• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 Commercial During Monday Night Football (ESPN)

vg260

This would be great if I were buying the system to watch a live-action CG movie. Unfortunately, I am not.

I do not understand these types of commercials. Show me the games I will be playing, as they will look when I will be playing them.

Sadly, this kind of stuff is apparently what people like to watch.

FINALBOSS

Banned
This would be great if I were buying the system to watch a live-action CG movie. Unfortunately, I am not.

I do not understand these types of commercials. Show me the games I will be playing, as they will look when I will be playing them.

That's clearly not the goal of the ad.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
dat editing continuity.
iGsZXEKzI1KDJ.gif

Gorillaz

Uhhh Kind of funny. Not bad the music will hook people in naturally and most will probably stick to watch the entire commercial to see wtf is going on.

That new marketing firm they hired are showings its worth

Agree with CambriaRising, decent start but once they got into it I thought the racing (Drive Club) and Killzone sections were pretty good.

Also, yeah, Greatness Awaits is great stuff.

Krakn3Dfx

Liked it. 1700+ likes on YouTube and less than 30 dislikes, guess a lot of others did too.

Now I need to go listen to some Velvet Underground.

GodofWine

Yay! A commercial that's targeting people in my demographic (late 20's and 30's)

Yea, I was thinking the same thing...I was like these guys look like me

Its like Sony actually realizes that gamers are like 30yrs old on avg (older actually) and that guys/gals who are of that age probably owned a ps1 and ps2 even if they went with a 360.

I expect them to slowly begin showing games over the next couple of weeks. Devs still have games to finish. I want finished games, not commercials.

McDougles

Remember, Xbox One's commercials during football time were about watching football/TV. Even though this ad wasn't that great in terms of showing off games stuff, it was still centered around real-life versions of the PS4 game collection.

I think this Sony commercial is more effective for those interested in the consoles that watch football. Unless the Xbone football ads somehow convinced users that they should buy both a $50/month NFL Sunday Ticket pass AND Xbox Live Gold for $5/month and waste the more expensive package, the edge goes to the PS4.

It was OK, I guess. Not incredibly impactful but I MUCH prefer an ad like this over an ad with some angsty, crunching guitars and in-game footage of a bunch of dudes getting shot in the face.

SeanR1221

Am I the only one who feels the "salt" comments have gotten out of fucking hand?

Someone says something you don't agree with? Salty!!!

hawk2025

As a thought experiment, I showed the ad to four marketing PhDs currently sitting around me. 3 thought it was great, and 1 said it was "ok at best".

I thought the ad was pretty terrible. Was way too long and uninteresting, and in turn, awkward to watch.

"Okay... Guys displaying as knights or something fighting... Now they're singing? What game is this? What? Oh, okay, driving now. Drive Club, car crash, kind of cool. What are they even singing? Okay... Now a war field. Killzone? End? Okay..."

Now how is that making me want a PS4? What reason is there to buy the system? What does it do? What games are there (As a gamer, I already know what games they're supposed to be, except the first one). What do the games look like? Hows the game play? What else can the PS4 do?

If they're going to do live action commercials, show SOME game play, and make them hilarious like the Kevin Butler commercials.

hawk2025

I thought the ad was pretty terrible. Was way too long and uninteresting, and in turn, awkward to watch.

"Okay... Guys displaying as knights or something fighting... Now they're singing? What game is this? What? Oh, okay, driving now. Drive Club, car crash, kind of cool. What are they even singing? Okay... Now a war field. Killzone? End? Okay..."

Now how is that making me want a PS4? What reason is there to buy the system? What does it do? What games are there (As a gamer, I already know what games they're supposed to be, except the first one). What do the games look like? Hows the game play? What else can the PS4 do?

If they're going to do live action commercials, show SOME game play, and make them hilarious like the Kevin Butler commercials.

That's not the purpose of the commercial. This is not an informative commercial, by construction and purposefully.

Dragon

Banned

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

That's not the purpose of the commercial. This is not an informative commercial, by construction and purposefully.
Its to get me interested in the product, and alert me if releases on November 15th of this year. I don't see how this would interest anyone watching a football game.

Kevin Butler's commercials were the perfect example. They would occasionally jump to show game play, if I recall correctly.

Top Bottom