• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SSX: Deadly Descents news from Official Xbox Magazine (WoW on a snowboard!!!)

gondee

The March 2011 Official X-box Magazine came out a few days ago with an article on SSX DD.

Creative director Todd Batty says everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are Wii games. He says that there are 10 "gamer types" for video games including "Explorers" who love big open worlds, "Managers" who love bartering and trading goods, and "Monsters" who mess people up. He says World of Warcraft hits nine of these types, and SSX DD currently hits 8, which is 2 more than SSX 3.

Summary of concrete features:
  • Right now, the game is split into 3 main modes. Campaign - where you tackle the 9 Deadly Descents, Explore, and Live Events. Xbox magazine seems to think this last option is for online events.
  • Plot: 3 returning characters including Zoe Payne get tired of the typical snowboard competition scene and form the SSX corporation to tackle the 9 deadliest mountains around the world. Some old characters join in for the challenge, but one drops out to race to get all 9 mountains done before the others. You step in as the new character "Jack", who is featured in all the screenshots.
  • Rewind feature is confirmed, though there will be some sort of penalty for using it
  • Batty says the danger element bridges the gap to an action-adventure game.
  • In-game equipment like ice axes will be able to be powered up through an RPG-type power-up system and that overusing them will incur an in-game penalty. He says you won't be able to just 'fly through' a level.
  • 200-300 tracks through 9 peaks. I would say "tracks" are more like "paths" than tracks in the old way of thinking.
  • Expect Split/Second-type set pieces on every mountain, but they are not scripted events.
  • You pick the tracks you race through a "Google Earth" type interface, which you can zoom in and out and pick which path you'd like the helicopter to drop you on.
  • Now the doozy - Batty says they've simplified the process to do tricks from "nine inputs down to two". According to X-box magazine, they watched as he used the two analog sticks for the trick inputs: the left stick jumps and does spins, and sweeping motions with the right stick do tricks. Looks like some sort of Skate mechanic will make it through to the game. I have a strong hunch that Uber tricks will not make it into the game.
  • Batty says he's got a unique way of including the score-multiplier feature from the old games without resorting to large neon-colored snowflakes that ruin the feeling of reality.
  • Finally, it seems like it might be a 2012 release. Batty mentions that they have 15-months of development left on the game.

And finally, X-box magazine says that while fans are wondering "Why So Serious?" with SSX, they wonder if the fans shouldn't give EA the benefit of the doubt. After all, Heath Ledger as the Joker worked out well, didn't it?

Yes it did. But EA is not Christopher Nolan. Nowadays, their studio is more like Uwe Boll.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
gondee said:
  • Now the doozy - Batty says they've simplified the process to do tricks from "nine inputs down to two". According to X-box magazine, they watched as he used the two analog sticks for the trick inputs: the left stick jumps and does spins, and sweeping motions with the right stick do tricks. Looks like some sort of Skate mechanic will make it through to the game. I have a strong hunch that Uber tricks will not make it into the game.
  • Batty says he's got a unique way of including the score-multiplier feature from the old games without resorting to large neon-colored snowflakes that ruin the feeling of reality.

ijjH3g.gif

So who was it that kept saying that we shouldn't worry about the direction that this game was going in after we saw the teaser?

gondee said:
Uuuuuuh... Yeah...

This isn't SSX. (Doesn't seem like a horrible game, but this isn't anything I wanted at all. :( )

gondee said:
The March 2010 Official X-box Magazine came out a few days ago with an article on SSX DD.

Creative director Sean Batty everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are Wii games. He says that there are 10 "gamer types" for video games including "Explorers" who love big open worlds, "Managers" who love bartering a trading goods, and "Monsters" who mess people up. He says World of Warcraft hits nine of these types, and SSX DD currently hits 8, which is 2 more than SSX 3.

Summary of concrete features:
  • Right now, the game is split into 3 main modes. Campaign - where you tackle the 9 Deadly Descents, Explore, and Live Events. Xbox magazine seems to think this last option is for online events.
  • Plot: 3 returning characters including Zoe Payne get tired of the typical snowboard competition scene and form the SSX corporation to tackle the 9 deadliest mountains around the world. Some old characters join in for the challenge, but one drops out to race to get all 9 mountains done before the others. You step in as the new character "Jack", who is featured in all the screenshots.
  • Replay feature is confirmed, though there will be some sort of penalty for using it
  • Batty says the danger element bridges the gap to an action-adventure game.
  • In-game equipment like ice axes will be able to be powered up through an RPG-type power-up system and that overusing them will incur an in-game penalty. He says you won't be able to just 'fly through' a level.
  • 200-300 tracks through 9 peaks. I would say "tracks" are more like "paths" than tracks in the old way of thinking.
  • Expect Split/Second-type set pieces on every mountain, but they are not scripted events.
  • You pick the tracks you race through a "Google Earth" type interface, which you can zoom in and out and pick which path you'd like the helicopter to drop you on.
  • Finally, it seems like it might be a 2012 release. Batty mentions that they have 15-months of development left on the game.

And finally, X-box magazine says that while fans are wondering "Why So Serious?" with SSX, they wonder if the fans shouldn't give EA the benefit of the doubt. After all, Heath Ledger as the Joker worked out well, didn't it?

