• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New study projects drop in Millenial voter turnout in 2018

At a certain point you're more concerned about looking after yourself than everyone else, you dont even have the time to vote because you have to work that day and can't take the day off, or you're a single mother and can't leave your children alone there's a myriad of reasons why people can't vote, to distill it down to just laziness and apathy is wrong (though there is a ton of apathy)

Voting out bad horrific politicians is looking out for yourself.... so don't try to couch this in some form of morally justified selfishness...

You're the one who argued it as apathy...

Again are you just looking for someone to tell you that it's ok to not engage in the democratic process?

The difference is the rate of decline they're estimating for the groups relative to each other.

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me young voters do not participate in midterm elections as much as they do in presidential ones by a large amount? This is all well known just by a cursory glance at historical data.

kirblar

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me young voters do not participate in midterm elections as much as they do in presidential ones?
No, it's the dropoff in these groups relative to the dropoffs in other groups.

The worry being here that the drop-off gap could work against the enthusiasm gap in '18.

Eusis

I'd normally prefer not to be TOO insulting to people who don't vote, but if you're looking at this and going "I don't need to vote" you are a FUCKING imbecile.

You're the one who argued it as apathy...

Again are you just looking for someone to tell you that it's ok to not engage in the democratic process?
I'm not the one voting in your elections, this is my takeaway from my own conversations with friends and family in the US, we actually instituted a fine over here if you don't vote which would probably wouldn't work where you guys are because some seeing it as an encroachment on freedom or something

No, it's the dropoff in these groups relative to the dropoffs in other groups.

The worry being here that the drop-off gap could work against the enthusiasm gap in '18.

Again, even the relative drop-off is nothing new. Younger votes are the least reliable bloc, especially in midterm elections. What revelation did this study provide?

jWILL253

Banned
When you don't have a convincing vision or message other than "continue down the same path", honestly you shouldn't expect much

Don't blame young people for not wanting to buy in this time

Fuckouttahere.

I'm 26, and if you out here choosing to aggressively display apathy & contempt for your country and fellow countrymen by not voting, then you should shut your dumb ass up and stop complaining about the problems you're contributing to by not voting.

I'm not the one voting in your elections, this is my takeaway from my own conversations with friends and family in the US, we actually instituted a fine over here if you don't vote which would probably wouldn't work where you guys are

I'm not American either...

You know you should probably make that clear that you're not even talking about something that will actually affect you when you make moral excuses

DominoKid

i believe it. the results (first hillary over bernie, then trump over hillary) dispirited a lot of the youth when it should've energized them

I'm not American either...

You know you should probably make that clear that you're not even talking about something that will actually affect you when you make moral excuses
Who says this won't affect me? Multiple posters have made the assertion that this election will affect the entire world. When trump won I was fucking furious as well, especially seeing as I couldn't actually do anything about it.

Slime

Banned
I hope they all can't afford their next iPhone so we don't have to hear them whining about all the horrible shit they let happen.

Kids are morons. I hope they actually turn out but if not, thanks again for fucking us (re: yourselves) over.

THIS IS WHY YOU'RE STILL KIDS, BECAUSE YOU'RE STUPID

Who says this won't affect me? Multiple posters have made the assertion that this election will affect the entire world. When trump won I was fucking furious as well, especially seeing as I couldn't actually do anything about it.

And now you're making moral justifications for people, who could actually do something about it, not doing so?

How is that helpful?

FStubbs

If they don't vote, they're saying that they're okay with Trump's policies. The country will move even further right.

People don't understand that "not voting" is voting too. Do they teach civics anymore?

And now you're making moral justifications for people who could actually do something about it not doing so?

How is that helpful?
It's not, I'm just trying to get to the core reason for their apathy, if you want to bring them out to vote you do need to appeal to them, they're not going to tow the party line like the myriad of racists and misogynists who do so for the Repubs every election, you guys can type furiously at me all you want but that is the truth

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Here in WA and in a few other states they just mail the bloomin' ballots to everybody. Then you either mail 'em back or put it in a drop box.

No lines. No waiting. Boom done.

Many red states want less people to vote, so this is a long way from becoming widespread. I doubt that will happen in Alabama in my lifetime.

Sami+

There's nothing to inspire people, why vote?

I mean, I vote in every election. I'm just speaking to the depressive atmosphere and lack of genuine, passionate candidates.

Because Republicans are literally letting people die and destroying the planet but people my age are fucking morons who think both sides are the same half the time.

FStubbs

Isn't getting out the vote in midterms one of Obama's focuses post-presidency? Wtf is he doing?

Being an ex-president. He's done enough. He's not the savior. It's time for the people of this country to decide what they want. If the left can't get off their butts for one day or two to vote (the ones who still can vote, that is), then they're okay with Trump and the right.

Alienfan

Voting should be compulsory. You vote or you get a fine like in Australia. Everyone's vote should be equal also, none of this let's give more power to the uneducated.

America will get what it deserves.

Leave the country if you can.

I tell my wife all the time we need to move further north closer to sane America and/or Canada for the future of our children. There's too much apathy to overcome in the US, the outlook is not good at all.

Until election day is a national holiday I don't want to hear people shitting on the millennials for not voting. They're probably working to pay off their student loans.

Voting should be compulsory. You vote or you get a fine like in Australia. Everyone's vote should be equal also, none of this let's give more power to the uneducated.

would require a constitutional amendment to get rid of the electoral college if i'm not mistaken and that won't happen tanks to the deep south

It's not, I'm just trying to get to the core reason for their apathy, if you want to bring them out to vote you do need to appeal to them, they're not going to tow the party line like the myriad of racists and misogynists who do so for the Repubs every election, you guys can type furiously at me all you want but that is the truth

You literally said the core reason they don't want to vote is Trump is in power and now they're depressed.... What can you possibly say to that?

Until election day is a national holiday I don't want to hear people shitting on the millennials for not voting. They're probably working to pay off their student loans.

I work, raise two kids, have students loans to pay off, and I haven't missed an election since I turned 18. Enough with the damn excuses.

That's it, lets do what they did to Poe and round up random folks and force them to vote and then collect them, change their outfit and force them to vote again. If millenials are this terrible...we are fucked.

Republicans will always vote and always vote Republican, you want to get them from stop doing shitty things, vote against them and vote for Democrats (and before anyone says anything, we are a 2 party system, sorry, the third parties exist because legally they should, but they will never win anything).

Shauni

I mean, yeah, I agree with those saying this is common knowledge. Not to say it's not a problem or anything, but everyone becoming that Elmo in hell gif about this is being pretty weird, that or they're just not aware how much the youth vote drops from Presidential to midterm elections.

I don't particularly know what can be done about it, though. There's a lot of untapped potential therefore for the left, I imagine, but I have no clue how to get there. Celebrity endorsements in the past doesn't seem to do much. It just seems to be a thing that's developed in the culture of the country that voting just isn't something you really do until you get older. I don't know why, but I remember reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 and Hunter S. Thompson writing about courting the 'Youth Vote' was one of the great follies of many politicians. That was almost 50 years ago.

Shauni

would require a constitutional amendment to get rid of the electoral college if i'm not mistaken and that won't happen tanks to the deep south

To make voting mandatory? I don't think so, at least not to get rid of the electoral college, you can have mandatory voting with the college still in place.

psyfi

Banned
I'm 32 and I don't know anyone around my age who believes in the US government. Pretty much everyone views voting as harm reduction: slowing the persistent violence waged against the world by the United States. Local elections are a different story, people feel like they can affect some scarce significance in voting in those.

With that, damn near everyone I know will be voting the safe route during the next presidential election. Democrat.

Top Bottom