• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryse: Son of Rome combat vidoc and singleplayer footage

ryse1_by_mrpetros-d6tdou6.gif

Did he just stab him in the ass?

Jesus Christ...that's fucking awesome!

ironcreed

Banned
Nope, you can see his loin cloth move up around the groin area when he gets stabbed. Definitely a butt stab.

BUTT STAB INTO THE PENIS AND OUT

Jesus...

Hm, could be. Which is even worse.

Anyway, there are some amazing moves in this game. There was one in the stream yesterday where he rolled underneath a swing and reached back to stab right in the hamstring. The facial animation and expressive grimaces going on there just added to how visceral it was. Truly good stuff.

I don't understand the difference between arkham's combat and ryse's combat. They look very similar (press "Q" over and over to melee and "H" to do a takedown), yet everyone seems to like arkham's and despise ryse's.

p3tran

Banned
I don't understand the difference between arkham's combat and ryse's combat. They look very similar (press "Q" over and over to melee and "H" to do a takedown), yet everyone seems to like arkham's and despise ryse's.

I guess.. shit happens ;D

daedalius

I usually like games like this, will probably get. Doesn't hurt it looks absolutely amazing.

Hopefully it has some sort of score attack mode, or wave based coliseum(palace of blood, etc) to see how far you can get.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Okay, I'm almost 90% sure I'll be getting this. I'll probably wait for more final reviews/impressions before making the actual purchase, but it looks really good, is a great showcase title for the Xbox One, has franchise potential, and the combat doesn't look bad (it doesn't look necessarily great either).

I personally think the combat would be much better if the executions could fail, but then again I haven't played it and maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps the points-based system in the executions matter a lot in this game so failing them is still losing out.

I think it's more or less to do with the fact that there are certain aspects to Ryse's combat that you can't fail whereas the timing in Arkham's combat does matter. However, I noticed the similarity between the two combat systems (appearance wise) and that's the part of the combat that I like so that isn't a reason I think the combat might be iffy at all. It's just the no fail state executions that I personally have a problem with right now (although I know you have to block and whatnot).

It is not everyone.

I have seen positive previews from Gamespot, Adam Sessler (Rev3), Geoff Keighly, Ben Kuchera (Penny Arcade report), the Escapist, Inquirer, Polygon, and Gametrailers.

The negative impressions that I am aware of are Game Informer, Joystiq, and Shack News.

So the impressions are mixed. I would not let the GAF echo chamber get to you.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Arkham is very versatile, you have a bunch of gadgets and such to play with within a single combo, Ryse is more limited there. But Batman starts to shine in the endgame when enemies are picking up guns, enemies have stun rods, shields, knives, etc. so you have to be aware of each enemy and control the battlefield. Ryse is keeping a lot under wraps with enemy variety as we have only seemingly seen the early stuff with the stream the other day saying there are animal enemies.

Now, the people just shitposting this as a QTE while praising Batman elsewhere would be ridiculous.

I think it's more or less to do with the fact that there are certain aspects to Ryse's combat that you can't fail whereas the timing in Arkham's combat does matter. However, I noticed the similarity between the two combat systems (appearance wise) and that's the part of the combat that I like so that isn't a reason I think the combat might be iffy at all. It's just the no fail state executions that I personally have a problem with right now (although I know you have to block and whatnot).

I would try to think of the executions more akin to Batman takedowns. The moment you hit the buttons to do that you will take out an enemy with a more elaborate animation while being invulnerable, it's mechanically pretty similar though Ryse is going more over the top with them.

The biggest issue I can see with Ryse is repetition. Batman has predator encounters as the main break up on top of side content, but so far it doesn't seem like there's much here beyond fighting(or the formation stuff which is still offensive based pace wise). I can imagine even if it ends up fun that can really wear someone down over the game, but it depends how levels mix it up I suppose.

Are these gameplay vids how the game is going to sound in the final release? There's a huge lack of a score in these battle sequences. Some Castlevania: Lords of Shadow-esque orchestral work could go a long way in giving the game some energy.

I'm still not sold on this having a combo like system either. This setting and these character models seem much more fit for a brutal game where 2 or 3 nasty hits means death, and a lot of the skill would come from dodging, blocking, and controlling the enemy numbers.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I would try to think of the executions more akin to Batman takedowns. The moment you hit the buttons to do that you will take out an enemy with a more elaborate animation while being invulnerable, it's mechanically pretty similar though Ryse is going more over the top with them.

I just watched the actual GameTrailers preview and impressions and the way they explained it made me more receptive to it. I actually like the idea now and see where you're coming from. The battle is essentially over by the time execution mode comes around and then it's like a mini-game to see how fast and correctly you can hit the buttons in order to get more and more points. Also, interrupting executions could make the game combat's flow feel off too.

The biggest issue I can see with Ryse is repetition. Batman has predator encounters as the main break up on top of side content, but so far it doesn't seem like there's much here beyond fighting(or the formation stuff which is still offensive based pace wise). I can imagine even if it ends up fun that can really wear someone down over the game, but it depends how levels mix it up I suppose.

This is now my main concern. Repetition could kill this combat. The game is very pretty, but the gameplay should never be boring.

Also, I hope they tune up a lot of the animations. Animations are particularly noticeable with a game this pretty.

