• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Retro Arcade: Neon |OT|

vermadas

NMXezo0.jpg

Developer: Digital Cybercherries
Platforms: Windows PC
Stores: Steam
Price: $24.99 USD | 10% launch week discount ends 2016-08-08
VR Support: Oculus Rift, HTC Vive | Seated, Standing, Room-scale | Controller, Tracked motion controllers, KB+M
Launch trailer: https://youtu.be/hP7KCFRXNVQ
System Requirements:
Notes: New Retro Arcade Neon supports non-VR, as well as all VR headsets, however motion controllers are recommended for the optimum gameplay experience.
Storage: 5 GB available space

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel i5-4590
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i7-4770
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 980

Additional Links:
Facebook page
Twitter
SubReddit
Steam discussions

What is New Retro Arcade: Neon?
Digital Cybercherries said:
New Retro Arcade: Neon brings the golden age of gaming back to life as you are transported to the 80’s and early 90’s; where the fun and laughter began.
Download your own ROM’s and use our Arcade Builder to create your perfect emulator frontend. And on top of that, you and your friends have the choice to play more than 10 diverse mini games.
Pick up a pair of light guns and head straight into the all new Aimbot and Zombie Problem II cabinets. Classics games such as Air Hockey, Skeeball, Whack a Mole and One Punch Boxing are also available! There’s a projector room for watching videos on, bowling lanes for a game of ten-pin, basketball machines, darts, playable guitars, drum machines and more!

What can I customize in my arcade?
- Arcade machine games, control panel layouts, attract screen image, and cabinet art on a limited number of stand-up cabinets.
- Console game color and label art on a limited number of cartridges
- Mock GameBoys are lying around the arcade. They meant to work with the Gambette GameBoy/GBC libretro core. They each can be assigned one ROM.
- Streaming music can played on a boom box on an arcade. Radio stations can be customized to cassettes.
- VCR cassette tapes can have movie files or youtube links assigned to them to be played on a projector.
- Posters around the arcade can display your own images.

What is the difference between the demo and the full game?
The demo is an updated version of the older Oculus DK2 compatible releases. The full game includes a new arcade layout (with the original "classic" one still being an option) and a configuration menu that can be accessed within the arcade. The new layout adds multiplayer support, more motion controller games, the projector room, and a couple arcade games designed by the devs.

What does multiplayer let you do?
Share your arcade with up to five other players. **You CANNOT play games with user supplied ROMs with other players :(**

Is there a guide to get started?
This is for the demo, but is still mostly applicable: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewRetroArcade/comments/4q7cdy/how_to_guide_for_begginers/d4w5dio
On SteamCommunity: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736005082

Which libretro cores are supported?
mame2014
SNES: bsnes_performance
NES: bnes
Genesis / Mega Drive: picodrive **Currently only functional on Win7**
GameBoy/GBC: gambatte

Where do I get ROMs?
Don't ask here.

Miscellaneous
There are several outstanding bugs as of the game's release. You can keep track of them on the dev's Trello board here:
https://trello.com/b/xc1WU1Fx

If you think you've found a new one, post it here. The devs are pretty active on the Steam community forum:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/465780/discussions/1/

Just in case the discussion veers down a certain path, here's an excerpt from GAF's ToS:
D. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy in the context of the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

2016-08-03 16:15 update

If you have a customized arcade in the demo and want to get the full version back up your XML configuration files in the Content folder or you will lose them.

Note that if you're copy/pasting XML from the demo to the full version, omit the ".dll" in the <Core> values.

There are several arcade cabinets that can be set up, that work in the "Classic"/demo area, that will not show up anywhere in the Neon layout. If someone doesn't get to this before I do, I plan on creating a cabinet map to tell which ones are included and where they are placed.

2016-08-04 14:40 update
When they designed the Neon layout, they left out eight of the cabinets from the Classic room. They will probably update the configuration tool to show a map of the new layout, but until then, I created this:
http://i.imgur.com/GOmiMy8.png
Cabinets that are missing: 0,4,5,6,11,14,17,21

2016-09-01 14:10 update
This will be my last update since this topic isn't really popular.

Well maintained and super informative Steam Community guide
I HIGHLY recommend this guide for information about:
- Arcade layout
- Cabinet art templates
- Screenshots of control panel configurations
- Grids for designing your own control panel layouts

Tried the old Oculus Rift demo back then - This thing was absolutely incredible and easily the best way to play emulators apart from the real deal. Moving closer to one of the arcades in there and seeing the scanlines and the noise and everything is surreal.

Pretty slick UI, reminds me a lot of the new Genesis Collection UI. How do the MAME roms work? Does this play nice with CPS1/2 stuff?

Sorry for the double post, but I've gotten my mame roms up and running in the demo version but the in game fps counter only hits about 30-40 so I guess this is what is cause the slowdown in game. I have a GTX 970 and the game is running at 1080p so I'm wondering what is causing the slowdown. Any ideas?

edit: got it, just had to mess with the in game graphics settings. This is super cool!

tobactrac

Neo Member
This looks great. When I saw that teaser back when it was first revealed, I was super impressed with the graphical fidelity. Glad to see it still looks great despite the few(?) years since.

