• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

Squalor

You don't truly believe that do you?
It's made by kojima, obviously it be on the PlayStation 4 it's was probably the only version he thought of doing for this, if you had to pay for the demo Konami would have told him to make it for all platforms like Metal Gear Solid V and Silent Hill s will be because that's what Konami wants.
With this it was all down to him, hence why no other versions was made.
I doubt very much any money was involved from Sony.
The credits for P.T., which has nothing to do with Ground Zeroes listed SCE as the producer.

Yes, I believe Sony paid to have this exclusive reveal for a multiplatform game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The credits for P.T., which has nothing to do with Ground Zeroes listed SCE as the producer.

Yes, I believe Sony paid to have this exclusive reveal for a multiplatform game.
Sounds a bit odd.

The P.T. teaser seems to be published by Sony.

Regarding the final game, no one knows anything. But I believe it will be multiplatform.
I would be very surprised if this is revealed to be a Sony exclusive. It wouldn't affect me, but would be a bit of an odd move given the current state of the franchise and that there doesn't seem to be an interest in Konami/Kojima Productions to limit the release.

TGO

I would be very surprised if this is revealed to be a Sony exclusive. It wouldn't affect me, but would be a bit of an odd move given the current state of the franchise and that there doesn't seem to be an interest in Konami/Kojima Productions to limit the release.
I find it extremely odd Sony would pay for an advertisement for a multiplatform release, it doesn't make sense and Sony would be just wasting their money as it's a free download, multiplatform or not Sony must be getting something out of it.
And it wouldn't surprise me if Sony announces a new Silent Hill movie by Guillermo Del Toro as they own the movie rights.

Squalor

As I have already said:

They've drummed up a ton of hype.

You really think Sony wouldn't be shouting from the rooftops about an exclusive Silent Hill game if they had it? Of course they would be.

Nevertheless, people are going to associate this multiplatform title with the PlayStation 4 because of this very original reveal.

It's serving its purpose.

When has a company ever kept a major exclusive secret after announcing it? Fucking never.

TGO

As I have already said:

They've drummed up a ton of hype.

You really think Sony wouldn't be shouting from the rooftops about an exclusive Silent Hill game if they had it? Of course they would be.

Nevertheless, people are going to associate this multiplatform title with the PlayStation 4 because of this very original reveal.

It's serving its purpose.

When has a company ever kept a major exclusive secret after announcing it? Fucking never.
Well that's the problem, Sony has never shouted from the rooftops about an Silent Hill exclusive, both SH1 and 3 was exclusive to PlayStation and so was MGS3 and ZOE1-2, never did they make a big deal about it, and all we actually know about Silent Hills is the teaser at the end of the Sony published P.T game.
We know as much as we did about Rise of the Tomb Raider with its teaser at E3 this year, except Sony actually has involvement with this teaser.
very little info is available at the moment for Silent Hills and I gotta feeling nothing will be shown at TGS either.

Well that's the problem, Sony has never shouted from the rooftops about an Silent Hill exclusive, both SH1 and 3 was exclusive to PlayStation and so was MGS3 and ZOE1-2, never did they make a big deal about it, and all we actually know about Silent Hills is the teaser at the end of the Sony published P.T game.
We know as much as we did about Rise of the Tomb Raider with its teaser at E3 this year, except Sony actually has involvement with this teaser.
very little info is available at the moment for Silent Hills and I gotta feeling nothing will be shown at TGS either.

Well, that Sony guy on stage specifically said that the teaser was exclusive.
Why would they pay for this ?
Why would anyone pay for exclusive missions or DLC ? This is the same.
Why would they shout from rooftops about a Silent Hill exclusive ? Because back in the PS2 days, it was a normal thing for Sony to have those exclusives. Nowadays, not anymore. If they had an exclusive Silent Hill title produced by Kojima, Del Toro, with Norman Reedus as the lead character, you can bet they would've made it the biggest thing of the conference.

Squalor

Your comparison makes no sense.

Times have changed. The exclusive landscape has changed. Those games were announced as exclusives. This wasn't. I really don't get why this is so difficult.

TGO

Well, that Sony guy on stage specifically said that the teaser was exclusive.
Why would they pay for this ?
Why would anyone pay for exclusive missions or DLC ? This is the same.
Why would they shout from rooftops about a Silent Hill exclusive ? Because back in the PS2 days, it was a normal thing for Sony to have those exclusives. Nowadays, not anymore. If they had an exclusive Silent Hill title produced by Kojima, Del Toro, with Norman Reedus as the lead character, you can bet they would've made it the biggest thing of the conference.
I agree,but they couldn't announced Silent Hills at the conference could they?
That's what I mean, the announcement is in the P.T demo and other then that we have nothing.
Your comparison makes no sense.

