• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Graces f English Screenshots

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Meh, it was alright for me. I guess i was shocked that the Graces ending was so long. I wasn't expecting anything of this length.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I really disliked the school battle music. It's a shame because it has Hubert's best outfit imo. You could always put someone with another outfit with music and switch to them, but I still wish that Graces and Xillia had an option to disable DLC music. I'd rather hear the soundtrack of the game I'm currently playing than one I played years ago on my first couple playthroughs.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I do thank this thread for lowering my musical expectations since I typically have insanely high expectations for Tales soundtracks.

Heck, the Xillia OST sounds amazing :)

Seda

Listening to this stuff now and man I just don't remember any of it.

Like...at all.

images

kayos90

I remember them if I listen to them. I just don't care for most of them. I care more for the animations and the combat. By animation I mean combat animations.

Bladenic

I actually typically look forward to Tales music. I mean, not buying OST or anything, but just when playing through the games. From all the games I have played, I'd say Hearts is by far the worst. Almost completely forgettable, and it also has the worst battle themes IMO. Perhaps it was a side effect of the DS, but still. As for the best, barring Legendia which is incredible and on another level, I'd say Vesperia, Symphonia, and Rebirth are the best. I couldn't choose a favorite from those since they all have some standout tracks.

I'd also like to point out some lesser tracks that I think are quite good.

Rest of the Heart - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUyTdGMsszo

Talk about Sylvarant - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vkp9gMWn0A

Brilliant Life, Rising Light - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuQYokFWbO8

kayos90

I'm a big fan of Yuri's character. So every single time A Tragic Decision plays. I was like, "What a boss..."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well see that's just no good.

How's the world/dungeon design in this game by the way?
There are a few dungeons in this game that I don't really appreciate at all. I think it's still better than Innocence's. And Tempest's.

I'm a big fan of Yuri's character. So every single time A Tragic Decision plays. I was like, "What a boss..."
Yuri's one of the better protagonists in the series. He's great.

...I just like Asbel because I like how Takahiro Sakurai voices him.

kayos90

Yuri is Troy Baker.
And that's all that need be said.

Troy Baker is good but his pitches don't change or anything so he always has that one voice. Oh well, he's good at what he does. Thinking back on it, I really enjoyed the cast of Vesperia. Mainly Yuri and Raven. So awesome.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to change your member title to something unique?

Aeana

Troy Baker is good but his pitches don't change or anything so he always has that one voice. Oh well, he's good at what he does. Thinking back on it, I really enjoyed the cast of Vesperia. Mainly Yuri and Raven. So awesome.

He certainly doesn't sound the same as Yuri as he does as Abaddon or Straga in Darksiders.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yuri is Troy Baker.
And that's all that need be said.
I've never played Tales of Vesperia in English. No 360 yet, but I do have a copy of it! :x

I can only assume Baker did a good job with the character since people in general seem to like Yuri overall. I haven't seen any of the English scenes at all, actually.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to change your member title to something unique?
Only mods can do that, and that only happens in special cases.

kayos90

I've never played Tales of Vesperia in English. No 360 yet, but I do have a copy of it! :x

I can only assume Baker did a good job with the character since people in general seem to like Yuri overall. I haven't seen any of the English scenes at all, actually.

Only mods can do that, and that only happens in special cases.

You should really play thorugh Vesperia 360. I found the narrative to be worthwhile and the theme is really great.

Oh, I didn't know that mods have to do that. Oh well...

Bladenic

Yuri was the first Troy Baker voiced character I had heard, I believe. Huge fan ever since. Even Snow's dumbest moments are tolerable as a result. Also, Kanji <3

Vesperia also has my favorite Tales cast by far. Yuri, Raven, Estelle, Rita, Judith, Repede, and even Karol by the end were all awesome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You should really play thorugh Vesperia 360. I found the narrative to be worthwhile and the theme is really great.

Oh, I didn't know that mods have to do that. Oh well...
That's why some people have silly tags. ;)

Are there any narrative changes from Vesperia JP and Vesperia English? I've only played the PS3 version. Or is Yuri just handled a lot better in the English version?

kayos90

He certainly doesn't sound the same as Yuri as he does as Abaddon or Straga in Darksiders.

I didn't know he did those roles. Interesting.