Also dibs on opening an arcade in 20 years that hands out hats resembling in-game VR headsets to every patron who wants to experience a "blast from the past."

elyetis

Seems like it got great potential.
Just hope :
What does multiplayer let you do?
Share your arcade with up to five other players. **You CANNOT play games with user supplied ROMs with other players :(** Will update with more info later
Will quickly get resolved, because that's a pretty big deal breaker.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Then why would I pay 25 dollars for this and not just keep the demo?
...well, the second arcade is awesome and has a lot of new features and things to mess with it. It's much larger with more rooms including a dedicated cinema room that can be customized with YouTube vids or files on your PC. You can share YT vids with friends, which is nice, but obviously files on your PC won't work.

Honestly, I've just enjoyed this so much over the years on DK2 and now CV1 that I was happy to pay for the product. I really wanted to support the work they've done since this has remained one of my favorite VR experiences.

Multiplayer is still a lot of fun, though, as it's a great place to hang out with friends. There are games you can play together, at least.

Sharing roms, though? Even if you each have the same roms, I can see why that's difficult to implement. Would be amazing if they could get that working, though.

vermadas

There was a patch yesterday evening:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/465780/announcements/detail/832423413648630170
  • Fixed VR positioning of the Drum Machine, Polaroid Camera and Zombie Problem 2 lightgun.
  • Fixed ESC key quitting the game, this now teleports players to the menu cab.
  • Fixed the boxing machine being overly loud in the projector room.
  • Fixed in-game res scale, this will now save the settings.
  • Fixed HTC Vive D-Pad issues relating to the left controller.
  • Fixed Zombie Problem 2, zombie animation networking.
  • Fixed Zombie Problem 2 end goal and round restarting
  • Fixed Zombie Problem 2 reloading.

• Fixed joystick and button layouts for Aimbot cabinets.
  • Fixed the Gamebros, these are now fully working.
  • Fixed video files loosing sync with sound.
  • Fixed Arcade Cabinet prompts

• Added 'mid screens' for arcade cabs, to help identify cabinets without games.

I wonder why the controller options are so "broken"/why it doesnt use 360 buttons.

It always shows "Press ControllerSpecialButtonRight" or sth. like that, but it doesnt even fit in the box, so you have "Press ControllerSpB" or sth. like that...

I messed around with my MAME roms yesterday jut an FYI for anyone using this, try to keep your 3D fps over 60, preferably over 120 as the MAME framerate is tied to the 3D environment. Anything under 60 will give you slowdown in the arcade games. Otherwise this is a pretty rad MAME front end.

vermadas

When they designed the Neon layout, they left out eight of the cabinets from the Classic room. They will probably update the configuration tool to show a map of the new layout, but until then, I created this:
GOmiMy8.png

Cabinets that are missing: 0,4,5,6,11,14,17,21

Hopefully they add another room or two so these can return.

Edit:

Of course, only after I take the time to map this out this morning do I find out someone else had already done it only hours before. And with a much more thorough map!
Neon said:
Classic said:
Credit to:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/patrickcentral

vermadas

Another patch earlier today:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/465780/announcements/detail/832424246974884800

Here are the latest patch notes:
Added Bar Area to Neon map.
Added games console trigger input, right trigger should no longer press 'B'.
Added more Arcade Cabinets, Gamebros & VHS Tapes to maps.
&#8195;
Added map overviews to the ArcadeBuilder with item locations.
Added fixed Prompt system for controllers. (This will not affect your current XML files. To configure the additional cabinets and VHS Tapes in the Builder, you will need to revert to the new .defaults files or edit your existing XMLs to include the new items.)

Added Added VoIP prompt system. (See the options menu for your default key.)
Added Added customizable VHS Tape labels.
Added Added support for DualShock4.

Fixed multiplayer servers not properly ending sessions.
Fixed Keybinding locking up the screen.
Fixed controller prompts, these should now be displayed correctly.
Fixed Bowling Alley scoring and sounds.
Fixed Boxing Machine hit detection for motion controllers.
Fixed stat based achivements not correctly registering.
Fixed Server Hosts hearing multiple flashlight sounds.

Updated the Projector networking to increase stability and added a video quality override for lower speed connections. To enable lower quality video simply add the following text to your steam launch option: -lowvideotest.

Added High Quality Audio Tracks for the Soundtrack (Files are now available as FLAC)
Added 5 Playalong Audio Tracks for the guitar (sorted by different skill levels):

You can download them by visiting the link below:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1357989/NRAN Playbacks.zip

Thank you so much for sticking by us. As our slogan states; we are Powered By You.

Your Community Manager Joe and the rest of The Digital Cybercherries team.

vermadas

NewRetroArcade's base price has been reduced to $19.99 USD.

Dev news posting

Dear Community,

As some of you might have already noticed we have reduced the price of New Retro Arcade: Neon. We took this decision as it was suggested by a sizable portion of our community that the release price was too high.

We know that lowering the price is not ideal for anyone who bought the game in the past few days and suggest potentially refunding and rebuying the game to those people. For everyone else who bought the game early we want to give something special as we really appreciate the huge support and patience you’ve shown us.

The exclusive content will go live in the next update – It’s only available to those who bought the game during August but you’re still able to directly share it with your friends. We’re aware that this sounds a tad cryptic but we don’t want to spoil the surprise ahead of time.

Finally we’d like to extend our sincere thanks and gratitude to the community - already Neon has a vast number of users going out of their way to help others, suggest improvements to the game and assist the Mods. We hope that more people will share their Arcade experiences and the New Retro Arcade community will continue to thrive.

Your Community Manager Joe & the rest of the Digital Cybercherries team.

Top Bottom