Say what you will about the gameplay, but this game truly is a visual marvel. It will be worth it just to walk around and gawk.
With visuals like these, what is there to be worried about? Even if this was the ceiling for next gen, or for the Xbox One, I would be more than OK with it. Incredible.
Great googly moogly!
The game looks great, but that Rome flythrough is almost certainly rendered at a higher resolution than the actual game. Compare 1:17 and after with the high-bitrate video of gameplay we've seen in that same setting.

The assets and effects are still awesome, but the image quality will not hit this.

malfcn

I went from not really wanting this game, to really wanting this game. This is the stuff they should have showed earlier (if possible).

Hawk269

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R6DAFDYXZ4

Twitch presentation uploaded to youtube. Beginning cutscene was amazing.

Thanks for posting that. I did not know the game had hidden collectibles and areas to explore off the beaten path which is a great thing. Game looks freaking amazing and the lighting is just unreal.

This should also put an end to the cut scenes being not in-game to a rest. The scene when he gets to the beach and all the ship crashing and then it transitions to gameplay was seamless and looked great.

Legendary gif.

the hud sucks ass and it's probably gonna play awful too but damn the game looks beautiful for sure. I hope another developer takes a stab at this setting with these kinds of animation in a few years.

I'm really looking forward to this game because it's (a) a new franchise; (b) it's set in a period of history that interests me; (c) looks a lot of fun to play (hey, I'm easily pleased!); and (d) it looks absolutely gorgeous visually. I love story-driven games far more than I do multiplayer so this looks very much like my kind of game, not that I'm expecting it to be a classic or anything.

One thing that does disappoint me from the videos I've seen is that while you can dismember enemies and stuff, I've seen swords go through bodies then went it is pulled out there's no wound which is kind of jarring when the game actually slows down enough to make this rather obvious. You'd think with the next-gen power they'd have been able to do guts hanging out, cuts and so on to make it more realistic. Or are those things missing for censorship reasons?

My problem with this game is how quickly he throws that shield around. It doesn't matter how many enemies there are it looks like you can spam that shield button and never get hit.

Ricky_R

Thanks for posting that. I did not know the game had hidden collectibles and areas to explore off the beaten path which is a great thing. Game looks freaking amazing and the lighting is just unreal.

This should also put an end to the cut scenes being not in-game to a rest. The scene when he gets to the beach and all the ship crashing and then it transitions to gameplay was seamless and looked great.

Not saying that cut-scenes are pre-rendered, but the opening intro went into a loading black screen just before that very short cinematic that transitioned seamlessly into gameplay.

Looks marvelous either way, specially when the gameplay started which is better.

I've just watched all of that 27 minute video in 1080p and I think I want the game more than ever now! Sure, it might 'only' be running at 900p but graphically the game still looks astounding in terms of textures, character modelling and environmental detail. The animation is also very impressive, bar some awkward transitions such as the way your character will suddenly appear to skate from one enemy to the next. Gameplay looks fine to me but I hope that they have a colour-blind mode for the finishing moves because while I can see blue just fine, yellow/green/red are harder for me to see due me being red/green colour blind. I can the colours when they're solid and on the screen for more than a split second but in Ryse the enemies flash a colour so I suspect I may struggle to see them properly.

Would it get repetitive? Undoubtedly it would if you played it from start to finish in one sitting but then God of War and its ilk do as well. Ryse: Son of Rome is a game I would likely play one chapter of per day inbetween all the other games. I've a feeling that I'm going to really enjoy it. It seems to have a real 'Spartacus' vibe to the combat. Looks a lot of fun.

Tsukumo

I really don't understand the hate that this game gets. That stream looked flat out fantastic.

There's people who want to hate it, plain and simple.
The only real issue with this game is whether they nailed the timing of fighting like Rockesteady or missed it like WB Montreal and all of Ubisoft products. This type of fighting mechanic is really tricky and the only people who (almost) got it right, outside of Rockesteady, are the Next Level guys who made Captain America Super Soldier.
Ubisoft basically came up with the whole idea for freeflow but, amazingly enough, after TEN YEARS of games pushed towards aesthetical fighting, they didn't nailed it ONCE. Not even once!
Some of the things I've seen in the streams make Ryse look like a natural heir (outside some horrid collision detection issues Rockesteady would have never let slip through) but then again I thought the same of Arkham Origins and once I got a hold on the game I had to face the harsh truth: they introduced a significant level of difficulty but at the expense of the true appeal of previous Arkham games, which is owning with style and look like a bad-ass. THAT is something you can only attest once you play a game first-hand: unfortunately Crytek has made a really, really dumb decision not to deploy a demo, and now they are in the hands of "professional" reviewers and youtube kids.
People who were around when the 8s and the 9s came for Dragon Age 2 or recently witnessed the Arkham Origins debacle from most sites, probably know that doesn't spell well for a game which, for whatever reason, has been chosen to represent the value of a console, as if the faults of Microsoft somehow lay onto people who produce games for them. It's messed up.
Still Day one for me, but if this game fails the main fault will lie in Crytek's "strategy" to not release a demo and put their money where their mouth is. It would have laid many minds to rest and sedated the game's biggest detractors, making it impossible for "professional" journalists to come up with negative hyperboles and severely damage Ryse's image.

Luthos

Not to pick on Ryse specifically, but I'm getting tired of games where bullets and stab wounds don't leave a mark. Like you can see him stab someone, pull the sword out, and the enemy's torso looks untouched. At the very least, make a red circle or something to show that someone got stabbed there.

Top Bottom