• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots of cancelled Half-Life title from Arkane Studios

Sliver

Episode 4 AKA Return to Ravenholm. This was apparently being developed between 2006-2007 by Arkane Studios, but ultimately ceased development. Some screenshots were leaked around three years ago, and just recently some more were found in some dudes portfolio.
...these new screenshots come to us via the personal portfolio of Robert Wilinski, a Senior Environment Artist at Arkane Studios between 2007 and 2008, who was likely an important component within the “Return to Ravenholm” and “The Crossing” projects. A deeper discussion of these screenshots can be found in the Spotlight Exclusive episode listed above, but feel free to take a closer look at all 11 new screenshots below! The final two screenshots we've included also highlight The Crossing, so check them out too! If you don’t know what The Crossing is or why you should care, be sure to check out our previous episode covering the topic!

Quote from Marc Laidlaw on "Episode 4":
...there was indeed a project called Return to Ravenholm. We are big fans of Arkane and wanted to come up with a project we could work on together. We threw ideas around, they built some cool stuff, but we eventually decided that it didn’t make sense to pursue it at the time. As I recall, we felt like a lot of the staples of Ravenholm–headcrabs and zombies!–were pretty much played out, and the fact that it would have to take place sometime before the end of Episode 2 (so as not to advance beyond where Valve had pushed the story) was a creative constraint that would hamper the project…and Arkane.

Here's a few:
pDD67ft.png

NQOUl8U.png

FOklCmm.png

Link to all of them and a video: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/ne...evealed-valvetime-spotlight-exclusive.246580/

injurai

Banned
I swear I've seen these before a long time ago. At least screenshots have leaked multiple times from it. It was basically meant to be ep.4 and of course ep.3 never came.

Explains why Dishonored had that Half-Life feel with the Art.

Yeah, same lead artist. Must have made connections with them during this spurt of development.

MayMay

Banned
Ahhh lovely, nice that we're at least getting stuff about EP4 while EP3 rots in the void.

Always interesting to look at that stuff.

Yukinari

So why didnt Valve just hire Arkane to do the bulk of the work on Half Life while having a supporting role to make sure the games are of the quality we expect?

They cant even be bothered to direct someone to do the work for them anymore?

i was thinking..do you guys think the reason Valve in general has been reluctant to release half life 3 is because there waiting for some type of groundbreaking technology, game mechanic etc.

i honestly think HL 3, in their minds, has to be a groundbreaking game like 1 and 2 were, it just can't be another great game to them...

Dennis

Banned
So why didnt Valve just hire Arkane to do the bulk of the work on Half Life while having a supporting role to make sure the games are of the quality we expect?

Because this way they hurt us more.

Dennis

Banned
i was thinking..do you guys think the reason Valve in general has been reluctant to release half life 3 is because there waiting for some type of groundbreaking technology, game mechanic etc.

i honestly think HL 3, in their minds, has to be a groundbreaking game like 1 and 2 were, it just can't be another great game to them...

HL3 VR is a go then.

That was what I thought it might be. Then CSGO and Dota exploded and now I feel more like they just don't give a damn when they have that much cash.

Half-Life has been dead for almost 10 years.

Just let it go.

Episode 2 came out 8 years ago. Half-Life has only been dead around 5-6 years, dude.

Mark explains it. It didn't fit their schedules and they wouldn't be free enough to make a product worthy of the investment.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This really, really hurts.

Isn't it a reboot. It's not even iD. Still looks awesome to me, but it's dividing a lot of people.
It's still by id and it is a reboot, but at least the franchise is back after a long time. The same will happen to Half-Life if there is enough interest in the franchise.

tuxfool

Banned
None of these screenshots summon up any notion of being in Ravenholm. They just look like a bunch of industrial rooms. They could be anywhere in city 17.

But seriously, when is Half Life 3 or Left for Dead 3 coming? Or something that's not MOBA.. I'm not hip with the MLG kiddos, I don't want thaaayaaat.

"it would have to take place sometime before the end of Episode 2 (so as not to advance beyond where Valve had pushed the story) was a creative constraint that would hamper the project… and Arkane."

So nothing of value was lost?

Yazzees

Shame this couldn't see the light of day, but at this point I'm pretty convinced anything like this, let alone Half-Life 3 itself, will simply never happen.

I kinda want to play through Half Life 2 but I'm tempted to wait until 3 is announced.

I did play the first and bits of the second though.

3 is never coming. I don't know why you guys do this to yourself. After all these years, it's just not gonna happen. It'll be another Duke Nukem situation at best. Whatever we think in our heads it'll be, it won't.

Top Bottom