• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshots from now until launch

watershed

Banned
16487790_1307816672612793_6990871688680487608_o.jpg

So what do we make of the newest screenshot Nintendo shared on Facebook? I don't know what it is but it reminds me of those item posts in ALBW that told Link what item he needed for which dungeon. I'm sure this isn't related to dungeons though, so maybe hits to nearby secrets or something?

Flare

So what do we make of the newest screenshot Nintendo shared on Facebook? I don't know what it is but it reminds me of those item posts in ALBW that told Link what item he needed for which dungeon. I'm sure this isn't related to dungeons though, so maybe hits to nearby secrets or something?

Looks like that's where the Korok seeds go... Maybe it grows a tree with rare/special food?

Tanooki Tail confirmed.

mantidor

that is so obviously a deku leaf stand.

deku leaf item confirmed? but we already have a gliding thing...

Season changing mechanic like Oracle of Ages?

Probably not but damn imagine.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Also the Minish Cap stumps. Wonder if it's related to the Kokiri. Like to summon a merchant or something to exchange all those Kokiri seeds for stuff.

It's feels to me like it could teleport you. Or maybe launch you really high in the air?

Caelus

A symbol telling you to use a particular item in a particular area seems out of place with the design philosophy of the game, so perhaps it's like the Timeshift mechanic from Skyward Sword - but a "season-shift" mechanic instead, where that leaf symbol indicates autumn, and an area within a specific radius (perhaps within range of a Shiekah tower's wireless communication) changes season.

..yeah, that would be insane. More likely than not, it's where you plant a Korok seed. There appear to be indents within the leaf itself.

Dremorak

Banned
A symbol telling you to use a particular item in a particular area seems out of place with the design philosophy of the game, so perhaps it's like the Timeshift mechanic from Skyward Sword - but a "season-shift" mechanic instead, where that leaf symbol indicates autumn, and an area within a specific radius (perhaps within range of a Shiekah tower's wireless communication) changes season.

..yeah, that would be insane. More likely than not, it's where you plant a Korok seed. There appear to be indents within the leaf itself.

Thats what oracle of seasons was all about :D

watershed

Banned

I agree the stump signaling a specific item would be against the direction of the game. I never thought about planting seeds, have we done that in past Zelda games? I wonder how trees would grow...over the course of in game days or through some kind of time travel mechanic?

Dremorak

Banned
I agree the stump signaling a specific item would be against the direction of the game. I never thought about planting seeds, have we done that in past Zelda games? I wonder how trees would grow...over the course of in game days or through some kind of time travel mechanic?

Oracle of ages had planting seeds and then moving time forward to see it fully grown. Ocarina had planting beans to grow flying lilipads to reach inaccessible areas

Lotto

There is almost nothing appealing to me about the chosen image. Not negatively appealing, but even based on the footage we've seen so far it's such a nothing screenshot. Exceedingly average on a technical level, and artistically not a particularly astounding or emotionally evoking vista. A bunch of low res shitty treetops (and not that many at that), flat hill hidden in the distance, and shit rock textures.

Link's shield looks dope though so I'll give it that.

Kinda thinking it's time for a blackout on this game though. As much as I love Zelda, Nintendo has proven to be utterly abhorrent at respecting their own games in pre-release media and have a shocking tendency to spoil huge chunks of them. I feel with Breath of the Wild more than anything the sense of discovery and wonder is paramount to everything else; to wander into a wilderness you know nothing about. And while I don't really care what others do, I really, truly feel in this case my experience with this game will be significantly enhanced by seeing and knowing as little as possible about the world itself from hereon out.

So consider this a shitpost and a tap out.

I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, it's the approach I've taken with most games I do end up playing these days. Going in blind is the best, it subverts expectations and keeps me more engaged. Now that I think about it, most of the games I grew up with were very much "going in blind" since I watched my brother's play through them.

watershed

Banned
Oracle of ages had planting seeds and then moving time forward to see it fully grown. Ocarina had planting beans to grow flying lilipads to reach inaccessible areas

So you're saying there's a chance! I'm excited for even the smallest possibility of the world changing with time beyond cutscenes into the past.

Dremorak

Banned
So you're saying there's a chance! I'm excited for even the smallest possibility of the world changing with time beyond cutscenes into the past.

Given that its the master sword of restoration, I wouldnt be surprised if the whole world is dead when you start and you have to go around reviving it or something

Here's a question- is that stump exposed in the world, or did Link actually cut down that tree in order to expose the stump with that symbol? Maybe doing so exposed a Korok, and this is the symbol for an area in which you already found a Korok?

That tree looks a lot thicker than the ones he normally can chop down though. So I dunno.

New image from Facebook. Now I actually have a lot of questions about this one... What is the donkey carrying? Why? Where are they going?

p5woOkg.jpg

shiyrley

Banned
I didn't know where to post this, and I'm not sure whether of not it deserves a thread. So here it goes.

Apparently we have confirmation that there is no hookshot in the game? I was just checking random interviews and was like... wait what? Did I read that right?

It might be Miyamoto trolling us, but whatever. I was really curious as to whether this game would have some kind of hookshot, and apparently it doesn't.

Link (heh) to the interview

Yes I'm really impatient for Zelda and I'm continuously looking for stuff to read or watch lol

I didn't know where to post this, and I'm not sure whether of not it deserves a thread. So here it goes.

Apparently we have confirmation that there is no hookshot in the game? I was just checking random interviews and was like... wait what? Did I read that right?

It might be Miyamoto trolling us, but whatever. I was really curious as to whether this game would have some kind of hookshot, and apparently it doesn't.

Link (heh) to the interview

Yes I'm really impatient for Zelda and I'm continuously looking for stuff to read or watch lol

I don't know, but there is also the chance of a grapple hook. Would work well with the physics.

brad-t

I mean ... a hookshot doesn't seem like it'd be that cool or useful in a game where you can glide across the landscape and climb basically anything. I wouldn't miss it.

Maxinas

New image from Facebook. Now I actually have a lot of questions about this one... What is the donkey carrying? Why? Where are they going?

p5woOkg.jpg

I wonder, can NPCs die as well? I can't imagine these guys running into a group of enemies will turn out well for them.

On the back of the Donkey you see a little banner showing Rupees and I noticed they're not as...slim? As they normally are, which made me realise that I don't think I've even seen what the Rupees actually look like in this game, any pictures?

Holy crap has anyone seen the newest Facebook pic?

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16825757_1322320487829078_1426900859350351430_o.jpg?oh=26e6a49d89262ec88c693ac253b7486e&oe=59442AF1

Not gonna hotlink it just in case people don't wanna be spoiled, but this would suggest that
not only can the Sheikah Slate take pictures and selfies (which we had assumed), but there seems to be another character which can take pictures of you? Or maybe the Sheikah Slate has drone-like abilities??

phanphare

Banned

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16825757_1322320487829078_1426900859350351430_o.jpg?oh=26e6a49d89262ec88c693ac253b7486e&oe=59442AF1

Not gonna hotlink it just in case people don't wanna be spoiled, but this would suggest that
not only can the Sheikah Slate take pictures and selfies (which we had assumed), but there seems to be another character which can take pictures of you? Or maybe the Sheikah Slate has drone-like abilities??

well
Zelda does have her own sheikah slate

Luigiv

It's a rune.

13ruce

Banned

Zelda adventures together with you maybe!?

Fuchs

Ughhh..... why is it still February...

For the record I still think that Zelda's Sheikah Slate is the same one Link uses but in the past. Maybe you can set it up on a magical Sheikah tripod?

He still got his slate on his belt so someone else had to take that picture.

Luigiv

Ughhh..... why is it still February...

For the record I still think that Zelda's Sheikah Slate is the same one Link uses but in the past. Maybe you can set it up on a magical Sheikah tripod?

He still got his slate on his belt so someone else had to take that picture.

Like I said above
it's a Rune. There's another screenshot floating around that shows a camera Rune icon.

what-ok

You can see that Link
has his slate in the photo, so he's not alone in that scene.
Also,
gestures
confirmed?

Top Bottom