• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

Cudder

I don't know, that's just how I feel.

Del Toro definitely has amazing ideas and I'm a huge fan of some of his films like Pan and Blade 2. But I just feel Kojima has a better chance of understanding what Silent Hill is all about.

Kojima + Christophe Gans would've been amazing too.

WITHE1982

Loved the first Silent Hill and Silent Hill 4: The Room.

Finally it's time to go back playing Silent Hill again :)

Really? I thought 1 was OK but 2 & 3 were the pinnacle of the series by far. I didn't care for 4 at all.

I secretly quite enjoyed Homecoming and Downpour but only because I love the genre. They weren't really SH games IMO.

Silent Hill (5 or S) is now my most anticipated game on PS4.

sub_o

axNmZDL_460sa.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I can see it now, Reedus is the man killed by his father said in the prologue opening in the demo of Silent Hills. He's back from the dead and goes into town to kill every last person with his new toys. Enter Godzilla, who enters into the mysterious foggy town of Silent Hill to face Reedus, but unbeknownst to the lizard he must also face his own inner demons, and fear of cockroaches. It's symbolic.

Godzilla is our protagonist and Reedus the atagonist who we play as during the opening sequence
just like in Silent Hill 4.

sublimit

Banned
I think his involvement might bring something new to the series. That and the fact that is going back to Japanese productions. I think they definitely have some weirdness that western culture sometimes lack when it comes to horror.

Also... Del Toro really knows his stuff. You can see some influence of his within that demo.
I don't think Del Toro's involvement was necessary to be honest other than being an effort to put the name of a popular (but overrated IMO) movie director in the game's box in order to attract non-SH fans in the west that normally would have never been interested in Silent Hill in the first place.

IMO Kojima and the rest of his Japanese team are more than enough to bring fresh ideas to this game and as you said the unique Japanese perspective on American horror (in terms of the setting) could immediately bring interesting results.

legacyzero

Banned
Cant wait for this to be shown for reals. If the teaser is any indication to the final product, then its good to see classic Silent Hill is back.

Dusk Golem

My opinion, honestly, is that Kojima wanted to bring Hollywood talent to the game, but also someone familiar with horror. Kojima in his own words is easily scared, so I can understand the partnership from the angle he probably wanted someone familiar with the genre to help contrast with his absolute fear of horror to sort of filter things out, and probably help with imagery as Del Toro does have quite the imagination.

Cudder

I can't believe they haven't issued a press release yet. You'd think they'd have one ready for the moment someone cracked the teaser.

Squalor

Anyone who has seen Pan's Labyrinth knows del Toro has plenty of creativity and imagination. He has a great eye for design and style, which will help with character and monster creation.

I just don't want him to write the game since he is bad at writing in English.

Godzilla confirmed for Silent Hills, featuring Reedus, and directed by Kojima and Del Toro.

Pacific Rim 2 is Silent Hill.

I can't believe they haven't issued a press release yet. You'd think they'd have one ready for the moment someone cracked the teaser.

They didn't for Phantom Pain. So I imagine they won't until they feel it's time.

This still isn't on the European PSN? What the hell, Sony.

Go to demos section on PSN. It's there for download.

sublimit

Banned
It's in the SH3 making of.
I'm sure it's on youtube somehwere.

It's one thing to be inspired by the appearance of someone (and create something new) and a completely different thing to just blatantly put their face on the character's model exactly as it is.

Cudder

I think the imagery in this teaser is honestly on par with shit that Silent Hill 3 did. The weird fetus in the sink, the fridge swinging with blood pouring out of it with someone crying in it. It's pretty disturbing stuff. It made me think of this moment in SH3.

54955-silent-hill-3-windows-screenshot-you-know-you-re-in-a-silent.jpg

Arwain

Neo Member
Really? I thought 1 was OK but 2 & 3 were the pinnacle of the series by far. I didn't care for 4 at all.

I secretly quite enjoyed Homecoming and Downpour but only because I love the genre. They weren't really SH games IMO.

Silent Hill (5 or S) is now my most anticipated game on PS4.

Yes. I know my picks are not that common among the Silent Hill fanbase :p.

Anyway, can't wait for this new installment too.

glottis8

Banned
Sometimes lack? ALWAYS lack imo! Wider Japanese horror is just unmatched as well. There is almost nothing scary that has come out of Western cinema for over a decade, and I watch a lot of films.

When it comes to movies i think its true. Maybe we just find things scary over there because its out of norm of what we expect to be scary.

As far as games go, i loved Eternal Darkness and that was made over here in the US. Whatever we see for SH. i just hope its immersive, puzzles are not stopping you. The more i see of that demo, the more i see puzzles that make little sense so far.

I don't know, that's just how I feel.

Del Toro definitely has amazing ideas and I'm a huge fan of some of his films like Pan and Blade 2. But I just feel Kojima has a better chance of understanding what Silent Hill is all about.

Kojima + Christophe Gans would've been amazing too.

So you liked Christophe portrayal of SH? i was a big fan of his. The movie was alright... but i expected way more. They always said they cut the movie down from tons of footage made, into an 1hr nad a half. Lots of info is missing in the movie...

Del Toro isn't a good writer when he has to write in English.

He is very creative and imaginative, though. As long as he's not writing, it's fine.

