• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quake next Friday at Quakecon?

onesvenus

It seems the Quakecon website talks about a revitalized Quake.
Now the question is what does that mean?
Both iD and Machine Games seem to be involved. Maybe it's a reimagining of it?

Screenshot from here
jLkBAOb.png

Last edited by a moderator:

CamHostage

"...additional content Machine Games have contributed to this revitalized edition" ?

Sounds like it's a re-release (remastered? reimagined? just re-release on PC/console with new DLC?) of an old Quake with new level packs or character skins or whatever add-ins created by MachineGames, no? Could be cool, a tribute edition with ID teams contributing maps or content to make it special.

Last edited:

ZehDon

New release that's a source port with RT - similar to the Quake 2 RTX release Nvidia put together - but all of the mission packs and soundtracks included... I'd pay an obscene amount of money.

fatmarco

I hope its a Quake1 remake.
Not interested in a remaster because they can't do anything that has not been done already with mods.
To be fair we haven't had a console port of Quake 1 since the Nintendo 64 in 1998, and that was 23 years ago so at the very least the original version on multiple systems is due.

And then as far as Quake 2 we haven't had a port since that bonus disc on Quake 4 for the 360, which almost doesn't count and it was 16 years ago.

Christ to think it's actually been 23 years and 16 years respectively that both games have been on a console is disgraceful considering Doom and Duke Nukem 3D get a new version every generation.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
Watch it be a totally new Quake next-gen only with SP campaign.

It's about the Strogg

Wish Monkey Paw GIF by Leroy Patterson

Last edited:

Mess

I wouldn't read too much into it, maybe a RT client for Q1 with a new campain or something...

The Quake brand is nowhere as strong as it used to be and is mainly arena shooter with signature mechanics (advanced and continous movement akin to bh, strafejump, ...). Quake Champions came out in 2017 iirc, tried to embrace that legacy and didn't really find an audience despite a big cash prize tournament at QCon. Quake purist hated the champions and new duel rules and when they switched back to traditionnal duel, the newcomers to arena shooters lost knew they would never catch up with the oldguard who had been playing the game for 20 years...

Calverz

Gold Member
Seems like this will just be a upgraded port of the pc original. Shame as i would have preferred a remake. Il still take this though

Machine Games already did release an additional episode for Q1 couple of months back. If they did the same thing now, it wouldn't make any sense to give this it's own panel at the con.

Xyphie

I don't expect much. Source port with expansions plus the episode MachineGames did for the 20th anniversary.

Sophist

Back in june, there was rumor of a Quake reboot with a girl as the main character.

The rumor was covered on The XboxEra Podcast by insider Shpeshal Nick, who covered its developers, genre, and possible protagonist. He notes that he received a Discord message detailing this new Quake game that will allegedly not be only developed by id Software, but will be assisted by MachineGames. The latter company was responsible for rebooting the Wolfenstein series, starting with Wolfenstein: The New Order. Shpeshal Nick goes on to report the game will be both a single-player and multiplayer affair.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
If is old style with a good single-player Quake, yes. We have too much arena shooters now. Even fucking Quake Champion was launched not so long ago

niilokin

Would be interesting if its the dark gothic quake, in QC the death knight and maybe sorlag and scalebearer fit the og quake universe?

WitchHunter

Banned
It seems the Quakecon website talks about a revitalized Quake.
Now the question is what does that mean?
Both iD and Machine Games seem to be involved. Maybe it's a reimagining of it?

Screenshot from here
jLkBAOb.png
"It meant so much for us. Our childhood, the echoes of slaughter and laughter mixed is simply unforgettable. Ah, fuck it!

Now, we'll present Quake I Remastered with id Tech 6, with MegaTextures new story elements, rewriten dialogues and collectables.

John Romero will do a cameo appearance while John Carmack will appear as a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu martial artist god. And we'll also add Paul Steed's never before released low neckline models too."

MiguelItUp

Nothing has felt more legitimate thus far other than the schedule stuff. So, guess we'll find out next week. :)

I'm hyped AF, honestly. Just hoping for the best across the board. Especially since Quake is my baby.

If this was messed up in a way, omg the backlash would be horrendous, lol.

Top Bottom