• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 Commercial During Monday Night Football (ESPN)

ButchCat

dat editing continuity.
iGsZXEKzI1KDJ.gif

Target render by the end of the PS4 cycle confirmed.

hawk2025

Its to get me interested in the product, and alert me if releases on November 15th of this year. I don't see how this would interest anyone watching a football game.

Fine, I'll walk you through the logic.

It's showing friends being social and playing their games together. It's showing that the PS4 is aiming at a social, interactive, compelling experience that's varied and exciting.
The hypothetical "you" then finds out about the console, and over the next month sees more ads, previews, videos, and information on it. You see games that remind you of the social, fun, connected experience of the ad, like that one driving and shooting part.
You are now sold on the console.

You are approaching this from a message board gamer's perspective with the baggage and information you currently have on the console and its content.

It's not aimed at you.
It's not aimed at directly informing over its contents.

PaulloDEC

I really liked it. Not quite as much as the original "Greatness Awaits" spot, but it was still a lot of fun. The bromantic (can I even use that as a word?) idea of the two dudes just having fun playing games together was quite sweet.

However, I realise a lot of men instinctively recoil from anything that even remotely resembles a musical, so this probably won't work for a lot of people.

As for all the people screaming for gameplay, I'm sure glad you don't work in advertising. Imagine how wonderful it'd be if every commercial was just footage of the product or service in question being used. Informative for sure, but a hell of a lot less fun.

DR3AM

they should do an ad like ms does with the surface and the ipad, compare them side by side and just add the price

Cels

was that the imperial capital (TESIV: Oblivion) in the background in the first part with the melee combat?

hawk2025

I really liked it. Not quite as much as the original "Greatness Awaits" spot, but it was still a lot of fun. The bromantic (can I even use that as a word?) idea of the two dudes just having fun playing games together was quite sweet.

However, I realise a lot of men instinctively recoil from anything that even remotely resembles a musical, so this probably won't work for a lot of people.

As for all the people screaming for gameplay, I'm sure glad you don't work in advertising. Imagine how wonderful it'd be if every commercial was just footage of the product or service in question being used. Informative for sure, but a hell of a lot less fun.

It was how commercials were back in the 50's. Strictly informative, if often misleading.

And then, you know, people actually started studying the field.

Dragon

Banned
they should do an ad like ms does with the surface and the ipad, compare them side by side and just add the price

The MS ads are cringeworthy though because they seem to exhibit no idea why people continue to buy iPads over the Surface.

The MS ads are cringeworthy though because they seem to exhibit no idea why people continue to buy iPads over the Surface.

Those ads are the worst because it's essentially free marketing for Apple. It's never wise to directly mention the competition in ads. Apple and Microsoft were both stupid for doing this.

Paskil

I liked it. It's something that will stick with people. They have been pretty good with their campaign so far. I'm interested to see how they roll out marketing for individual games like KZ:SF and Infamous. I don't watch TV at all so I don't really encounter ads in the wild.

That's not the purpose of the commercial. This is not an informative commercial, by construction and purposefully.

Honestly I think some people just don't get a light hearted commercial, they just want a infomercial. I would love to see these naysayers opinion of any XBone commercials in the future.
No I don't.

Five

Banned
Knack is going to be sent to die.

Good. I'm tired of its white supremacy agenda. Ever notice how all the good characters in that game are white? The only people of colored skin are the goblins, the bad guys. It's even in the name, too: if C is 3, and the prefix a- means not as in atypical, then NAC is N minus C, or K. Thus Knack is KKK. (I'm kidding, Mark Cerny I <3 U)

Dragon

Banned
lol i guaranteed knack sells better than the w101.

Knack is bundled in with Japanese PS4s at launch, so if this was actually a question, it'd be interesting. Too bad comparing it to one of the worst selling new IPs to come around recently is no way to determine whether or not it's gonna be a bomba.

Good. I'm tired of its white supremacy agenda. Ever notice how all the good characters in that game are white? The only people of colored skin are the goblins, the bad guys. It's even in the name, too: if C is 3, and the prefix a- means not as in atypical, then NAC is N minus C, or K. Thus Knack is KKK. (I'm kidding, Mark Cerny I <3 U)

This reminds me of the Half Life 3 things. Knack has three letters if you take away the letter K. HL3!

Good. I'm tired of its white supremacy agenda. Ever notice how all the good characters in that game are white? The only people of colored skin are the goblins, the bad guys. It's even in the name, too: if C is 3, and the prefix a- means not as in atypical, then NAC is N minus C, or K. Thus Knack is KKK.
? Wut

I don't get the whole "show gameplay" "show what it does" complaints. I'm sure there will be ads that do do that.

But the best console commercials in recent memory that I can think of are:
PS's Double Life.
PS2's Mountain.
360's Water Balloons.

Tabular

Banned
Uhhh Kind of funny. Not bad the music will hook people in naturally and most will probably stick to watch the entire commercial to see wtf is going on.

That new marketing firm they hired are showings its worth

Ya. This impresses me compared to PS3 launch ads. I like it but it leaves a lot of room for Microsoft to come in and outdo them like what happened with Gears of War.

ButchCat

Yea Knack is gonna flop harder than a fish on the beach. Tis sad really...
It won't. Post launch the drought will force people to go back and pick up the discounted games they had missed. Sony's first party games always had long legs.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I expect the (once it gets into full swing) Xbone commercials to be very reminiscent of the early Wii U commercials. The whole family in a house that no one can afford using the Kinect to do TV and snap stuff.

Minions

You mean the commercials I completely ignore when they come on the TV? I'm trained to ignore commercials like that. Compare this with similar commercials that air during the super bowl. It's about being different and original; If it leaves you asking questions or talking about it (good or bad) then it is getting the word out. It's even better if people post about it being bad on twitter. That is sure to get people to respond (and defend) Sony.... thus getting more people to talk about it.

Darksol

I liked it. It certainly beats the generic friends sitting on a couch fake playing a game. Still not as good as the original Greatness Awaits commercial though.

In isolation, that was not very good. As part of a larger campaign it might work reasonably well, but I just don't see how this commercial effectively conveys any of the PS4's many selling points.

Kssio_Aug

In isolation, that was not very good. As part of a larger campaign it might work reasonably well, but I just don't see how this commercial effectively conveys any of the PS4's many selling points.

Having a bunch of fun playing with friends!
I think they made it right!

Ishan

social aspect ... its a ad targeted at mainstream they dont care about tflops and ddrr5 etc etc ... they are trying to see the social aspect of consoles ... and well it worked on me made me think fuck it will be fun just playing fifa with 3 of my friends again ... eh but I guess im kind of an exception . i read up and post on boards ign but i also only but 1 2 games a year (tlou, uncharted, fifa those types) + use pc for cs and dota ... so i guess casual for consoles and more hardcore competitive for pcs ... and this ad worked for me.

Tabular

Banned

Well it highlights 2 PS4 exclusives: Killzone and Drive Club. Games that will appeal to casuals and MNF viewers.

Top Bottom