Times have changed. The exclusive landscape has changed. Those games were announced as exclusives. This wasn't. I really don't get why this is so difficult.
Tomb Raider wasn't announced as exclusive, anyway yes this wasn't in fact this wasn't even mentioned in the conference as it was a secret and then there is no information on it outside what we know about P.T, this could be a cross gen game for all we know.
So everything you say that points to it not being exclusive can be just as easily dismissed as it is being exclusive because we don't know shit.
I personally think it'll be multiplatform but with the information I have I can be easily wrong when the first real trailer is shown.
Because then and only then is when we'll get any information regarding that.

I find myself understanding where both parties (those that believe it will be exclusive and those that believe it will be multi-plat) are coming from, but the main thing to keep in mind is that P.T. is its own thing.
It was a creative vessel to announce an exciting new project, but it's strictly stated it does not have direct connection to the upcoming game Silent Hills. Now, whether that is your typical Kojima-style misdirection no one knows- but what I do know is P.T. has been getting a ton of attention this past week.

When I go to Live from PlayStation (or whatever it's called) on my PS4, there are constantly people streaming this thing. People I didn't even know played video games were posting about it on their Facebook pages. There were people in these threads last week that were actually saying "Well, I think I'm going to go buy a PS4 for this". Hyperbole or not, it wouldn't surprise me if people were actually doing this. P.T. on its own has become a popular interactive means to freak people out- and it doesn't require a whole lot of time and/or commitment like a full game would.

What essentially amounts to a playable tech demo is giving Sony's console a lot of free press and now the majority of the people that experience it have been made aware that completing it awards you a teaser for a new Silent Hill.

Exclusive or multi-plat, I have no doubt Silent Hills will be widely associated with the PS4 simply because of the experience of P.T.

Yuterald

I played the demo up to some swinging fridge part and got really tired so I shut the game down. The incessant baby screaming was getting to me too, became really irritating after awhile because I wasn't sure exactly what I was supposed to do. I also don't know what I'm supposed to really say about this thing as I really don't understand what this is or what it's supposed to amount to. Not the biggest fan of super hidden variable/conditional branch horror games either. I died at some point during the demo and I don't even know how (does the static/sounds increasing in pitch/volume mean that death is near?). I think I was just walking forward and some spooky girl grabbed me from behind and got all up in my face...no thanks. A lot of it was jump scares and trope-stuff too. I don't know...

I think I'm just an old cynical fart who's too comfortable with old school horror games.

Is anyone else bothered by them modeling the character after Norman Reedus? I don't really mind him doing the voice acting, but it strikes me as them wanting to cash in on Walking Dead fame by modeling the main guy after him.

It worries me a little for some reason.

I'm not entirely on board with the idea of the main character being modelled on a real person - none of the other games had to do this - but more than anything, I'm just annoyed we seem to have yet another brown-haired male protagonist. I'm sure he'll be a great character, but it wouldn't hurt to have some variety.

A-V-B

I just noticed Konami posted this interview to their European site on July 30th, just a couple weeks before they released P.T. on the PSN store. Sounds to me like Akira Yamaoka is definitely doing the music for Silent Hills. Fuck. Yes.

https://uk.games.konami-europe.com/posts/Creating-Fear-Interview-with-Akira-Yamaoka

Sure hope so. But gotta bring Ito in, too. Then they can both work with Kojima and the crew. We need heavy collaboration between lots of excited, creative minds! :)

Ateron

I'm not entirely on board with the idea of the main character being modelled on a real person - none of the other games had to do this - but more than anything, I'm just annoyed we seem to have yet another brown-haired male protagonist. I'm sure he'll be a great character, but it wouldn't hurt to have some variety.

James was based on his VA, Guy Cihi (think that s the name). Not exactly famous, but the point remains,

Odie_Esty

I'm not entirely on board with the idea of the main character being modelled on a real person

Most of the silent hill protagonists are modeled on their voice actors, and even then the FOX Engine requires an actor to physically act out a lot of the motions, which is why Snake's VA changed. It would be dumb to have him only do one.

Pilgrimzero

I don't trust Kojima to not reveal that Silent Hills Supernatural stuff is all alien tech or nanites or some form of Super science/drug hallucinations

Never again the Liquid Ocelot times...

Fool me once...

James was based on his VA, Guy Cihi (think that s the name). Not exactly famous, but the point remains,

Sato was notorious for creating his characters (at least for the SH games) from scratch. In fact, I believe he created the CG for the first concept trailer for SH2 before the voice acting even started or was cast.

RhyDin

Finally played this last night (already knowing it was Silent Hill) and couldn't figure out how to complete it. Watched a youtube video afterwards and I was disappointed to find out the randomness of the "puzzle."

I really hope the game doesn't launch with gameplay elements that involve such odd requirements for completion. Otherwise, the game was great to play in the dark and I jumped a couple of times. Well done!

Pilgrimzero

Shattered memories beat him to it.

How do you figure? Either the whole thing was in the patients head or a ghost was walking around (as he interacted with the cop etc)

And I really like the idea that Shattered Memories is the extension of the "Bad Ending" in SH1 (Car crash ending).

Odie_Esty

Finally played this last night (already knowing it was Silent Hill) and couldn't figure out how to complete it. Watched a youtube video afterwards and I was disappointed to find out the randomness of the "puzzle."