That's why some people have silly tags. ;)

Are there any narrative changes from Vesperia JP and Vesperia English? I've only played the PS3 version. Or is Yuri just handled a lot better in the English version?

They're essentially the same. It's just the Patty stuff that's different. Yuri's english voice sounds better than the JP imo. I just enjoy the english cast more. I also found Vesperia 360 to be more coherent. idk... something about patty through me off.

I mean, I believe you that it's fine, but it doesn't take a lot to assume that a Tales game is going to have narrative elements that are so bad as to be actively offensive.

You can sub in literally any non-Legendia Tales game and describe it with this. Rushed and underbudget tossed-off Sakuraba plus a legion of untalented cronies.

Vesperia has story elements that are not bad at all and actually very good. Bebpo even classified them as Shakespearean, in which I would agree. Abyss brings up heavy themes in a usually real, not-too-corny way--and at the least, maintains a consistent, enjoyable plot. Final Fantasy XIII, for the sake of comparison, does not. My two cents.

And that's a bit harsh on the music. Sakuraba is an incredible composer. Some of his Tales works is worse than others--I've heard Graces is pretty bad here, but I've also heard Xillia is pretty good here. I love Legendia's music more than anyone in this forum, but in the midst of filler tracks, Sakuraba can really deliver at certain points in the Tales series. I know most people would disagree with me, but I thought Vesperia's OST was fantastic. Faaannntastic.

Syril

And that's a bit harsh on the music. Sakuraba is an incredible composer. Some of his Tales works is worse than others--I've heard Graces is pretty bad here, but I've also heard Xillia is pretty good here. I love Legendia's music more than anyone in this forum, but in the midst of filler tracks, Sakuraba can really deliver at certain points in the Tales series. I know most people would disagree with me, but I thought Vesperia's OST was fantastic. Faaannntastic.

Legendia was a different composer entirely. It was Go Shiina.

Toki767

Switched my ME3 preorder to Graces F today so my copy is fully paid off. Can't wait to finally play a Tales game on PS3. It's been a long time coming. Especially since the last Tales game I played was Eternia on PSP.

Legendia was a different composer entirely. It was Go Shiina.

Yeah...I know. What's your point? The poster said any non-Legendia work...and I was just stating, yeah, I love Legendia music more than the next guy, but that doesn't mean everything outside of Legendia (aka Sakuraba work) sucks.

That "legion" is essentially limited to Tamura (unless you count the sound effects staff), and there are plenty people who like his stuff (e.g. "A Vow of Unity" and "Fury Sparks" in Vesperia) even though it's often decreasing overall consistency and quality of the soundtrack (which apparently was Sakuraba's job to ensure while Tamura got free reign to add anything if I interpret the insightful SEMO interview correctly, would perfectly explain tracks like e.g. "Lying in the Darkness" in Graces, that one track is sooo unbelievable terribad). As for Sakuraba's contributions to Tales I usually consider it as "fast food" while tri-Ace/tri-Crescendo and others often ask for "haute cuisine". I personally actually like plenty of the "fast food" as he's forced to do simpler pieces than usual (the lighter orchestral and piano pieces he's now doing everywhere essentially started in the Tales series). Really liking his town themes (e.g. Vesperia, Graces, Xillia). With Xillia finally being a solo effort the soundtrack became consistent and overall quality actually comparable to his non-Tales works, and I like it a lot for it. But I also think that after Eternia Sakuraba's contribution was constantly improving (while Tamura's got worse) which seems not to be a widespread opinion.

I always look forward to your posts. You really know what you're talking about in this area.
Also, I completely agree with your analogy of fast food. It can be enjoyable, and it gets the job done, but the better stuff is in non-Tales games. With some exceptions, his work is still commendable. Honestly, I was pretty impressed by Vesperia's soundtrack.

Proven

Honestly, the vigilantism theme made me like Yuri less. Here I was playing with other people and had everyone else cheering him on, but it's just that he was doing the right thing by doing the wrong thing and he'd eventually end up dragging everyone else into it. It made a nice duality with Flynn, but it still ended up bothering me through a good chunk of the game. I was ashamed of him the same way I was ashamed of Karol for most of the game (can't outright hate a kid who has his uses and actually wants to be a better person, despite all of his gross failures). On that sense, with Vesperia and Abyss, they executed their intended themes quite well. For Symphonia, as much as I want to say the same, I know my view is colored by my upbringing and nostalgia.

