• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Species Of Raptor Discovered In Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

Jokergrin said:
Raptor Jesus is pleased

Raptor Jesus needs to be updated with a parrot-like animal on his shoulder. Which is cooler, because then you just need to add an eyepatch and he is a Pirate Messiah.

CrazyDude said:
I wonder what human with feather would look like.
0o5qt.jpg

Glasswork said:
Heh, no, dinosaurs were never a big thing around here when I was younger, so I never really got this idea of how a dinosaur 'should' look.

I will tell you this is how they looked like

DinosaursRef.gif

they were crazy and awesome combined. If you want to touch dinosaurs than touch croc or lizard. also in the picture elephant and human are not dinosaurs

crazy monkey said:
that is a bird :( make raptor look like raptor again
seriously.
is there - accoring to today's science - any kind of medium sized theropod that looks like the jurassic park raptors? without feathers and all?
please say yes :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Glasswork said:
Heh, no, dinosaurs were never a big thing around here when I was younger, so I never really got this idea of how a dinosaur 'should' look.
Did you grow up on an isolated island?

Qwomo said:
Dinosaurs are reptiles.

Unless you mean birds of prey. Those are birds.
Not quite true.
The truth is even stranger, according to modern phylogeny.
Birds are reptiles, and (what I personally find almost unbelievable) crocodiles are more closely related to birds than to "classic" reptiles.
9076032.jpg

Blackface

Banned
Darklord said:
I always found it weird. No reptiles these days have feathers, crocs never got them. Why would a t-rex? I can see some having them but not the entire time surely.

Most dinosaurs are more bird then reptile by a huge margin.

hteng

Banned
i remember watching Discovery Science, they theorized that Dinosaurs evolved from birds, so yea, they are closer to birds than to lizards.

hteng said:
i remember watching Discovery Science, they theorized that Dinosaurs evolved from birds, so yea, they are closer to birds than to lizards.
From birds, or they evolve into birds?

I haven't read about dinosaurs since I was ten. I'll probably watch Jurassic Park later too.

KamenSenshi

Strafer said:
This was an awesome reply, many laughs were had, thank you good sir.

At least the image in the op looks close to a JP raptor that just happens to have feathers. Even though they look more menacing without feathers I'm getting used to the idea that when they do make the next JP, there will be feathers.

crazy monkey said:
I will tell you this is how they looked like

they were crazy and awesome combined. If you want to touch dinosaurs than touch croc or lizard. also in the picture elephant and human are not dinosaurs

That image seriously has a Pachy larger than a T-rex; what the hell?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Darklord said:
I always found it weird. No reptiles these days have feathers, crocs never got them. Why would a t-rex? I can see some having them but not the entire time surely.
I would think that the crocodile line split off long before feathers evolved. Wikipedia claims that:

The ground-breaking discovery of fossilized Tyrannosaurus rex soft tissue allowed a molecular comparison of cellular anatomy and protein sequencing of collagen tissue, both of which demonstrated that T. rex and birds are more closely related to each other than either is to Alligator.
SleepyJohn11 said:
From birds, or they evolve into birds?

I haven't read about dinosaurs since I was ten. I'll probably watch Jurassic Park later too.
Discovery News:

John Ruben, a professor of zoology at Oregon State University, authored a commentary on the PNAS paper. Ruben doesn't dispute that birds and dinosaurs likely shared a common ancestor. Per the study, however, he suggests that once birds started down their own evolutionary path they may have given rise to raptors. This is where the debate heats up because he and others contend that very bird-like 'dinosaurs,' such as Velociraptor, may have actually been more bird than dinosaur.

The hypothesis is that the raptor evolved from some sort of proto-birds on the evolutionary path to modern birds, as opposed to a dinosaur that helped give rise to proto-birds. I'm still somewhat skeptical, however.

Wait. So are birds reptiles?

I am trying to understand here:

- Dinosaurs basically were bird/reptile hybrids?
- Modern birds and reptiles descended from dinosaurs?
- Birds retained feathers, reptiles didn't?

or are reptiles not actually descendants of dinosaurs as once thought?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Obsessed said:

Birds are reptiles according to the Biology class I took last year.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aren't birds warm-blooded?

Goddamn do I have to retake high school bio at some point in the future?

IceCold

Obsessed said:

Birds evolved from dinosaurs. When (most) dinosaurs got extinct, only the smaller, more bird like dinosaurs survived (except for crocodiles and stuff). Today, birds still contain genes from dinosaurs, such as the genes to have teeth. Scientists if they wanted to, could activate those genes in a bird and create a bird-dinosaur hybrid.

IceCold said:
Birds evolved from dinosaurs. When (most) dinosaurs got extinct, only the smaller, more bird like dinosaurs survived (except for crocodiles and stuff). Today, birds still contain genes from dinosaurs, such as the genes to have teeth. Scientists if they wanted to, could activate those genes in a bird and create a bird-dinosaur hybrid.

Crocodiles aren't dinosaurs.

Obsessed said:

I thought dinosaurs evolved from reptiles, or, essentially, were reptiles, what with the scaly skin and eggs and all. Birds evolved from that, so instead of retaining feathers, they 'developed' them

Byakuya769 said:
they are however directly descended from them.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Birds share a single clade with reptiles. A "monophyletic group" includes all descendants of a last common ancestor. However, birds are classified as avian and not reptilian. Or something. I'm not entirely sure how scientists classify these things.
crazy monkey said:
^^ as it says debate and fight. I choose the winning side the right side the non feather side.
That's merely talking about the raptor's phylogeny, I believe, not necessarily its physiology. However, I don't know if a consensus has developed over the question of the raptor's feathers.

IceCold

Byakuya769 said:

They practically are though. They existed with dinosaurs and descend from them just like birds do. In fact, the closest living relative to birds are crocodiles.

Pixel Pete said:
they are however directly descended from them.

Is this new science? They're considered more closely related, sharing common ancestry in archosaurs, but for crocodiles to be "directly descended" from dinosaurs they would have to practically be dinosaurs themselves. Instead, crocodiles have more primitive features than most sub jurassic period dinosaurs.

Treo360

Halycon said:
Ahem.

Daily Mail.

There was a BBC special that showed this, so it has been done (not alligator snout). The chickens embryos where given teeth and even a longer tail (I'm sketchy on the tail though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom