• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SSX: Deadly Descents news from Official Xbox Magazine (WoW on a snowboard!!!)

Empty

Shiggy said:
Do only I expect this to be a commercial flop?

nope. i don't expect the dudebros to really care about snowboarding and its creative director was the lead designer on the panned facebreaker and seems to approach it from a 'let's throw every idea people have liked this gen together regardless of whether they make any fucking sense in this game' direction so i don't think it'll be helped by reviews or gameplay videos.

Mrbob

Good grief the creative director for SSX sounds like he is the David Ortiz of SSX. David Ortiz was the lead designer of "next gen" Madden when the series started its launch on 360 in 2005. He quit EA in early 2008. His vision completely screwed up the series and the current team at Tiburon is still cleaning up his mess.

http://media.www.ccnycampus.com/med...vid.Ortiz.The.Man.Behind.Madden-2259775.shtml

As Lead Producer, Ortiz is responsible for setting the vision and the feature set design for the product, making sure the team delivers a quality game based on the vision that he sets forth. He also has the task of working with marketing as a product spokesman planning the long term strategy for the product, ensuring inclusion of brand-wide initiatives.

Madden is still paying for his leadership and vision. Ortiz is also the guy who said 60FPS didn't matter in sports games and a solid 30 was fine. Once he left Madden got back to being 60FPS but the game still struggles with game play issues that can't fully be fixed until EA brings out a brand new engine. This isn't going to happen on the current machines either. I'm getting flashbacks here of terrible vision about to ruin another EA franchise.

gondee

Gondee i think your avatar is currently to big.
Thanks, I changed it. No need to fix it for me though. :)

If they want to test out some wild gameplay experiment, why not just make a new franchise? It's not like fans of the old games will buy the new, completely different games.
I don't think EA would make a snowboarding game if it wasn't tied to the SSX brand name. That lack of confidence from EA I mentioned extends to the extreme sports brand as a whole, that's part of the reason they did away with EA BIG. I don't think they would have made the game at all if it hadn't been EA's most requested sequel ever (according to the article.) From my sources, they've had 2-3 other pitches/attempts at making a new SSX, including a few much closer to the spirit of the last-gen series, but they were always canned by the uppity-ups at EA. You think it would be no-brainer, but when you run up against guys like Peter Moore who have no faith in SSX, you get where we are headed now.

Garjon

Shiggy said:
Do only I expect this to be a commercial flop?
Nope, a combination of an already milked to death subgenre, an 'extreme' sport and the alteration of a cult franchise to pander to that subgenre make for a very poor sales forecast.

Disguises

gondee said:
[*]Batty says he's got a unique way of including the score-multiplier feature from the old games without resorting to large neon-colored snowflakes that ruin the feeling of reality.
Err... Yeah - because we all used to play SSX due to how realistic it was...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It doesn't sound encouraging at all. I mean, I was already disappointed when I saw the reveal trailer, but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...not after these details or comments made by the creative director. Fuck that comment he made about Tricky. It should have just been a new IP and none of us would have a problem, really.

Meh, they can do what they want if they give me a good snowboarding game.

I'm extremely disinterested now but will wait for gameplay to make my final judgment.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
why people are so angry about this?

the info sounds cool. I have never played SSX game and I'm mildly interested.

edgefusion

subversus said:

Go play SSX3 or SSX Tricky and you will understand why people are so angry.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
SolidSnakex said:
I'm pretty sure that the laughing smiley wouldn't be appropriate for this unless you hate the series.
Or unless you want to discuss those SSX3 comparisons.

Amir0x

Banned
gondee said:
[*]Now the doozy - Batty says they've simplified the process to do tricks from "nine inputs down to two". According to X-box magazine, they watched as he used the two analog sticks for the trick inputs: the left stick jumps and does spins, and sweeping motions with the right stick do tricks. Looks like some sort of Skate mechanic will make it through to the game. I have a strong hunch that Uber tricks will not make it into the game.

And this is where the game lost the benefit of the doubt from me for good. Ridge Racer is dead and now SSX.

Sad time for arcade racers of any type :(

SolidSnakex said:
I'm pretty sure that the laughing smiley wouldn't be appropriate for this unless you hate the series.
It's a coping mechanism. One of my favourite series has been completely dismantled, all I can do is laugh.

:(

orznge

Banned
Pretty strange that four directions on the d-pad and four shoulder buttons and a boost button are somehow thought of as nine distinct inputs by even a single person?

subversus said:
that looked stupid and funny in a good way.

It looked like it had a ton of personality. This new game looks so....not SSX.

Like the comment above, all I want is to do crazy tricks with a ton of fireworks going off in the middle of a pack of highly talkative unique personalities on great tracks.

Empty

subversus said:
that looked stupid and funny in a good way.

exactly

it's why i loved it. the fun techno music, the silly characters, the crazy tracks and tricks. this effort where 'realism' is emphasized is just bluergh.

Barrett2

Article said:
Creative director Todd Batty says everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are Wii games. He says that there are 10 "gamer types" for video games including "Explorers" who love big open worlds, "Managers" who love bartering and trading goods, and "Monsters" who mess people up. He says World of Warcraft hits nine of these types, and SSX DD currently hits 8, which is 2 more than SSX 3.

Sweet baby Jesus. Hahahahaha

apana said:
What did he mean by the Wii games comment? Not good graphix?

I think he meant cartoon like gfx, but I remember the SSX games being graphically very nice

regardless, this info has killed my interest for this game

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
After all the doom and gloom resulting from a CG trailer (and the other sparse info we had), I was still somewhat optimistic that when we got some more details, they'd be promising. But no — this sounds really, really stupid. Remove the SSX name, expectations, etc. from the equation and it still sounds just awful.

gokieks

I will forever treasure the first 3 games (especially Tricky). That said, with this, the franchise is completely dead to me.

seanoff

subversus said:

because it would be like taking GT/Forza and turning them into a anime Mario Kart ripoff with dumbed down controls.

FFS EA. interest gone. this isn't SSX. not even close

RedSwirl

gondee said:
Batty says the danger element bridges the gap to an action-adventure game.

This is exactly what SSX does not need to be. We have too many goddamn action-adventure games (and probably movies too). Action-adventure has just become another word for "committee-designed crap."

captscience said:
The more I hear, the worse it gets. Going to put all my hopes behind a SSX HD collection.

It's starting to reach the point where HD ports of oldschool games might be preferable to new games altogether.

Here's what might be the kicker: If Deadly Descents came with an HD port of SSX3 for pre-ordering or getting the special edition, would you buy Deadly Descents?

edgefusion

RedSwirl said:
Here's what might be the kicker: If Deadly Descents came with an HD port of SSX3 for pre-ordering or getting the special edition, would you buy Deadly Descents?

I would buy it twice.

Edit: vvvv What he said.

RedSwirl said:

I'd walk out of the store, 180 back in, trade Deadly Descents in and keep the promo HD SSX3. Problem solved.

Nintendo PLEASE bring back 1080! Give it to Next Level! E3 reveal!

apana said:
What did he mean by the Wii games comment? Not good graphix?
I think he meant it looked FUN. As opposed to GRITTY or INTENSE or DUDEBRO.

Xav

The more I read about this SSX game the less excited I become. Hopefully there is a Wii version in the works and it plays like SSX Blur. Screw the haters, I enjoyed Blur.

Top Bottom