I really hope the game doesn't launch with gameplay elements that involve such odd requirements for completion. Otherwise, the game was great to play in the dark and I jumped a couple of times. Well done!

Kojima's gone on record saying he made PT as obtuse as possible so that there would be "International cooperation" to uncover the secrets within...and then someone lucked into it on a livestream. Kojima's other works don't really rely on obtuse puzzles so I doubt Silent Hills proper will either. It's also worth noting they artificially gimped the graphics to look more indie since the FOX Engine is so distinct.

How do you figure? Either the whole thing was in the girls head or his ghost was walking around (as he interacted with the cop etc)

And I really like the idea that Shattered Memories is the extension of the "Bad Ending" in SH1 (Car crash ending).

Well that's effectively an "All a hallucination" ending, albeit one I actually like. I guess the ghost one isn't but I never cared for that ending.

Silent Hill 3 was also on PC. The first game was the only exclusive to PlayStation.

TGO

Silent Hill 3 was also on PC. The first game was the only exclusive to PlayStation.
There was a lot of games that was also on PC.
FFVII
FFVIII
Broken Sword 1 & 2 to name a few.
Those was actually published by Sony too but was available on PC, but they was console exclusive.

gconsole

I'm very distrustful of Kojima. I don't like Metal Gear and I'm very much afraid of him screwing up Silent Hill for me forever.

Part of the appeal of SH for me has always been how it does it's own thing. I'm not sure I want them pandering to X demographic at all so blatantly, I honestly just want to get lost in their universe.

We'll see I guess. I'm super skeptical of this one, but at least they're throwing a bigger budget at it. I hope to be proven wrong with my disdain for Kojima, but I *really* hate how custscene heavy and overblown all his stuff I've played is.

Im not Kojima fan. But I doubt it would be any worse than outsourcing to mid tier western studio.

Im not Kojima fan. But I doubt it would be any worse than outsourcing to mid tier western studio.

Downpour is no SH2, but it's a lot better than I was expecting (haven't finished yet, little time to play games due to dev after work).

I'd even say that aside from the thus far, extremely uninspired monster designs, the atmosphere is sufficiently spooky and well done. The theme seems to be heading in an Ok direction as well.

I have yet to play Origins because I heard so many bad things about it, yet still curious. I think Resident Evil has had a worse go at it really, I used to love RE2 as a classic survival horror, yet RE4 came out, people ate it up, and now its all explosions and QTE galore.

I think that Kojima is a perfect fit for this franchise. The PT threads look like Metal Gear theory threads. He's known for convoluted plots filled with mystery that cause people to argue over little insignificant details for years. That's like every paranormal/alien internet forum ever. It's perfect. A match made in heaven hell.

And FoxEngine looks amazing in this.

I think that Kojima is a perfect fit for this franchise. The PT threads look like Metal Gear theory threads. He's known for convoluted plots filled with mystery that cause people to argue over little insignificant details for years. That's like every paranormal/alien internet forum ever. It's perfect. A match made in heaven hell.

And FoxEngine looks amazing in this.

Some of us like arguing about things that actually make sense in the end though. :p

main2xsad.jpg

New Silent Hills pic!

Just saw this

Silent Hills to be shown on Konami’s TGS stage

Konami’s Tokyo Game Show lineup has been revealed and we can now confirm that P.T. / Silent Hills will be making an appearance. With a supposed release set sometime in 2016, it didn’t seem likely that we’d see a lot more from this game so soon after its reveal, but according to Konami’s own TGS lineup page, P.T. will not only be shown, but it will also get a spotlight on Konami’s conference stage.

teknix

Neo Member

2016 seems too early for a Silent Hills release date, but I'm using MGS V's dev time as a comparison. But I realize that MGS V is a huge open world game which has been in development for a very long time probably because of it's sheer expansiveness and the time it took to make Fox Engine.

To the contrary, Silent Hills probably won't be open world and it doesn't need to be. PT was more than enough to scare people with just 1 L shaped hallway. Silent Hill is best known for its closed in/claustrophobic inducing atmosphere. Even when you're outside, there's fog completely blocking your vision except for a few feet in front of you.

And if Kojima goes the Telltale games episodic route, 2016 seems very possible.

teknix

Neo Member
Imagine if Kojima plays PT on the TGS stage and does something that unlocks the front door of the house which takes you into another area with another puzzle to solve, and that whole secret area was sitting on a millions PS4 for weeks, and no one had a clue.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Imagine if Kojima plays PT on the TGS stage and does something that unlocks the front door of the house which takes you into another area with another puzzle to solve, and that whole secret area was sitting on a millions PS4 for weeks, and no one had a clue.

that would be a wonderful thing.

Jomjom

Banned
Has there been any word on which consoles this will release on yet? If not its starting to feel like TR where the game was announced, but purposely no consoles were announced. Would be funny if MS secured time exclusivity on this like TR after Sony got the PT demo.

Top Bottom