• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'The Last Of Us' previews, screens and video

Mikey Jr.

It's probably a scene where you control Ellie and have to shoot at an infected Joel.

Hold on. Can I Shyamalan twist your head right now?

Ellie gets bit.

She begins to turn.

You control Joel. As soon as you shoot her, the screen goes black. So you don't see her getting shot, but you know you killed her.

Credits.

Ohh fuck. That would get people talking and something people would probably not expect at all.

Ellie gets bit.

She begins to turn.

You control Joel. As soon as you shoot her, the screen goes black. So you don't see her getting shot, but you know you killed her.

Credits.

Ohh fuck. That would get people talking and something people would probably not expect at all.

people already expect one or both to die

Gorillaz

So which character inhales the fungus and has to be put down at/near the end of the game?

Both ;)

Thought ND said that nobody in the cast be in a sequel...if they do a sequel (which they probably will)

That basically gave it away from the get go

The greatest mindfuck of all would be... If no one in the main cast died, they cured the infection, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Wrap your head around that.

Gorillaz

Or they're just saying that.

No you cannot. It will be Joel!

They could be just saying that but ND doesn't seem to the type to clean house on actors/actresses for no reason. That's why I say either it really is a 1 and done or everyone goes down.

The greatest mindfuck of all would be... If no one in the main cast died, they cured the infection, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Wrap your head around that.
All thats missing is will smith and a dog living in new york city.

It's like speculation over The Last Guardian's ending all over again - who's going to die, the kid or the griffin? Except with TLoU, we will know the outcome in the forseeable future.

FACE

Banned

Ellie gets bit.

She begins to turn.

Credits.

If she's an annoying "witty" character like she appears to be I'd gladly unload my shotgun on her face.

Stark

Banned
They could be just saying that but ND doesn't seem to the type to clean house on actors/actresses for no reason. That's why I say either it really is a 1 and done or everyone goes down.

True. I do think if they let one of them live they will be in the sequel.

If she's an annoying "witty" character like she appears to be I'd gladly unload my shotgun on her face.

Fortunately, she doesn't appear to be.

Vitor711

Final section of the game: Kill the dude before he turns, survive the last level as Ellen Page.

Too similar to the ending of a certain critically loved darling from last year. It would work, but I'd love to see something more left field.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Too similar to the ending of a certain critically loved darling from last year.
It would work, but I'd love to see something more left field.

God fucking dammit....that just spoiled that particular game for me. I know I should have finished it by now but my PS3 is on the ropes and I haven't done the fix yet.

pargonta

i wouldn't mind a happy yet hopeless ending. you reach the coast after the long journey, finding nothing, sit and comfort each other, appreciating the bond you have built, roll credits.

can't wait!

Vasili2K38

Too similar to the ending of a certain critically loved darling from last year
. It would work, but I'd love to see something more left field.

Godammit I've almost 99% sure what game are you referring to, spoiler that shit smartass!! It's so obvious, I was planning to play that game this summer -_-.

Alchemy

What game is he talking about?

Edit: I'd report myself if it wasn't for the fear of being spoiled.

Seriously, now I'm curious.

EDIT:
Ooooh, I think I get it now. Derp.
Walking Dead? Though you don't actually play the last level as the girl.

Cyberia

A short Q&A with Bruce Straley in the latest issue of Edge:

How hard has it been to design gameplay to support the character-driven story you're creating?
That's something we've invested ourselves in, trying to build up characters, but also have great gameplay and great systems. I think over the course of the Uncharted series we really started to understand and perfect that idea - of how conflict propels story, but at the same time conflict is what makes interesting gameplay - by having an interesting set of tools but having an obstacle in front of you that you as the player have to overcome. You start marrying, like, how do we get those character moments to show up in the gameplay, and how do we get the gameplay to propel character moments? That's the challenge, and it's caused a world of hurt and pain and struggle and anguish. Yet if you just push it, and both ends try to meet in the middle to find that beautiful symbiotic relationship between gameplay and story, you find something new and inventive that gets the player truly invested in the overall experience.

How did you set about creating the improvised quality of combat?
What we wanted as players was to have a wealth of oppurtunities based on what you can scavenge, what the world affords you: 'Oh, i see a two-by-four; if i combine these scissors with this two-by-four it will change the way i can strategise.' There's an investment in crafting them and choosing, [because] there's overlaps between how these things craft together. Do i want to choose offensive, defensive [or] stealth? You have a lot of angles you can take just within the crafting sytem. And it's really up to you about how you want to manage your resources.

The fighting seems to be stealthy, punctuated by bursts of frantic action.
The overall theme for our AI is we want to be able to dip in and out - from combat into stealth and back into combat. We want that flow where, if i can get that sense that something's on me, it's a valid tactic to run. I mean, at some point when it comes to survival, running is your best option. People will lose track of where you went, and then they can go searching for you - and that affords the player the opportunity to say, 'Now i'm going to try something different. Oh, where i'm hiding it turns out there's a brick. How can i use this brick?' We're trying to make some systems that give the player a lot opportunity to suss out 'What's in front of me? What's in my inventory? What can i do?' And each time they play it, it's going to be a different outcome.

tha_devil

Might have been mentioned, but the ending i expect is a la resistance 2. Ellie will have to shoot Joel when he turns. In the next game she will be the protagonist. This will also mean they can counter the female competition from tomb raider, and have uncharted with a male protagonist.

Might have been mentioned, but the ending i expect is a la resistance 2. Ellie will have to shoot Joel when he turns. In the next game she will be the protagonist. This will also mean they can counter the female competition from tomb raider, and have uncharted with a male protagonist.

Maybe Ellie will turn and Joel would have to shoot her.

sappyday

Or maybe Joel gets infected, but doesn't tell Ellie. He drops her off at the designated place without telling her about. Last seen is Joel in abandoned place and then shoots himself.

That seems depressing for the sake of being depressing. It could work if we don't actually see Joel kill himself.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Or maybe Joel gets infected, but doesn't tell Ellie. He drops her off at the designated place without telling her about. Last seen is Joel in abandoned place and then shoots himself.

I've seen this already somewhere else.

This game suffers from not being available now.

My take (and what I would do) is have the reason for Ellie's transportation is for her to be a human test subject for whatever reason. Joel learns this and has to walk out of the building as she screams for his help. The player can either try and save her and get gunned down or walk out the building, when Joel exits cut to black and have her scream die out during the credits.

Vire

I really hope it isn't going to be a Children of Men story rip.

But hey, at least that was a phenomenal film.

Top Bottom