• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

Capra

Alright, so I've watched a bunch of streams for the teaser (don't have a PS4) and I'm pumped as fuck for whatever the final product ends up being. I just have one question...

When did video games start using actors for their likenesses as well as their voices? This is the first time I've seen it happen and it's still the weirdest thing about the whole teaser for me, especially since no one else seems to be commenting on it. It just seems strange for me, for a famous actor to be playing a CG character in a video game who will canonically have that actor's face and voice. Are there other examples of this happening that I've just somehow not noticed?

Non-consensual likeness borrowing doesn't count.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Alright, so I've watched a bunch of streams for the teaser (don't have a PS4) and I'm pumped as fuck for whatever the final product ends up being. I just have one question...

When did video games start using actors for their likenesses as well as their voices? This is the first time I've seen it happen and it's still the weirdest thing about the whole teaser for me, especially since no one else seems to be commenting on it. It just seems strange for me, for a famous actor to be playing a CG character in a video game who will canonically have that actor's face and voice. Are there other examples of this happening that I've just somehow not noticed?

I believe Onimusha and Beyond Two Soul are two.

sn00zer

Is there a 5-10min youtube walkthrough out there of a full walkthrough that doesnt have reactions?...dont have a PS4 and want to show my dad who was a big SH fan

Pancho

Qurupancho

The new COD has Kevin Spacey, Until Dawn has Hayden Panettiere and I think there are other names in that game as well.

Like i said, i think Norman is playing some kind of paranormal investigator that travels to SH to see what all the hubub is about. At the end of the teaser, his facial expression when he looks back (presumably at the haunted house) means: "is that all you got!?". This gen i bet we will see ALOT of actors in game rolls. As games get more and more realistic; it will be harder and harder for the developers to pull an artificial person out of a hat. They would rather have an actor do mocap, ect.

Palpable

shc_zps0421cb6b.png

This specific shade of ocean blue confirmed for Silent Hills.

Jean Reno in Onimusha 3 is the first I can remember. Funny thinking of it now, what a weird choice but Leon is an amazing movie.

Astral

Who else expects this hallway to return in the full game? It's all too good to completely scrap. It'd be one of those moments where you just say "Fuck, it's back." I want it to return with a new twist to keep us on the edge of our seats, and of course explore the whole house. At the very least they have to keep Lisa.

This PT had me terrified. I had to call over some friends as we played it together...definitely worth a pick up. A game hasn't had me shook like that since the original Resident Evil.

Rereading this thread and people not wanting Guillermo Del Toro to write because his main language is spanish is... laughable. Silent Hill 1 & 2 was made by Japanese developers, had a few problems in its translations but is still widely lauded until today.

It's Kojima you have to worry about when it comes to translations, that loveable bastard's decision to not use the first Metal Gear Solid's translator for his other works has lead to some pretty bad translating efforts in Metal Gear. We went from some pretty good lines in the first MGS to this:

Hell, Tim Rogers explained it well:

In closing, let us praise the one certifiably great thing about Metal Gear Solid 4, and the one shining beacon that fills us with faith in Kojima’s future productions: the flow of the dialogue. It’s occasionally hilarious how well Kojima is able to write rhythmic dialogue. It clips and breezes along; the most portentous sentences become urgent poetic moments that transcend the base stupidity of the plot. Of course, you’d never know this if you played the game in English — the script appears to have been translated by the Elephant Man banging his head on a keyboard. There’s a line where Naomi says “If you want to change your fate, you’ll have to meet your destiny”. What the shit? In Japanese, she uses the same word for “fate” (unmei) twice, one instance of which being the first word of the sentence. This is to lend the sentence some kind of parallel structure. Even given the flipping idiocy of the moment, it makes for a neat little verbal-ironic turnaround: “The only way to change your fate is to go forth and meet it.” In other words, the only way Snake can possibly outlive his terrible fate (death) is by running straight at it, instead of letting it crash into him while he sits there doing nothing. This is a nice little sentence that no doubt has already inspired several dozen fanfiction-writing Japanese fourteen-year-olds. In English, it’s a dud; the translator must have majored in newspaper journalism, had a professor tell him to never use the same word — even (ESPECIALLY) “the” — twice in one sentence. However, this isn’t reporting — this isn’t regurgitation of earthquake statistics. It’s “art” (term used loosely).

Z3M0G

I'm a hardcore Silent Hill fan... got every ending for the first couple games at least. Long declared my favorite game franchise, especially back in the PS2 days.

That said, I enjoyed every single Silent Hill game. Every single one. The makers of the latest games may not have had the craft of the original team, but you could tell that they were true fans of the franchise, and did their best to replicate the best aspects of those games.

Downpour is almost a perfect Silent Hill game, if it wasn't for the horrible enemies. But the exploration, story, and overall structure was perfect. I tried to do every single side activity in that game during my first playthrough.

Origins was very enjoyable as well, played through that one twice.

Homecoming was even good, though I would have preferred it not try to tie into the movie.

Shattered Memories had horrible concepts when it came to the frozen world and how you had to run from everything, but the story... oh my!

