• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 OS Images Surface

To be fair, a lot of people will deal with these interfaces very often. OS's these days are VERY feature-packed. You may not use them, but the majority do.
Fair enough, but even if you're constantly using the UI to launch those features, you're only using it as a launching pad to get to what you're actually interested in.

I don't care what the diving board looks like, as long as it's functional and the pool is full.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think they did it right with XMB, is an easy to use interface and it goes directly to the point of what you want to do.

This new interface instead looks as caotic as many of the interfaces used in the smarthphone applications or other OS's. Like the current PSN store interface which is not intutive at all and very slow.

IMO they should only have improved the XMB.

I think they decided to ditch xmb a long time ago. My Sony TV XBR4 from 2007 had a variation of XMB but by the next year they had already scrapped it and moved to something else. Too bad. Having an XMB style unified interface on all Sony products would have been nice (ala PS3, PSP, Bravia...)

cakefoo

I think they did it right with XMB, is an easy to use interface and it goes directly to the point of what you want to do.

This new interface instead looks as caotic as many of the interfaces used in the smarthphone applications or other OS's. Like the current PSN store interface which is not intutive at all and very slow.

IMO they should only have improved the XMB.
XMB is fine if you like playing with a Rubik's cube and don't care about what's going on in the world around you.

What some people call "busy," "crowded," or "chaotic," I see as just enough of a broad array of relevant info easily navigable once you've grown familiar with the layout.

Broank

Actually looks decent in the mock-ups without the cheapo blue background. Still would have liked an evolution of the XMB personally.

Niks

4zzHeNg.jpg

Yeah this one still needs some work..maybe it needs more padding between each square... dunno

CimBom

Banned
All I'm saying is that you can't like one and hate the other - they are too similar. Now, having a preference is fine, but hate? Just shows you to be a biased fanboy

sums up the whole thread really. for some reason there's a massive circlejerk against the ps4 OS but praise for the ms OS when they both look similar. to say they don't look similar well then you must be blind. and whats even funnier is people complaining its "blue" lol yeah because you won't be able to change that right? just go look back a few pages and there is a different background other than the blue.

sums up the whole thread really. for some reason there's a massive circlejerk against the ps4 OS but praise for the ms OS when they both look similar. to say they don't look similar well then you must be blind. and whats even funnier is people complaining its "blue" lol yeah because you won't be able to change that right? just go look back a few pages and there is a different background other than the blue.

Well, the Xbone has to win at something, right? Even if it's just the OS' UI, I'm okay to let them have one victory.

Kidding. I'm sure the Xbone will do great.

Cipherr

Interesting.

Looks okay overall -- a bit too much blue though in my opinion.

This. I like the look, the blue color though is ehh... But it looks fine overall.

This mismash of tile sizes is horrible. Same garbage as the new PSN store.
playstation-4_2013_076yuc5.png

Looks terrible and difficult to navigate.

Yeah wow, I didn't see that one at first. I don't know why they don't go for more uniform card sizes on those. Its at least meagerly more attractive than Metro tiles, but still, damn. They should just rip the Google Now/Playstore card design. Make the cards more uniform.

Not a big deal or anything, but still.

Troll

Banned
If it stays the same, the PS4 is going to fill the screen full of ads. Just going by those screens of course.

Dante316

Hi all, my name is dan, im been finally approved as member after 2 months waiting :) excited to be here. As for the ps4 os it looks good but hopefully they show more at gamescon, at how it works

Not much of a monumental leap in UI other than layout. Personally digging the uniformity of "PlayStation blue" color scheme however :p

Still better than Windows 8 tiles IMO (even if it gets an over-exaggerated bad rap, XP still ultimate OS :)

PSYGN

Yeah, that blue is garish.

I think people also subconsciously link it to blue screen of death. It's just not a pretty blue. It's stark and swallows the elements it surrounds with harsh contrast.
A43tY7D.jpg
J9Tafqq.jpg

Also, that fractal/flare wave seems dated today, although aesthetically I have no real issues with it.

Vire

I dunno why the Xbox One has a pure black background for the home page by default.

Seems so cold and uninviting, I hope they change that.

xboxui_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Hi all, my name is dan, im been finally approved as member after 2 months waiting :) excited to be here. As for the ps4 os it looks good but hopefully they show more at gamescon, at how it works
OT: Hi Dan. I was finally approved today too. I've been lurking for years. Glad to meet you.

And yeah, Gamescom will hopefully have a ton of new info (including hopefully a release date).

SPDIF

Not much of a monumental leap in UI other than layout. Personally digging the uniformity of "PlayStation blue" color scheme however :p

Still better than Windows 8 tiles IMO (even if it gets an over-exaggerated bad rap, XP still ultimate OS :)

What's wrong with the Windows 8 tiles?

Vire

Does anyone know if the games listed besides Watch Dogs are ads for other "hot" upcoming games or games that are already installed onto the hard drive (wishful thinking right? :/ )

ii1R2HNmCp2qw.jpg

Alcander

Looks like a really bad knock off of metro. Sorry, PS4's hardware design is extremely sexy, but damn Sony really has no talent in the UX/UI design department -- its really obvious with nearly every piece of new hardware they put out. Yeesh.

Raymo

Does anyone know if the games listed besides Watch Dogs are ads for other "hot" upcoming games or games that are already installed onto the hard drive (wishful thinking right? :/ )

ii1R2HNmCp2qw.jpg

Looks like games on your harddrive. He has watch dogs selected and it says start. I imagine you go right and a similar screen will be displayed for the next game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also, that fractal/flare wave seems dated today, although aesthetically I have no real issues with it.
It's like some crummy 3d math function plot, and in style used here it looks dated. 7 year old XMB wave still looks far more contemporary and forward looking.

It probably won't stay like that. It would make no sense. Freaking PSP wave background looks better stylized than that. Probably... but I'm honestly a little worried the whole thing will be some damned HTML based UI, just like their current store.

Vire

Looks like games on your harddrive. He has watch dogs selected and it says start. I imagine you go right and a similar screen will be displayed for the next game.

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, that Watch_Dogs boxart is TERRIBLE. Guy holding gun game!

ii1R2HNmCp2qw.jpg
Not saying they wouldn't, but Sony isn't exactly known for plastering ads all over their UIs.

ii1R2HNmCp2qw.jpg
This looks great to me. I've been avoiding most screens since I like to explore this stuff the first time I boot up the console but after a quick look, I like it.

The most optimistic thing I can think to say is "I don't HATE it...."

Could be better. Get the iOS7 UI guys over there, or somebody from Google. Goes for MS + X1 as well.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

ii1R2HNmCp2qw.jpg
Installed items, you can see the browser listed on it in this screenshot.

Ad's go under the What's New social feed which falls under the orange square icon on the far left in the 2 images above.

Vire

Installed items, you can see the browser listed on it in this screenshot.

Ad's go under the What's New social feed which falls under the orange square icon on the far left in the 2 images above.

Well that makes me feel much better about all of this then.

If that's the case, I approve Sony!

Brofist

ii1R2HNmCp2qw.jpg

If those were ads that would be a terrible design. It has to be other installed games.

SPDIF

The most optimistic thing I can think to say is "I don't HATE it...."

Could be better. Get the iOS7 UI guys over there, or somebody from Google. Goes for MS + X1 as well.

The team that created the Metro inspired iOS7 should design the Metro UI on the Xbox?

Zoc

I want to see what the interface looks like with hundreds of games installed and zero friends listed - the way I like it.

zeopower6

Terrible? Tell that to Microsoft, they've been doing it that way for the past 5 years.

And...? If MS has been doing it for the last five years, that doesn't mean Sony'll do it at all. At the most, we'd probably get 'ads' in the What's New section.

says the person who has no fucking clue as to what the word generic actually means...

anyway, eh this looks to busy, I would much prefer the XMB just with upgraded performance, but for this I'll wait till I get it before I judge

It looks generic imo. How does that mean i don't know what it means.

Vire

And...? If MS has been doing it for the last five years, that doesn't mean Sony'll do it at all. At the most, we'd probably get 'ads' in the What's New section.

My point was that it wasn't unprecedented.

I'm hoping it's installed games, although I'm unsure how functional it would be if you have a hundred installed games.

Barzul

I prefer the Xbox One OS design, it's more minimalist and just meshes well together, can't really say the same for the Sony OS going by this picture. Maybe it's the blue.

Top Bottom