• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Silent Hill for PS3/360

Melchiah

Lime said:
Anybody have an opinion on the main protagonist presumably (judging by the information) being a middle-aged white male again?

Personally I'm getting tired of seeing someone between 20-35 years of age traverse the universe. It would be much more interesting seeing someone different reacting to the town of Silent Hill. Ie. we haven't had an adult female nor a kid yet, so experiencing different perspectives on the town could be much more intriguing.

Perhaps an elderly woman. It might lead to interesting scenarios, when she doesn't have the stamina to run away from the monsters. And just imagine the things she would say, things that younger protagonists never do. :D

Lime said:
Anybody have an opinion on the main protagonist presumably (judging by the information) being a middle-aged white male again?

Personally I'm getting tired of seeing someone between 20-35 years of age traverse the universe. It would be much more interesting seeing someone different reacting to the town of Silent Hill. Ie. we haven't had an adult female nor a kid yet, so experiencing different perspectives on the town could be much more intriguing.

Eh, we had Maria and we had Heather....close enough :p

But I agree, it is time for a change.

A Mother would be nice change of pace, there is, regardless of what some might say, a very big difference in the relationship between a mother and child and father and child.

Majmun

An obscure European devleoper is making the new game?
FPS???

Silent Hill is in its own Silent Hill nowadays. I'm praying for it to be any good.
But I will not touch this if becomes a fps.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Lime said:

silent-hill-shattered-memories-11.jpg

this is a gaming protagonist cliche to you?

don't read unless you beat shattered memories:
re-play the game with the ending twist in mind and last half of your quote takes on a whole new meaning...

Celine

timetokill said:
Personally I think old man/woman would be better. Could be confronting his past and I'd imagine he'd have built up a lot of regret, guilt, sorrow, etc. throughout his/her life.
Come here to post this.

I thought immediately about Harman Smith :lol

73501460mc3.jpg

John Harker said:
this is a gaming protagonist cliche to you?

He's just talking about the fact that you play as a middle aged man in all the games aside from SH3, and maybe Homecoming since Alex seems to be a bit younger. And considering that there are seven Silent Hill games now... it is becoming cliche, at least to the series as a whole.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
brandonh83 said:
He's just talking about the fact that you play as a middle aged man in all the games aside from SH3, and maybe Homecoming since Alex seems to be a bit younger. And considering that there are seven Silent Hill games now... it is becoming cliche, at least to the series as a whole.

30somethingwhitemaleswithbrownhairchart.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
HK-47 said:
30somethingwhitemaleswithbrownhairchart.jpg

major SM spoiler warning:

but you
play the game as a young girl - the whole time! haha. It's really her perspective of SH you're seeing, not a 30somethingbrownhair

'sides, this Harry always seemed older to me than the other leads ::shrug::

Lime

timetokill said:
Personally I think old man/woman would be better. Could be confronting his past and I'd imagine he'd have built up a lot of regret, guilt, sorrow, etc. throughout his/her life.

Could be interesting. Like a Daniel Plainview-type of character maybe?

But they're mentioning two different games in that release picture. Why is anyone assuming they'd be dumb enough to place SH in FPS mode?

Konami.

But seriously, I don't think anyone in this thread expect Vatra Games to turn it into a FPS. The comments in the thread are merely a "What-if" scenario.

Lime said:
Could be interesting. Like a Daniel Plainview-type of character maybe?

That would be awesome, yes

Actually, as a side-story ... I would personally be interested in a game that took place in "actual" Silent Hill, as in the actual populated one... which then switched to the crazy one. I think the transition from normal, populated to "deserted, hellish" would be pretty cool. As opposed to the usual one of "lonely, grey, desolate" to "lonely, red, hellish" one they usually go with now.

SM was a bit in that direction, I think that with maybe some more characters could be really cool.

Zen

Banned
Nirolak said:
As much as Konami has completely run this series into the ground, it's still one of their extremely few viable IPs.

Hopefully this project is akin to the quality seen with the new Castlevania. As uch as I really enjoyed shattered memories, I don't think Climax was the developer to take the franchise back into the spotlight. I'd still like it IF these devs are amking something on par with the effort behind the new CV, that Climax can make another Shattered Memories Wii title.

Hopefully Konami realizes that they can't just keep half assing this IP if they want it to remain viable. I'd like to see Konami form strong external partnerships for series that they aren't able/willing to produce internally.

Raist

Banned
Hmm... Silent Hill is back?

Atmosphere looks great. Environments as well. Character models look a bit fugly tho.

afternoon delight said:
But they're mentioning two different games in that release picture. Why is anyone assuming they'd be dumb enough to place SH in FPS mode?

One day, one bright day, the S in FPS will finally fall, and the videogames will finally be free to be a marvelous, engrossing medium :lol

timetokill said:

They should start working this on a different angle. For example, not just a plain, easy, outcast character like a prisoner, but someone that still lives society, just in a radically different way, in a marginal position - a nigerian prostitute in her 50's?

recklessmind said:
Is that just the trailer?

Yup.

Appears to be a mix of gameplay footage and cut-scenes.

Looks great, but after the train wreck that was Homecoming, I'm waiting for some proper gameplay footage and previews before boarding this hype train.

mescalineeyes said:
you know what, that looks fucking awesome.

not sure if it's a good Silent Hill game, but it looks like a game I want to play.

Same here. I haven't said that since Silent Hill 2, but watching the world change looked fucking nice.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Speaking of that image:

k3u43o.jpg

Are those the new SH8 monsters on the image's background?