Yes it did. But EA is not Christopher Nolan. Nowadays, their studio is more like Uwe Boll.

New news, new thread bro.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
SolidSnakex said:
So who was it that kept saying that we shouldn't worry about the direction that this game was going in after we saw the teaser?
It sounds just like SSX3 guys!

graywolf323

RIP SSX :'(

Plot: 3 returning characters including Zoe Payne get tired of the typical snowboard competition scene and form the SSX corporation to tackle the 9 deadliest mountains around the world. Some old characters join in for the challenge, but one drops out to race to get all 9 mountains done before the others. You step in as the new character "Jack", who is featured in all the screenshots.

wtf? SSX gets its own Tekken Corporation?

graywolf323 said:
RIP SSX :'(

Plot: 3 returning characters including Zoe Payne get tired of the typical snowboard competition scene and form the SSX corporation to tackle the 9 deadliest mountains around the world. Some old characters join in for the challenge, but one drops out to race to get all 9 mountains done before the others. You step in as the new character "Jack", who is featured in all the screenshots.

wtf? SSX gets its own Tekken Corporation?

Sounds like the development team just wove their own opinions into a narrative.

Empty

Creative director Sean Batty everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are Wii games.

this makes me sad. you can make light hearted retail games with personality and charm on hd consoles guys, you don't have to dudebro it.

Jin34

gondee said:
The March 2010 Official X-box Magazine came out a few days ago with an article on SSX DD.

Creative director Sean Batty everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are Wii games. He says that there are 10 "gamer types" for video games including "Explorers" who love big open worlds, "Managers" who love bartering a trading goods, and "Monsters" who mess people up. He says World of Warcraft hits nine of these types, and SSX DD currently hits 8, which is 2 more than SSX 3.

Its like if a marketing department designed/developed a game.

gondee

Pinko Marx said:
New news, new thread bro.
Gotcha. I tend to keep this stuff to a single thread but will make new ones from now on.

MindCollizion said:
Maybe it's inaccurate speculative information if it's from March 2010.
Thanks for spotting that. Fixed. Fixed some other spelling errors too.

Its like if a marketing department designed/developed a game.
Yep, in a nutshell. It's gonna be SSX On Tour 2 I think. A game they are sure will succeed based on focus groups but that no one actually enjoys.

gondee said:
EA is not Christopher Nolan. Nowadays, their studio is more like Uwe Boll.
i'd love to know why you think this.

i'd love another SSX 3 personally. i'm not writing this one off till i see more of it. i've enjoyed a fair few snowboarding games and it's been an age since we had a good one.

DD may be SSX in name only though, but that alone won't make it bad. we shall see.

captscience said:
The more I hear, the worse it gets. Going to put all my hopes behind a SSX HD collection.

That seems unlikely with these comments. Those HD Collection's are usually used to get people hyped up for a new (but similar) entry in a series. They seem to want to distance themselves from a lot of what those games represented so they'd be bad games to release in order to get them hyped for DD.

edgefusion

Gravijah said:
I'm gonna pretend this is an unrelated series and SSX is actually a word... pronounced...

sssssssssxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You mean like "sucks"? Because yeah, that sounds about right.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Holy shit... they sounds absolutely terrible.

I literally said "Noooo" when I read the thing about the analogue sticks. Also where the hell is video of this game?

gondee

plagiarize said:
i'd love to know why you think this.
I don't come to that conclusion on a whim. I run an SSX site and have gotten a lot of insight into the inner workings of the Vancouver studio from EA employees right up through when it got gutted from the NBA Elite fiasco, which hasn't given me a lot of confidence from the very start as to the direction of SSXDD. Anyone who says that marketing is the push behind this game is right, because the heads at EA don't have any confidence that the series can sell. Thus we get SSX Call of Duty.

Garjon

I genuinely cringed when I saw the phrase 'set pieces'. This is one of the worst things to emerge from this generation in terms of game design. It's lazy, uninteresting and completely ruins any replayability. This sort of thing has no place in 2011 in any game, let alone an SSX game.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I played devil's advocate after the announce trailer. Not enough to judge, pandering to a broad audience, wait for real info I said.

No more.

It doesn't sound like a terrible game. However, it doesn't sound like an SSX game, either.

At this point I feel like they can save some face by removing everything SSX from the game and releasing it as something else.

Empty

apana said:
What did he mean by the Wii games comment? Not good graphix?

i don't think so, as that would be a pointless comment. i think he meant that marketing people associate the wii with the likes of new super mario bros wii and the 360/ps3 with call of duty, so as ssx tricky and 3 are colourful and lighthearted they fall into the former and to make an hd game they have to make it just like the latter. which is a stunning statement about how people inside big game companies think.

Empty said:
i don't think so, as that would be a pointless comment. i think he meant that marketing people associate the wii with the likes of new super mario bros wii and the 360/ps3 with call of duty, so as ssx tricky and 3 are colourful and lighthearted they fall into the former and to make an hd game they have to make it just like the latter. which is a stunning statement about how people inside big game companies think.

Less stunning, more depressing.
Why does everything have to have a Call of Duty feel to it?

Top Bottom