• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Graces f English Screenshots

Polyphonic

Neo Member
Asbel is no Yuri. In fact I dislike Asbel for most of the game. It isn't until the last major cutscene that I like him.

The game has quite a bit of cutscenes.

Rofl, that sucks cuz Jude in Xillia might as well be Edge.

Does Jude have nervous breakdowns and cant handle the least bit of responsibility? :O

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Asbel is no Yuri. In fact I dislike Asbel for most of the game. It isn't until the last major cutscene that I like him.
I think the only reason why I'm rather partial to Asbel is because he's great to use manually, and because he's voiced by Takahiro Sakurai, lol. Outside of that, mamoru mamoru mamoru.

Uh... well... yeah something similar to Edge happens.
Well, it doesn't last long anyway... And Xillia does it better than SO4 (even though that isn't really a high bar, but, well, you know...)

Also, to be fair, Jude's a 15-year-old medical student, so that bit doesn't necessarily strike me as bad all things considered.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
and [/spoiler] at the end. Also, Schala, check out the comments on TGV and N4G on my review.

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST. Trying to explain spoilers.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Agreed! No spoilers allowed.
That's what spoiler tags are for.

kayos90 said:
He's clingy. Let's just say he acts his age.
Yeah, pretty much. But I would've preferred to get Jude as my preorder bonus rather than Milla. :(

I don't dislike Jude, though. Actually, there aren't a lot of characters in Xillia that I actively dislike. In general, characters in games have to be utterly terrible, have really garbage dialogue, and written/evolved poorly for me to find them abhorrent.

Just glanced at the OT for a bit. Looks good so far. I think we're almost done?

kiryogi

Banned
wagh.

The word "archaic" makes me rage. (._. )

Just because you don't like something, and it happens to be in older games, that doesn't mean it's an outdated design decision. And even then, I have no idea how "dialog boxes" can be considered archaic in the first place. That's just weird.

It's my fault isn't it ? :D It's funny to look back at.

kayos90

It's my fault isn't it ? :D It's funny to look back at.

Oh, you felt the same way? I didn't know that. Rofl.

That's what spoiler tags are for.

Yeah, pretty much. But I would've preferred to get Jude as my preorder bonus rather than Milla. :(

I don't dislike Jude, though. Actually, there aren't a lot of characters in Xillia that I actively dislike. In general, characters in games have to be utterly terrible, have really garbage dialogue, and written/evolved poorly for me to find them abhorrent.

Just glanced at the OT for a bit. Looks good so far. I think we're almost done?

I need to hop off my mac and get on the library computer to finish. *sigh*. I think I will. I'm just too lazy.

He's clingy. Let's just say he acts his age.

Doesn't seem too bad of a character problem. I mean I endured and tolerated Luke
pre hair cut
so I should able to tolerate Jude.

kiryogi

Banned
Oh, you felt the same way? I didn't know that. Rofl.

I need to hop off my mac and get on the library computer to finish. *sigh*. I think I will. I'm just too lazy.

Uh not quite, I caused this tiff with Aeana awhile back with the word "Archaic". . .

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
and [/spoiler] at the end. Also, Schala, check out the comments on TGV and N4G on my review.
Taking a small break from studying, so let's check this out...

OMG. Ahahahahaha. Jesus Christ. Hey, remember that review scale thing I posted on the last page? This is what happens when that disparity occurs. Seems to me that they just looked at the score and overall dismissed it. "Your review reads like an 8.5, but you gave it a 7, wtffffff". This is why I generally dislike giving any games scores, period.

And this gem:
Vesperia is easily the best Tales game since the first Symphonia on GC. I have played around 6 hours of Graces F and it sucks. Graphics are bad and the overall game feels like it's 2 gens old.
Because six hours of gameplay out of a 35-hour game is enough for someone to make an adequate judgement.

kayos90

Doesn't seem too bad of a character problem. I mean I endured and tolerated Luke
pre hair cut
so I should able to tolerate Jude.

If you can tolerate Luke Pre-hair and Edge post trauma, you can handle anything. Having said that, it's sort of... off-putting to see Jude how he acts in Xillia throughout the entirety of the game.

Taking a small break from studying, so let's check this out...

OMG. Ahahahahaha. Jesus Christ. Hey, remember that review scale thing I posted on the last page? This is what happens when that disparity occurs. Seems to me that they just looked at the score and overall dismissed it. "Your review reads like an 8.5, but you gave it a 7, wtffffff". This is why I generally dislike giving any games scores, period.