Nekofrog

Banned
As long as it doesn't have the requisite "oh-look-i've-been-playing-as-a-murderer-the-whole-time" that they seem to love doing, I'll be happy.

You know what'd be interesting? To play as someone not responsible for some kind of huge evil in their life. Not an innocent, but for example someone who has willingly taken the blame for a brother who has committed a heinous crime, so that when they are pulled into Silent Hill, they're being punished not for something they did, but for something that they took upon themselves, a sort of transference. Not punished for whatever the crime itself was, but for allowing the one who did do it to go free and justice to not be served. That'd serve up an interesting scenario.

"... even nobility can be rooted in evil..."

Nekofrog said:
As long as it doesn't have the requisite "oh-look-i've-been-playing-as-a-murderer-the-whole-time" that they seem to love doing, I'll be happy.

You know what'd be interesting? To play as someone not responsible for some kind of huge evil in their life. Not an innocent, but for example someone who has willingly taken the blame for a brother who has committed a heinous crime, so that when they are pulled into Silent Hill, they're being punished not for something they did, but for something that they took upon themselves, a sort of transference. Not punished for whatever the crime itself was, but for allowing the one who did do it to go free and justice to not be served. That'd serve up an interesting scenario.

At the Konami conference, the dudes seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the game. I think they're gonna work hard on the narrative. We'll be in for a few surprises, I guarantee.

Judging from the trailer. the game has two camera views, 3rd person and first person and I think it would work in small places just like the apartment in SH4.
Orobi said:
Is that game being developed with Unreal Engine? :S
Apparently. I don't care if it's unreal or not, it's not a problem anyway.

Dascu

Nekofrog said:

I liked Shattered Memories because the main character didn't have some grim, sordid past. The story was much more life-like and relatable because of it.

ULTROS! said:
Speaking of that image:

[ig]http://i42.tinypic.com/k3u43o.jpg[/img]

Are those the new SH8 monsters on the image's background?

The trailer makes it seem like they might understand SH. But if those designs are in it then all that will go out the window.

Speedymanic said:
Had better not be.

They don't look remotely scary or monster like. :/

Depends. I read a newspaper article with Oskari Hakkinen from Remedy regarding Alan Wake, and he said the best thing to do is ground the character in reality, then when they're settled, then they can "scare the shit out of you." Now of course this doesn't apply verbatim to the Silent Hill universe, but if those enemies are indeed more human, it could prove to be interesting - if executed properly of course. Humans can be the scariest foes of all (Silent Hill 2 proved that beautifully).

disappeared said:
Depends. I read a newspaper article with Oskari Hakkinen from Remedy regarding Alan Wake, and he said the best thing to do is ground the character in reality, then when they're settled, then they can "scare the shit out of you." Now of course this doesn't apply verbatim to the Silent Hill universe, but if those enemies are indeed more human, it could prove to be interesting - if executed properly of course. Humans can be the scariest foes of all (Silent Hill 2 proved that beautifully).
To me, it's just typical, uncreative design. Humans in 2 were scary because they were fucking weirdos. The Vatra art looks like generic and shitty Clive Barker-ish stuff that's been done to death. HOW ABOUT A GUY WITH GLOWING EYES AND BIG NEEDLE FINGERS SCARY HUH.
Team Silent & Masahiro Ito found scariness from bizarre and uncommon inspirations like Francis Bacon and Jacob's Lader.

ace harding: private eye said:
To me, it's just typical, uncreative design. Humans in 2 were scary because they were fucking weirdos. The Vatra art looks like generic and shitty Clive Barker-ish stuff that's been done to death. HOW ABOUT A GUY WITH GLOWING EYES AND BIG NEEDLE FINGERS SCARY HUH.
Team Silent & Masahiro Ito found scariness from bizarre and uncommon inspirations like Francis Bacon and Jacob's Lader.

Fair enough. Like I said it's up to how well they execute everything. But I think they'll pull it off. None of the third-party Silent Hills have been exactly bad. Gotta give 'em some encouragement!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Speedymanic said:
Had better not be.

They don't look remotely scary or monster like. :/

It really all comes down to blending the environment and the monsters. You can make a human being scary if the environment is fit and creepy. Kinda like Haunting Ground.

You know what'd be more creepy than anything? ULTROS' avatar. Imagine turning a corner in a dark corridor and seeing that shit. :lol

ULTROS!

My avatar will definitely blend in Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Clock Tower combined.

Orobi

disappeared said:
Originally Posted by Orobi: Full video gameplay, 1080p quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq7jPR-NBq8

Full 700MB avi for your gaming sites and fanzines:
http://rapidshare.com/files/40320885...part1.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/40320962...part2.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/40321047...part3.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/40321122...part4.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/40321207...part5.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/40321314...part6.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/40321403...part7.rar.html

http://i46.tinypic.com/hwg7wm.jpg[IMG]
Orobi I love you.

Downloading all of that when I get home at 5. :D[/QUOTE]

:) I can upload more HD trailers from Konami conference to RS and YT if you need.

Hydrargyrus said:
It would be great if they implement move features. That will increase a lot my interest for this game

Shattered Memories on the Wii was one thing, but somehow I don't think a game like Silent Hill would benefit from Move and/or Kinect.

ram said:
the unreal engine needs to... DIE once and for all.

a bit harsh but... i agree especially with this game. i DON'T want to see a Silent Hill game using an engine i've grown tired of seeing :( i want Silent Hill to have a more unique look. but that's just me.

i'll take any Silent Hill game i can though. no music from Yamaoka hurts bad though... real bad.

Top Bottom