper, quieter, and not gimped in any way?

Not sure if I could deal with a 16gb model though. I like to install games when I can.

Boss Man

I wish they'd just release everything with the top loading tray to begin with.

Also, with 16GB memory I think this ought to be down to $149. That'd be a really nice price point.

Wow, that thing is UGLY. At least from those pictures.

I might have to grab a current slim this Black Friday if this thing is going to replace it.

Iacobellis

I went to wiki, and I think it is Firmware 1.80....I believe the last time I turned it on was actually early June 2008.

Wow, oh wow. 2.40 came out the month after. That's pretty good, some people like me like to see how consoles have progressed. If I were you, don't update it. I still miss the blades Dashboard on the 360.

16GB €100 - €140 I think.

The Ps2 recieved its first $130 price in mid 2006 if I remember correctly, 5 years after launch which is where we are now.
It's also true that the Ps2 launched at half the price of the Ps3...

yeah it has to be that price, because right now a 320GB PS3 is 214EUR on Amazon, so a 160GB should be 150EUR and 16 GB should be 100EUR ;)

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Obligatory
ps3grill.jpg

Ill reserve judgement till I see it in person, the original Slim looked way better in person than in pictures for some odd reason.

So this is my guess on pricing, £149, $199, €199. Anything less and it undercuts Vita by too much and lessens the value prospect for it as Sony can't cut the price of Vita by too much before heading into loss making territory. I would love to see Sony cut the price to £119, $149, €149 but it isn't going to happen. No way guys.

Jhriad

Maybe there will be another panel you can put on top of the middle ridged section that is glossy like the rest. Since I don't change disks super frequently I'd be okay with that.

apana

Damn, at least from the pics we have now that thing looks ugly as hell. That's a console only a mother could love. Xbox 360 slim and Wii consoles look so nice and simple, very modern designs, while PS3 keeps ending up in these strange shapes.

Dipswitch

Ridges are ugly as sin and look like they will do a very nice job of collecting dust. Still, I think this looks better than the slim.

lunchtoast

Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap what it looks like as long as it's cheaper, quieter, and not gimped in any way?

Not sure if I could deal with a 16gb model though. I like to install games when I can.

No I don't care what it looks like. I'm getting tired of my loud ass phat ps3 heater. As long as I can swap my HDD into this one I'll be getting it.

launch PS3 phat 60gb owner, my PS3 wont play dual layered games correctly (uncharted 3 wont load parts of levels) but is otherwise in perfect condition and plays everything else fine. Have thought about unloading this one for the next revision/price drop to finish uncharted 3, but man that system is ugly.

The phat is ugly in its own grill way, the slim is better overall but looks too cheap, and this combines the worst features of both + brings the long history of playstation systems looking like car amps into its design decree.

Also a lot of Sony's home theater receivers look inspired by the PS3, many of which are an improvement aesthetically, for example
sony-bdvn790w-blu-ray-home-theater-systems-by-sony_27412_500.jpg

thought maybe they would go with something like this

Bumhead

Banned
Depending on the price I would happily buy a 16GB unit, with support for either external drives or custom HDD sizes.

I've got an increasingly unreliable 40GB Phat at the moment that I'd like to retire so a smaller, quieter and more power efficient upgrade is my priority.

Afrikan

So you had two, cool. I guess it could be worth something, but it might still be a risky proposition for a buyer, since ylod might be inevitable anyway. In any case, some guys here have had no issues with theirs, so perhaps your second one is one of those golden ones. It's up to a buyer who really wants one though, there's no great reward without risk. Hopefully you get a buyer.

I'll be honest....my first one was running fine for 5 years (my cousin's launch still works, and he leaves it on ALL THE TIME....mainly for Netflix and BluRay).

I was just dumb dumb DUMB toward the end of its life....I was using it to stream live stuff using the Browser...and when ever it froze, I had to forcefully power it down then quickly power it up...and try to stream stuff again, until it froze...then rinse and repeat out of frustration, and being dumb like I said. So one day, it didn't turn back on like it used to. :(

So I think my second one would be fine because I used to take great care of them.

Jasoneyu

I feel the exact opposite. Its interesting how much people either love or hate the Phat.

I like the phat but the slim looks actually really really good. I was thinking of upgrading but I remembered I can still play ps2 games. I will weep the day when my ps3 phat dies :(

Bumhead

Banned
16gb is useless. Stupid move if that's their intention.

Whether or not it's a stupid move depends entirely on the price and the ease of their hard drive strategy (such as if they allow externals; although I don't even know if that's possible or if Sony would ever allow it).

If a 16GB unit allows them to get as close to £100 as possible then it's a potentially smart move.

Top Bottom