Honestly, the vigilantism theme made me like Yuri less. Here I was playing with other people and had everyone else cheering him on, but it's just that he was doing the right thing by doing the wrong thing and he'd eventually end up dragging everyone else into it. It made a nice duality with Flynn, but it still ended up bothering me through a good chunk of the game. I was ashamed of him the same way I was ashamed of Karol for most of the game (can't outright hate a kid who has his uses and actually wants to be a better person, despite all of his gross failures). On that sense, with Vesperia and Abyss, they executed their intended themes quite well. For Symphonia, as much as I want to say the same, I know my view is colored by my upbringing and nostalgia.

I just really liked Vesperia's plot especially for the first half where it was really about
Yuri finding out what is right versus wrong. How to make a right with a wrong, how to make people happy yet yourself not feeling happy...things like that. It really didn't even touch up on a plot for a while and instead concentrate on building this not totally good person you're playing, whether you like it or not. As Bebpo pointed out, it was kind of Shakespearean and does not show a clear answer. Ultimately, it made me like Yuri the most in the entire series.
This is a striking
contrast
to FFXIII, in which (ending spoilers for FFXIII)
let's just all keep going! we gotta believe! sure if we look at this logically it is completely insane and a suicide mission, but let's all happily defeat the evil, and let's not care about the consequences, because we want change, even if that change is bad, but again that's logic let's not think about that. and then the ending actually comes up and it creates a ton of plot holes that i still have no idea wtf. argh.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I do thank this thread for lowering my musical expectations since I typically have insanely high expectations for Tales soundtracks.

Heck, the Xillia OST sounds amazing :)

A total shame since this is the only entry i'm issing .. i played graces only for 3 hours so i couldn't get a feel of the whole soundtrack ..

Overall i enjoy tales of games music ..a real shame Graces doesn't seem to deliver...

It will be hard since i've already finished Xillia and it was pretty much excellent on that point

They're essentially the same. It's just the Patty stuff that's different. Yuri's english voice sounds better than the JP imo. I just enjoy the english cast more. I also found Vesperia 360 to be more coherent. idk... something about patty through me off.

Yuri is better in the PS3 version because there is a better develloppement with flynn ..this is something they expanded with the movie too ..but the PS3 version really added enough scenes to really show how their bond of friendship is ...

Patty made raven and karol moments even more than what there were initially ...
Patty "moments" stretched the storyline but gave the cast enough time to breathe ...

Even troy baker can't put aside more story and more interraction between the cast .. PS3 version is superior , no doubt about it ..

Stage On

I just wish they hadn't taken so long to get Graces out. I've talked several people into buying it months ago after learning it was going to be localized and they've probably forgotten about it by now :(

Ties

Banned
I just wish they hadn't taken so long to get Graces out. I've talked several people into buying it months ago after learning it was going to be localized and they've probably forgotten about it by now :(
Remind them. Putting the thought back into their head is better than nothing!

Proven

Yuri is better in the PS3 version because there is a better develloppement with flynn ..this is something they expanded with the movie too ..but the PS3 version really added enough scenes to really show how their bond of friendship is ...

Patty made raven and karol moments even more than what there were initially ...
Patty "moments" stretched the storyline but gave the cast enough time to breathe ...

Even troy baker can't put aside more story and more interraction between the cast .. PS3 version is superior , no doubt about it ..

Hearing this makes me want to play through it. I watched the movie, but before that even while playing the 360 version I felt Flynn needed to be more prominent in the story. I'm also glad about Patty, as I got to try her out once and she was pretty fun. I like her character despite myself.

My friend imported a copy of Vesperia PS3, so I might organize a playthrough some time with a translation handy.

As for my own music preferences, in most Tales games the only songs that stay with me are the more common battle themes and remixes of the main theme. Anything else and I'll have to listen again to remember if I've even heard it before...
Example: I was extremely confused the first couple of seconds listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lx6OX4HwFM

manzo

Tales of Destiny Remake has the best dungeon themes in the series.
Invisible Hand - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JirwltBymuM
Clock Tower - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywpuhMmI-uE
A Research Scholar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gp1ugC3NR0

It sounds a lot like stuff from VP.

Those 3 songs are one of my favorite Tales tracks. However, the remakes which you posted are downright awful - mere shadows of their original PSX versions. Destiny R versions sound like elevator music.

Top Bottom