And this gem:

Because six hours of gameplay out of a 35-hour game is enough for someone to make an adequate judgement.

Rofl, this is the worse one imo.
Most Western reviewer-journalist types have no business reviewing JRPGs.
From what I can tell, in many cases, they just simply don't understand them, the nuances and difference of culture and difference of story & gameplay styles.

For better on point reviews of JRPGs, you should visit SPECIALIZED sites like RPG GAMER or RPG FAN.

No offence to them, but I get the impression that 'thegamingvault' just isn't really up to the specialized task here......not really.
Ugh.

kayos90

Speaking of which... the 'latest' tales games I've played is symphonia 2. Are all the ones post abyss mocaped?

First time I've heard of this. From what I've seen, the animations in Graces and Xillia are too rigged to be mocapped. Maybe, maybe xillia.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
kayos90 said:
Rofl, this is the worse one imo.

Ugh.
I was going to highlight that gem, but I found it too hilarious. Assumptions, assumptions. Seems like you need a thick skin to get into the business, eh? That comment reads like it didn't read the review and just checked the score. Reviewers typically write all the text before the score for a reason.

If I gave Sonic Colours an 8.5, and Sonic Generations an 8, then people would think I think it's average, even though that qualifies as "great" on my scale. People would think that I thought Generations is a worse game then Colours, even though I believe that Generations does some things better than Colours and that it complements Colours very well... but as an overall package, Colours is better. It's weird like that.

Since I gave Final Fantasy XIII the equivalent of a 6, people would think I found that the game sucked, even though on my scale, that rates as "average/middling", and that there were parts of it that I liked, and parts of it that I disliked, which I justified in my review text.

There aren't a lot of games out there that I'd hand a 10 over to. They have to blow me away to infinity and beyond before I give them a 10.

Those guys should check out the AniHawk scale, lol.

RPG fan is the only resource I use for RPG reviews. I've never seen a website be so spot on with my tastes. they treat WRPGs and JRPGs very fair. Everyone should just use them.

TEJ

If you can tolerate Luke Pre-hair

i liked luke slightly more when he was a jerk. after a certain event all he did most of the time was act mopey.

I was able to tolerate most of the star ocean 4. I kind of liked faize. Hated lymle and that idiot woman with wings. Reimi was tolerable, meracle was tolerable outside of her questionable outfit design. Edge was tolerable until certain spoilers.

I would hate the guy with the scyth if i could remember his name. Reminded me too much of Kratos from God of War. He had three personality traits. Getting angry, being angry, and being even angrier.

kayos90

RPG fan is the only resource I use for RPG reviews. I've never seen a website be so spot on with my tastes. they treat WRPGs and JRPGs very fair. Everyone should just use them.

I read the RPGFan review after that guy commented on it. He spends more time talking about the story than the actual gameplay which disappointed me.

I was going to highlight that gem, but I found it too hilarious. Assumptions, assumptions. Seems like you need a thick skin to get into the business, eh? That comment reads like it didn't read the review and just checked the score. Reviewers typically write all the text before the score for a reason.

If I gave Sonic Colours an 8.5, and Sonic Generations an 8, then people would think I think it's average, even though that qualifies as "great" on my scale. People would think that I thought Generations is a worse game then Colours, even though I believe that Generations does some things better than Colours and that it complements Colours very well... but as an overall package, Colours is better. It's weird like that.

Since I gave Final Fantasy XIII the equivalent of a 6, people would think I found that the game sucked, even though on my scale, that rates as "average/middling", and that there were parts of it that I liked, and parts of it that I disliked.

There aren't a lot of games out there that I'd hand a 10 over to. They have to blow me away to infinity and beyond before I give them a 10.

Those guys should check out the AniHawk scale, lol.

He gave MM a 7? I want to knwo why? When I look at the score I usually wonder why.

Speaking of Tales of Graces f spoilers:

Please answer someone who's beaten it:
One of my asshole friends spoiled that Richard is one of the main antagonists. Was this one of the main points of the game or is it fairly obvious?

