• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SHADOW OF THE BEAST (PS4) concept art; details

Amir0x

Banned
Ya beat me to it, you slippery bastard!

Anyway, really happy it's not dead. One of my most anticipated games on PS4. Really hope get some footage early in the new year with an Autumn/Winter release.

that's why i so quickly jumped on making a topic, when I read the site I was like 'oh shit it's actually still alive, wooo'

Interesting that the artwork is clearly inspired by the Roger Dean artwork that actually had nothing to do with the games.

Psygnosis had the most gorgerous covers ever though.

Stike

damn dude, that is awesome.
All I've got left from Beast I and Beast II are the disks.
Thanks! I lost the shirt of the first game X( and aside the shirts only have the disks left. Wish I had kept the boxes for proper scanning :(

Looking def. forward to that game. Seems like the art is a semi-remake of sorts. If done right, the backstory could be blown up to Kratos-levels of a revenge tale. I hope for proper storytelling.

Would love to submit ideas and suggestions to the devs :-/

I admit it was stupidly difficult, with some ridiculous trail-and-error gameplay, however I can only think of a handful of other games with that amount of incredible atmosphere. The music, the graphics, just the FEEL of these games made them worth playing, despite the frustration.

Santar

I've been thinking about this game lately, feared that it was dead, so great to hear it's not! :)
Not really any new info about the game in that article though but the concept art looks nice.
I'm still very curious as to what exactly the gameplay will be like.

I'm assuming this will not be a full 3d type game? More of a side scroller?

Loved the artstyle in the teaser + here so I'm interested in seeing more hopefully soon

My buddy is working on this! I barely know anything about it, other than the team is really small. Intrigued to see how this game turns out.

Elandyll

Banned
Not to be rude, but isn't the original SotB considered something of a... well, kusoge? I mean even at the time it was new, it wasn't anywhere near the quality of other games in the same genre. It'll be interesting to see how they modernize this one.

It may have been frustratingly punishing and difficult, but SotB was top tier in its AV presentation (both graphics and music), and ground breaking in the parallax scrolling tech used (12 levels).

The original had some fantastic music indeed. I'd love for this to have a good atmosphere and presentation. Something minimalistic but powerful, like Another World or Journey. I'm a bit skeptic about this, just somehow feels like it might turn out like the Flashback remake.

It may have been frustratingly punishing and difficult, but SotB was top tier in its AV presentation (both graphics and music), and ground breaking in the parallax scrolling tech used (12 levels).
This. Amiga gfx were god tier in the late 80's and the SotB games were some of the first to utilize the pOWAr!

small budget PSN title CONFIRMED :D

Genuinely I have no idea what the production budget is for this. But I imagine if it's staying faithful to the original, it wouldn't be some mega budget game. An amusing fact for me is that my friend and I came from the same previous studio that made the original SotB (Ubi Reflections), so it's neat to see him at HS now!

Draft

If this were Kickstarter I'd assume a scam. Remember how much you loved this game 5/10/15/20 years ago? Here's some concept art! Give me $10.

Verger

Banned
The original had some fantastic music indeed. I'd love for this to have a good atmosphere and presentation. Something minimalistic but powerful, like Another World or Journey. I'm a bit skeptic about this, just somehow feels like it might turn out like the Flashback remake.
Yeah, what made SotB "work" for me was not necessarily the gameplay. I was immersed in the setting thanks to the great art and the fantastic music which both "set the mood" for the game.

I mean, the gameplay was pretty damn simple. just run/jump/punch/kick and enemies either went down in one hit or two (or bosses about a dozen).

Shadow of the Beast 2 tried to add more exploration elements into the game, but man, if you didn't do things exactly right you were pretty much blocked from any game progression and were just left wandering around or stuck in areas.

Shadow of the Beast 2 tried to add more exploration elements into the game, but man, if you didn't do things exactly right you were pretty much blocked from any game progression and were just left wandering around or stuck in areas.

I clearly recall many hours sat staring at the screen in complete bafflement as a kid playing SOTB2 on my Amiga.

I loved that opening cinematic with the big demon bat thing. The game had a really bleak, broody atmosphere going on.

Verger

Banned
Roger Dean is a pretty damn high mark to hit.
shadow-of-the-beast.jpg

1250134-shadowofthebeast2_amiga.jpg

Granted, as was pointed out this artwork had absolutely nothing to do with the game at all. Still it made the product stand out.

2 years later we get some concept art. yea, i wouldnt bet on this game ever being released

I think it will, just with the uncertainty before the launch they needed to have some announcements and decided to use this one since its in-house. Besides 16 months doesn't round up to 2 years :p

I'm curious as to how the music will turn out. The originals had amazing, atmospheric soundtracks, and I hope they don't crank up the cinematic orchestra, add some "tribal" sounds and call it a day.

Good question. Does Sony own the full rights to them?
Yes. Psygnosis owned the games, and Sony owned Psygnosis.

Verger

Banned
Yes. Psygnosis owned the games, and Sony owned Psygnosis.
Yeah, I knew Psygnosis owned the IP and games. But even when you think there is clear-cut ownership I've found that legal limbos can often occur for something that had distribution deals and whatnot. Good to know all the same.

Yeah, I knew Psygnosis owned the IP and games. But even when you think there is clear-cut ownership I've found that legal limbos can often occur for something that had distribution deals and whatnot. Good to know all the same.
I don't think there should be any ownership issues with the original Amiga versions. AFAIK Psygnosis owned what they published, which is why Sony ended up with stuff like Lemmings.

That said, I think the SotB ports were handled by a number of different publishers, so those might be problematic. And I guess the Amiga versions might require licensing Amiga IP - Kickstarter ROMs and such, so those might be problematic to emulate. So I guess it depends on whether Sony still has the source code and assets.

I'm definitely on board for this. Big fan of the original games (yes, despite all the flaws!) and I'm keen to see where they're going with this. Really like the artwork there; one of my favourite things about the original game in particular was how distinct it looked and how alien the environments were.

Gozan

They need three things for this to be a real SotB sequel:

Roger Dean art on box
David Whittaker score
Parallax scrolling. So many layers of parallax scrolling.

An actual game included with these things is ... not really necessary.

Top Bottom