I don't think Del Toro's involvement was necessary to be honest other than being an effort to put the name of a popular (but overrated IMO) movie director in the game's box in order to attract non-SH fans in the west that normally would have never been interested in Silent Hill in the first place.

IMO Kojima and the rest of his Japanese team are more than enough to bring fresh ideas to this game and as you said the unique Japanese perspective on American horror (in terms of the setting) could immediately bring interesting results.

Yea.. i guess we'll have to see what his involvement is.

Also.. what kind of gameplay will we see? the first person view on TP looks really awesome... but it doesn't feel SH. But darn if i am not impressed the more i see the Fox Engine.

Anyone who has seen Pan's Labyrinth knows del Toro has plenty of creativity and imagination. He has a great eye for design and style, which will help with character and monster creation.

I just don't want him to write the game since he is bad at writing in English.

Or he can write in his native language and have someone translate it. The hell is this kind of criticism?

Darkangel

When it comes to movies i think its true. Maybe we just find things scary over there because its out of norm of what we expect to be scary.

As far as games go, i loved Eternal Darkness and that was made over here in the US. Whatever we see for SH. i just hope its immersive, puzzles are not stopping you. The more i see of that demo, the more i see puzzles that make little sense so far.

It was actually made here in Canada :p

Squalor

Or he can write in his native language and have someone translate it. The hell is this kind of criticism?
I highly doubt they have him write it in Spanish just to have someone translate it to English.

It's a very valid criticism. I've seen Pan's Labyrinth without subtitles. His writing is superb in it.

I have also seen his English-written movies. The writing isn't good: bad character development/no character development, shoddy narrative, laughable dialogue.

Dusk Golem

I think the imagery in this teaser is honestly on par with shit that Silent Hill 3 did. The weird fetus in the sink, the fridge swinging with blood pouring out of it with someone crying in it. It's pretty disturbing stuff. It made me think of this moment in SH3.

54955-silent-hill-3-windows-screenshot-you-know-you-re-in-a-silent.jpg

While the imagry in the demo is interesting, I don't think it holds a candle to the rest of the series yet. Especially as the rest of the series as of the moment has context, and there's a shit ton of deeper meanings and symbolism in the imagery. Right now for Silent Hills, we aren't really given full context, and honestly the guess-work makes it seem simpler in its meaning.

Also I don't think it touches on some of SH's imagery at all yet. Just from Silent Hill 3 alone;

sh3-pestilence.gif

Silent-hill-3.jpg

tumblr_lofwsr3J5c1qjbo73o1_500.gif

tumblr_mxibnn4mLb1sgviwfo1_500.gif

tumblr_mfr8q9qRne1rha254o1_500.gif

tumblr_lknh834c0Y1qeyke0o1_500.gif

sh.gif

heatherportrait.gif

SvPlP5K.gif

image.jpg

tumblr_lqwwmbinnl1qzqeaco1_250.gif

Arcade_Otherworld.png

And there's a ton more than what I just posted.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Haven't finished it but I liked most of what was conceptualised. The idea of repeated reality disorientation is a perfect fit for Silent Hill and I'd like to see this developed in the main game. Graphically it was outstanding, as to be expected from an extremely small play space. Only thing I didn't really like was the shaky ghost lady, which is fine in theory but executed a bit weakly, mostly because it does that thing where it just repeats it over and over and beats you over the head by showing too much of which isn't very threatening. Silent Hill thrives off moody atmosphere that gets under your skin without triggered jump scares and over scripted 2spooky monsters, and this for most part did a tremendous job of producing just that.

I'm not entirely convinced Kojima and del Toro have the chops to make what I'd consider to be a true, franchise faithful "Silent Hill". Not because I believe they're untalented, but because neither have really demonstrated the kind of visual and thematic style that defines the series. I fucking adore del Toro, but even his best work just isn't Silent Hill, and the same goes for Kojima. That being said, while I'm highly sceptical this will result in a Silent Hill game as I'd expect, I'm confident the two together can at the very least produce a unique, compelling, and unsettling horror experience. And that's ultimately what I'm looking forward to, Silent Hill branding or not.

Cudder

So you liked Christophe portrayal of SH? i was a big fan of his. The movie was alright... but i expected way more. They always said they cut the movie down from tons of footage made, into an 1hr nad a half. Lots of info is missing in the movie...

Yes, I believe Christophe Gans is one of the few people outside of Team Silent that understand what SH is all about. I liked the movie for the most part, though it did have some clear issues with the script. What really impressed me and made me realize Christophe knew what he was talking about were the interviews he did in The Silent Hill Experience on PSP. You could just tell he understood what Silent Hill was.

While the imagry in the demo is interesting, I don't think it holds a candle to the rest of the series yet. Especially as the rest of the series as of the moment has context, and there's a shit ton of deeper meanings and symbolism in the imagery. Right now for Silent Hills, we aren't really given full context, and honestly the guess-work makes it seem simpler in its meaning.

Also I don't think it touches on some of SH's imagery at all yet. Just from Silent Hill 3 alone;

And there's a ton more than what I just posted.

I'd agree with you. We're missing context for everything in PT. Not to mention SH3 is actually a full game. But just the fact that the shit you see in PT would fit nicely into SH3 says a LOT. It doesn't scream "western studio tries to come up with weird stuff to try and scare the player".

Top Bottom