The one thing that I want the next silent hill to be careful about is the combat... if they even choose to have any. P.T. proved to me that they can nail the tension and atmosphere (please do first person for interiors!), but they better not put any first person combat in. And if they do 3rd person combat, they better do it well. I felt that The Last Of Us had PERFECT combat for a Silent Hill game... all they need to do is rip that off and I'll be very happy.

sir_jachn

Neo Member

I think it has a lot to do with the studios wanting to use full performance capture instead of just voice acting. The facial capture data is presumably a lot easier to match on a face similar to the source data than on a made up one. This way you can also create some buzz by name dropping famous actors.

EDIT: To add on I think Norman Reedus and his kinda shaggy appearance fit well in a Silent Hill game. He's also played some questionable characters in the past, most recently and probably most famously in The Walking Dead.

jimi_dini

When did video games start using actors for their likenesses as well as their voices?

This is nothing new. Team Silent used for example the face of Guy Cihi for James in Silent Hill 2, they also motion captured him and he also did voice acting.

Going full Hollywood is new of course. But I don't like that.

Capra

I think it has a lot to do with the studios wanting to use full performance capture instead of just voice acting. The facial capture data is presumably a lot easier to match on a face similar to the source data than on a made up one. This way you can also create some buzz by name dropping famous actors.

EDIT: To add on I think Norman Reedus and his kinda shaggy appearance fit well in a Silent Hill game. He's also played some questionable characters in the past, most recently and probably most famously in The Walking Dead.

Yeah, I get why devs would do it for easier development and marketing reasons, and I think Reedus would definitely fit in... I think my problem is more that they're casting him as the player character. When you play a game, you're basically taking on the role of whatever character you get to control. If devs suddenly start casting recognizable actors as those player characters, I feel like they risk creating a barrier between the player and that character. Suddenly it won't be the player playing the part of Harry Mason (or whoever), it'll be the player playing the part of Norman Reedus playing the part of Harry Mason... If they stick to the first person view of the teaser it won't be so much of a problem (until you look in a mirror and see Daryl looking back), but if they go third person again I worry that that distancing might detract a bit from the atmosphere.

Though honestly I expect it won't be a problem for most people. I just tend to get hung up on things like that.

jimi_dini said:
This is nothing new. Team Silent used for example the face of Guy Cihi for James in Silent Hill 2, they also motion captured him and he also did voice acting.

Going full Hollywood is new of course. But I don't like that.

Yeah, but there's a difference between casting a low-profile actor and casting the guy who played Daryl in The Walking Dead.

UrbanRats

Rereading this thread and people not wanting Guillermo Del Toro to write because his main language is spanish is... laughable. Silent Hill 1 & 2 was made by Japanese developers, had a few problems in its translations but is still widely lauded until today.

It's Kojima you have to worry about when it comes to translations, that loveable bastard's decision to not use the first Metal Gear Solid's translator for his other works has lead to some pretty bad translating efforts in Metal Gear. We went from some pretty good lines in the first MGS to this:

Hell, Tim Rogers explained it well:

What's so bad about the "fiddle" line? I have yet to understand this, as i'm not American/English, maybe i'm missing something.

I thought it was just weird or unusual, but then i've heard it used in a couple of US TV shows since.

Palpable

What's so bad about the "fiddle" line? I have yet to understand this, as i'm not American/English, maybe i'm missing something.

I thought it was just weird or unusual, but then i've heard it used in a couple of US TV shows since.

I live and grew up in the U.S. and I thought the fiddle line was just fine. Why it got so much attention, I do not know. What's more interesting is that the Japanese version of the game had Miller saying, "They fucked us!". It's not like the U.S. to get the censored version of... anything.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
At some point due to all the hype and expectation for this game, people will shit on it. Their own expectations will be the reason they resent the game. Just a little insight on the cycle of hyped games.

That said, I cant fucking wait.

Tizoc

Yours saviours Silent Hill GAF
tumblr_nabff9bK9J1r98fdvo1_500.jpg
tumblr_nabff9bK9J1r98fdvo2_500.jpg

Wonder if Kojima's gonna pull another MGR:R and give the game to another dev...

Palpable

Wonder if Kojima's gonna pull another MGR:R and give the game to another dev...

The reason that happened was because Kojima had nothing to do with Rising. It was his team and his team alone. Too bad they didn't finish it up themselves. The original Rising looked better than what Platinum came out with. Kojima should've stepped in, but he was too busy with Peace Walker and developing the FOX Engine.

"They played us like a damn fiddle" is for me, Hallmark-quality. Not a line you relate a soldier, in the 70s, and highly strung due to clusterfucks with honestly.

Arsenic13

Yeah! No PC release, unfortunately. :-(

I've argued a lot for a PC version and PC/PSN re-releases for the original games.

Downpour on PC would be great. Same with Konami working with GoG or simply releasing Silent Hill 2-4 PC on Steam (although the former would mean some compat fixes). Prep people for "the return of Silent Hill" with this.

I've argued for both here and here, if you're interested.

2scoops

Really looking foward to more info. The only thing im not sure about is reedus being the main character.

I agree. I have nothing against the guy, I just feel a tiny bit put off by him being the lead character. But with Kojima and Del Toro on board, i'd have to say i'm pretty damn excited! Would also love to see some classic SH world transformation with the Fox Engine.

Gambit

been out of the loop for three weeks, so I am just catching up on the news. Watched the teaser, since I don't have a PS4.

What really, really sold me on the trailer was the still perfect Silent Hill 1 music!

Top Bottom