• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

Grisby

Going through some older Silent Hills and I think I'd be up for some fixed camera angles. Kojima has a cinematic eye and they could go wild with the shots/imagery.

Z3M0G

iqATCLzsola9g.gif

Posting here since the last thread is 90% trying to figure out the ending.

I thought she wouldn't attack me if i stayed still lol.

"We kept the graphics bad to make it look indie..."

Palpable

Fox Engine scans real life people. Every single person you see in MGSV is based on a real life person.

Not everyone. Big Boss, Chico, Paz, Miller, etc are all existing characters prior to the Fox Engine. The only real people scanned in so far are random NPC soldiers and Quiet. As someone said earlier, they also blend faces together to make someone new or someone prior existing (Chico was one of them).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Not everyone. Big Boss, Chico, Paz, Miller, etc are all existing characters prior to the Fox Engine. The only real people scanned in so far are random NPC soldiers and Quiet. As someone said earlier, they also blend faces together to make someone new or someone prior existing (Chico was one of them).

No even Big Boss and the others you named. There is a reason why Big Boss looks completely different in MGSV than in other MGS games. It's because the characters are now based on their real life models. Just take Ocelot for example. He looks very similiar to Troy Baker now. (his new voice actor)

Again, it doesn't mean they must look EXACTLY like that in the game, they could change the ears or nose etc. but they're definitely based on real life people now.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This is an amazing looking game, btw. And scarier than anything I've ever played. (I have played Amnesia and Outlast.)

A-V-B

What would be awesome is having Ito design the monsters, then having someone sculpt them and then scan them. It'd be like Doom-style monster creation for the new era.

PooBone

Release it also on Wii U then. I can't even imagine what they would be able to do with the Wii U Gamepad (even if it added just an off-tv mode, that would improve the experience considerably). Silent Hill Shattered Memories on Wii wasn't that bad...

I can imagine whatever they did with the Wii U gamepad would be less scary than what they can do with the FOX engine. No way this comes to a Nintendo platform. The engine was designed for 360, PS3, XB1, and PS4

I'm not that crazy about using the exact likeness of well known actors in realistic portrayals in video games... yet.

I just don't think the tech is good enough to pull it off believably without the weird uncanny valley feeling.

For as amazing as Ellen Page was in Beyond (and really, hats off to the tech wizards at QD), there was still a disconnect while I played and Willem Defoe was very distracting to me. When I see the Advanced Warfare trailers, digital Kevin Spacey just looks freaky.
It bothers me.
It's impressive technical work, no doubt- but my brain is constantly reminding me it's fake. This only seems to happen with recognizable performers in the digital space, probably because I'm familiar with their actual body language and emotions from their work in film/TV. Great animation (or well directed mo-cap) with hand-crafted, fictional characters can make emotions fairly believable (i.e. The Last of Us), because you've only ever seen those characters within the game world they inhabit. When I start seeing gestures or emotions on a digital representation of a recognizable actor that doesn't seem genuine (or they seem 'video gamey') I'm just taken out of the overall experience a lot more, if that makes any sense.

I guess those are the big dangers with the 'ambition' of people like David Cage and Kojima that want to try perfectly replicating popular actors in a video game. Again, I just don't think the tech is quite there yet.

So yeah, as of right now I agree with -MD-.
I have no problem with Reedus being the main character for SILENT HILLS, but I'm not a big fan of KojiPro using a digital likeness of him. I'm afraid it will break the immersion for me... and for a Silent Hill game that's critical.
Hopefully Kojima will prove me wrong when the game ships, because I'm really excited about what they are cooking up over there.

Palpable

No even Big Boss and the others you named. There is a reason why Big Boss looks completely different in MGSV than in other MGS games. It's because the characters are now based on their real life models. Just take Ocelot for example. He looks very similiar to Troy Baker now. (his new voice actor)

Again, it doesn't mean they must look EXACTLY like that in the game, they could change the ears or nose etc. but they're definitely based on real life people now.

I know that's why Ocelot looks the way he does, but Big Boss hasn't changed. He still looks like he did in PW and 4. I recall there being an interview a few months ago where Kojima said certain characters they couldn't change their looks at all.

Lime

I just wanted to add that Masahiro Ito still got it. I liked this take on the staple Silent Hill nurse that he did not too long ago:

Sorry in advance if it's too explicit, let me know and I'll put it as NSFW.

A-V-B

Whadya mean too explicit? Nothing beyond what you'd expect in a Silent Hill game :p

Ito loves his giant breasted super babes, though. If Kojima brings him back, he's gotta let him make at least one, even if there isn't a hospital. Just so he can get it out of his system and make some awesome creatures and environments.

This was on the twitter of Ito,
27 nov. 2012
@adsk4 Would you work with Hideo Kojima on another SH game?

伊藤暢達-アシッドバッファ#2通販中
‏@adsk4
@IceTubesCoD Yes. If he were to demand it.

But now he has Del Toro.. But still hoping for him to return.

sca2511

I tried getting myself killed by letting her possess me and quickly turning around, to no avail. Also tried it when the person on the radio was telling me to turn around. Is there a process for it to happen or is it totally random? I don't know how many times I spun around trying to provoke her to snap my neck/eat me.

27 nov. 2012

伊藤暢達-アシッドバッファ#2通販中
‏@adsk4

Both Ito and Yamaoka have expressed interest in returning to a SH production. Yamaoka even made a new vocal track specifically for the second Silent Hill film (after being denied Downpour).

If Konami/Kojima have any fingers on the pulse of the SH fanbase, they'll know these two guys are wanted back in a big way.
However, if they are treating this as a 'slate cleaning' reboot, they might intentionally go in a different art aesthetic direction to allow it to clearly stand out from the classics.
Del Toro is known for working with some amazing creature designs, so if he's on board at that capacity it could be interesting.

I'm ok with either decision honestly, but I'd love to see more Ito designs and, of course, Yamaoka's music should be a no-brainer.

A-V-B

Both Ito and Yamaoka have expressed interest in returning to a SH production. Yamaoka even made a new vocal track specifically for the second Silent Hill film (after being denied Downpour).

If Konami/Kojima have any fingers on the pulse of the SH fanbase, they'll know these two guys are wanted back in a big way.
However, if they are treating this as a 'slate cleaning' reboot, they might intentionally go in a different art aesthetic direction to allow it to clearly stand out from the classics.

I'm ok with either decision honestly, but I'd love to see more Ito designs and, of course, Yamaoka's music should be a no-brainer.

Thing is, the series has already been divorced from Ito and Yamaoka for a while, and splitting up the series from its heart is sort of what's been killing it. Bringing them back would actually make things feel fresh again because they wouldn't be copying anyone -- they'd just be doing what they've always done, and that's be themselves. Combine that with the new collaboration and vigor of Kojima and Del Toro, and who knows what wondrous things you might get...

sn00zer

I hate that the standard SH nurse has huge boobs now..... really distracting considering the aesthetic of the rest of the game.

HeelPower

as creepy as ghost woman is, imagine that replaced with a high-detail, twitching, new Ito creature. o_O

The would be far more terrifying and original imo.

Honestly that's what the game needs to take it to the next level.Ghosts like the one in P.T are too mainstream(not denying she was hella scary in the demo)

But the humanoid~ish, faceless fleshy creatures that Ito manages to create are something else.

I hate that the standard SH nurse has huge boobs now..... really distracting considering the aesthetic of the rest of the game.

yeah the "sexy" nurses are quite annoying ,but then again sexuality is deeply connected to Silent Hill monster in some cases.But yeah the latest models aren't so good.

Lime

Ito loves bigger breasts though. I imagine he doesn't restrain himself when doing personal and contracted work that doesn't have any contextual congruence with the product he's working for.

A-V-B

Ito loves bigger breasts though. I imagine he doesn't restrain himself when doing personal and contracted work that doesn't have any contextual congruence with the product he's working for.

Yeah. Ito's ladies are almost a kind of monster themselves because of the way he draws them.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I just wanted to add that Masahiro Ito still got it. I liked this take on the staple Silent Hill nurse that he did not too long ago:

Sorry in advance if it's too explicit, let me know and I'll put it as NSFW.

The second one is quite.. erotic, I'd say. At least if you're into gas masks, stockings and such.

*cough*

Anyhow, I'm getting my paycheck this Friday. Think I might go pick up a PS Quadrupla to play this and the latest Infamous game.

UrbanRats

27 nov. 2012

伊藤暢達-アシッドバッファ#2通販中
‏@adsk4

This is too cruel. :(

Funny thing is, they would've made more sense in SH2 (where they are not particularly "sexy") given the plot's themes, than the movie.
In the movie, theoretically, they
are extrapolated by Alessa's subconscious, and her memory of Lisa.
Now why would a little girl have an hyper sexualized subconscious image of the nurse tending to her?

Case in point, In the first game, sharing some of the same plot points as the movie, the nurses are pretty straight forward.

Homecoming doesn't even count, it just took the movie's design without much thought put into it, it seems.

HeelPower

Masahiro Ito designs convey a lot of sheer pain or torture I think.They are really effective in portraying monsters(with predominantly human qualities) in inescapable situations.That if you imagine yourself in the monster's place you would want to escape but you know you couldn't without a lot of pain or possibly death.

You are repulsed by their disgusting appearance and horrified by their dreadful situation but you can somewhat empathize with these monsters because you can imagine youself in their place.

Its basically a portrayal of Hell only without any fire.
From his gallery

That's what I feel anyway.

Masahiro Ito designs convey a lot of sheer pain or torture I think.They are really effective in portraying monsters(with predominantly human qualities) in inescapable situations.That if you imagine yourself in the monster's place you would want to escape but you know you couldn't without a lot of pain or possibly death.

You are repulsed by their disgusting appearance and horrified by their dreadful situation but you can somewhat empathize with these monsters because you can imagine youself in their place.

Its basically a portrayal of Hell only without any fire.
From his gallery

That's what I feel anyway.

Definitely. I feel that's part of why the combat in Silent Hill works for me, because rather than feeling empowered I'm actually even more disturbed that I'm beating the shit out of these horrifying, pitiable creatures.

HeelPower

Definitely. I feel that's part of why the combat in Silent Hill works for me, because rather than feeling empowered I'm actually even more disturbed that I'm beating the shit out of these horrifying, pitiable creatures.

Yeah combat in Silent Hills need to feel disturbing rather than competitive.

I hope they nail that aspect.I think clunky or awkward controls might serve that function ,but there could be another way about it as well.

A-V-B

I really felt like that beating up those fetus things in SH3...

Nekofrog

Banned
I both love and hate Silent Hill 2. I love it for what it is, but I hate it for what it did to the series. Now every developer that gets its hands on the property thinks that they have to have a Silent Hill game where the plot twist is that your main character is being punished because he killed someone/saw someone killed didnt do anything/etc.

That's why I loved Shattered Memories so much. it had a plot twist, but the plot twist was so amazingly brave and deep that it just wrecked all preconceived notions of "silent hill"

UrbanRats

I both love and hate Silent Hill 2. I love it for what it is, but I hate it for what it did to the series. Now every developer that gets its hands on the property thinks that they have to have a Silent Hill game where the plot twist is that your main character is being punished because he killed someone/saw someone killed didnt do anything/etc.

That's why I loved Shattered Memories so much. it had a plot twist, but the plot twist was so amazingly brave and deep that it just wrecked all preconceived notions of "silent hill"

Yeah, but the game around it wasn't exactly amazing nor very reminiscent of the series, for me.
I thought it would've worked better without the brand attached to it, actually.

I don't even think they should start from the idea of having to have a plot twist in the first place.

You mean with the exception of Origins, Shattered Memories (which had a forced, unearned twist) and Downpour? There have been all of two Silent Hill games with that sort of thing as the twist.

A-V-B

The brilliant thing about SH2 is that it's about people collapsing, about them transitioning from a state of life to a state of death. They've broken or killed something in their own lives that forces them to leave our world and join the other, and Silent Hill is where they go to find the bridge to walk there. Only thing keeping them from it are these layers of illusion they've trapped themselves in, and once Silent Hill has helped them pierce through that, their souls, so to speak, are free.

Laura's the only one who didn't have baggage like that, so the only monsters she sees there are the only ones that are real --- the characters in the story (Eddie, James)

Top Bottom