I read the RPGFan review after that guy commented on it. He spends more time talking about the story than the actual gameplay which disappointed me.
I'd say it's covered well enough:

The main reason to play Tales of Graces is the same reason to play any other Tales game – the gameplay. It's no exaggeration to say that Graces has some of the best gameplay in the series. Battles are action oriented, and each character has two distinct styles of fighting, Arles and Burst. Both have different methods of attacking – Asbel's Arles skills, for example, are quick attacks with a sheathed blade, while his Burst skills are slower, more powerful attacks with a drawn blade. Tales of Graces utilizes the CC system from previous Team Destiny games, with each attack costing a different amount of CC. A character is able to continue chaining attacks for as long as she or he has CC. CC recharges when the character is defending or taking no action, so battles are a frequent struggle to maintain a steady chain of attacks while keeping CC in sufficient supply.

Characters learn abilities and skills not by leveling up, but by equipping various titles earned through story progression, sidequests, and gameplay achievements. Each title has five abilities and skills to learn, which are permanently applied to the character, as well as a passive skill only active while the title is equipped. The abilities from each title are learned through SP gained after every battle, and mastered titles are granted an improved passive skill. Some of these skills are useless, but others are incredibly useful, especially on higher difficulties, when even normal battles can become heated affairs.

The intense and entertaining battles are a welcome break from the game's generic approach to storytelling; the sequence of "town, dungeon, boss, repeat" got old a while ago. Still, Tales of Graces is quite a bit ahead of most other JRPG story structures (Final Fantasy XIII, I'm looking your way). Even the skits (called 'Groovy Chats' in this incarnation) are rather weak this time around, whereas they were comedy gold in previous games such as Tales of the Abyss. There are a good deal of sidequests and other extra content to be found in the game, and sidequest NPCs are conveniently marked with icons so that players don't miss anything within the small time frames in which those NPCs are available. The game offers a variety of difficulty levels for different people – players who just want to have fun without too many hangups can choose simpler difficulties, and those who want challenge and difficulty can ramp up the difficulty, which increases not only enemy stats but also the amount of SP gained after battle.

And they gave gameplay overall a 95%, so that speaks volumes. Maybe could be a bit more in depth.

Speaking of Tales of Graces f spoilers:

Please answer someone who's beaten it:
One of my asshole friends spoiled that Richard is one of the main antagonists. Was this one of the main points of the game or is it fairly obvious?

It gets revealed pretty earlyish, so it's not really something they are trying to hide.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i liked luke slightly more when he was a jerk. after a certain event all he did most of the time was act mopey.
I've said multiple times in this thread that Asshole Luke is Best Luke. Partially because of his dislike of Mieu.

He gave MM a 7? I want to knwo why? When I look at the score I usually wonder why.
I think it's because the typical RPG player pays more attention to the narrative of a game as opposed to the game part of the game. I'm... way different in that regard, so I usually go into an RPG knowing barely anything save for prerelease info and judging the game myself.

As for MM, I haven't seen his review of MM (I don't think he ever wrote one since that game's old), but I know he likes it. Anything over a 5 is something he likes. It probably has to do with the dungeons. IIRC, he said it had one good dungeon (Stone Tower Temple), and most of the game's worth comes from the sidequests. Basically, 25% of the game's main dungeons is good, which isn't really a good thing.

For reference, Ani gave SS an 8 on his scale.

Wow, didn't know about that bit about sidequest NPC's being marked. That's a breath of fresh air after Vesperia's incredibly easy to miss sidequests.

kayos90

I've said multiple times in this thread that Asshole Luke is Best Luke. Partially because of his dislike of Mieu.

I think it's because the typical RPG player pays more attention to the narrative of a game as opposed to the game part of the game. I'm... way different in that regard, so I usually go into an RPG knowing barely anything save for prerelease info and judging the game myself.

As for MM, I haven't seen his review of MM (I don't think he ever wrote one since that game's old), but I know he likes it. Anything over a 5 is something he likes. It probably has to do with the dungeons. IIRC, he said it had one good dungeon (Stone Tower Temple), and most of the game's worth comes from the sidequests. Basically, 25% of the game's main dungeons is good, which isn't really a good thing.

For reference, Ani gave SS an 8 on his scale.

Interesting. I'm on google doc btw.

TEJ

does tales of graces have any ridiculously absurd plot twists? ToS and TotA were full of them, and while I found the story in ToV to be better than them I missed the level of absurdity present in the previous tales of games.

kayos90

does tales of graces have any ridiculously absurd plot twists? ToS and TotA were full of them, and while I found the story in ToV to be better than them I missed the level of absurdity present in the previous tales of games.

Nope. No insanity plot twist. It's not Pandora Hearts. rofl.

Top Bottom