• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Species Of Raptor Discovered In Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Some dinosaurs had feathers. Pluto isn't a planet. Santa Claus isn't real. Science is greater than your nostalgia. Deal with it.

hirokazu

I'm surprised at how many people are still whining about feathered raptors. I thought most people just accepted the evidence already. No big deal, unless you worship unfeathered raptors as part of your religion or something.

Mr. Sam

Try to imagine yourself in the Cretaceous Period. You get your first look at this "six foot turkey" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head. And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Velociraptor. You stare at him, and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two 'raptors you didn't even know were there. Because Velociraptor's a pack hunter, you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this; a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, say, no no. He slashes at you here... or here... or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is... you are alive when they start to eat you. So, you know... try to show a little respect.

Strafer said:
ian0qf9.gif

Goldblum is such a badass.

Velociraptor-1-300x225.jpg

rawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrr look at this mofo

velociraptor1un5.jpg

he runs so fast like light rawwwwwwwwwr

.%5C20030630-2444-DDM-Velociraptor.jpg

they hunt in packs and they jump higher than anybody crazy. you are dead if they sense you rawwwwwr

NekoFever

Anyone who's interested in dinosaur/bird evolution should hunt down the episode of Inside Nature's Giants where they dissect a cassowary. There are so many similarities it's crazy, and they're vicious.

Check out those feet!

T0jZA.jpg

IceCold said:
They practically are though. They existed with dinosaurs and descend from them just like birds do. In fact, the closest living relative to birds are crocodiles.

Er, crocodiles didn't descend from dinosaurs, but a common ancestor of both that lived hundreds of million years ago. That a bird's closest non-avian relative is a crocodile means only that there are no surviving non-avian dinosaur descendants.

Qwomo said:
Page 2 of this thread gives me ulcers.

I'm going to need some antacid.

So what exactly happened to the theory that T-Rex was warm blooded? Along with a lot of other dinos. One of the few ways to explain such rapid growth.

y2dvd

Link wouldn't dare fuck with raptorchickens. Imagine him picking at one on and then the whole mob swarms and attacks.

You are already dead

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Thunder Monkey said:
So what exactly happened to the theory that T-Rex was warm blooded? Along with a lot of other dinos. One of the few ways to explain such rapid growth.
It's still around:

Researchers led by Herman Pontzer at Washington University in St Louis examined the anatomical details of 14 dinosaurs of different sizes to work out how much energy the animals might have needed to move around. He found that, for dinosaurs weighing from a few kilograms to tonnes, the power their muscles needed was far too high for the animals to have been cold-blooded.

The Wikipedia page is much more thorough and gives evidence for both sides.

Deinonychus is probably the closest a real life dino gets to the Jurassic Park raptors. It's essentially a bigger Velociraptor anyway, and it's pretty the much same as the movie representation but with the possibility of having feathers.

Edit: And a little bit of research shows that Crichton did base the raptors on Deinonychus, which was wrongly grouped with raptors in a book he used for research. They probably just decided that Velociraptor is a cooler than than Deinonychus in the end.

Obsessed said:
Wait. So are birds reptiles?

I am trying to understand here:

- Dinosaurs basically were bird/reptile hybrids?
- Modern birds and reptiles descended from dinosaurs?
- Birds retained feathers, reptiles didn't?

or are reptiles not actually descendants of dinosaurs as once thought?
Nobody thought reptiles were "descendants" of dinosaurs, dinosaurs are simply a group of reptiles that for the most part went extinct 65 million years ago. The only surviving clade of dinosaurs are the birds.

Pixel Pete said:
they are however directly descended from them.
This is incorrect. Dinosaurs and crocodilians are both archosaurs, sharing a common ancestor.

Gramercy.1

Neo Member
Reptiles bone structure is completly different than dinos. Dinos had wieght bearing bones, reptiles do not. end of discussion.

Byakuya769 said:
Is this new science? They're considered more closely related, sharing common ancestry in archosaurs, but for crocodiles to be "directly descended" from dinosaurs they would have to practically be dinosaurs themselves. Instead, crocodiles have more primitive features than most sub jurassic period dinosaurs.
AFAIR, this is correct. All three groups are archosaurs.
Crocodilians were among the first archosaurs to appear in the early triassic, dinosaurs evolved a bit later, in the late triassic.
Dinosaurs do not directly originate from crocodiles, and the other way round would be impossible anyway because crocs are older.

Gramercy.1 said:
Reptiles bone structure is completly different than dinos. Dinos had wieght bearing bones, reptiles do not. end of discussion.
Wat.
Dinosaurs are reptiles, as are birds. End of discussion.
I've never even heard of the weight bearing bone stuff, care to enlighten me?
What do you think bears the weight of non-serpentine reptiles, cartilage?

Sibylus

Banned
Josh7289 said:
I think the bird-like dinosaurs look even more badass and exotic than the old ones.
Yup, and I most certainly don't look at birds quite the same way.

I'm onto you, birds. I know you're conniving little raptors with wings >:|

CrudeDiatribe said:
Er, crocodiles didn't descend from dinosaurs, but a common ancestor of both that lived hundreds of million years ago. That a bird's closest non-avian relative is a crocodile means only that there are no surviving non-avian dinosaur descendants.

Right. According to animal planet's website:

Crocodilians are an order of the Archosaur family and were dominant during the Cretaceous period - also known as the Age of Reptiles.

Archosaurs - which means ruling lizards - emerged about 250 million years ago during the late Permian period.

Around the late Triassic period (about 220 million years ago) they divided into two evolutionary lines - one into crocodiles and another into dinosaurs and birds.

The oldest crocodile fossil found was called Protosuchus (meaning "first crocodile"). It was 240 million years old and thrived during the Jurassic period.

In fact, most early Archosaurs - in general - resembled modern-day crocodiles, with narrow skulls, pointed snouts, teeth set in sockets and a modified ankle joint.

Tyrant_Onion said:
Yeah, fuck scientific advancements and get even further back:

U0psy.jpg

I will never accept upright legs!

That reminds me. I've read about this dumb theory before, but I never found out when someone suggested this pose for dinosaurs.

And dinosaurs were thought to be closely related to bird as far back as the mid/late 1800's by some the earliest paleontologists. They later abandoned this theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom