• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 OS Images Surface

RedAssedApe

Banned
My Xbone is going to start looking like my Windows desktop with all the unorganized pins :D

9b729a89-afd6-4388-a76d-bad3a683b43d.jpg

kasane

MS owns Skype, so probably won't see it on the PS4 - just a guess. Besides, you people are bitching about avatars, Skype will show the REAL you.

I can just see the insecure combing their hair before sitting down in front of the Kinect...

Its on Vita

cakefoo

That image looks like a clusterfuck to me, shit is all over the place.
Same goes with the friends feedback page or whatever, I totally dislike how messy it looks.
It's better to showcase some of this social info because some of us care what our friends are doing.

patchday

oh please dont have those lame beacons like Xbox 360 live. If you do, then please at least allow me to turn them off Sony....

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
As a graphic designer, who does a lot of UI work, that motherfucking blue is simply WRONG.

RedAssedApe

Banned
9354418206_1c4073e272_z.jpg

My friends list is going to look just like that!

Seriously now. I know it's marketing and what not but this makes me gag. Does Sony really think gamers look like that?

Now sure what you are implying? That gamers are ugly or that people don't pose like that for that for their profiles pics? But check out the GAF post your pic thread...lotta good looking GAFers...that and plenty of people pose for their profile pics. Trust me...if PS4 integrates with Facebook you'll be seeing plenty of this lol

S¡mon;72437041 said:
Wait, is that pins-tab real? And we're complaining about PS4 showing too much?

The image was directly pulled from:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xboxone/what-it-does

RedAssedApe

Banned
As a graphic designer, who does a lot of UI work, that motherfucking blue is simply WRONG.

The blue looks a lot more subdued in the video? But yeah I don't really like the blue. XMB allowed you to change background colors so I expected the same for PS4.

I love the PS4 as a piece of tech but the OS needs work. The Xbone OS doesn't just look more aesthetically pleasing but also more functional.

CimBom

Banned
strong overreaction by everyone, imo it looks great. it looks similar to xbox os only thing is its blue which you can 100% change if you don't like it

cfc8fb744f624bee892d66f876706003.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that "Launch at PS4" along the top mean I can turn on my PS4 and launch a game using my phone/tablet? Not that I can see any real use for that, but it's cool nonetheless.

fixuis

Ughhhh hate it!! Give me my updated XMB Sony!! Too much blue everywhere!! Damn metro..first they screw up the ps store , now this pos pops up.

jono51

Banned
XBox One

xboxui_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

PS4

_bmUploads_2013-02-28_1567_Screen_010-580-90.jpg

They are both essentially the same... boxes on a black or blue background

Just at a first glance, the XB UI looks more organised and easy to navigate thanks to the category bar at the top. I'm not sure exactly what part of the PS4 UI that is supposed to be -- is it the home? If so, are they really just going to dump *everything* (I can see a web browser and video player there) in one long line of scrolling icons? Won't that become a pain in the ass once you have a ton of stuff installed/played on your box? The background pattern is questionable but it seems that can be changed. The mobile stuff looks pretty great though.

daveo42

Banned
cfc8fb744f624bee892d66f876706003.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that "Launch at PS4" along the top mean I can turn on my PS4 and launch a game using my phone/tablet? Not that I can see any real use for that, but it's cool nonetheless.

It'd probably be useful to boot and and start downloading games or w/e when you are on your way home. I see little to know reason why you'd need it otherwise.

I'm fine with the design for the most part. Not exactly sure what else they could do to make it better other than going back to the XMB or something.

VanWinkle

This is atrocious. What is the appeal of giant tiles? I. don't. get. it.

You can't please everyone. That's just the simple truth. I see people all the time say the XMB is atrocious. Can't make everybody happy. I'm more open-ended about this stuff myself. I think both look great.

Rashid

Banned
Bloody hell, in the other Sony can't design OS's thread practically everyone hates the XMB and everything it stood for, now everyone prefers it over this new OS. I for one prefer the xbone OS design.

trmas

Banned
All I'm saying is that you can't like one and hate the other - they are too similar. Now, having a preference is fine, but hate? Just shows you to be a biased fanboy

Kyoufu

All I'm saying is that you can't like one and hate the other - they are too similar. Now, having a preference is fine, but hate? Just shows you to be a biased fanboy

The best part of this thread is "I hate that background that we can change".

zeopower6

Bloody hell, in the other Sony can't design OS's thread practically everyone hates the XMB and everything it stood for, now everyone prefers it over this new OS. I for one prefer the xbone OS design.

What? There were maybe a dozen people at the most who hated the XMB and everyone else liked it in that thread unless you chose to ignore all the posts that said "I love the XMB"....

cakefoo

This mismash of tile sizes is horrible. Same garbage as the new PSN store.
playstation-4_2013_076yuc5.png

Looks terrible and difficult to navigate.
It's a social feed, so just like facebook. Each update can be different shapes and sizes depending on the format and content.

I just don't get what all the hullabaloo is about anyway. I know the PS4 (and I assume the Xbone) has that "instant on" feature, where you pick up right where you left off at the tap of a button. So how often are you looking at this screen anyway?

xboxui_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Comparison with similar backgrounds. PS4 all the way.

They look very similar. Its definitely hard to argue that one OS is much better than the other.

Many of the complaints of the PS4 OS are very apparent in the Xbone OS as well, such as empty space and different sized windows.
Hopefully the PS4 isn't filled with ads since that's the one I'm buying.

VanWinkle

I just don't get what all the hullabaloo is about anyway. I know the PS4 (and I assume the Xbone) has that "instant on" feature, where you pick up right where you left off at the tap of a button. So how often are you looking at this screen anyway?

To be fair, a lot of people will deal with these interfaces very often. OS's these days are VERY feature-packed. You may not use them, but the majority do.

Dex815

I think they did it right with XMB, is an easy to use interface and it goes directly to the point of what you want to do.

This new interface instead looks as caotic as many of the interfaces used in the smarthphone applications or other OS's. Like the current PSN store interface which is not intutive at all and very slow.

IMO they should only have improved the XMB.

Top Bottom